(Topic ID: 309951)

Stern Godzilla::::: the best game ever?????

By douggalecawitz

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by darkryder
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern Godzilla, the best game ever”

• Yes. Best game ever 119 votes
    43%
  • Great, but overrated 117 votes
    43%
  • Not that good 38 votes
    14%

(274 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6F32AF92-7235-4A2C-9B54-0B089BEB93B8 (resized).jpeg
2C0E3391-1400-43E7-B84B-0A5BCA0648C2 (resized).jpeg
14C1D1C1-3722-485F-8882-43C40A4376A3 (resized).jpeg
49973-sanderson-on-newhart-sanderson-interview-tv-store-online (resized).jpg
think (resized).jpeg
Resized_20220213_213909_790 (resized).jpeg
FE7D4023-9E3C-465B-8430-87E66082E6D3 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 3.26.55 PM (resized).png
467A670C-323A-4075-8314-5649D23AEB40.gif
There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 2 years ago

Also, best is subjective, especially over time.

When I was a beginner I loved Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness, Monster Bash, etc. But as I became a better player those games became tiresome and and boring to me. The goals were too easy and the shots were too similar.

Now I'm finding that the tougher games are far more interesting. I loved Alice Cooper for years as my favorite game. So challenging and no single game has made me a better player more than that one. The ruleset on Avengers is so deep and complex that I had to read and study it to understand it. You don't have to do that on Bally/Williams of the 90s, so maybe that's why I love Avengers so much.

OK, back to work.

#102 2 years ago

How do you know if the coil stops are bad?

I’m having an issue with my ST that one flipper is all the sudden too weak not sure what is the issue.

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m having an issue with my ST that one flipper is all the sudden too weak not sure what is the issue.

Coil stop is the 1st thing I would check. Do you have any metal filaments in the cabinet under it?

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Seriously? nicoy3k is this true? Because flipping a game and ducking the Pinside fees is just inexcusable.

He was just about to pay that sales fee today. Right after he mailed that key.

#105 2 years ago

I understand the GZ love but I don’t agree with it. It’s wonderful but I simply don’t want to play it- just like EHOH for that matter.

I sold my GZLE after a couple mos. It was for unplanned financial reason and inventory control. I’m supposed to still be firmly entrenched and miss it and be trying to figure out a way to grab another one for home but I’m not.
Maiden? DP? STH? TWD’s? METs? I always found a way to reacquire for stints at home. With GZ, there is just something missing.

#106 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yup...he just needs to post some positive comments on pinside and then he'll get that done.

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Look, Postmaster General LeJoy...his being a flake doesn't make your postage go up! And the sentence structure of your post is boring and barely has any letters in it. D+. Get a life!

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I'm going to reply first and read the replies second, so I'll probably say something that's already been said.
-- That the upper orbit shot, if not hit perfectly, feeds the left outlane 50% of the time.... maybe it's just this particular game's setup that I'm playing.
-- I hate the skill shot, especially the super. Even when I hit it, it doesn't register more than half the time. If I go for the smaller one, it'll feed the right out lane 10% of the time. It feels non-exciting to do.
-- The scoop is ridiculous. I'm either dialed in perfectly, or I miss it just barely over and over again. Nothing more frustrating than trying to start a game on ball one and the scoop shot is off by a millimeter and goes out the out lane.
-- The left ramp, even when hit perfectly, bounces around sometimes and doesn't make it to the top. I took a slow motion video of it. It's like there's a dent in the rail or something, but I don't see anything with the naked eye so I have no idea what's going on. It's similar to the Rick & Morty inner orbit shot that people had to adjust. Again, maybe it's just the machine I'm playing and it's not the case for everyone.
-- I with there were more modes. I feel like I'm playing the same modes too often. I'm not tired of it yet but getting there.
-- I hate the fact that the tower allows balls to drain down the middle on multiball. A very nice inexpensive mod allows it to feed one of the flippers, but Stern shouldn't have built it like that and made the mod community fix this issue.
That said, THE GAME IS AWESOME!
-- It's not packed with color changing LEDs but it has enough strategically placed to make it appear that they are everywhere!
-- The sounds are amazing and the music is very nice. I have the theme song stuck in my head at odd hours of the day, and it's not annoying (yet).
-- There are multiple pathways to earn points
-- The further in the game you go, the more rules you discover. I love that.
-- The spinner shots are awesome. That was Stern's bread and butter back in the day. I love spinners!
-- The left to right movement of the ball makes the standard playfield feel like a widebody. How did Keith do that!?
This game is amazing. Even with my nit-picking, I still can't stop playing it. I may like the rules of Avengers better, I like the layout of Jurassic Park better, I like the music and sounds of Iron Maiden better, but this game has a better overall package.
Best game I cannot say yes or no yet, but I keep wanting to hit the start button, so for now it's definitely pretty awesome and a contender to be the greatest of all time in my book.

If you think your game set up causes some of the issues, change how you have set up. One of the joys of ownership.

#109 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Added yesterday: Thanks for downvotes, didn’t realize opinions weren’t allowed on pinside. Please proceed wit your Godzilla circle jerk.

Homie, I doubt anyone downvoted you for your thoughts on the game lol. Your opinion was fine and you backed it up with well thought out and balanced reasons. Your childish "fight me" attitude, your questionable pinside marketplace behavior, and the out-of-left field simile you got moderated for, are the reasons for the downvotes.

Speaking of your simile, by way of being descriptive writing, it was lazy at best. The fact that some sticky, unwashed corner of your mind thought that it was both apt and funny, denotes probable bigotry on your part, but definitely demonstrates your painful level of ignorance on female anatomy. I speak with authority on this matter: as a middle school teacher I have yet to hear even one 7th boy say something this dumb. In your future attempts at anatomical humor, I suggest that you will appear less uneducated if you stick to writing jokes about your micro[removed].

This post was moderated and edited: Cruelty

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

Homie, I doubt anyone downvoted you for your thoughts on the game lol. Your opinion was fine and you backed it up with well thought out and balanced reasons. Your childish "fight me" attitude, your questionable pinside marketplace behavior, and the out-of-left field simile you got moderated for, are the reasons for the downvotes.
Speaking of your simile, by way of being descriptive writing, it was lazy at best. The fact that some sticky, unwashed corner of your mind thought that it was both apt and funny, denotes probable bigotry on your part, but definitely demonstrates your painful level of ignorance on female anatomy. I speak with authority on this matter: as a middle school teacher I have yet to hear even one 7th boy say something this dumb. In your future attempts at anatomical humor, I suggest that you will appear less uneducated if you stick to writing jokes about your micro[removed].
This post was moderated and edited: Cruelty

Oh man, I missed whatever Mr. Personality Plus posted that got moderated for vulgarity. This guy is fun.

#111 2 years ago

So, with the theory being used for this thread(post title), that would mean for example, the #1 pick in this year’s NFL draft, is already the greatest of all time! Doesn’t make sense does it? Like anything else new, time will tell, once it has a few years under it’s belt. There has to be a time period for providing itself. Godzilla pin has not been around long enough yet.

It may end up there, but it may not. I’d enjoy the new Rush pin to be #1, but realistically I’m not expecting it to be.

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

Would actually love to hear from one of the 30 trolls. Honestly I don't think I've ever heard anybody say it's a bad game certainly not anybody walking away from playing it. Lol I didn't want to like it either cuz of the prices but is that it? You're just trying to talk yourself into hating it?!

Not sure I'm a troll, but there are some negative aspects to the game.
1) The bridge is poorly engineered and many have had issues with excessive wear very early on.
2) The tower has a tendency to drop balls SDTM.
3) Not everyone likes Blue Oyster Cult.
Fanboys and resellers have given a lot of phony 10.0 ratings to this game, but I'm of the mind that no game is 100% perfect. Despite these flaws, I could see how some people would still consider this #1. All the modern games are so much deeper than the superpins of the 90's, and yet its that nostalgia that makes me favor them over Godzilla.

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Remove the coil stop and see if the nub is still attached. You may find it floating in the solenoid where the plunger is.

#114 2 years ago

It's no Target Alpha.

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from Mechulus:

Not sure I'm a troll, but there are some negative aspects to the game.
1) The bridge is poorly engineered and many have had issues with excessive wear very early on.
2) The tower has a tendency to drop balls SDTM.
3) Not everyone likes Blue Oyster Cult.
Fanboys and resellers have given a lot of phony 10.0 ratings to this game, but I'm of the mind that no game is 100% perfect. Despite these flaws, I could see how some people would still consider this #1. All the modern games are so much deeper than the superpins of the 90's, and yet its that nostalgia that makes me favor them over Godzilla.

Nope not a troll at all. Every pinball game has issues especially out of the gate and many are correctable over time. Not looking for the ppl that said its not the greatest game ever. Looking for one of the ppl that said its a bad game. Did you? And if that's your reason why your reason is very flawed.

#116 2 years ago

Who has had early wear on the bridge mech??? Show of hands??

#117 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Who has had early wear on the bridge mech??? Show of hands??

Our bridge is fine.. Works great!

#118 2 years ago

None here, when I got the game I thought it was hitting and put a clear rubber dot under bridge. Still on after 650+ plays, no damage.

#119 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Our bridge is fine.. Works great!

Yeah, that’s a new complaint to me. Mine has been just fine.

#120 2 years ago

I have about 600 plays and my game is great. Wicked fun. I did order some extra coil stops and a few other things from Pinball Life. Of course I forgot the locks that Hayfarmer showed me. I actually have a local locksmith about 15 minutes from my house though and he was able to match up the key so and now I have a spare.

#121 2 years ago

Definitely one of my favorite pins in recent times but no way to say if it's the best ever. Regardless, in the end it's just a game and I don't believe in bolted to the floor, so it will eventually be sold like any other pin.

#122 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Definitely one of my favorite pins in recent times but no way to say if it's the best ever. Regardless, in the end it's just a game and I don't believe in bolted to the floor, so it will eventually be sold like any other pin.

Man I want to believe in this philosophy SO BAD, yet I struggle to ever sell a machine. And I'm not a hoarder. I just love them all.

#123 2 years ago

It's all subjective. I have been impressed with Godzilla from day 1 at Expo. I also agree that eventually I will sell them all for another pin and have been tempted lately as I enjoy playing most pro models as any premium or LE. Heck, I LOVE jurrasic homepin.

I will say I play Stranger Things more than Godzilla for some reason.

They’re all fun Just play!

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from DropGems:

The Shadow has entered the chat…

We rotate machines from our B/W stock on our floor. The Shadow (I have not really played the shadow that much) is the one people keep saying to please not rotate out.

#125 2 years ago

The better question should be is Medieval Madness even a top 5 game anymore.......I could think of 10 games id personally rather have them MM.

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

The better question should be is Medieval Madness even a top 5 game anymore.......I could think of 10 games id personally rather have them MM.

MM was released right before pinball lost favour with the masses. It’s a fantastic game of course, but it was also undeniably “tops” for the next number of years (decade? More than?) while pinball companies were cutting costs to survive. So it rightfully amassed thousands of “best game ever” ratings over time.
There’s so much competition now for any new release that it’s pretty crazy to have anything knock it from its perch.
Especially when you have some people who will throw it a “1” just to tumble the numbers.
I personally don’t think I could ever pick a single game as best ever because no matter the game, I need some variety after awhile. But I do think that Godzilla might be the current MM.

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Man I want to believe in this philosophy SO BAD, yet I struggle to ever sell a machine. And I'm not a hoarder. I just love them all.

I’m good at selling them. My problems come from the games I like playing. I’m not bolting them to the floor, but I won’t sell a game I enjoy playing. I’ve made the mistake of thinking I’ll just find another copy if I miss it, but that hasn’t held true.

#128 2 years ago

I think instead of best ever it's best ever so far. GZ is excellence in pinball as it's fun for the newcomer but you like it more after months of ownership- that's what make a good pin great. But then there's IMDN that's great too! Then DP...I want them ALL. But if you had to have just one pin right now I'd get GZ

#129 2 years ago

Where is this list of the 30 trolls?
People use this troll word allot and do not think they understand what it means.

Quoted from MacGruber:

Would actually love to hear from one of the 30 trolls. Honestly I don't think I've ever heard anybody say it's a bad game certainly not anybody walking away from playing it. Lol I didn't want to like it either cuz of the prices but is that it? You're just trying to talk yourself into hating it?!

Hard to believe only 2 node boards under it mounted to the underside playfield when iron maiden has more . I guess 2 bash toys and a building mech is not to demanding or complicated. Where is the beef/guts $$ . Where is the 7800-10500 worth of materials $$ Perhaps the manual is worth at least 2k of any of these homepin Pro?prem?le models 2500 for the rest of the components and perhaps 2500 Per Pin to The license . only at 7k leaves only 800 profit on a pro . Now i understand . may BTTF Homepin pros go at 8200 Prem at 10k and the le Homepin can fetch 12500 one of 1500 Limited's why stop at 1000 Limited's ..

#130 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

People use this troll word allot and do not think they understand what it means.

Hard to believe only 2 node boards under it mounted to the underside playfield when iron maiden has more . I guess 2 bash toys and a building mech is not to demanding or complicated. Where is the beef/guts $$ . Where is the 7800-10500 worth of materials $$ Perhaps the manual is worth at least 2k of any of these homepin Pro?prem?le models 2500 for the rest of the components and perhaps 2500 Per Pin to The license . only at 7k leaves only 800 profit on a pro . Now i understand . may BTTF Homepin pros go at 8200 Prem at 10k and the le Homepin can fetch 12500 one of 1500 Limited's why stop at 1000 Limited's ..

the list is the poll vote. Also trying to get value per dollar in today's marketplace. Lol and I guess that's my answer on ppl not liking the game. It's expensive there you have it yup its not that great and trolls don't exist got it.

#131 2 years ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

the list is the poll vote.

think (resized).jpegthink (resized).jpeg
#132 2 years ago

As long as it’s not MM - most overrated game of all time.

#133 2 years ago

its not expensive . they all became too expensive! Not every game is worth a Medival Madness Or Monster Bash Type money to me is all.
Makes all the titles we could not afford before affordable.?

Quoted from delt31:

Add Godzilla to that.
Just look at what you get in a GnrLE at 10500 and compare to Zilla#LE . Nothing compares /nothing compares TOO YOU

#134 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Agreed. Totally overrated. Now someone sell me this overrated piece of garbage for cheap. I’ll do you a favor

#135 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

https://www.pinballlife.com/keyless-coin-door-lock.html
I put these on all our games, no need to worry if you don't get the other key.

Sold out.

Do you think I will be happy with the GZ Pro? Or should I wait 6 months for Premium?

#136 2 years ago

i do not. get a premium if not worried about money. the pro was no fun after i got hold of an LE . but the LE upgraded speakers sound worse than SW premium speakers /do not ask me why / The GdLe speakers look better and are kenwood but alas SW prem sounds better . I told the owner he should swap em out ..Lol
Anyway back to prem over Pro.
The Premium if i wanted one . In my honest opinion it is more fun with the extras you do get

Quoted from Av8:

Sold out.
Do you think I will be happy with the GZ Pro? Or should I wait 6 months for Premium?

#137 2 years ago

Target Alpha and his brothers disagree
49973-sanderson-on-newhart-sanderson-interview-tv-store-online (resized).jpg49973-sanderson-on-newhart-sanderson-interview-tv-store-online (resized).jpg

#138 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

its not expensive . they all became too expensive! Not every game is worth a Medival Madness Or Monster Bash Type money to me is all.
Makes all the titles we could not afford before affordable.?

Add Godzilla to that.
Just look at what you get in a GnrLE at 10500 and compare to Zilla#LE . Nothing compares /nothing compares TOO YOU

so you're a show me the receipt where my money go guy hah. Well I think there was a different thread trying to compare that #hi! box GNR to GDZ. All the money in the world won't put that game on this level so you're gona hafta miss me with that one.

#139 2 years ago

if you own them and have them sit next to each other , you would then scratch your head in wonder. Whats the big fin deal here. Fan boy much.
Jeez man there is nothing in it . Look under it . Look on top.
Do the same with a Gnr LE.
Where's the beef
Stern is Cashing Out big time, Good for them but bad for those who can't afford it .
as far as what you get in both ,you can NOT Compare it / The cost to Build one and the other are so far off and it is obvious

Quoted from MacGruber:

so you're a show me the receipt where my money go guy hah. Well I think there was a different thread trying to compare that #hi! box GNR to GDZ. All the money in the world won't put that game on this level so you're gona hafta miss me with that one.

Not talking Whats more fun. I was Comparing Costs to build and to buy !

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Well, I found one.

#141 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Well, I found one.

I wouldn't call him a troll. I'd just say he's a few node boards short of a fun game.

#142 2 years ago

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Sold out.

Buy the Pro now, have fun and learn the game. Play a Premium in the meantime and decide in 6 months. Anyway, that’s my plan.

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Buy the Pro now, have fun and learn the game. Play a Premium in the meantime and decide in 6 months. Anyway, that’s my plan.

Agreed, I have a pro and love it. I’ve played the premium, and it’s sweet but do not regret getting the pro at all

#145 2 years ago

I mean it's no Whirlwind or Skateball, let's not go crazy here, but the few games I played on it were fun

#146 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

I mean it's no Whirlwind or Skateball, let's not go crazy here, but the few games I played on it were fun

Agreed. GZ is an amazing game, but it's no Surf 'n Safari, let's not go nuts here.

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

If you can get the Pro, get the Pro. Then in 6 months when you can get a Premium, get it, decide which you like better, and sell the other one.

1. Buy Pro
2. Buy Premium
3. Sell the lesser game (by your standards) for more than you paid.
4. PROFIT!

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangry:

Agreed, I have a pro and love it. I’ve played the premium, and it’s sweet but do not regret getting the pro at all

I ordered a GZ pro and mirror blades. Flipper Fidelity. Stoked.

[Removed]

#149 2 years ago

i approve this comment

Quoted from Chambahz:I wouldn't call him a troll. I'd just say he's a few node boards short of a fun game.

#150 2 years ago

So GZ Pro doesn't have Super Train? I just notice this on a IE live stream.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 16.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Side Gig Studios

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Loveland, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

16,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-the-best-game-ever/page/3?hl=jeffswack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.