(206 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

451B826D-9794-41AF-83EE-57EEE5246A5D (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

#2 2 years ago

Godzilla by a lot

#3 2 years ago

It isnt even a comparison. Godzilla is the head and shoulders winner. I find the art better on the spooky games (which, considering the circumstances, I cant believe I'm even saying that). That's literally it. Everything else is way way better with Godzilla.

Also, op, very interesting choice of avatar. This account seems to be quickly perishable.

#4 2 years ago

What is better an apple or an orange?

I will bite into this juicy discussion.

For me Godzilla theme does not resonate. I never could watch the movies longer than ten minutes and to me seems like a dated franchise. I have to admit I had no idea the TOHO following was so large, and I had no idea what the Godzilla geeks were talking about with battling different monsters,etc. So I passed on theme alone. In terms of gameplay and layout it looks like a fun shooter. I like how Elwin captures all of the real estate and takes advantage of every square inch. I like that he uses unique ramp configurations with unique returns,etc. His innovation is really impressive and his designs help Stern get away from the cookie cutter layouts they have been teased about. I would like to get some time on Godzilla before I can truly judge it but for me it looks really similar to Avengers and looks to have that Elwin vibe to it. I love Avengers as a theme but Elwins Avengers has not struck a cord with me yet. I did not care for the cartoony art-big turn off. Then I thought the layout and ramps were epic until I played twenty plus games on it. It quickly got repetitive for me and I would need to own one to try and even get a gem or two(without it getting stolen!). For an expert pro player it is great but having it on 5 ball, with everything set to easy and still not able to progress significantly gets old quick. Hoping Godzilla does not feel like Avengers and feel repetitive? Not sure how many times I could hear BOC song during multi-ball without it getting old quick? I do think Godzilla will do well for operators and is a good game to launch the new platform with. At the end of the day it is still all about the operators and Godzilla should be a great game for operators.

Halloween theme for me is such a classic. Who does not know about Michael Myers?(probably the best horror franchise out there). I was sold on Halloween from day one and the unique layout is what sold me. The side target banks with Michael peering out from hedges captures the theme, the movie and gets rid of the standard side bank from most games-refreshing. The subways to the slings are something new and refreshing as well. The layout is unique with two uppers and has you really trying to nail the shots to progress. The art is off the charts and the topper they included really tops it off. The lights, sounds and call-outs are already good and getting better. I think this game is one of Spooky's best games made.

Ultraman I cannot comment on because I have no connection to theme and have not been following.

I think if you like AIQ, you will really like Godzilla, and if you are looking for something that plays nothing like traditional Stern's then may like Halloween/Ultra? Do you like apples or do you like oranges?

#5 2 years ago

Kinda a pointless thread as it’s all subjective, but if I must:

Unfortunately for me theme is very important and I would never buy a pin where the theme doesn’t resonate with me. Given that, I’m out on Godzilla and UM from the get go in terms of purchasing.

Overall I’d say Godzilla is the best overall - looks F’n amazing with lots going on. Very impressed with the whole package. Well done Stern.

I do have a dog in this fight as I have Halloween on order - all I will say now is that I’m hoping for the best.

#6 2 years ago

Hi there, Kaneda!

I've owned three Spooky machines NIB: TNA, ACNC and Rick & Morty.

Spooky is a lovely company with the best people on the planet but the machines are definitely "boutique". They really need to be tweaked to play correctly and I never did iron out some of the mechanical issues with ACNC in my time with it. I'm not a fan of their shot geometry, with perhaps the exception of TNA.

I've sold 2 of my Spookies (keeping R&M) and I'm definitely more into Sterns as I evolve as a player and inch towards mediocrity in my skill level. They have the odd adjustment to mechs that need to be done, but overall I find Sterns shoot much better (better polish), have better flipper power, are more balanced as far as rules, scoring, multi ball, etc. The rules and thought behind the games seem to make more sense and are better planned and thought out.

Peeps always complain about the price of Sterns, but how much does planning/design, engineering and coding cost? Stern employs entire departments for these 3 aspects. Spooky...not so much. This is part of the price for what you're getting.

I've got to be honest. When Halloween and UM were announced, as a previous owner of 3 Spooky NIB pins and having had to fight with the shot geometry klunk and mechanical issues...I wasn't remotely interested. I was shocked that they sold out so quickly.

I've recently acquired Elwin JP and AIQ and couldn't be happier with those 2.

I'm in on a Godzilla Premium.

#7 2 years ago

UM will be my 3rd Spooky title, 2nd NiB. While I do understand the objections when it comes to layouts and out of the box concerns, Spooky titles do have a certain magic to them and always seem to excel at creating a unique atmosphere. Honestly, ACNC doesn’t feel good to shoot, but it is a very unique pinball experience and has atmosphere in spades, not to mention some of the best art, sculpts, modes, and upper playfield available. I have AIQ right next to it, and also love it so far. Feels very satisfying to shoot, but also falls short of ACNC when it comes to the aspects I mentioned above. Can’t say I prefer one to the other, and I’m glad I have both. I feel the same about Godzilla vs UM/HW. Both look fun in very different ways. I’m certain Godzilla is going to be a blast to shoot and the toys & art look awesome. UM & HW have an extremely unique layout and art packages, and lots of risks taken there. Perhaps it comes down to what we are all looking for. If you want a “best of” pinball experience, I feel that Godzilla could be the one. If you want something completely different that stands out in a lineup of traditional titles, UM or HW would be a great choice. Personally, if I had the space & cash, I’d love to own all three!

#8 2 years ago

Godzilla without any doubt.

#9 2 years ago

For me, art package and music/sound on Spooky. Animations TBD but currently UM and Godzilla look good and a bit lacking in HWN.

Otherwise, will have to shoot some games on each. I love upper pfs, but building and bridge mechs look cool.

#10 2 years ago

Yep, unfair. David and Goliath situation here. You'll have fun with HWN and UM but they won't stay in your collection long...unless you buy pinball games just for the art. Godzilla will keep you entertained longer and will hold it's value...a much wiser purchase.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

Godzilla without any doubt.

Halloween without a doubt. Saturday morning cartoon pin vs adult theme. All day long.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Yep, unfair. David and Goliath situation here. You'll have fun with HWN and UM but they won't stay in your collection long...unless you buy pinball games just for the art. Godzilla will keep you entertained longer and will hold it's value...a much wiser purchase.

What are you basing that on?

Early HWN code? Pf on HWN looks hella-fun to shoot. Godzilla has a bridge and building. Both look fun, don’t get me wrong.
As far as collectibility or long term value? Spooky takes it there, but only cuz they’re trying so hard. Stern is doing what they been doing, good and bad.

#13 2 years ago

I would really love to put a Godzilla side-by-side to an Ultraman.

#14 2 years ago

Godzilla is one of my favorite things, pinball or not. But I’m having such a hard time getting into that game. Not sure why, but now that Lyman is gone from Stern, it’s hard to get excited about potential code changes and rules.l. when he was on a game you knew it would be a grand slam, especially B66 and Elvira. So for me, Halloween

#15 2 years ago

I've put like two games each on UM/HWN, undoubtedly there is more fun to be had with modes I didn't see, etc, but honestly I didn't really care for them at all - I didn't enjoy any of the shots. I'd take almost any recent Stern over them - Godzilla looks to be one of the better Sterns from the gameplay streams with very cool looking shots, though I haven't played it obviously.

No contest for me, long live Godzilla, King of Monsters.

#16 2 years ago

Oh I love these threads, right on time too.

-I like all three titles a ton, Spooky just needs to deliver at premium price point (animation/code etc). Boutique or not, expectations are higher now.

-Love the Sterns mechs which are a good step up with Elwins magic touch.
The only downside (probably unavoidable) is the eye is more drawn to the typical plastics used for Stern sculpts which continue remind me of building blocks.
Imagine mod folks will be all over it.
451B826D-9794-41AF-83EE-57EEE5246A5D (resized).jpeg451B826D-9794-41AF-83EE-57EEE5246A5D (resized).jpeg

#17 2 years ago

As much as I want to go with Halloween because I want to believe in Spooky and I love that they would even do Halloween or Ultraman…. the layout sucks. For me the whole right side of the playfield is not good, neither upper playfield is fun. The only exception is the sweet and fast inverted loop to the first playfield. Even the knife sitting at the side looks cheap and doesn’t reflect anything of note. Getting to play the game really just confirmed my doubts in it.

#18 2 years ago

Im choosing Godzilla

#19 2 years ago

New Spooky = It’s going in my house
New Stern = I can play it in at pretty much every location in town and don’t need to own it.

#20 2 years ago

I’m the target audience for both, born in 1965 and watched a lot of Ultraman and Godzilla. They both hit me equal as a theme almost interchangeable in fact.

I’m also a buyer of Spooky and Stern with both TNA and R&M and SW and JP being among last 4 new additions.

Have not flipped either. However from my eyes and what I like in a machine I really think Godzilla is the better pin.

Ultraman has a lot of upper PF action and shot blocked with drop targets and under PF ball movement. It looks exhausting to me not fun. Just don’t like the layout at all.

Godzilla is a lot of loops and ramps and Keith is a well known quality great and interesting rules and Stern has been hitting on all cylinders lately on the code.

1 week later
#21 2 years ago

Halloween looks terrible. The gameplay is clunky and the theme just doesn't work for pinball. 3 hedges? ridiculous. The giant bizarre man hand that looks like its jerking off, also ridiculous. The lighting doesn't fit the theme and the animations stink. Ultra man fairs a bit better but with that layout its still bad. Godzilla is plagued by a shitty soundtrack but the gameplay is off the charts, I would have preferred a less colourful style to the artwork, not B/W but not as cartoony. Godzilla for me.

#22 2 years ago

#23 2 years ago

Both. I got both. So you know I'm not biased like most others, who got one or the other. I honestly don't know which one I think looks better. Godzilla looks like a new wave futuristic Dr. Who and Halloween looks like a straight up pinball adventure. I think they are BOTH winners.

#24 2 years ago

Obviously Halloween.
I played one ball that lasted a few seconds on UM at Pinfest, and I played the Godzilla trailer on my phone while taking a break on a ropes course in the Black Forest. I've never seen or played a Halloween.

So...without a doubt, I'm confident in my vast experience that Halloween is unquestionably the best pinball of the two. I'm expecting it to climb to the #1 spot in the rankings shortly, and then we'll have quantitative proof that it's not only better than Godzilla but the best pinball ever (none of this subjective 'how do you feel' blah, blah, blah BS). I've already submitted my 11/10 review for it.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

Obviously Halloween.
I played one ball that lasted a few seconds on UM at Pinfest, and I played the Godzilla trailer on my phone while taking a break on a ropes course in the Black Forest. I've never seen or played a Halloween.
So...without a doubt, I'm confident in my vast experience that Halloween is unquestionably the best pinball of the two. I'm expecting it to climb to the #1 spot in the rankings shortly, and then we'll have quantitative proof that it's not only better than Godzilla but the best pinball ever (none of this subjective 'how do you feel' blah, blah, blah BS). I've already submitted my 11/10 review for it.

...and thank you for valuing my opinion

#26 2 years ago

I'm getting both. Head to head, Godzilla no doubt.

If I wasn't a huge halloween fan, I would pass on it but for someone that appreciates the music, theme, etc, I like what I see.

I don't care about godzilla, I don't care for the campiness but wow, the game looks and sounds great. The layout I'm still shaking my head at how good it looked on that stream. The whole game looks polished already and it's not even 1.0 code.

Could be Elwins best, easily stern's best since JP. I struggle to understand how stern charges the same amount for these games - Elwin's at this point appear to be the stern line of premium pinball.

#27 2 years ago

I really hope both titles perform exceptionally well, because that’s good for pinball.

But I am a bit concerned about the design/clunkiness of Halloween / Ultraman

1. 4 scoops, ugh. Anyone who says this table has “flow” is kidding themselves.

2. 3 hedges / Mike Meyers pop outs on the left. As much as Keith is a master of utilizing every square inch, this is the exact opposite - a waste of space.

4. Rope light LEDs on upper playfield trim. This just looks cheap and works against the vibe of Halloween. The glare those things make looks hideous.

5. Halloween animations are beyond terrible. If I was a licensor, I wouldn’t allow that to represent my brand. I’m honestly surprised this got approved by people representing John Carpenter.

6. Music was super annoying on Halloween on any stream I’ve seen of it. Can never seem to make out any callouts either.

7. Big hunk of plastic over drop targets. I don’t understand why it’s needed here but not on Stranger Things? Looks awful, and is the perfect surface for more led rope light glare.

I want Spooky to do well on their machines, because I like their company, and pinball needs their brand of indie passion, but there are some obviously poor choices going on here. A local arcade is getting a Halloween and I really hope I’m floored and proven dead wrong by the gameplay. I really hope there’s an overhaul to the audio / video package as well.

Godzilla looks and sounds phenomenal. Game play, comparing both streams, it’s not even close. Spooky should be extremely thankful they streamed their machine first.

Godzilla looks incredible, and complete.

Halloween / ultraman looks iffy, and obviously needs more work.

#28 2 years ago

I was in on Halloween day one but a little nervous since never owned a spooky. Meaning I expect a level of rough around the edges based on comments. Love love the art and theme. I did also get a godzilla premium because love the preview and theme too.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I would really love to put a Godzilla side-by-side to an Ultraman.

Shhh. Don't share my secret plan.

Serious answer? Without playing either, I am expecting Godzilla to be a better game overall. That said if you were thinking about owning both I'd buy Halloween/Ultraman first. Why? Mostly because based on history, Stern is still going to be selling Godzilla in 2025. The spooky games won't be impossible to find, but they will be more inconvenient to find after collections have settled a bit.

In on Ultraman, FWIW.

#30 2 years ago

Halloween for me - I ordered one based on the fresh and unique playfield layout. Much as I love the look of Godzilla, and I'm sure it will be an amazing game (especially being designed by Elwin he's a genius) - I might be getting a bit of Stern fatigue. I currently have XMen LE, Deadpool Pro (edit: literally just sold so I can upgrade to a premium), Star Trek LE, Ghostbusters Prem, Iron Maiden Prem, Avengers Prem.

I've played a few more of the recent ones too, and I dunno, it probably won't make much sense but they are just starting to feel a little "samey" even with Keiths incredible design and Yeti's amazing art. I really wanted to try something different for my next pin, and Halloween looks fantastic in that regard, plus I am a MASSIVE fan of the original movie so it was a no-brainer for me. I'm a sucker for artwork too, ZY is one of my favorite ever pinball artists, but my gosh Halloween looks absolutely amazing art-wise.

I'm not really sure these machines are comparable in terms of which one is better - but you are getting a brilliantly designed toy filled Stern on one hand and a very unique looking, cult movie boutique pin on the other. You are bound to gravitate quite heavily to one of them based purely on personal preference.

#31 2 years ago

There is a Ultraman at a local arcade around the corner from me and it is a lot of fun, very different when it comes to shots. But for me I love that Godzilla theme and the faster pace. But no one can go wrong with any 3 of these machines

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Godzilla is one of my favorite things, pinball or not. But I’m having such a hard time getting into that game. Not sure why, but now that Lyman is gone from Stern, it’s hard to get excited about potential code changes and rules.l. when he was on a game you knew it would be a grand slam

I'm a Lyman fanboy...but when Elwin designs a game, you can sleep easy knowing the rules/code will be awesome. Jurassic Park was some next level shit...and now that team has my full respect and attention. They went a little too far on AIQ, but I still have to respect the crazy creativity put into it. Godzilla looks a little more approachable, but I'm sure it'll have tons of nuance and satisfying code.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from 2manyhobbies:

But no one can go wrong with any 3 of these machines

I can, Halloween and Ultraman would be "going Wrong"

#34 2 years ago

I’m in for Godzilla and UM but I fully expect Godzilla to be the better pin and to stay in my collection longer.

#35 2 years ago

I ordered a Halloween ce on day 1, and gz le . I've returned the Halloween and it was an early 200 # and resold immediately. Godzilla, I could see just by the trailer, will be here a long time.

#36 2 years ago

That first vid is cringeworthy with the animator saying, “to all the naysayers whatever” Then he plays the game and in 10 mins there are only 2 animations…bad look for spooky. It has to get better than that. UM and GZ on order.

#37 2 years ago

Godzilla LE all day!!

#39 2 years ago

If you like classic Williams / Bally games go with Halloween or Ultraman from Spooky. I truly believe that Spooky games play the closest to many of those 90s classics. Additionally, the standard editions have zero gameplay changes and represent good a decent value when it comes to NIB. Sterns play like, well...Sterns. If that's your thing go with Godzilla. I tend to prefer the 90s era games, but I miss having a Stern in my collection. Keith Elwin has been knocking it out of the park. I went with Ultraman, because I know I knew I wouldn't have an issue finding a modern Sterns on locations. That said, I'm quite sure that each owner group will feel they have made the right call.

#41 2 years ago
#42 2 years ago

Ugg...I wouldn't use that first vid as a good representation for HWN here.

Godzilla will be amazing. But nothing is going to keep me from my Halloween! I am excited for both machines though. Great time for the hobby (other than pricing of course). Awesome machines being released left and right. Good stuff.

#43 2 years ago

There's no comparison, Godzilla all day.

#44 2 years ago

I guess I will find out, I have UM CE and Godzilla LE on order. They will be side by side.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I guess I will find out, I have UM CE and Godzilla LE on order. They will be side by side.

This is the way.

#46 2 years ago

Played Halloween again last night. Now confident in my Godzilla choice. Fun but not comparable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grand Haven, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinbald Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-vs-halloween-u-man?hl=galvez1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.