PXL_20240415_201849415 (resized).jpg
IMG_2601 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2538 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1444 (resized).jpg
IMG_7006.jpg
gdz opto receiver (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1374 Removing the ugly Insider sticker on the backbox. Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1795 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Magnet swing adjustments Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #3000 Register Your Game With Insider Connected Posted by TrixTrix (2 years ago)

Post #3546 TECH:LIGHTING. Backbox brightness adjustment PSA Posted by Chisox (2 years ago)

Post #4481 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Building stepper adjustment settings Posted by Palmer (2 years ago)

Post #6364 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bridge and Building adjustments Posted by koops (2 years ago)

Post #6745 MOD: Flame Speaker light kit Posted by DugFreez (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bulletbait.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11810 1 year ago

My Premium didn't make it to the freight location in time to get on the truck today as expected. Going to be a long weekend. So close, yet so far.

#11815 1 year ago
Quoted from newovad:

Some crazy people rent a truck and pick it up from the freight location. Just saying that might be an option.

Haha true -- but I already paid extra for liftgate/residence delivery so it'd be throwing away extra money twice to attempt it. Patience is my virtue this weekend I guess.

#11966 1 year ago

Officially in the club. My Premium from Old Town Pinball arrived in mostly great shape, though I had a bit of a scare on first startup where it told me that it couldn't locate node boards 1, 8, 9, and 10, with the whole playfield basically not lighting up. Broke out the node map in the goodie bag and made sure all of the connections were seated on those boards (honestly none felt loose at all), and luckily all was well on the next startup. Still need to get the leveling right, but excited to setup my first pin. May 31st build date, glass wasn't tight at all.

PXL_20220627_234934541 (resized).jpgPXL_20220627_234934541 (resized).jpg

#11975 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

You can and should adjust the setting of all the coil-powered things this one is gonna be called like building vuk or something. just go through the game specific settings and you'll find it. You also want to tweak the autoplunge and scoop to your taste.

Being brand new to this, would you mind sharing some of the settings you play with? I did go in and turn down the autoplunge to 125 (still not sure I love that) because the autoplunge was launching the ball too high sometimes and missing the curve entirely, just sending the ball up past Mechagodzilla.

Put in a about a dozen games tonight in between fixing various things.

Anyone else had trouble with the ball bouncing off Mechagodzilla's right arm and landing on the right/left rail? I kind of don't mind it, because it just returns the ball to the flippers, but it has happened about 6 times in a dozen games, feels weird.

Also I installed a Stern OEM shaker motor (the official one) and I've been having a lot of trouble with it. Sounds like jackhammer, had to turn the shaker use to LOW to even really be usable. I looked around the forums for general shaker motor issues and I've tried a few things, but no luck yet. Tried it w/ glass off, took off the plastic cover, made sure the shaker is really, really screwed in (used my cordless driver just to be sure), tried without the coinbox... it really just seems like the shaker motor itself is making the noise but it has been very hard to track it to a specific item. Tomorrow I'm going to try repositioning the weights to not be aligned as I've seen suggested. Also didn't check anything w/ the backbox, so maybe I'll try without the translite too. Happy to hear any other suggestions since I'm totally new to this.

#11986 1 year ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

The MechaGodzilla right arm ricochet to the wire form ramp is normal(at least in my game) Also it looks really cool. Haha. The most important setting you can adjust out of the box is the trough eject power(#149 in feature adjustments) turn it down to around 148 instead of the factory setting of 225, so it’s not blasting the ball out through the side of your cabinet. I say 148 because that’s about as low as I can turn mine to get a consistent eject. Lower the better on that setting.
For now, other feature adjustments I have are as follows:
#157 VUK power -adjust to around 145 for more consistent first time pop ups( mine was popping the ball to hard and constantly falling back down at factory setting. It would take 2-3 tries for it to finally land up there)
#150 auto plunger - I adjusted to 130 (I was getting SDTM drains bouncing off magnet at factory setting)
I haven’t messed with scoop power yet because mine seems to bounce off left flipper over to right every time right now and I like it. I may try turning it down little by little to see what results I get.
That’s all I messed with in feature adjustments. You can fine tune your building too. Check the sticky threads in this topic for help there. I think you basically want to get the first floor level with the playfiield.
In standard settings I adjusted
#93 gameplay b.box brightness down to 25% so I’m not seeing a distracting glare on the playfield glass while playing. Set to your liking. Gotta see to play.
For the shaker motor- MAX power BABY!!!! if it’s your first pin and shaker… it’s supposed to rattle the entire house. It’s designed to do so. It’s super immersive. You can always turn it down or off, or pull it and sell it maybe? Shakers are one of the coolest mods to start with and people love them. In a home setting it may get old but when people come over it’s funny to see their reactions when first playing.
Hope these few settings help, and know they may not work the same for you as they do for me.
I’m set up at a 6.5 angle on all my pins front to back and level side to side.
Like I said though, turn that trough eject down right away to save your shooter lane from getting beat up. Have fun and congrats on your first pin!

Really appreciate it, I'll try some of these settings out.

For the shaker, I definitely do want one, the thing that's annoying me so far is that it feels way different on mine than either of the LEs I've been lucky enough to play on location locally. Way way stronger and rattling like a jackhammer vs. more of a continuous rumble that feels more like a nice strong subwoofer, if that makes sense? I'll keep fiddling with it. May also try a pinballlife version instead, just to see. The game definitely doesn't feel complete without one.

#11991 1 year ago

Here's a video of my shaker during the coil test: https://photos.app.goo.gl/E8DkwE82pAZ3kZXA8

I don't have the cover on because I've been taking it in and out so much, but will put it back on if I get this fixed. I adjusted the arms like gumnut01 suggested (went 180 just to see what that was like, think that's way too light and will adjust it again), but unfortunately the "jackhammer" effect is still present even at 180. Though maybe this is what it is supposed to sound like and I'm just wrong lol. Thanks again all, I'll probably also post in the tech forum where this really belongs

#11994 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Are you on a hard floor or carpet? If on concrete or wood floor, try some pads under legs, if you haven't already

Doh, definitely should have thought of that. The back legs are on a soft pad but the front legs overhang onto the tile flooring of the basement. Will definitely stick something under and see if that does it.

#12004 1 year ago

Unfortunately the hard flooring wasn't my issue. Fortunately (?) I did finally nail down the issue. The jackhammer noise is being created by the U shaped casing around the motor banging against it while the motor shakes. I jammed a couple thick pieces of cardboard in the gap between the casing and the motor and the jackhammer noise is all but gone, though that feels incredibly janky as a solution. The casing is secured to the motor on one side by some Phillips head screws, but the other side isn't secured at all and you can flex it away from the motor if you pull on it. The motor shakes enough to get it flapping back and forth apparently. I'm guessing this is what the bolt running through the top of the PinballLife shakers is preventing and why people fix rattling issues with those by tightening it. Posting here just in case anyone else has similar issues with the OEM Stern shaker and is okay with a crappy fix. I'm going to head over to the tech forums to see if anyone else has had this problem and found a better fix than jamming stuff into it.

#12009 1 year ago
Quoted from PoopsMagee:

Despite a very comprehensive description I'm still having a tough time imagining where you're putting the cardboard. Do you have a picture of it? I've dealt with the same thing with my shaker motors so I'd be very interested in a fix if you've found one (other than adjusting the weights to significantly reduce the force of the shaking, somewhat defeating the purpose). Either way if you find a good solution and have the chance to report back I'd be grateful. Love the shaker motor, hate the jackhammer effect.

Edit: If you're a future reader don't be dumb like me and do something better/safer, like the cable tie fix a few posts down

Yep for sure, disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm doing, really, and I can't guarantee this isn't a terrible idea that will burn down your house etc. I've also currently got both a piece of cardboard (from the Stern packaging) and a small instructional booklet wedged in right now, rather than two pieces of cardboard. Basically I flexed the casing away from the motor with my hand and shoved the fillers in as much as I could without damaging the wire connectors. It hasn't 100% resolved the issue, but it is way way better than it was. It only rattles just a little bit on the most extreme rumbles of the game. I'm guessing a better solution might be to drill your own holes and put your own threaded bolt through the top like I've seen that other shakers have, but I'm not really well equipped to try that at the moment.
PXL_20220628_182825667 (resized).jpgPXL_20220628_182825667 (resized).jpg

#12013 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I'm no electrician, but that looks like a possible fire hazard what you rigged up there.

Haha yeah, I'm not going to keep it in for long, mostly just to illustrate where the rattling is happening and what needs tightened up to stop it. At this point I'm leaning toward just eating the cost and buying a PinballLife shaker that has the cross bolt that you can tighten to keep things snug.

#12023 1 year ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I'm no electrician, but that looks like a possible fire hazard what you rigged up there. I'd be really concerened about an arcing wire, heat, what no..not to mention you're operating that flywheel without the cover on...if one accidentally gave way, consider those things as projectile bullets...could destroy/short something under the playfield or worse, injur someone if the playfield was up and it activated /separated....

Quoted from PoopsMagee:

I think I'm gonna try this actually... seems like it'd be a more stable fix

Yep agreed re: safety, I only have the cover off because I've had to fiddle with it so much the last two days, it'll go back on now that I've found a better fix.

New fix, 100% less fire hazard, completely eliminated the jackhammer effect for me so far through a few games. 14" cable tie wrapped around the very top of the casing/frame, pulled as tight as possible with pliers:
PXL_20220628_210026609 (1) (resized).jpgPXL_20220628_210026609 (1) (resized).jpg

We'll see how well it holds up over time, but it took about 30 seconds to put on and they're about 25 cents a piece, so even if I have to put a new one on every once in awhile I think it'll work for me.

#12091 1 year ago

Spent about 15 mins getting my machine near exactly level with a digital level (I think I stopped fiddling at .05 degrees off) and I'll reiterate what I've seen others say about the Godzilla multiball drop -- way better about not going SDTM. They mostly hit the tip of the left flipper and are playable vs. dead dropping right down the middle. When I first started leveling I think I was ~0.6 degrees toward the right.

#12171 1 year ago

I know it's just personal preference really but what playfield angle do y'all use? The manual says 6.5 degrees is recommended and I did enjoy it at the 6.55 that I happened to be at after initial setup. I decided to try it at steeper pitch and adjusted it up to 6.85... not sure I like it as much. Feels like I get more center drains? As a newbie to this, I'm also curious what advantages/tradeoffs there can be to higher/lower pitches other than ball speed, if there are any

#12189 1 year ago

Thanks for the playfield angle input all, I think I'll leave it at 6.8 for awhile and see if it grows on me.

#12368 1 year ago

Welp, my Godzilla Premium is out of action after a couple of weeks, somehow one of the wires running to the upper flipper broke off. Is this something I can just solder back on and it should work? I'm new to all this so any tips would be appreciated. I'll try contacting Stern support too.
PXL_20220707_010847320 (resized).jpgPXL_20220707_010847320 (resized).jpg

#12372 1 year ago

Thanks all, I'll definitely contact Stern support and see if they'll give a replacement. No idea what happened to it, flipper just died mid-game. I've never taken the playfield out and have been very careful when lifting it up and setting it on the head. I think it may have been damaged in transport and was hanging on by a thread. My coin box was all the way in the back of the cabinet when I first assembled it from the box, maybe it winged this on the way back?

#12401 1 year ago

Hah well good (?) to know I wasn't alone with the loose coin box. Fingers crossed it didn't nick anything else up but hey, that's life I guess. Stern support got back to me this morning and confirmed I'll need a new coil, reached out to my dealer and had them put in the warranty order. I'll try soldering it back together soon to see if I can get it working while waiting for the replacement.

#12432 1 year ago

Tab for the upper flipper successfully soldered back on and up and running again, though now my right bumper is randomly firing during gameplay so I'll have to tinker with that. Only had time for a couple quick (bad) games over lunch after the soldering so I didn't get a chance to look at the bumper at all.

#12553 1 year ago
Quoted from golfergordy:

Pls look at my pic (post 12518). Does it look like the wires are wrapped enough times?
The shaker motor works, but at any setting other than minimal (the lowest setting), there's annoying rattling that seems to be coming from the back cabinet - I've tried to locate what's rattling but haven't been successful. At the lowest setting I'm satisfied with the shaking effect, as is everyone else who regularly plays, so I'll just leave it that way and not try to solve a problem that only shows up at higher settings.

Quoted from ax014:

All this shaker motor talk has me looking for guidance. I've got a shaker motor installed on my pro- it rattles the machine like crazy! I have the shaker settings set to "Minimal". Do any of you shaker motor enthusiasts have any tips for reducing the rattling, and/or tips to improve my situation so I could run the motor on the default setting?

If either of you might describe the sound as "jackhammer" like and you have the OEM "official" Stern shaker motor, you might be having the same trouble I was (and fixed with a zip tie):

Quoted from bulletbait:

Yep agreed re: safety, I only have the cover off because I've had to fiddle with it so much the last two days, it'll go back on now that I've found a better fix.
New fix, 100% less fire hazard, completely eliminated the jackhammer effect for me so far through a few games. 14" cable tie wrapped around the very top of the casing/frame, pulled as tight as possible with pliers:
[quoted image]
We'll see how well it holds up over time, but it took about 30 seconds to put on and they're about 25 cents a piece, so even if I have to put a new one on every once in awhile I think it'll work for me.

2 weeks later
#13059 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

27", excellent, thank you!

Mine was closer to 27.5" for the backbox width, FYI. Was measuring before moving into my basement on whether I needed to remove the railing. Just got it through without.

#13252 1 year ago
Quoted from viper001:

My games are right below my router so I'm not sure the signal is weak in that area but I'll try it again and see what I get. So once you go in there and the download starts that is all that it takes? You don't need to go into the sub menu under "Software Updates" and do anything?

I think you have to go into the sub menu and select something like "install update" vs. just download it. At least, that's what I did at the start of the process for both of mine yesterday and they immediately ran the actual update process as soon as the download finished. I think it lets you queue up/turn on automatic download but doesn't automatically install, in case you want to control when it actually does the update.

1 week later
#13808 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

It happens by luck, but sdtm 95% , so I don't try anymore

Yeah, I'm not very good but I've only hit it maybe twice in ~250 games and one of those I wasn't even trying (just a bad shot lol)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chula Vista, CA
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bulletbait.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club?tu=bulletbait and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.