PXL_20240415_201849415 (resized).jpg
IMG_2601 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2538 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1444 (resized).jpg
IMG_7006.jpg
gdz opto receiver (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1374 Removing the ugly Insider sticker on the backbox. Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1795 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Magnet swing adjustments Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #3000 Register Your Game With Insider Connected Posted by TrixTrix (2 years ago)

Post #3546 TECH:LIGHTING. Backbox brightness adjustment PSA Posted by Chisox (2 years ago)

Post #4481 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Building stepper adjustment settings Posted by Palmer (2 years ago)

Post #6364 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bridge and Building adjustments Posted by koops (2 years ago)

Post #6745 MOD: Flame Speaker light kit Posted by DugFreez (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chipscott.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3340 2 years ago
Quoted from ShigeKiyo:

I don't understand English so I use the translation function.
Can the collapsing building toy on the premium model be made to stop working by changing the settings, like the T-rex in Jurassic Park?
I am new to buying pinball and I do not have the skills to repair the machine when it breaks down.
There are no places in Japan that will repair a modern stern pinball, and it would be difficult to ship a pinball back to the US for repair.
I am wondering whether I should go for the Pro model, which has fewer moving parts that I can enjoy for a long time, or the Premium model, which has many fun tricks but risks breaking.
I need some advice.

Certainly fewer mechs can mean less maintenance, and if you are newer to pinball and nervous about repair by yourself, and if there is no one in your area that can help you in servicing the machine, if needed... this game is amazing in all versions, and you would not be disappointed at all with the Pro!
Sure, the mechs on the premium / LE are neat, no doubt, but the Pro is an amazing game and would keep you very happy... Not to mention for all versions, the code will continue to increase and make each of these models even better over time.

1 month later
#5214 2 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Add this to my machine, and yeah it is interactive

[quoted image]

That is awesome!!!
What did you do / use to get that effect!?

#5281 2 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Anyone come up with a good way to light up the back left corner/Godzilla figure area on the Pro?
I added a 3 led Comet strip to the backside of the metal habitrail exit of the building, so it's hidden from view and directed straight at my added GZ figure. Used a small Comet matrix brightness adjuster, and turned it down so it's very subtle though. Plugged into a matrix led bulb/splitter in place of the GI bulb behind the magna-grab, wiring routed thru the playfield opening for the building opto just below where the strip is mounted. Seems to work great, not sure the lighting really shows up in a picture, but an improvement imo.
Anyone come up with a better solution? Some flasher tie-in as well or instead would be pretty cool perhaps.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I know for me, once I get my bridge mod installed and I see what room/spacing I'm working with, I'm going to utilize those hex nuts on the left plastics, in between the Godzilla figure and the left wireform, to put Comet posts and spotlights (may double up on the spotlights back there). There is a nice split between two plastics there on the left in that area that will allow the matrix wire to run through and then I'll hook to GI underneath the playfield.

#5290 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

This is what I am going to do. I will let you know how it goes. Today I unveil the game for the family. It’s a family present.

Matter of fact, I just completed that lighting edition just now. I did 2 lights on one post (frosted warm white underneath and comet fire bulb above) both facing up at the Godzilla. I used the larger piggy bank one that I painted, and this extra lighting looks very good I think.

I also added two spotlights on one post behind the scoop sign, one facing at mechagodzilla, the other cross-play field aimed towards the Drake building. I opted to use the fire bulb below facing at mechagodzilla and the warm white bulb facing the Drake building.

I liked the idea that one Pinsider had with the comet fire bulb underneath the playfield situated by the stand ups in front of the Drake building. I had some fire star post lights that I used for now, but I think I will be ultimately using bulb style, as you can see the small LEDs themselves flickering in that playfield hole, which is not my preference, but it does look pretty cool.

I also went through the game and exchanged all of the stern stock cool white lights for warm white, which is my personal preference. Fortunately, I had a warm white wedge base for the 8 SMD there at the left stock spotlight, but I need to get some bayoneted warm white's for the three lights on the backboard.

While there is nothing I can do about the lights at the outlanes underneath the jets, I will be exchanging the apron lights for warm white and adding a warm white trough light.

All that said, I will probably be adding more spotlights as time goes on, next spot will be to the left of the left spinner hovering over the wireform (just past and to the left of the stock spotlight) where I will probably double if not triple up some spotlights and spread some additional light across the center playfield, and then probably spotlights at the slings.

#5292 2 years ago

Do you have pics? Sounds awesome

I'm excited to show pictures, but I am going to wait till a couple more lights come in and I get them installed, along with a couple other ideas that I been having... and then I'll post some pictures so I can show the full ensemble

#5362 2 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

I can't recall who originally posted about using Comet star post Fire LEDs to light the building from beneath the power line targets and behind the building (but will search later when time permits.)
First off, my thanks, because the power line targets lit from below look outstanding.
I did not try lighting the building from behind, but I did attach a hex spacer above the post to the left of the train ramp, and inelegantly taped a star post Fire LED there to aimed at the front of the building. It works pretty well and has the benefit of making the bridge look slightly apocalyptic as well...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Since you have the hex post there, you could add one of the Comet spotlights there ( secured with small standard machines screw) and use one of their wedge fire bulbs. Looks like there's plenty of room there and that would look clean.
Cool idea for aiming that fire bulb at the building.

#5438 2 years ago
Quoted from Broy1189:

Does anyone have any suggestions on mounting a godzilla figure in a pro? This is my first mod I've ever done myself. Just looking for options. I was thinking of buying a piece of lexan and tracing the the original 2d plastic mount out.
[quoted image]

I have since changed to that larger version piggy bank, but originally I had gotten that model. You'll find that the slit in the plastic that previously held the stand up plastic is enough to accommodate a zip tie. Zip tying around the edges - slit and across both feet (2 separate zip ties) will work and hold him solidly. You can make the bulk part of the zip tie underneath the plastic and you'll never see it. There are certainly other methods, but that's what I had done/used and it worked quite well.

#5529 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I have my game maxed out on the leg levelers and it's sitting at 8 degrees. That's how I know our league/tournament games are going to be set up, so that's what I play on (hell, they might even end up with 2x4's under the back legs). I see some massive scores and I wonder if ya'll are that much better than me or if you're just at a much lower slant, as I've yet to see a single other person say this is how they are set up to play.

I've been playing at 7.1° and feels okay to me. When I first set it up, prior to tinkering with some leveling, I noticed I was at 7.2°, which also felt fine, just not level at that time.
At 7.1° it doesn't feel too fast to me, and on my game, I don't feel like I get any cheap drains. Still a tough game when the ball starts whizzing around, for sure... Interestingly, when I look at my leg levelers, for whatever reason they're not as jacked up as some of my other Stern games, which measure out at 7.0°. That's been a real head scratcher for me, haha.
Much like above, I also don't care for a floaty game and usually prefer my games somewhat steep. Maybe at some point though I may bring the levelers down and try 6.8° and just see how it plays...

#5579 2 years ago

Just wanted to share some progress I've been making on my GDZ Pro.

-Changed all stock cool white GI bulbs for 2 SMD warm whites (along with the stock left spotlight and 3 backboard lights).
-Added 2 towered spots at left sling, doubled up the spots at the stock left spotlight, added an additional spot just beyond that (hooked to the red-yellow GI to give some additional light during the "red light" GI modes, as it can get a bit dark during those times).
-Added 2 towered spots at the far left in front of Godzilla (1 Comet fire bulb, 1 warm white).
-Added 2 towered spots behind the scoop sign (1 fire bulb facing mechagodzilla, 1 warm white facing the far center pf).
-Removed the stock cool white apron lighting and changed to Comet 6SMD warm white lights, along with warm white trough light (pic below).

-Added the piggy bank Godzilla, painted it and was able to fit it in without shaving his arm (touches but not jammed on the side of Drake building, but about 2cm from the left sidewall...looks more like he's creeping around the corner which is cool, little additional perspective). Did of course have to shave an inch or so off of the bottom so that his head didn't hit the playfield glass.
-Added a Mechagodzilla figure (and after attaching the music wire, I added foam padding underneath, which sticks nicely to the underside of the toy. I added a pic of this because I frequently add toys/mods that sit on pf plastics that are hooked to local nuts, bolts, etc and I thought this was a nice way to protect the pf plastics it sits on and wanted to share that).
-Added a battle tank at the right outline.
-Added Tilt's right ramp decal.
-Added Lermods bridge with interactive green flasher (which is a nice additional lighting accent to Godzilla and goes nicely with the new ww and fire bulb spots).

-Added shaker from PBL (nicely integrated).
-Added the Flipper Fidelity LE Speaker kit (and also using the Pinnovators hook-up to 10" external sub) and the sound is kicking!

*Looking forward to receiving @tditty 's Tesla Strike Towers and bamboo plane mods.
*Have side blades and apron decal coming from Wizard Mods, which Im excited to get.
*Looking forward to receiving the pop bumper UFO mod as well...that'll be cool.
*Do have some of Mezel's building facades on the way for the Drake building as well as for the noodle shop on the right end Subway building on the left. I think that those will give a nice upgraded look.
*Did order an equivalent size Mothra figure to the backboard plastic, which I plan to hover in front of that plastic like its flying. I plan to hook up a hidden spotlight to that figure from underneath, tied into the Mothra backboard light. I think that'll look cool, and somewhat interactive lighting, as that light isn't always on.

Still playing around with game pitch. Was pretty happy at 7-7.2 degrees, but am going to try 6.8-ish degrees this weekend based on the plethora of recommendations of that slope. Who knows what'll feel best... May also play with the flipper coil strength power. This is the first time in a while, if I'm not mistaken, that Stern flipper coils aren't already at its max amount on factory settings to begin with.

This is such a great game...hard to believe the code is just gonna keep developing and getting better and better...its already pretty damn awesome.
1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

#5581 2 years ago

Okay, okay... I'm a believer.

Just played some games at 6.8° pitch and man oh man it was like a totally different game!!! It was not floaty at all...was fast and fun and compared to my previous settings, seemed to have smoother ball flow. Also took the above recommendation from PinMonk and raised the power on the left upper flipper to 180, and went up by about five points or so on the lower flippers.

Previously I was at 7.1- 7.2° with some earlier recommendations of slightly leaning to the left, and don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed playing with these settings, however, when I made the above adjustment to 6.8°(and made everything perfectly level to start out with), it was perfect and the ball travel felt intuitive and arguably flowed so much more smoothly.

6.8° and perfectly level it is!

#5594 2 years ago

Made a topper today.

Got the figure from eBay https://www.mymoviemonsters.com/store.php/mymoviemonsters/pd9818852/diamond_select_godzilla_gallery_diorama_1991_godzilla_vs._king_ghidorah_statue?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzrn3ssOO9QIVD21vBB2-ZAtzEAsYAiABEgIILPD_BwE

Put it at a forward slope so you can see more of the details when at the machine, hooked 2 LED strips underneath the figure facing up through the transparent water (blue and warm white), a third LED strip in front facing forward (warm white), and a hid a Comet fire post light by the front strip facing forward to bring the flames. All hooked to GI.
Figure and lighting all attached solidly onto a piece of plexiglass and then velcro stripped to the top of the backbox.

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg
#5620 2 years ago
Quoted from subseamonkey:

Looks great! What figure did you use please?

Thanks!!
For the mechagodzilla, I used the 1983 Bandai Kaiju Toho movie figure.

For example, here is an eBay link to one of these toys:

ebay.com link: itm

These toys are made of a somewhat soft vinyl and are hollow, however, they seem to hold their shape/structure quite well. The fact that they are hollow also makes it easier to tie in lights from the inside of these figures, if one were so inclined. It is very easy to pop the torso from the lower body and use the upper half as the mod.

#5700 2 years ago
Quoted from troon47:

I'm kind of beyond flipper fade. Tonight during a multiball after playing it for about a half hour, the lower flippers had to be hit perfectly to even get the ball to the top of the playfield, let alone up a ramp etc. Anything not center-hit on the flipper just trickled up lazily maybe 6-12" and then back down...really starting to bug me. My LE is stock and I'm wondering if there's a fix for this since it seems people are getting mixed results installing new coils,fans, etc.

In addition to EaglePin s suggestions above, you may also want to go ahead and just change out the coil stops on your lower flippers (can get them from Marco, PBL, etc). Those stock stern coil stops are notoriously of poor quality, unfortunately.
Most critical maneuver I've made since owning my GDZ was lowering the pitch to 6.8°. It didn't feel any slower, but the loops, ramps, and just about everything else just seemed to flow so much smoother compared to the higher pitches.

#5705 2 years ago

Wanted to share some progress on my GDZ modding adventure.

Decided to remove the larger piggybank Godzilla and instead go for a 1964 version, which I think really matches well with the whole perspective. Added a burnt, crushed traincar segment into the clutches of his right hand and then added some various size/color model trees for additional perspective. Nice thing with the trees is that it hides the wires I have coming down behind the left ramp/bridge (for two spotlights and the LED flasher mod which is connected to the back of the bridge). Also, the trees mask the transition of the ramp to the bridge nicely, so looks a bit more seamless.

Now I wait for the building facades from Mezels and the side blades and apron decal from Wizard Mods...

111 (resized).jpg111 (resized).jpg3333 (resized).jpg3333 (resized).jpg4444 (resized).jpg4444 (resized).jpg66666 (resized).jpg66666 (resized).jpg
#5710 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Mine has the metal guide flat against the backboard. Maybe there was design change to make it overlap after initial production?

All this talk of that back orbit got me curious. So I checked mine (game was November 30, 2021 build).
For additional comment/reference:
On my game, behind the Drake building, there is a notch cut out between the right and left back orbit walls but it is tight/flush between these orbit guides. There is no gap/overlap noted. Mine looks identical to the picture that was just posted by JWE ^^

#5715 2 years ago

Question for the group (and mind you, my back orbit walls are flush, no issues on my game), while the larger outer orbit is never blazing fast, I have noticed that sometimes the outer loop shot is not registered.
Not sure if it is the rollover switch there on the far right that might not be fully getting activated when a ball comes by, or if it's the opto. Both check perfectly fine in switch test, and this occurs only 15% of the time (which considering that the loop is never blazing fast, it should catch 100% of the time, I would think).
This is a bummer when this happens, especially during Destruction Jackpot!

I did remove the plastics to examine the sending and receiving optos, and they appear to be positioned appropriately, and during test, a ball anywhere along that lane registers (as long as it's rolling flush with the playfield). Makes me think that due to the drop off of the right side orbit onto the back wall orbit, maybe there's occasionally a little bounce (and it briefly rides above the opto path)?
Has anyone else noticed this lack of 100% registering of the larger loop?

By the way, more consistently making it to Tier 2 battles and this game just gets better and better! Loving it!

EDIT:
Found the issue.
Somehow, I had a wire underneath the playfield coursing over and engaging the right loop roll over switch (so it was getting it hung up/snagged intermittently). Corrected now and all is right with the world. Love this game!!!!

#5718 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Call Stern and Send Distro a Picture and see what their respone is.

I was just making comment for reference.
At least for me, I think my orbit guides are good to go on my machine.

#5737 2 years ago

So I play in a very dark game room, which is my preference.
The light show on this game is amazing, but I will say that when the GI goes off to show all of the insert razzle dazzle for a start or completion of a mode, for example, it sure does get dark sometimes on the playfield!! Especially after Destruction Jackpot is hit, man, for a couple seconds the game gets dark dark dark!

I've noticed this at other times as well, I can't now recall what other kind of modes, or conclusion of modes, brings about a lot of darkness (with lightshow play between GI going off/on and all the insert lights dancing/shining), but part of me kind of hopes that they recognize this to some degree and do some additional GI lighting code during some parts of these light shows. It just gets so dark at times....sometimes I can't even see where the ball is for a second or two. It's cool and all, but is anyone else noticing this as well??

#5746 2 years ago

Thank you guys for your reply.
Sometimes I do wonder if things that I notice on a game others notice as well, or if I'm all alone, haha... so it's always good to know that's just the way it is!!
Don't get me wrong, the game is amazing but I do hope that they address some of the light show on future code updates.
So much more code to come, I can't imagine what this game will become moving forward and I'm loving it now!!

#5763 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

None of that will change. It’s standard. The only way to combat it is to play with all the lights on or add some stadium lights into the game that are always on.

You know I was kind of thinking about that.

As time has gone on, I have sort of moved away from the stadium lights and have preferred adding spotlights if a little bit more light is what I'm looking for...but in this game, I might not mind it so much if there were some subtle stadium lights that could always be on.

Only problem that I can think of is that the Pinstadium lights hook up to GI, and it's the GI that's going out during these insert light shows (making the playfield overall quite dark while your ball is out there somewhere, haha), and I would imagine the stadium lights would go off as well during those times, right? Or are they always on? I do know you can adjust the brightness of the pinstadium lighting so that it doesn't have to be brutally bright if you don't want it to. Anyone can clarify on that?

EDIT: I had a set of Pinstadiums laying around from a previous game and went ahead and installed them just to see what the effect would be on this game. I did not hook up the UV flasher, just the GI and set the brightness to about 15%. Let me say that this really helped out a lot with seeing the ball during some of the darkest parts of the light shows (again, for me, I play in a very dark game room) and I have to admit that overall it really did help visualization of the playfield and ballplay in general, but also it really accented the light show quite a fair and surprising amount and the electricity/powerline/Tesla strikes actually came across even more electric, even without the UV flasher. Might be interesting to somehow tie that UV flasher into those powerline/Tesla strikes now that I'm thinking about it...

#5819 2 years ago
Quoted from Terpslurps:

If I decide to add a subwoofer, do I also need an amp to power it?

This is a good $35 spent at Pinnovators. Very small little board they make that connects into the Spike to board in the back box.
Comes with the cables needed to run down through the bottom of the cabinet and power a sub. They recommend, and I have had good success with the Polk 10-in sub. Awesome effect.

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/pinsub-multi-system-kit

#5827 2 years ago
Quoted from Terpslurps:

Just ordered both, thank you!

Sure, there's various ways to do sub hookup, but I've been using these for the last couple years on several machines, and I've been extremely happy every time. You're going to love it. Adding the sub to this game is an excellent upgrade! Once you see how easy and effective this hookup is, you're going to end up doing it to all of your games

#5855 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Anyone downgrade from a prem/le to pro? Had to get rid of my LE in a trade and am thinking of getting a pro. I think the toy I’ll miss the most is the bridge honestly. Bad idea?

I have been loving my pro.
Nice thing about all of these Keith Elwin games in pro version is that all the shots are there and all the ramps are metal.
I have had the opportunity to play the LE, and while the extra features are cool, no doubt, just didn't seem to do it for me at the price points these days.
I'm glad I went pro for the house. I used the extra cash to get all the mods, bells and whistles I wanted and still have cash left over for other stuff.

#5882 2 years ago
Quoted from MonsieurCS:

every Pro owner should try turning the Mechagodzilla on extra-hard barrier qualifying - it turns the barrier into a roving shot and adds a lot of dynamics to getting to mechagodzilla mb.

This sounds cool, I'm going to try this setting out

#5963 2 years ago
Quoted from GoldenBeard:

does any shaker motor for stern 2 work? Or does it have to say it’s for Godzilla? All games so far I’ve just searched gameroom guys for name of pin and shaker and they send it. I kind of want to install the shaker when I get it next week at the same time.

There are several options, but for myself and for many others, the shaker motors by Pinball Life designed for Spike/Spike 2 systems work very nicely, are easy to install and have a good feel.

#6025 2 years ago

Finally got my side blades installed, the building facades from Mezel's as well as the Tesla strike towers from Tom (man, those things are awesome!).

PXL_20220107_000700778~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220107_000700778~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220107_000734036~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220107_000734036~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220107_000652032~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220107_000652032~2 (resized).jpg

#6031 2 years ago

So, i've thought about it for a while, and kind of always wanted to do this....and ultimately I decided to do it on this game...
...to re-think the Pinstadiums.

So I had a set of Pinstadium Neo's from a prior game.
Over the years, I've been less inclined to have those strips on the sides.
Sure, Scott makes a great product (and his customer service is top notch), but my tastes have just changed (and I have been using more spotlights instead of stadium lighting and enjoying the subtle shadows the game gives with just a touch more light where I want it...also, I have been tiring of taking down those strips, putting back up, taking down again to put back up, take down again, etc etc, etc every single time I need to pull the playfield...ugh...I digress...).

So, this morning I decided to take the Pinstadium strips off of their ong L-shaped plastic bases (and in this maneuver I opted to exclude/cut the white dimmable strip, and then I trimmed the color changing strips as well as the UV strips on both sides).

I then saved the diffuser that came with the Neo's and cut them to spec for the 2 strips I would have at the back of the pf (out of view, but gives the color coming from the strip a nice softer glow).

Since there's no backboard bulbs on this game, for one side of the Pinstadiums (2 strips; color + UV) I decided to place the long color-changing strip with diffuser high on the backboard (above the subway and noodle buildings; and completely out of view when playfield is in position), and a long UV strip (also with diffuser) underneath the back glass channel facing down.
...and with the other side of the Pinstadium (2 strips; color and UV), I trimmed the color-changing one under the pf to highlight the scoop (which is nice as its color jives with the color coming from the backboard), and placed the UV strip (trimmed to just 2 lights) behind the bridge facing Godzilla.

I opted on a warm yellow-orange'ish red (if that's a color, haha) for the color changers, which hook to GI as usual, and tied the UV into the spinner flasher.
Cool thing about the UV hook-up (which photographs a little bit more intense than it is in reality, or so it seems) is now when I rip the spinner, not only do tdiddy 's Tesla towers flash (along with Mezel's building fire hook-up), but a wild UV electric glow pulsates the back 1/3 of the playfield, catching all kinds of cool angles. Truly looks electric!!!
ps 1 (resized).jpgps 1 (resized).jpgps 2 (resized).jpgps 2 (resized).jpgps 3 (resized).jpgps 3 (resized).jpgps 4 (resized).jpgps 4 (resized).jpgps 5 (resized).jpgps 5 (resized).jpgps 6 (resized).jpgps 6 (resized).jpgps 7 (resized).jpgps 7 (resized).jpg

#6056 2 years ago
Quoted from archimandrite:

I just installed the Pinball Life shaker. Instead of causing vibration, the way my other shakers do, I get a very loud machine gun rat-a-tat-tat effect. You're very conscious of something operating inside the cabinet vs. the entire machine shaking, as is intended. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

As above ^^ sounds like it isn't fastened down solidly. I'd make sure each of the 4 screws are screwed down tight...and make sure one of the fasteners on the underside of the cabinet didn't accidentally fall out to keep one of the screws from adequately tightening.

#6102 2 years ago

Picked up an iridescent shooter rod from Modfather for the Godzilla.
I really think it goes well!!

PXL_20220108_215627169~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220108_215627169~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220108_215637485~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220108_215637485~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220108_215805041~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220108_215805041~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220108_215818489~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220108_215818489~2 (resized).jpg

PXL_20220109_022235288~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220109_022235288~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220109_022242105~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220109_022242105~2 (resized).jpg
#6106 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Looks good, how's the feel compared to stock? I'm not happy with any of the stern custom shooters I've bought. Did this use stock spring or stiffer? Thx,,,

I absolutely love ModFather shooter rods. I think I have/have had them on every single one of my modern games over the last few years.
They feel great to the hand. The rod itself is the stock size, so no real difference there. But feel wise, yeah, they're great! I can't say enough about them, and Chuck is an amazing artist.

They typically come in three sizes: small, medium and large. I usually prefer the medium size, which is similar to what you see in the above pics. Actually, this one is somewhere in between medium and large, I would say. There is a touch of randomness as these are made to order individually.

#6134 2 years ago
Quoted from rue_:

Where did you get the coin door sticker in Japanese ?

I got it from the Space Coast Pinball group here on the Pinside marketplace (same group designing/making that -TOHO Scope- magnet for the back box).
They designed this sticker to cover over the area at the center of the apron....I decided that I preferred it on the coin door

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1312-space-coast-pinball/05554-godzilla-dress-up-magnet-art-and-decal-art

#6182 2 years ago

So I've had to do it on every single modern stern in the last few years, so it's no surprise...

But, I've been having such a good time playing the Godzilla that even though Ive noticed some weakness of the flipper strength despite bringing the power of the coil up a couple notches , I haven't done much else knowing that the next move is to change out the coil stops.

I happened to have some extra stern coil stops from pinball life and went ahead and installed them (along with some fresh coil sleeves) this morning and played a game.
Man, it's like having brand new flippers! Woohoo!! Strong as hell, and I can probably even come down on the coil settings back to factory, haha...but everything flowed so good, I think I'll just leave it as it is for now.

But just wanted to post another vote for changing out your coil stops!

#6185 2 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Where do you plug it Into? I have just the pins so would need to stick in the back of the connector. I assume they just light up every time it shakes?

I will say this, and mind you, I was talking with Scott from Pinstadium about this very thing just last week.

The connection into the shaker motor is not absolutely guaranteed to work if you have an aftermarket shaker. Meaning, you'll experience it briefly (and yes, it is a very cool effect), but it may not be a durable result. Meaning, by the second ball or so, you'll notice that both the UV Pinstadium flashers and the shaker cease to function. In those cases, power down, disconnect the Pinstadium connection from the shaker, reboot the machine and the shaker works back to normal.

In talking with Scott about this, he has noticed that for all games that come with a stern shaker already installed from the factory, they seem to work reliably, nearly 100% of the time. However, aftermarket shaker motors, while they work great as a shaker motor itself in the game, for whatever reason (a good portion of time) have a difficult time uniformly working with this particular Pinstadium hookup. He says it has been somewhat random as to who's aftermarket shakers work and don't work with this hookup, sometimes +/- from the very same company (PBL, Cointaker, Game Room Guys, etc, etc).

So, if you currently have a game that has a shaker motor installed from the factory, it'll probably work great. You can check the Pinstadium thread here on Pinside and do a forum/topic search for "Godzilla" and you will see a nice post on how it hooks up to the shaker motor via the provided splicer wires.

For me, I have aftermarket shaker, and it did not work reliably with the Pinstadium hookup. I opted to use the splicer wires to tie the UV flasher into the center spinner flasher, and I think the effect is really great, especially with the Tesla strike towers from tdiddy . When you rip that spinner, it really looks electric back there!

Hope this helps.

#6204 2 years ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

How is changing coil stops making the flippers stronger? I am getting to 400 games, did not notice weak flippers yet

Yeah, and others might chime in as well, but starting about 3 or so years ago, for whatever reason, the Stern stock coil stops are real crap.

There are some folks who luck into some good ones I suppose, but an overwhelming amount of people have noticed that these coil stops that stern uses are not great, which is usually noted by a feeling of weaker flippers. That's why the first recommendation you'll see these days across the board for any new modern stern is to change out your coil stops.

In my case, I was starting to notice some weakness at the flippers at about 250 games. After changing out the coil stops (and coil sleeves while I was at it) it gave a brand new breath of fresh power! This is a typical story though these days.

#6229 2 years ago

You know it hasn't been mentioned much, but I think it's worth mentioning. It's something I find myself really loving about this game...it's one thing that is really tough, but keeps you trying and trying and coming back and putting in all of your quarters, per se...

...It's the fact that that scoop is no gimme shot.

I mean, how awesome of a feeling is it to hit the right ramp, and then the left ramp and then right off the bat letting the ball roll towards the tip of the left flipper and then jamming in the scoop. You're like, YES!! Awesome!!!! Haha.

Because if that ball doesn't go right in the scoop, you find yourself just trying and trying and trying again...and sometimes you have some random 4-bounce of the ball that ultimately lands in the scoop and you're like, YES! Awesome!!! Hahaha.

Other times you're just doing subtle little tap passes and finessing the pathway of the ball and maybe just trying to hit that left ramp again just to give it one more shot to see if you can't slam it in the scoop on the fly... Hilarious, but such a good time and such a smart move on Keith Elwin's part, because ya gotta get in that scoop to progress the battles, but it's no gimme, and I love that.

#6236 2 years ago

Love when you hit the scoop when it bounces off the slings. Definitely not a gimme shot at all. I was hating on the art style of the game and wasn’t going to get it. I even started a thread before it was officially announced, dream theme. I hated how sparse the pro looked.
That all changed once I played a pro on location. Love it! Added mods to make it look way better than stock. Played an LE and I don’t miss any of the premium/LE mechs at all, especially since I added the drake tower, bridge, Godzilla, and MechaGodzilla.

Your video above ^^ looks awesome!!!!
Yeah, this game is a blast, and I too have really been enjoying both the gameplay as well as the mods!!

#6257 2 years ago

For those out there with artistic 3D printing capabilities...

I think it would be really cool if someone were to create and sell a low-profile building facade for that flat, lame sticker building picture on the backboard (to the right of the subway building). It would be light enough that it could be attached by double sided tape. Heck, a dimensional two building creation could be made as well to add even further dimension to that area.

Last time I remember seeing someone do that, it really looked awesome and added a lot
( Medisinyl created that backboard attachment for the vampire tower on the Alice Cooper ).

#6260 2 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I don’t know if I’m sold on the Mecha-Godzilla since he’s a bit hidden. Maybe a spot light?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I recently added a spotlight back there, behind the Drake building (in my case, facing to the right to highlight a mothra figure that I extended with music wire from the mothra plastic).
It was quite easy to thred up a comet matrix wire to that location as there as there is a rather large hole in the playfield with both a white and red light. The wire ends up coming up behind the Drake building in between two pieces of playfield plastic. From there, you can attach the spotlight to that one post that holds the right side of the left wireform ramp.

#6263 2 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

That was my initial thought but Mecha is about an inch too talk to fit where he should go

He does pop in half though.
On the premium/ LE model as well as on some uses of mechagodzillas that have been shown thus far on the Pros, is pretty much the torso up.

#6266 2 years ago
Quoted from Broy1189:

Anyone else have the ball get stuck here yet?
[quoted image]

Is this a brand new game, or did this just start happening? If it had been playing well and this just started happening out of the blue, that's really weird.
I've had some games in the past that I had picked up NIB where crossing over wireforms needed a little bit of push/shove right off the bat to allow adequate ball travel. Certainly it is not an ideal situation, but there's probably not a whole lot of other good options outside of gentle deliberate brute force.
Looks like you have all the spacers at the posts on appropriately.
As above, looks like it may just need a little bit of gentle brute force at that loop to the under passing wireform (to ever so gently, but deliberately, bend those two wireforms apart from each other).
Unless someone else has a different idea.

#6440 2 years ago
Quoted from El_Patron:

The Opto behind the building, in the ball guide, I can't find in the manual what that controls. Anyone able to help? Trying to confirm the ball guide that is not flush is not causing issues.[quoted image]

When sorting out a loop switch problem a couple weeks ago (finally realizing it was just some wiring underneath the pf preventing that far right loop switch from fully depressing, now corrected), I also explored this opto.

This opto does purposefully sit at a bit of an askew angle across that orbit. I believe its function is to assist in registering the destruction jackpot once the ball is hit across the right loop switch and then across that opto.

If you're concern is whether or not that opto is working...just go into switch test and roll a ball back and forth across the pathway of that opto to ensure that it is registering. Whether the back orbit guide is flush or not, any ball passing through that opto path should trigger it, regardless of its angle.

As above, if you're having a problem registering the loop in general, explore under the playfield and do make sure that you do not have any wiring interfering with that far right loop switch.

#6608 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeAction:

Here is a sample Lit Kit Flipper mod for Godzilla been working on lately, capturing the flame look. Planning to be at https://ArcadeMade.com in a bit.
[quoted image]

Those look awesome! A flame look is a great idea. Let us know when you put them on your site.

#6648 2 years ago

id like to share some progress Ive made on my GDZ.

The stars aligned and I lucked into scoring some Xiliens...
Fashioned a plastic base which I attached to the post at the top of the outlane (secured the Martian feet by zip ties) and placed a spotlight at the top of the outlane plastic facing them at an upward angle (via longer screw with some black spacers). Hid the wiring to the underside of the outline plastic and ran it down the pf hole (along with the rocket PCB wires) and attached to the red-yellow GI. Just loving them there.

Added a Mothra figure via music wire to a screw holing the Mothra plastic. Added 2 spotlights behind the Drake building (out of view) with one of them facing up to the Mothra figure (alligator clipped to the Mothra flasher) and the other using Comet Fire bulb facing a custom 3d-printed center building facade along the backboard (to the right of the Subway building).

Overall, Im really pleased with the end result.

11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg

14 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg24 (resized).jpg24 (resized).jpg31 (resized).jpg31 (resized).jpg32 (resized).jpg32 (resized).jpg
#6654 2 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Hey nice stuff.
I have a pet peeve though.... if you're gonna use cable ties, got to use flush cuts man...got the sharp hangers on the ends!!!!

Haha, fair enough.
Reason I didn't hide the bulk ends of the cable ties underneath was to ensure plenty of room for ball travel under the plastic, which there is plenty enough room...maybe I just go ahead and put them underneath. But good eye, I could have cut that one on the left much more flush! ...suppose I was just excited to get them mounted and installed.

EDIT:
Went ahead and re-cable tied the characters with the bulk end of the zip tie fashioned tightly *underneath* the plastic this time.
Actually, got a better grab all together and the ties themselves actually sit more flush than before (and all ends/edges cut flush )
Good eye northerndude , I appreciate you noticing that, it does look much cleaner.

#6788 2 years ago
Quoted from Had:

I'm pretty happy to have just joined the club and to have two amazing Elwin games next to each other.
Is anyone able to check their spinner to see if mine is out of alignment (seems like it should be aligned as per the green lines)?
I thought I would add a picture of my Mylar shooter-lane protector (pre-installation). It's not perfect but it does the job.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats, that's a nice lineup!
Compared to mine, your spinner faces a little bit further forward, and your mock green line is a bit overcorrected posteriorly (at least as it relates to mine).
My spinner appears to be just about even with the post that sits in front of the flipper (maybe directed just past midline of that post posteriorly by one degree). The little spinner arm on my game is close to, but sits just above and just misses the machine screw (so there's no unwanted rubbing/binding on that post and/or screw). Mine came like this from the factory and has worked quite well since it's arrival without issues.
Hope this helps. Congrats on the game!
PXL_20220125_072834008 (resized).jpgPXL_20220125_072834008 (resized).jpg

#6965 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

I'm thinking of ordering the Pro and was told by the distributer I wouldn't get it until March.
Any opinions if this new code update would already be installed in the new Pro builds?

I would certainly imagine so. If not, a USB drive and 20 or so minutes and the newest code is uploaded. Guaranteed the code is going to change/update/improve several more times from here. So happy for the new code! Can't wait to try it out!

#6975 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeAction:

Mod installed: here are a couple photos showing Lit Kit Flippers on Godzilla

Wow, those look great!

1 week later
#7471 2 years ago

Finally got my shipment in from Wizard Mods. Utilized the apron decal, but have already committed to other side blades and flipper toppers...so I'm going to put the side blades and flipper toppers up on the marketplace.

On their Wizard Mods site, they are $90 plus tax and international shipping, and 18 bucks plus tax and international shipping, respectively.

I'm going to sell them at a bit of a discount from that, so if anyone is interested, please feel free to reach out via PM or respond to the ad, if desired.
Thanks!

EDIT: side blades and flipper toppers -Sold
PXL_20220206_144214348~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220206_144214348~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220206_144323617~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220206_144323617~2 (resized).jpg

#7564 2 years ago

Got a delayed shipment in today of 10 little fighter planes/jets. They are plastic construction but feel solid and look pretty dope. They are essentially the same size as the Hogan Wings planes that I installed on my playfield.

Seems that the rounder nosed planes mimic the pictures on the playfield plastics a bit more, while the sharper nosed planes mimic the jets seen on the movie clips a bit more.

Since i've already installed planes on my playfield, these are now extra, so I will let them go for sale if anyone were interested in any of these for their pf, just give me a PM.

I have 5 white and blue (with more pointed nose) and 5 grey/silver and blue (with more snubbed/rounder nose).

UPDATE:
Grey/silver planes - all sold.
White/blue planes - all sold.

PXL_20220209_051819600 (resized).jpgPXL_20220209_051819600 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220209_052403286 (resized).jpgPXL_20220209_052403286 (resized).jpg

#7632 2 years ago
Quoted from splickety_lit:

Pinstadium is definitely overkill. I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread before, but what light upgrades are people doing for GZ? A couple of spotlights? I think if just the apron lights would stay on all the time, it would be enough.
Mine is in a dimly lit room, which is fine until Tesla Strike, or after a Destruction Jackpot, whenever all the playfield lights go out.

I added to add a few (or more, haha) spotlights and have been pleased with the results.

For general pf lighting, I doubled some spotlights at the left sling (hooked to white GI), added an additional spotlight at the post that has the single stock spot (hooked to white GI), and added another spot just to the left of that (hooked to the red-yellow GI, to offer a little bit more light during modes/times when the GI is predominantly red lit.

To accentuate different aspects about the periphery of the playfield (mods and corners and such), I did add some additional spotlights on top of that: a few stacked hidden behind the bridge facing Godzilla (couple of which are Comet fire bulbs), a couple stacked hidden behind the Drake building facing Mothra and the backboard (comet fire bulb to the backboard, white to Mothra), a couple stacked hidden behind the scoop sign (one white facing the playfield and comet fire bulb to Mechagodzilla), one at the right outlane facing some xiliens (white), and one at the left outlane facing a Maser cannon (white).

Sounds excessive, haha, but a fair amount of these lights are hidden from the eye and overall I think looks pretty seamless, and most importantly it offers enough extra light for my aging eyes that I'm happy.

That said, as you mentioned, during aspects of Tesla strike, or after hitting the destruction jackpot when the playfield lights go out (but the ball is still in play), and heaven forbid to add on top of that the end when totaling up a tank multiball, there is some seriously dark dark times in this game that despite the above, is still pitch black (GI out) with only the dance of insert lights and it is very difficult to see the ball during those times. I hear you (and I also play in a fairly dark game room).

Which brings up a question.
Watching a recent stream of a premium/ LE game (I believe a very recent stream when showing off planet X), it seems as though when that upper loop was hit for destruction jackpot some of the playfield GI remained on. It seemed that the white GI at the slings were on (at least, if not more). This is different than the pro, which offers predominantly red GI while waiting for the destruction jackpot countdown... and then once destruction jackpot is hit, the GI goes out and only a dance of some insert lights present for a brief period of time (as mentioned above).
So, does the premium/ LE have some additional GI lighting during these times? If so, that's lucky, cuz it gets dark dark dark during these times on the Pro. That said, these are only brief times and pound for pound, I'm so incredibly stoked with this game.

PXL_20220205_045430678~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220205_045430678~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220205_045446526~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220205_045446526~2 (resized).jpg

#7636 2 years ago
Quoted from atg1469:

What exactly do these comet fire LEDs do?

You can catch a glimpse of the physical Comet "fire bulb" on that last post.
But essentially there are 4 LEDs on the face of the bulb. Three of which rotate on/off, and one that stays on. The one that stays on is white, the three that rotate on/off are a red, yellow, and an additional white LED.
Comet also makes a "blue fire" (actually both blue and ice blue variations, out of interest).

These are great bulbs for all types of applications. I will sometimes use them on modern games, and sometimes I will stick them at various spots on solid state games...good example would be on games that have fire/explosions, etc like on meteor or blackout. Comet offers them both in bayonet or wedge, so you can put them where you like.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/fire-bulbs

#7642 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Your trees look great. I can’t find any on eBay that look quite like yours. Most look like they don’t have a base and are supposed to stick into foam or something. Can I ask where you got yours?

Thanks!
I initially picked up a box of assorted trees from a model train site online, which were pretty cool, and would have been fine, but I ultimately ended up using some trees that came in a tree assortment bag from Hobby lobby (from their model train section). They come in a couple different sizes and a couple different colors. I did trim the bases a little bit to make them a little bit less wide and a little bit more appropriate for their installed locations.

For install, I ended up fashioning a little aluminum strip with two holes, one to drill up the base of the tree with a small, thin screw, the other to hook to a local hex nut. I covered the base of the tree (to include the thin aluminum present at the tree base) with thin single-sided sticker foam (to protect the plastics underneath).

#7661 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Can you show me where you placed your led behind the drake and how you ran the wire? I couldn't find a good location and went for stashing 3 fire post leds inside the building behind it.

With the playfield out and extended forward, and sitting on the service rails...If you start by threading up the matrix wire from underneath the playfield there at the Drake building area (where there are a few GI lights entering into a somewhat larger playfield hole), you will see that matrix wire come up in between the two plastics that sit behind the Drake building. With a little bit of manipulation of those two plastics, you can create a large enough gap to bring that matrix wire up, on top of the plastics.
When facing the Drake building, to the left and behind the Drake building, you will see the post that assists in holding the wireform that comes out of the subway station and into the back of the Drake building. It is on top of this post that you can place one or two or however many spotlights.

I have found that there are several options back there, from placing a fire bulb facing the backboard (to give a burning look to that building to the right of the subway), to having an additional light facing up at a Mothra figure (that extends from the mothra plastic, if you have something like that going on).
Additionally speaking, once that latter (Mothra intended) light is installed, you can alligator clip onto the Mothra flasher, such that that light turns on when the mothra flasher turns on.

Another thing to consider is attaching that fire bulb light (or any added light/bulb across the playfield) to either the white (white-yellow wire) or red GI (red-yellow wire), such that that light turns on at different times depending on whether the GI is on red or white (offering some additional variation to the different GI lit modes and overall lighting scheme).

#7681 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I'm in the pro situation where the game has times it regularly goes totally dark and makes the game hard in a frustrating, not challenging way. I'd like to add some just to eliminate the not being able to see the ball times. Which additions from your setup would cover that? This will be my first time doing anything with lighting.

The comet matrix lighting system is a very nice system to use. Once you do it once (spotlight/star-post/trough strip light, etc hooked to a GI bulb) you'll be able to do it again and again, just about wherever you like.

However, per the frustration you're having at those above mentioned to times...unfortunately, when the GI goes out (and only pf lights are on), at those times so does additional lighting tied in to that GI (unless using particular lighting systems that utilize light sensors, for example like that used on Mezel mods interactive scoop light).

I'll admit, in addition to the added lighting that I mentioned in the above post on my own game, I did use that interactive light sensor at a couple of locations on my own game to highlight certain peripheral additions that I placed about he pf, but I can't say that it offers any helpful amount of light during those very dark times of gameplay (i.e. after hitting destruction jackpot, for example). Fortunately, most of the time those moments of darkness are very short-lived, but there is no denying that those times are very dark, and during those times it can be very difficult to see/follow the ball, no doubt.

#7683 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Trap up when the game goes dark.

As able, that's my move as well.

#7686 2 years ago

Thanks for the details. Would all of the lights you described in your original post fall into this category (turning off when the rest of the lights do) or would some stay on regardless?
My thought is that if, say, the spotlights are always on and I'm able to increase their number and/or brightness, I'd be all for it. When it comes to a trade of lighting effects and being able to see the playfield, I'll always take the latter (I got frustrated with all the blinding on Game of Thrones, for example, even if the choreography may have been cool).

In short, the answer is yes.
If GI is out, anything hooked to GI is out. That would also include pinstadium lighting, comet matrix system lighting, anything that is hooked to GI.
That leaves you with only external lighting to assist at those dark dark moments, which usually can only be achieved with lighting from other games or overhead lighting or a combination. The only other avenue would be crossing fingers for some attention to this in code development, which is most certainly possible, but unfortunately not supremely likely.

#7739 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

So if you flee a Tier II battle that still qualifies you for Planet X? Tilt forums is confusing cause it talks about controlling a city by the city insert pulsing but then when you read about Planet X it talks about conquering a city.

Yep. Even if you flee it counts towards progress towards Planet X.

#7836 2 years ago

Yes, the rev C is what I've gotten for the past years for my Sterns and have been very happy every time. Easy hookup as well, only takes a minute or two to install.

#7852 2 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Thanks Sonic for the rollover. This helped the ball stuck issue i was having. The slot itself is still a potential hangup, but doesnt seem to happen anymore with the switch actuator removed.
[quoted image]

What exactly is this picture showing? I can see there's something going on at that switch, but I'm not sure what exactly...so now I'm curious. Could you elaborate?
I see a few recent posts here about the switches and hangups at the switches above the shooter lane. Fortunately, I have not yet to experience any of these hang-ups myself, but I assume folks are having issues with the switch right below the pop bumper??, or are individuals having issues both at that switch and the switch to the right of the pop bumper just above the shooter lane?
I'm curious as to what exactly this fix is that you are showing. Thanks!

#7861 2 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

What you are 'not' seeing - is one of our products: a rollover MRS (magnetic reed switch) - it's found in dozens of pins - most prolifically Rick & Morty....it's a plug/play replacement for mechanically activated rollover switches (for any make/model) - a fancy way of saying it is contactless.....it sits just below the playfield slot and is activated in the presence of the ball....MRS' were first developed and utilized in 90's era Williams pins....
Matt
M&M Creations
"We Don't Touch Your Balls..."

Wow. That sounds amazing. Great innovation!! Can't believe I haven't heard of this till now.
I almost wish I did have a switch issue, cuz I'd love to try one of these. But great to know there's an innovative solution out there for this issue, for sure! Thanks for your response to my question.

#7958 2 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

For those of you adding a Godzilla figure behind the bridge, especially Pro owners, how much clearance is there under the glass? How tall can a figure be to fit there? My Pro won't be here til summer, but looking to pick up some mods in the meantime. And how are we mounting these?

True to the above post with the overall height clearance. Note that a lot of these Godzilla toys will fit. When you look online at their measurements, they speak in terms of 12-in Godzilla, but mind you the overwhelming amount of time there describing the length from head to tip of tail.
Not as sure on premium/LE, but on Pro, there is plenty of room for the tail to wrap around the back of that center Drake building a little bit and it doesn't interfere with anything notable back there.

#7986 2 years ago
Quoted from jid:

So what have we decided are the must have mods for a pro? I’m in the March order but already have a bridge, a mechzilla, a UFO, and some Tesla coils. And a shaker motor. I’ll probably do Invisiglass. What else?

Sounds like you're on an excellent track with some good stuff! All that you listed are excellent upgrades.
An upgraded Godzilla for that back left corner would be cool as opposed to the flat plastic..adds some nice dimension and can look really neat back there. You can see a lot of different examples of different Godzilla's here in the thread.
Some Comet spotlights here and there to highlight some stuff is also a cool idea for this game, per your individual preferences.
Mezel mods subway and noodle shop building facades add a very nice touch, as does their upgraded scoop sign. All nicely made. They also have a nice Drake building facade, but some other fellas are also making some really cool designs for that Drake building as well, as you can see here in the thread. All of these building fascades are certainly a nice upgrade to Sterns basic plastic buildings.
Such a simple idea, but also so very cool, I would also like to give a shout out to Space Coast Pinball for that very cool "toho scope" sticker that covers that rather distracting stern insider sticker on the back box. That is a really cool sticker and really adds to the fun of the toho theme.
They're also have become some very nice side blade options out there from Wizard mods, Tilt graphics and now Sterns official release. All of which look very cool.
There's also some nice comments in the thread here related to sound upgrades with different back box and cabinet speakers as well as external subwoofer.
All just food for thought

1 month later
#9008 2 years ago

Noticing that it hasn't been mentioned here yet...
A well-deserved congratulations to tdiddy for being nominated for "best mod of the year" at the TPF Twipy awards this year for his Tesla towers.
Congrats man!

1 month later
#10469 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Got to Terror of Mechagodzilla last night for the first time. What a blast! WAY different from the Soul Gem mode in Avengers. At each level it adds balls, which makes it harder to control your shots and harder to keep the number of flips down. And harder to keep from draining, which costs flips. It was a frenzy of a mode. I can’t wait to get there again. This game keeps getting better!
[quoted image]

Really liking the way you assembled those fighter jets at the corner of your picture! That looks great! Would love to see a full pf view.

1 week later
#10800 1 year ago

Has anyone ever figured out a solution to the ball trap on the flat part of the metal of the upper loop that cannot be dislodged without tilting?
I was playing with my steepness and now remember why I moved off this one. It is infuriating to lose incredible balls/games for the unpardonable offense of a shot not making it all the way around.

I know exactly the spot yet you're talking about, totally frustrating and I think it's a super common phenomena across all games and models... if the ball is not fast enough, the ball stops on that guide rail in the back and because it sits/rests so solidly back there on that metal guide, you really have to shake the machine to dislodge it and it's going to end up in a tilt.
I was thinking about some durable fixes for this a few weeks ago, but got distracted before I could try anything...I should probably revisit that issue. I too would love to hear if anyone has identified a durable fix for that problem.

On another note, it's now been a fairly long time waiting on my flaming speaker panels and the city cut out. I know that the maker of this item requested that we not reach out to check where we are in the queue, but it's now been several months (maybe more). Have others had to wait this long? Do you think I should try and reach out to him or should I continue to keep the faith that they will eventually arrive? Thanks

1 week later
#10986 1 year ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

Anyone know where I can find about 444 feet less of it?

I usually pick up 0.047 music wire from Hobby lobby. Usually comes in ~12-in strands. At that strength the wire is malleable enough to make the loops at the ends of the wire with needle nose pliers (to connect to mods or posts), but strong enough told the mod without much if any wiggling once installed.

1 week later
#11199 1 year ago

So behind the translite, I used/taped a plastic sheet running from the top of the back box (midway front-to-back) to the metal bar in between the translite and the speaker panel. I then attached a 20- SMD warm white strip running at an angle behind Godzilla's fire breath, and 2 Comet fire post lights at the bottom left (at that area of a burning explosion). I then hooked these lights (with Comet matrix system) to the Red portion of GI and received a very nice effect.
I made a small YouTube video of the effect for those interested.

#11207 1 year ago
Quoted from izzy:

Nice. Behind the scene photo please.

When I get back to town tomorrow I will take a picture behind the translite and post the installation pic.

#11208 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That's really brilliant. Well done! Which red GI bulb did you attach to?

Thanks!!
Any red GI bulb will work. I have so many things connected to so many things on this particular game, haha, the two that were available were towards the rear of the playfield, but again, any red GI will work in this case.

#11216 1 year ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

What's a good sized alligator clip for attaching things to existing wiring? Anyone got a link? I've got an Avengers shooter rod I want to hook up to Godzilla and I'd prefer to not have to solder it in place.

Not sure about the size, but the majority of alligator clips that I have used come from Comet to utilize their matrix systems.

www.cometpinball.com

1 week later
#11435 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Too late, chipscott wins hands down!!

Thx for the shout out brother! Appreciate it!!
This game is as badass to mod out as it is to play. Love this game!

#11436 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Hey - let's bring some fun back to Pinside... It would be super cool to have a Godzilla MOD contest..
Winner gets bragging rights!
Or someone should sponsor a Zilla Mod contest.. Love to see what ya'll can do..
Create a Thread and chonk it full of the best Modded out games..
Be cool if we could just have lot's of Pics and a Poll to vote..

If you haven't checked it out already, don't forget to check out the Godzilla mod thread. There's some great ideas and pics from a lot of Pinsiders on there.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-mod-thread

#11495 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Looks great, thanks for the pics, I am going to change mine out to the warm as well. The harsh cool white isn't working for me

This is a more recent picture of my GDZ with warm white in the GI and spotlights. For my preference and eyes, I always change out the stock Stern cool whites for Comet 2-Smd warm white lights.
I also remove the apron and change out the lights that are behind those apron holes facing the playfield. I usually use the 6- LED warm white pads from Comet (gives a little bit of additional light to the proximal playfield) connected via comet matrix system. In addition I'll add warm white trough lighting.

PXL_20220401_195838154 (resized).jpgPXL_20220401_195838154 (resized).jpgPXL_20220401_195846307 (resized).jpgPXL_20220401_195846307 (resized).jpg

#11500 1 year ago
Quoted from crunchysue:

That looks fantastic! Do you have a list of all the bulbs one would need to get to make it happen?

Not sure on the number, but leaving the red GI alone, I changed out all of the white GI to 2-SMD bayonet Comet clear warm white (probably it's close to 30 bulbs), any of bulb flashers on recent Sterns are typically 5V, which I would have in 8-SMD warm white, and for the spotlights I use clear 2-SMD wedge warm whites.

1 week later
#11777 1 year ago

Wow, I have the Pro and this new update is awesome!
The oxygen destroyer added is awesome. Was on my last ball when it was lit, and when I drained out the right outlane it gave me a ball back and center shot lit to destroy/diffuse the oxygen destroyer (which also lit destruction jackpot and the game continued!).
Then with Godzilla multiball, with the one ball attached to the magnet, two additional balls release/self eject, so that there are 3 balls hanging on the magnet during the Godzilla multiball intro...and then all 3 balls release at the same time (similar to the premium versions when three balls fall down at the same time). Just absolutely awesome!
I also feel like there are some new light shows in some of the modes. Just fantastic! Love this game and it just keeps getting better and better.

#11880 1 year ago
Quoted from Bazzy34:

Thinking of trading in our Stranger Things Pro for Godzilla Pro. Our local distributor allows us to trade into new Pro’s for our current game plus $1,000. Any thoughts? I appreciate any feedback you have for me on this potential deal. We are a 1-pin family. We started with Star Trek Pro, traded into Stranger Things, and now considering Godzilla. We seem to trade every 1 - 1 1/2 years when we would like a new pin. Thanks.

You will not regret it. Definitely a good move!

3 weeks later
#12596 1 year ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Finally had our first plastic break.
It is the one directly on top of the Magna Grab.
Is there a way to get just this one plastic and does a protector exist for this one yet?

Pinball life is now selling this replacement plastic (interestingly, for both the premium/ LE and Pro)

Main GDZ page:
https://www.pinballlife.com/godzilla-stern.html

Premium/LE:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-godzilla-premiumle-magna-grab-plastic.html

Pro:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-godzilla-pro-magnet-plastic.html

#12640 1 year ago
Quoted from BobC:

Good job! The police will never find your ganja disguised as trees in your Godzilla machine!

Hahaha.... I was wondering when someone was going to notice that!
Kidding

#12756 1 year ago
Quoted from tedwasright:

Yes. I can see all the balls lighting as they pass optos. See my last post. I have 2 pics. When you say "on screen" you mean the board, right? Not the display screen.

When I examine the picture that Sleal16 gave compared to your picture there at the ball trough, the first obvious thing that I noticed is that the trough opto board that is facing you (on the *front side* of YOUR trough) is the board that's on the *backside* of HIS trough.
I wonder if your trough boards are reversed and somehow delivering confusing information? Meaning, I wonder if the board that is facing you shouldn't be on the back side and vice versa.

Compare these two pictures.
The first is yours, the second is Sleal16 's.
I will also check out my game as well.

63fbb0bab42a9a39e1739fc50b86d8fc2697de62 (resized).jpg63fbb0bab42a9a39e1739fc50b86d8fc2697de62 (resized).jpgab6a36f71f21ac1015faa30ee0b072303b782be1 (resized).jpgab6a36f71f21ac1015faa30ee0b072303b782be1 (resized).jpg

#12757 1 year ago

And this is my board.

So, in comparing the picture below on my board with the pictures above, even though it appears as though I have more male molex prongs on my facing board, similar to you, what I notice is that the 2-prong molex attaches to the *opposite* side (like Sleal16 's picture). Whereas it appears that yours is attached on the facing side.

Another thing that I notice that is different between your picture and the two other pictures is that the red wire that is connected/shared with the multi-prong molex and the 2-prong molex is very short and the pic of this shared red wire between these two connectors can be clearly seen in the pics. However, it is interesting that the red wire coming out of *your* 2-prong molex seems to be longer and it's difficult to say by your picture if that red wire is connected/shared between these two molex connectors.

Needless to say, this definitely shows three different variations coming out of the factory...

PXL_20220722_102431414 (resized).jpgPXL_20220722_102431414 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#13033 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I printed an image, cut out with scissors and painted black. Can anyone cut a plastic gz image to better match the skyline? Happy to pay

Looks awesome!!!!
Both kind of have that "hazy" look and the pics would suggest the building/skyline and GDZ look similar in that haziness....I for one really like that effect, seems more elusive. I vote to leave it be, but wouldn't blame you getting a plastic, but it looks pretty dope as is.

#13399 1 year ago
Quoted from cpiel:

Hi - trying to find where to purchase these flipper bat toppers - checked all the usual suspects, nada.
Anyone?[quoted image]

I believe the fella that runs the ULEK store makes those. He can do them in various color combinations, so I'm sure if you reach out to him and let him know what you're looking for, he would be happy to work with you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1032-ulekstore

1 week later
#13848 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Ok, my NIB Pro will be here weds or thurs. My 1st NIB. Excited as hell, but also a tad "nervous". Been in this hobby quite awhile, but this will be new experience. Like some advice, and or some do's and don't's. Unboxing, set-up, what to look for/check for, Anything. Thanks in advance

Congratulations. What a great first NIB!
If this is your first NIB, my recommendation would be to go to YouTube and check out some unboxing videos, which will give you a few tricks about general setup.
Here's a good one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DN437bDUkL0Q&ved=2ahUKEwjA0ZrSpcr5AhUAg4kEHS9lBegQwqsBegQIFRAE&usg=AOvVaw33BEx2U2T_k_6HnMmymoDw

While somewhat tedious but fun and educational, I would recommend reading through this thread (as you will encounter many do's and don'ts, trials and error, great ideas, etc etc etc...all of which you can learn from as it relates to this particular machine). There's also a separate "Godzilla Mod Thread" here on Pinside forums which has got some clever ideas by many pinsiders.

Also, as mentioned by many above, one nice addition that goes very well/well integrated into the game, would be a shaker motor. My recommendation would be the shaker provided by Pinball Life. There are holes in the cabinet that are ready for the installation of the shaker, and it's as simple as plugging in a single molex into the board in the cabinet on the left underneath the left flipper switch.
Here's the link:

https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html

1 month later
#14835 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Ok, came up with a possible idea for my GZ Pro flat plastic that I replaced with a figure. Obviously I'd trim it some to look better, but it's a general idea. Not worried about the plastic since this pin is bolted to my floor. Not that it matters really anyway. But, look dumb? Ok? Just can't stand that area..
[quoted image]

Looks cool!
I like how the head and arms overlap a little bit.
I would suggest to just trim him at the waist so an equal amount is overlapping on all four sides and attach it to your apron with some kind of thin double-sided sticky tape at the side edges.
Post a pic once done!

#14847 1 year ago

Question for those who have installed Stumblor's (Davey's) scoop sign.
Got it installed and it looks amazing and everything works perfectly fine.
Question is: there's an additional wire that can be used to link into the GI such that when GI goes off, the sign also goes off (or dims?, not sure). Anyway, sounds like this is an additional feature that can be implemented on this mod and I'm wondering if anyone has done this yet and if they prefer it to the sign being on all the time (or vice versa).

#14849 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I like mine on all the time so I havent updated or tried to change anything.Not sure if I am missing anything.

Thx for your reply.

I agree. It's kind of fun on all the time (especially since it's different lighting sequences continues at all times), and especially since it's a "mock" neon sign... I mean, at night when the lights of businesses go out, you'll still see neon signs flickering about in the city, so there is a somewhat realistic benefit to having it on all the time.

Curious for additional votes/impressions out there on the subject.

#14857 1 year ago

Thanks for your responses.
Yes, there is a setting on the back of the sign where you just need to move a connector and then attach a matrix wire and send it down to a GI bulb (and that allows the dimming/off when the GI goes off as opposed to constant on).

I was given all of these components with my package (which was very handsomely packaged I might add...thx again, Davey).

Really just looking for a vote as to what people thought about constant on vs. dim/off with GI off.

Sounds like you like the feature of it going off with the GI. I haven't tried that setting yet, but it seems pretty straightforward.

By the way (and not to jump on any one or another creators bandwagons), but today I also took the opportunity to install Doug's flaming speaker light kits. I'd never seen them in person and Oh $h#t these things are bad to the damn bone! I mean wow man...I knew they'd be cool, but these things are absolutely badass!!!

#14859 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Hoping to FINALLY get mine installed this weekend. Had them for months, but my pin arrived only a few weeks ago. Can't wait...

Same here. They've been sitting down in the game room for about a month, finally had some time to install them today. I had to undo and redo those little micro screws that go into the monitor a couple times over just to get everything right, not that the online instructions weren't good, there was just a couple little steps that I had to stumble over, lol.
They look SO cool. Hats off!!

#14861 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Is there also a Youtube video on the install, or just the online instructions? I used the online instructions on my IMDN, but I prefer a video when available

www speakerlightkits.com.
Site comes up, choose the "manuals" tab there on the left. There's a "flaming flames" icon that pops up (along with the other manuals) and just click that and you're off to the races.

Btw, and on a nother note...I did the light sensor addition to the Tokyo Sign mod (to dim/turn off when GI turns off), and I think I like that result

#14863 1 year ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Yep there is a jumper in the back that needs to be moved from off to on position. In addition I believe the red side of the two wire plug goes on the TX pin on the back of the sign. ( Only the one wire as the other is free off the pin)
Now what I had discovered, when you boot the game the sign will power as normal and dim as normal with a slight delay but works awesome. However if you went into the game settings and adjusted the LED from lets say 100% to like 60% , and the brightness I believe from 255 to like 200. I found when the game called for it's firs dimming effect the sign would dim as normal but not restore when the GI's come back on. Once I changed the settings of the LED inserts and brightness back to 100% and 255 (default) All was good once again.
Just something to know before you or someone else may encounter this and start pulling hair out or make Davey pulls his out lol.

Thanks for the excellent pointers!!
I can see how dimming the GI a bit might negatively affect the sensor, so appreciate that advice!

1 week later
#15179 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, now that 1.0 is out, and I’m quite happy with it, I have a comment.
Keith, could you please not shut off all the lights while there is a ball still in play? Thanks.
Don’t take that wrong. I absolutely love this game. I don’t like they Maser strobe effect either. I think it should be toned down. But I don’t think all the lights should ever be off while a ball is still in play. That’s the one effect that bugs me.

I as well am enjoying the new code and all of the previous preceding code updates, but I too am annoyed at certain aspects of the game when GI goes out and the ball is still in play.

Most notably is when you score destruction jackpot.
When you get that jackpot, GI goes out for a couple seconds and goodness knows where the ball is. It's always a bit of a scary time after you score that jackpot and I have drained many a ball during that time because I just couldn't see where the dang ball was. You'd almost think that there would be extra lights/flashers, etc when you got the destruction jackpot, not GI off.

But pound for pound, this game is so freaking amazing it's hard to have any real complaints, but that has been one of mine since this game released.

#15238 1 year ago
Quoted from SirMachismo:

I just got mine GZ Pro recently and the scoop has yet to reject anything, but I did add Sorbothane to my Deadpool Pro. DP used to reject every third scoop shot. I have yet to check if the scoops are similar sizes, but I can check tonight. I do turn the flipper power down on my two Stern’s just because the flippers seem to hit all the ramps with ease. GZ playfield is currently @ a 6.71 angle I am still fiddling with it. The Sorbothane wasn’t cheep but I do like it on my DP. I may add it to GZ if I see a greater number of rejections. Like others have said, Looking for damage is always a good first move.

Science!!!!
Love it. Great trick to have in the toolbox. Thanks for sharing that tip!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 210.00
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Island, NY
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chula Vista, CA
$ 35.00
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chipscott.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club?tu=chipscott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.