(Topic ID: 237207)

Stern Got The Harry Potter Pinball License (Speculation)

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stonecold.gif
    Potter (resized).png
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #2 5 years ago

Definitely hope this is true, but remember Stern also loves to troll around / stir the pot. I wouldn't consider this definitive, although perhaps cause for optimism.

#3 5 years ago

C R A P - Another LE purchase sight unseen.... LOL

#4 5 years ago

Better than Matrix I guess

#5 5 years ago

Really would have preferred JJP to get that license, I think a widebody layout would be a must with all the features that title could use.

#6 5 years ago

+1 For a real subway, come on Stern you can do it! This license has amazing potential for innovation, bring it.

#7 5 years ago

Honestly, if this was even true, I wouldn't want to see Stern do it. As far as I'm concerned, they completely flubbed up Star Wars. I can't see them doing another massive beloved franchise justice.

JJP or bust.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Honestly, if this was even true, I wouldn't want to see Stern do it. As far as I'm concerned, they completely flubbed up Star Wars. I can't see them doing another massive beloved franchise justice.
    JJP or bust.

No one flubbed up Star Wars.. Game is amazing

Not a JJP fan rather see Spooky or Stern do it.

#9 5 years ago

I heard it's a re-skinned Fish Tales.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

I heard it's a re-skinned Fish Tales.

You joke, but that would sell like hot cakes.

#11 5 years ago

I heard the Walking Dead voice actor is doing the callouts!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

No one flubbed up Star Wars.. Game is amazing

The playfield is basically vacant. I'd call that severely lacking considering how full and rich the Star Wars universe is. No amount of code can fix that.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The playfield is basically vacant. I'd call that severely lacking considering how full and rich the Star Wars universe is. No amount of code can fix that.

Not if you're in to shiny light up toys more than playing pinball that's true.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I agree.

#15 5 years ago

I never was a die hard harry potter fan but the theme does interest me if the game is done right I would be interested.

#16 5 years ago

If this pin was released it would be the holy grail of pins for me. The wife and I both love Harry Potter and I think it has the potential to be awesome. I'd sell a pin or two to take a chance on a NIB on this one. I can't think of a single other pin I'd wager a site unseen NIB purchase on.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Asmig:

Really would have preferred JJP to get that license, I think a widebody layout would be a must with all the features that title could use.

Agreed.

There's so many areas to cover that unless the entire game takes place in Hogwarts (where the side art are castle walls and the PF is different areas in the castle...perhaps with moving ramps like XMLE to act as staircases), you need lots of PF space to cover the main areas... which I'd personally designate as the Dursley's home, Platform 9 3/4, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Quidditch pitch, Hagrid's, and maybe the Forbidden Forest. It's hard to represent those all in meaningful ways without using the most space available, and multiple levels.

I think WoZ does this the best with separate areas of the PF being "mini-worlds". Harry Potter though just has so much more source material across all the books/movies than WoZ so it's even a greater task. I just can't see a Harry Potter pin, that's based on the whole story without having a loaded PF, and widebody would be the way to go.

However, if a pin was strictly one aspect (i.e. "Harry Potter and the Quiddich Championship" or "Harry Potter and the Triwizard Tournament"), the scope of what should be included becomes much more manageable... especially if Stern only can afford to put one toy on a spring for $6K.

#18 5 years ago

If Stern does it the game will be based on the first 1/2 of the first movie and will contain no actual clips or audio from the movie.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Playfield is awesome - Gameplay is amazing. Game got snubbed. Artwork is pretty killer. Sorry it didn't do it for you but this is a grail pin for many.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

If Stern does it the game will be based on the first 1/2 of the first movie and will contain no actual clips or audio from the movie.

True the clips in JJPOTC are stunning.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

True the clips in JJPOTC are stunning.

Yup, a few seconds of video and a ton of the highest quality custom animations in pinball. Meanwhile some of the animations in Munsters look like something from the Nintendo 64.

#22 5 years ago

While this obviously has some strong chance of being true given the source, I hope it's not. I was hoping for JJP to get the HP license. I like stern games, but HP is such a vast universe that it needs the JJP treatment to be done the right way. Deep rules and code, long ball times, similar to WOZ and JJP POTC. This would be a grail theme for me too, but if it's in the hands of Stern and not JJP, it won't get proper justice done to it.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Literally my first thought to those thinking of buying sight unseen, "Didn't they see Star Wars?" A good license does not guarantee a good game.

I was really hoping Stern was upping their game. Both Deadpool and Iron Maiden are really unique layouts and fun! Then Munsters comes out. Fan layout, a magnet, and a bash toy. Looks nice, but, at least with the Pro, it's pretty much been done.

Not really excited about any future titles Stern does.

#24 5 years ago

Would fit JJP much better. Stern would have to design the game to fit the pro model so cannot get too crazy unless it goes the BM66 route where premium only. I bet the license is expensive like Star Wars so visualizing dragon on a spring. I'm not into Harry Potter or the fantasy stuff at all but I can't think of a more popular title not done in pinball. LE's would sell out in minutes even it was a larger run.

#25 5 years ago

JJP would've made a helluva game but we wouldn't see it for years and the LE would be over $10k.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

JJP would've made a helluva game but we wouldn't see it for years and the LE would be over $10k.

The LE's are $9500, and worth every penny, given how much you are getting. And JJP is now not announcing games until very close to ship time, learning from their past mistakes.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

The LE's are $9500...

Havn't they gone up each time or is that just the standards?

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

The LE's are $9500, and worth every penny, given how much you are getting. And JJP is now not announcing games until very close to ship time, learning from their past mistakes.

Yeah. I don't mind waiting for quality, tons of features and deep and unique code. Haste makes waste and for $9k-$10k I'll happily wait for a JJP HP pin.

#29 5 years ago

This could have been a great JJP title, but i think Stern can deliver as well. (spike issues aside)... How quickly we forget the vast openness of Hobbit and the jam packed Deadpool PF, both seemed a bit lacking to me... You really need a little bit of magic to turn the perfect theme into a masterpiece.

I also agree with DylanFan71 JJP seems overwhelmed at the moment...

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Havn't they gone up each time or is that just the standards?

I think the prices did go up a bit, so I guess it's possible. If it is though I think they are going to price themselves out of the market.

#31 5 years ago

Who says, that Stern can´t build a widebody pin?
    So if they want to fit the theme, they can do it this way.They should do it this way.
    Why not?

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I think the prices did go up a bit, so I guess it's possible. If it is though I think they are going to price themselves out of the market.

Standards have gone up $500 each release I believe, that's what worries me.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Metengo:

The bean counters at Stern.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Standards have gone up $500 each release I believe, that's what worries me.

Yeah the price increases are not sustainable. Stern though is now charging $9k or more for LE's but they also have a $5500 -$6k model.

I wonder if Willy Wonka ends up costing $9k for a standard and $10k for an LE or if we see JJP produce a lower cost game with less features yet still retain the JJP quality, code depth, high quality animations, etc.

#35 5 years ago

That IP is about the details, and the experience. I’d have to pinball refinery that one. Wipe the stink off it...

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder if Willy Wonka ends up costing $9k for a standard and $10k for an LE or if we see JJP produce a lower cost game with less features yet still retain the JJP quality, code depth, high quality animations, etc.

This release from POTC seems close, so I'm wondering if they keep the price the same.
    I'd love to see a lower price from JJP, I can only afford one so I would never own 2 at the same time..of course I'm not their target market anyway.

#37 5 years ago

I'm not a harry potter fan but that theme does lend itself to a lot of creativity and it would kill on route.

#38 5 years ago

Theme it around Quidditch and make the scoring all weird like NBA fastbreak.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

Wasn’t the Stern/Kapow BM66LE 10k? If Kapow gets the HP license it will be more than BM66.

#40 5 years ago

How many movies were there? If there were 9, a retheme of Quicksilver will get you one movie per drop target. World's first 2 million dollar license (because she doesn't like us) and the Broom/Glasses/Flying Car editions are 10k/20k/30k.

How about this, retheme LOTR instead so the Vault talks will end on that one and everyone already is already pre-programmed for that layout to be a journey pin.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Metengo:

So if they want to fit the theme, they can do it this way.They should do it this way.
    Why not?

Their production line is tooled around standard width pins and reconfiguring it to wide body would not be practical for them.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Would fit JJP much better. Stern would have to design the game to fit the pro model so cannot get too crazy unless it goes the BM66 route where premium only. I bet the license is expensive like Star Wars so visualizing dragon on a spring. I'm not into Harry Potter or the fantasy stuff at all but I can't think of a more popular title not done in pinball. LE's would sell out in minutes even it was a larger run.

Within the movie prop collector circles, Harry Potter props & costumes are highly coveted and go for significant sums of money. Between Harry Potter fans and pinball enthusiasts, I think the pins would sell well as long as they are designed well and incorporate a lot from various aspects of the films.

Like Star Wars, Harry Potter is also a very visually rich universe that could easily fill up a widebody game with lots of "mini-worlds". I prefer to see interesting and interactive stuff on a playfield that moves, changes, and reacts to the ball. It's a physical game, after all.

Playfield is awesome - Gameplay is amazing. Game got snubbed. Artwork is pretty killer. Sorry it didn't do it for you but this is a grail pin for many.

I thought the gameplay was terrible--limited/boring shots and drainy. I'd give the artwork 7.5/10.

When it was first announced, I thought Stern would throw everything including the kitchen sink at the title, and I had considered making it my first NIB purchase...until I actually saw the playfield and played a few games on it. I really, really wanted to like it because I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I was incredibly disappointed. So, instead, I still have an eye out for a DESW and have not purchased any NIB games yet since my grail title has come and gone.

#43 5 years ago

Playfield is a ton of fun. Gameplay and sound effects are amazing. I would say the artwork is lacking. I was not into the game when it came out but now I love it. Just different which makes it stand out. For people that dont like the game or don't understand it watch Jack Dangers (Deadflip) stream where he scores around 12 billion. Its on Youtube. It looked like so much fun. He went through that whole game and opened it up. Would love to own Star Wars one day.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

For people that dont like the game or don't understand it watch Jack....

Sadly it will never add more toys to the playfield and thus their little tears will never go away. Not even Jack Danger videos can repair a ruined childhood.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

How much time do you have on a Premium? I'd love to walk you through the game in a home environment. The movie scene / audio integration is awesome. All the assets you would want are there from a video and audio standpoint. The hyperloop is fantastic and the exploding Death Star is a rush when it finally happens.

#46 5 years ago

I own 3 GG's and a Borg. Still wish JJP got this. It HAS to be a widebody in my humble opinion.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from speederice:

Theme it around Quidditch and make the scoring all weird like NBA fastbreak.

I literally loled

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Asmig:

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Within the movie prop collector circles, Harry Potter props & costumes are highly coveted and go for significant sums of money. Between Harry Potter fans and pinball enthusiasts, I think the pins would sell well as long as they are designed well and incorporate a lot from various aspects of the films.
    Like Star Wars, Harry Potter is also a very visually rich universe that could easily fill up a widebody game with lots of "mini-worlds". I prefer to see interesting and interactive stuff on a playfield that moves, changes, and reacts to the ball. It's a physical game, after all.

I thought the gameplay was terrible--limited/boring shots and drainy. I'd give the artwork 7.5/10.
    When it was first announced, I thought Stern would throw everything including the kitchen sink at the title, and I had considered making it my first NIB purchase...until I actually saw the playfield and played a few games on it. I really, really wanted to like it because I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I was incredibly disappointed. So, instead, I still have an eye out for a DESW and have not purchased any NIB games yet since my grail title has come and gone.

I hear what you are saying about Star Wars, Stern certainly could have added more. Whats there is fun but not for the NIB price. Overall Sterns Star Wars comes across as a game purposely designed to generate more profit compared to some of their other titles. The game is a lot of fun, just wish it had come with more toys and features. 3 translites instead of a mirrored bsckglass on the LE? Come on Stern.

I remember watching a video from a pinball show where Steve Ritchie was talking about designing Star Wars. At one point he said "Gary hates anything that costs money". He paused for a few seconds and then said he was just joking. That was very telling and coincided with what Keith Johnson said a while back on the Head2Head pinball podcast in regards to Gary questioning mechs going into games over their cost. That's why I don't want Stern making HP.

#50 5 years ago

Meh. This would be better than Superman 78, but still...meh. My money is safe. HP would be a game to play on location.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-got-the-harry-potter-pinball-license?hl=asmig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.