(Topic ID: 309951)

Stern Godzilla::::: the best game ever?????

By douggalecawitz

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by darkryder
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Godzilla, the best game ever”

• Yes. Best game ever 120 votes
    44%
  • Great, but overrated 117 votes
    43%
  • Not that good 38 votes
    14%

(275 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6F32AF92-7235-4A2C-9B54-0B089BEB93B8 (resized).jpeg
2C0E3391-1400-43E7-B84B-0A5BCA0648C2 (resized).jpeg
14C1D1C1-3722-485F-8882-43C40A4376A3 (resized).jpeg
49973-sanderson-on-newhart-sanderson-interview-tv-store-online (resized).jpg
think (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220213_213909_790 (resized).jpeg
FE7D4023-9E3C-465B-8430-87E66082E6D3 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 3.26.55 PM (resized).png
467A670C-323A-4075-8314-5649D23AEB40.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NPO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 2 years ago

Wanna know why MM, AFM, and MB were the top 3 pins on Pinside for years?

Because they had 15+ years of staying power and exposure to back it up.

Now, as soon as a new game comes out, BOOM, #1 the first couple of weeks. Got to protect that $7000 - $15000 investment

Now, JP disrupting the top 5 is interesting. It has been there a solid 2+ years now, and people do rave about its rule set and general playability/fun. That one may be there to stay.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

I also have a theory as to why Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars, Adam's Family, and Monster Bash have stayed at the top: Nostalgia
Lots of pinsiders holding on to mint games from 25 years ago trying to protect their investments too. Heck, once Godzilla starting getting such rave reviews, I saw a flood of new glowing reviews for MM, AFM, MB, etc.... odd right?
Nostalgia is a hellava drug. Ask yourself what your favorite band is - let me guess, you heard them when you were in your teens or early 20s? Odd. Literally every single person I've ever met discovered their favorite bands of all time when they were kids.
Godzilla doesn't have nostalgia yet. Nor does Elvira House of Horrors, or Dialed In, Rick & Morty, Total Nuclear Annihilation or Stranger Things (theme based on 80s nostalgia, but that's not exactly what I mean here).
Most people probably believe the best pinball machine is the one that started or cemented their love affair with pinball, and since pinball hit a serious streak in the mid 90s, it's no wonder that today's 40-50 year olds love those machines... they were teens and early 20-somethings back then.
Are they still great games today? For sure, but as someone who only got into pinball in the last 3 years, I find those 90s pins to be extremely shallow and clunky playing, compared to tables like Elvira House of Horrors, Godzilla, Avengers, Munsters, Tron, Stern Trek, etc. I find that Stern games just shoot so much better than anything from the 90s. I love the themes from those older games, and the callouts and music too, but they just feel like exactly what they are - arcades designed for short, shallow, fun experiences to get more quarters in the machines.
I played mostly arcade video games in the 80s and 90s. I have tons of fond nostalgic memories of them. Do I think Double Dragon is a better brawler than Yakuza Zero? Of course not... but some people actually think so.
Nostalgia. It made millions on that turd of a Matrix movie recently. It's so powerful, it should almost be illegal.
Today, the home market is as big, if not bigger than the arcade market. The games have been designed that way for well over a decade now, and it shows. Deep rulesets. Long tail support for code.
Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars, Adam's Family, and Monster Bash are all amazing games, even by today's standards, but they are most definitely shallow, but that's okay. I still play Double Dragon and Final Fight now and again too, because sometimes shallow, simple fun scratches that itch more than something you have to think too hard about. I'm looking at you, Avengers.

That is a very fair and well thought-out response! I agree with you.

I will say AFM is the game that people gravitate to when they come over and are not hardcore pinball players. It's inviting with an open layout and it's obvious: go after the big-ass saucer in the middle. The sounds, callouts, and overall theme still screams fun - vs something like BSD that is a vicious 3-ball game in 1 minute or less.

I will absolutely agree with you: the nostalgia/fun I had when I played it at age 14 kept its hold all the way to when I bought mine in 2016 at 34 years old.

That being said: try explaining to a non-pinball what to go after on GZ or AIQ. They won't know WTF to shoot for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 375.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinMod Industries

$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

15,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Loveland, CO
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NPO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-the-best-game-ever?tu=NPO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.