Screenshot_20240408_215256_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1439 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408-172718 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240408-172819 (resized).png
IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5052 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1374 Removing the ugly Insider sticker on the backbox. Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1795 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Magnet swing adjustments Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #3000 Register Your Game With Insider Connected Posted by TrixTrix (2 years ago)

Post #3546 TECH:LIGHTING. Backbox brightness adjustment PSA Posted by Chisox (2 years ago)

Post #4481 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Building stepper adjustment settings Posted by Palmer (2 years ago)

Post #6364 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bridge and Building adjustments Posted by koops (2 years ago)

Post #6745 MOD: Flame Speaker light kit Posted by DugFreez (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider navajas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4392 2 years ago

My Mom got her Gozilla Premium a few days ago. She really wanted a Jurassic Park but Stern never shipped it. She loves Godzilla second only to dinosaurs in general so it's a good consolation prize.

Damned if that game isn't fun as hell.

Had been a bit of a pinball hiatus for me, and am largely oblivious to how the hobby / market has been the past few years.

I guess. Well. Welcome back me.

#4398 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Best sentence on here in a long time! Congrats, mom!

Thanks. I'm partial to her. She does her best and tries for shots. She's not a great player, but it keeps it fun for her and pinball events like Godzilla Multiball and the building collapsing feel like a real accomplishment to her and this machine does great handing out really fun rewards.

Have to say it's the most fun I've had on a Stern I think.

Never bought a new in box machine before. What are these little key chain looking widgets in the extra sticker bag?

What's a used Jurassic Park Premium go for?

#4425 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Keychain doo-dads to put on a keyring.

Less than a Godzilla Prem. She picked a winner.
She could probably do a trade plus cash to her and have JP Prem owners lining up to make that deal.

She loves Godzilla, it won't be leaving. She's retired and I've convinced her to spend her money on herself, not save it for us when she dies. We're doing fine. This sounds self-serving since she lives with us, but, again, I was long out of Pinball (Predator fiasco and my Dad accidentally fucking my Space Shuttle having put a taint on it for me) when this came out. She had to have it.

But, I would also love to maybe go halvsies with her on a Jurassic Park. Space Shuttle, Godzilla and Jurassic Park would be just about her ultimate thematic lineup. (Would just need a LEGO pin to complete.)

Keychain thingies. Ha. Imagine that. She has them blue tacked to her computer monitor. Looks cool.

#4426 2 years ago
Quoted from dpkzone:

Copied someone earlier on this thread with the huge Zilla that was a piggy bank on Amazon. Pleased because the scale compared to Mecha just makes much more sense.

That looks awesome.

Ordered one. Install / attaching it to plate easy?

#4458 2 years ago

This is fast becoming my favorite game. Having never owned a Stern nor played one off location, I have a few question if folks have time.

(Premium)

1) Do these speakers suck, is the graininess due to sound design for old radio motif or is it distortion, and/or is "10" too loud?
2) I have the game with the top of the on-field bubble entirely obscured by the top line. This is lower than when I set it up and the left ramp is much easier to hit, but still definitely an event when made. Lower it some more? I feel the right ramp is just about right, and outright STDM rejections on misses are now rare.
3) About once in 5 or 6 games a ball gets caught at the entrance of the building. Ball search resolves it, but kind of annoying. Anyone else? Remedy?
4) Where do you place your level when trying to measure left/right? I had it perfect on initial set up, but after I decided the game was too steep and lowered it, I seem to be drifting left... though the level reads fairly dead. Given my experience is with far older machines with about 1/5 the things to shoot, this kind of precision is new to me.
5) Can someone link a nice text format rules / strategy document? I don't want to watch people on YouTube play for 90 minutes.

Put a shaker in today. Pretty fun. Mom loves it. At the bonus countdown she gets a smile on her face and makes stompy noise, "Kuchh, kuccch, bwuchh..." Oh, and, by the way, wait until you see what my she got for wall art. Wow. My guess 80% of you will want one, especially if you install one of these piggy banks.

Mods on the way:

The above giant grey piggy bank.
Tilt Graphics plunger face and breath button plaque.

My God, having Rodan active, finding the right time to control a multiball and hitting your breath attack with a bunch of shots lit is off the fucking hook pinball fun. Just saying.

#4467 2 years ago
Quoted from Drain-O:

For (1) -- Adjust the speakers to 4ohm instead of 8ohm (default) -- Even though the default is 8, I don't think non-LE speakers can take it.
For (5) -- http://tiltforums.com/t/stern-godzilla-rulesheet/7210

Great, thanks, I'll try that out. And thanks for the link!

Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Guys, the speakers are fine. You are wasting money.

The speakers sound like shit, and the bass is barely present. The reason I asked the question is that the sound is so bad/mediocre I thought something might be wrong with it. Maybe my Mom got lemons, but they rasp and rip like a Wal-Mart speaker display. And I'm wasting money by trying the 4-ohm setting?

Quoted from Palmer:

Sounds like you need to adjust your building 1st floor position in the game specific settings of the op menu.

Awesome. Will do. Thanks!

#4480 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Sounds like you need to adjust your building 1st floor position in the game specific settings of the op menu.

I'm finding adjustment #98 Building Stepper Bias with a default of 150. Is that the one to which you refer? Manual is not helpful here.

#4483 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

So it sounds like you are in the building menu which would be Diagnostics/Game-Specific Tests/Building Stepper Motor Test
Once in that menu you just have to:
1. Close the coin door
2. Press the start button to switch from Move Mode to Adjust Mode (photos below for reference)
3. Use the flipper buttons to adjust the building height so that the entrance is flush with the playfield.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

God I love this forum.

That said, I got impatient and from that #98 setting mentioned above, ended up dropping that Bias to 100 from 150. Building is now perfectly flush. Your way still teaches me things I did not know about the menu system however. Did not know you could operate with the door closed. Lots to learn about modern machines I guess!

I wonder if the building being flush will help with SDTM on that tight loop return and / or some fairly common Lock rejects we've been getting?

#4494 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I’d probably reset the bias to its original number and do the adjustment as outlined just because that is what stern outlines to adjust the building. But glad you got it working. It will def help with lock rejects I think. Not sure about the SDTM but you may want to play a little with left/right leveling of the game to see if it helps with that.

Did so. Works great.

There is definitely something wrong with these speakers though, sounds like left is the worst. How is Stern with warranty issues? These things crackle, rip and pop even on low-ish volume at 4ohm.

#4501 2 years ago

Hmm. Took a quick couple videos of how my Mom's game sounds. It's worse on 8ohm.

Thoughts?

#4503 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

That first one almost sounds like a washing machine. From the second video, seems like it happens when the bass hits in the audio. Stern warranty is pretty good, at least for me and several others that's reached out to them for issues. Show them those videos and they can provide further input and replacement parts if needed. I know that even on the LE with the upgraded speakers, I get some random crackles and few distortions here and there but probably from the audio processing on their board and not the speakers themselves. Your sounds like more speaker related than processing though.

Yeah, it's also deteriorating with play. I'll call Stern on Monday.

#4537 2 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Hey guys - since we were mentioned. Hope you are all having a stellar weekend!
Regarding the PinWoofer GT Amplifier, please keep in mind that the PinWoofer amp is now driving the speakers, and not the Stern CPU Node Board so while you will hear a difference in intensity (volume) switching between 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm settings (4 being quieter), it is not obvious what's really going on and I did not see it addressed above.
The 4/8 Ohm menu options are an impedance matching feature in the CPU node electronics and since the GT expander board has a 30 Ohm input impedance, you will get greater "power transfer" when the menu is set to 8 Ohm (Ie. 8 will be louder). The power transfer efficiency is lower when using 4 Ohm so the intensity is less.
We generally recommend using 8 Ohm on the Sterns since 4 Ohm is much quieter but if you want to use 4 Ohms, you can always raise the gain and master Vol to level up. We will still recommend 8 Ohm whenever possible; plese keep the service menu volume <= 20 as per the instructions to avoid clipping.
Regarding the PinWoofer KO Amplifer, there should be no sensitivity to the menu impedance settings but honestly, I have not tried it yet. There is a comment above that Godzilla sounds cleaner with PinWoofer using 4 Ohm. This is an interesting observation and I plan to dig into this more since I wonder if the digital leveling in the track is also reduced along with the lower impedance setting. AIQ, IMDN, GZ and some others have peculiar noise spots that are an artifact of the track and quite repeatable, and we see them reported from time to time as above. If there is an adjustment path to help these titles, I'll report back.
Thanks for your attention

Thanks for the info. This discussion started due to what I assume to be blown speakers on my Mom's Godzilla Premium. I'm going to try and go the Stern warranty direction tomorrow morning, but failing that (or most likely regardless down the road) maybe I'll use you folks as an option. Do you sell kits for the SPike 2 system, just amps, just woofers? Not really sure what your product line is.

Want to throw me a link to the one stop shop version you'd recommend?

#4549 2 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Check your cabinet speaker, too. Mine is blown out of the box. More prominent above level 14 or so.

Oh damn. Yeah, actually the down speaker is MUCH worse. Hadn't checked, the ear check on the left gave me a positive result and figured I'd found it. Yeah, it's garbage.

Thanks for the heads up.

1 week later
#5186 2 years ago

While I await my replacement speakers from Stern because the ones that shipped are complete shit (see above) I've been trying to dial in the rest of the machine. (Almost certainly end up getting the PinWoofer kit, but thought I'd give Stern the chance.) Never having had a modern game in my meager collection, I'm surprised how much this all matters. I'm sure each machine is very different in how it plays, but I was wondering if you folks could give me a little help setting a few things up?

First I'll describe the playing experience and history so far:

1) Started off with the on surface level with a significant portion of the bubble bisected by the top line. It was almost impossible to hit the right ramp due to lack of momentum. This was too high. Left ramp requires utterly perfect shot.

2) Dropped it so that the top of the bubble was kissing the top line, but not visible over it. Our highest scores, such that they are, were achieved at this cant. The right ramp was still somewhat iffy, though less than perfect shots occasionally made a lazy turn at the top to score. Left ramp still extremely difficult, but easier.

3) After reading Stern's material apparently the bubble is supposed to be centered? Decided to try that, was achieved by dropping rear legs all the way down. The right ramp is no easier to hit at all, maybe harder(!?) due to lack of momentum. Perhaps less energy being carried in the ball due to so much less slope? Left ramp a little easier, still very hard shot. Scores have pretty much cratered.

4) In all cases the VAST majority of drains (probably 80+%) are SDTM from right ramp rejections (either from otherwise solid left flipper shots, or routinely on misses at the upper flip loop) combined with left out lanes, including an absolutely soul crushing number of left flipper control attempts that reverse in-lane u-turns. Basically pretty much ANYTHING but a direct in-lane feed on the left side drains. (Side note, is there an audit that shows how / where drains occur?)

So given the above, I was wondering how most folks set up their home machines? What about outlane posts? I haven't touched mine, but my GOD, do I eyeball that left post. Should point out that while I have not done anything scientific or used anything fancier than a little shelf level, the game feels good to me side to side.

Where do you set your playfield level? Am I nuts that the game is harder flatter? I think I've played enough on each that it's not just the differing geometry of the shots. In fact I think we've played MORE on the flattest setting.

I'm concerned that my left flipper is a little weak. I'm not a pro, but I'm not a rank novice, and there are shots I would definitely expect to score that die almost up, before coming back down to drain (if I'm already on tilt warnings). And I'm not crazy right, that thing is fading in power as I play it? New rubbers? Weak coils?

Would different balls help?

Does it come cleaned and waxed? Do I need to do that already?

It's totally possible there's an existing FAQ or thread covering this shit already. If so, feel free to just point me to it.

#5190 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Steep. Bubble usually is a tad past the top line. But I’ll adjust depending on the game. I HATE floaty games though. I even set EMs way steeper than they are supposed to be.
Outlanes stock. I never move them unless the game is too easy. In those cases I’ll remove rubber or the posts entirely.
You should have zero issues hitting any of the shots. Double check all the flipper parts on the mech are good and strong and moving freely. Especially the coil stops. Those fail early on sometimes.
Flipper fans will help you keep consistent flipper performance. You shouldn’t see fade until you’ve been playing it for around an hour though.
Balls have nothing to do with this. The flippers aren’t weak. You can adjust their power in the settings if you want.
Clean your game when it gets visibly dirty. Clearcoat should provide plenty of protection, but wax will add to that protection. However, it will make the game play lightning fast.

Thanks for the reply! Can you point me in the right direction / link a good source about the giving the flipper mechs a once over? Coil stops?

I'll look up flipper fans. We play more than an hour regularly.

Any drawback to dialing up the flippers?

Quoted from awesome1:

You can't always trust the bubble level, best to get a digital level. For me, I've found that most games including newer Sterns play best at 6.5° to 7.0° which is usually the front leveling pads all the way in and the rears nearly all the way out, maybe a half inch at most still above the leg nut. much more than that and you will get some instability with stock leveling bolts. Also make sure the side to side is at 0.0°. Small adjustments to the leveling pads can make a big difference.

Where do you put your digital level? When I leveled right/left I used my shelf bubble, but I mean, since there's basically no way to 100% position it, I did my best and went of feel. Feels right...

Pitch though, I'm 100% open. Cause right now, it's much less fun than it was, but, way back up where I had it originally it was a "hey look at that, we made the ramp" type of experience. :-/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tampa, FL
$ 210.00
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider navajas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club?tu=navajas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.