gdz opto receiver (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_215256_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1439 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408-172718 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240408-172819 (resized).png
IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5052 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1374 Removing the ugly Insider sticker on the backbox. Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1795 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Magnet swing adjustments Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #3000 Register Your Game With Insider Connected Posted by TrixTrix (2 years ago)

Post #3546 TECH:LIGHTING. Backbox brightness adjustment PSA Posted by Chisox (2 years ago)

Post #4481 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Building stepper adjustment settings Posted by Palmer (2 years ago)

Post #6364 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bridge and Building adjustments Posted by koops (2 years ago)

Post #6745 MOD: Flame Speaker light kit Posted by DugFreez (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bfaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12054 1 year ago

Joined the club today. FINALLY!
Played a GZ-LE Dec 10th at a launch party. Ordered a Premium on December 13th. Distro told me "You'll be in my August allocation", and continued to tell me my position in his roster as the months rolled along. Was still agonizing.
Found this thread in mid January and have read every post. A million thanks to those of you who are regular contributors. You have helped me learn, made me laugh, and helped me keep my sanity as I waited anxiously for 7 months. I have learned a ton and am excited to join a community of such friendly, helpful and patient people. I must have 40 bookmarks to refer back to for settings, adjustments, fixes and so forth. And, like others, I have a closet full of mods that will take some time to get after. GZ Prem. Born June 18, 2022. Glass comes off nice and smooth. Only about 20 plays in, but it seems to be playing perfectly. Thanks again to all of you offering amazing help, advice, support and mods.

NIB GZ 6-28-22 (resized).jpgNIB GZ 6-28-22 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#12533 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Tesla towers, flaming frame speaker lights , swap the Godzilla figure. Check out the Godzilla mod thread for all kinds of ideas.
A great organization.

This and PinMonks Tibetan Breeze Flipper and Coil fans plus new coil stops. If you still have cash, Stremmy's OD mod is killer as is Sleal16's saucer. The GZ Mod thread is excellent.

#12535 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

#1 for Godzilla is a shaker motor

Shaker motor is a must on this pin. If you don't have one, order it today. Game is not complete without it.
Best $200 and 2 minutes install time you can spend on this game.

#12559 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Which shaker motor? Stern or 3rd party?

I am running the Stern. Standard settings. No adjustment. Love the way it responds in game.
Glass doesn't rattle, no squeaks (which have been reported by others) but it is aggressive at some points.
Certainly a matter of taste, but to me, this pin isn't complete w/o it.

2 months later
#14903 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

my right side sling is firing off now and then for no reason

Get a leaf switch adjustment tool and have at it. Google "how to use" it and go slow. SMALL adjustments.
51ar5NapckL._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg51ar5NapckL._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg

#14918 1 year ago
Quoted from Apex:

Can anyone show me how their left flipper is wired, pretty sure mine is backwards.[quoted image]

Looks the same as mine

Left flipper switdh GZ Prem (resized).jpgLeft flipper switdh GZ Prem (resized).jpg
1 week later
#15172 1 year ago
Quoted from Jokode:

what I’m curious about is what do folks do with the playfield once is out…

Best way, imo, is to build a pin rotisserie. If you already have a mitre saw stand, you are almost there.
I followed YouTube instructions from Canadian Arcade. Works exceptionally well.

you can also find them on the web pre-constructed from some resellers. Google "pinball playfield rotisserie"

Video link to the build your own version here:

Super easy. And works perfectly.

2 weeks later
#15498 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

So I notice with my Godzilla Premium yesterday that when I open the coin door it is NOT turning off the high voltage. I believe this started to occur after I updated the game to the latest code but I am not 100% sure.
Anyone else having this problem? Lo

Having the same issue. It definitely began after the 1.0 code

1 week later
#15685 1 year ago
Quoted from splickety_lit:

Having an issue with the left flipper. Any thoughts?[quoted image][quoted image]

This fixed my issue. Used the flipper adjustment tool from Titan Pinball, but a thick business card, or maybe a thin one folded will give you a decent gap.
Fwiw, had already swapped out coil stops and sleeves with new ones from Pinball life. Always a good idea.

#15935 1 year ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Has anyone had the coindoor interlock switch stop working after the latest code update? .

Mine stopped working after the 1.0 update. Ticket issued with Stern. If you search back about two weeks in this thread you'll see some others had the same issue. Seems to be a power distribution board issue. Contact your distributor. If you have another Spike 2 PDB try swapping that. fwiw my build date was 6/18/22.

#15937 1 year ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Can someone check to see if theirs moves freely when they have their playfield up possibly? Thanks!

Mine spins freely when power is off and pf up. Seems to work perfectly in game.

#15941 1 year ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

I was going to update code soon. Should I not update to 1,0 code?

Other than the coin door not cutting power when opened, my game works fine.
New code is great (other than the dumbing down of the Imposter shot)
Download the code and play till your fingers bleed.

#16125 1 year ago
Quoted from RoadQueen:

OK so I think I found a more permanent fix for the Prem/LE issue reported by multiple users of a ball going through the building in the lock position but not being found. Issue seems to be that the ball gets stuck in the gap between the subway and VUK, with end result of game going into ball search.

Quoted from JayLar:

In order to shorten the space I went ahead and bent the lip where the ball comes down into the subway (se Photo 1) and moved the entire subway further towards the VUK-kicker

Also wanted to confirm that RoadQueen has identified (for me at least) the source of the problem with the ball not seating in the VUK. When I inspected mine, intending to put in RoadQueen's washer set-up, I noticed that all of the vertical chute screws were a bit loose, especially the two at the bottom (where RoadQueen had put in 0 washers). I secured those tightly (no washers added) and have not had a "lost" ball in the VUK in 50 games since. Seems to me that a contributing problem is the use of the "handle" on the top of the playfield backboard stresses that area and aggravates the problem. My advice would be to not lift by that handle at all. Ever. If I do begin to experience lost balls in the VUK, I will add washers as RoadQueens solution shows. But for those of you with the same issue, a good first thing is to check and tighten those screws holding the vertical chute.

Now that I think about it, I had previously tried JayLars solution and likely those two together are what has my VUK working perfectly for now
Quick thanks to JayLar and RoadQueen!

2 weeks later
#16669 1 year ago
Quoted from Saddath:When the magnet grabs the ball the ball is just hangig on the underside of the magnet. It even blocks the multiballs that get plunged and they all stick together in the end until the magnet turns off. I guess this isn't normal behaviour...or is it?

Happens on mine some of the time. Most of the time, the auto-plunged ball will pass through under it, but not always. Sometimes gets hung up and attached. Other times rattles off. Either way, it's game on and time to shoot blue targets!
Have the ABE_FLIPS mod from @Lermods. Mecha multi ball has worked pretty much the same both before and after.

1 week later
#16813 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Where is the Japanese speech selection ?

Push left flipper once after start of player, but before you launch the first ball.
it will toggle between Japanese and English
Selectable for each player individually

#16999 1 year ago
Quoted from troon47:

Hi all,
Today the magnet on my Mechagodzilla and the whole two inch bolt thing it's fastened to fell out. All that's left is a hole with a washer sitting in it. Even looks like there could be some damage on the plastic around the edges of the hole. Curious if others have experienced this and what the fix entailed. Thanks.

This happened to mine just last week. Easy fix. First go to page 56 in the service manual to see the exploded parts diagram.
Lift the playfield and find the screw that goes in the back of the magnet core (his belly button). Part #7 in the diagram. You will also need to find the spring washer (part #8) which is most likely still inside Mecha, just fallen down.

Two tips.
First, while the Magnet core is out of Mecha take the screw and thread it all the way back into the core. On mine, the threads had "tightened" I think due to the heat that gets generated. Had to drive the screw all the way in to sort of re-expand the threaded hole. Was no problem, just could not get the leverage while it was in place trying to reattach.
Also, holding the spring clip in place was a bit of a challenge until I used my magnetic grabber tool to hold it in place while I slide the magnet core back through. Super easy with the magnet tool assist.

15 minute fix. Five minutes to search for the screw. Five minutes to scratch my head and strategize. Five minutes of work.

Also, I put a dab of blue lock-tite on the screw when I replaced it (distributor's suggestion).
Probably 100 plays since fixed. No further problem. Working as it should.

1 month later
#18035 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I have no idea what the imposter award is? lol, Am I getting it? is it a screen animation to look for?

Imposter is when the magna grab holds the ball and then you get it to go behind the upper flipper. Either by releasing it so it rolls down that way, or if you hit it up through there before it times out.

And yes. most likely the issue seems to be your MRS (if you have installed it behind the upper flipper) is triggering during the magna grab. Go into switch test and check it out. If that's it, Sonic is great about replacing flakey switches with new and improved versions. Just hit him up.

2 months later
#19718 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

2 out of 3 have broke on my game. I tried super glue but it just won’t stay.

Quoted from moTiv8:

my Tesla Tower has broken

Yeah, mine took an airball awhile ago. When you consider the damage created by the mass, velocity and impact of those balls, these and other 3D printed things are never going to last forever. But for roughly $100 I don't expect more or mind fixing them as long as possible and maybe evey 5 years replace the entire set.

I have had excellent success with using a 3M mounting tape splint. Then cover the front side with your badge or sticker of choice.
For me, a Stealie makes everything better. If you want to keep with the electric theme, I did have a lightning bolt on there before which also looked great. This has taken additional airballs and has needed to be "re-repaired/repositioned" a couple of times. But, the mounting tape splint system has been great for me.

For those curious the lightning bolts (and other excellent stuff) can be found here: https://grateful-fred.com/products/the-grateful-dead-chrome-bolt
(no, I have no affiliation, just love his stuff)

Tesla Tower back (resized).jpgTesla Tower back (resized).jpgTesla Tower front side (resized).jpgTesla Tower front side (resized).jpg
7 months later
#24716 5 months ago

Finally made it to Planet X the "right" way by progressing through all four cities and playing all seven main battles before going to Planet X.
Got this game NIB 18 months ago.
Over 2200 attempts.

Now I gotta get back there, but next time only after completing all carnage bonuses in each city.
Hope it doesn't take another 2000 attempts. But even if it does,
Damn good fun every game!

GZ GC 10-23-23 (resized).jpegGZ GC 10-23-23 (resized).jpeg
#24757 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Your 4.6B puts you in the top 20 scores. #1 is 32 billion, somehow. My best is still just 1B. But I don’t know the rules well.

Holy smokes! I had no idea. Thanks for that.
2200 plays gave me plenty of time to learn the rules, and especially the particulars of my machine and when/how to nudge/slap/deadflip etc. If your main goal is scoring in particular, you'll want to focus on getting to, and then collecting those super jackpots in all the mini modes. You can get past 1B without leaving Tokyo if you collect on everything.

For me its a strange mix of patience and aggression. Patient when the ball is near flippers to let it settle for control. Milliseconds later, nudging and slapping like a caged gorrilla on crack to keep it out of the outlanes.

Currently, I am super stoked. Have a TMNT Premium arriving within the hour.
It's actually going to be gifted to my kid for whom its a dream theme but he is not in a position to buy right now. And he's currently in a thin walled apartment. I figure I'll have time to put about 2000 plays on it before he's settled and post some scores on there that will annoy the crap outta him!
I am pacing around the house looking out the window every 30 seconds.
It's Pin-Christmas today!

1 week later
#24965 5 months ago
Quoted from Salami_Inferno:

What’s the word on the best non-reflective glass? Slightly non Godzilla topic but it does impact my Godzilla machine more than my others

I put PDI on two of my pins a few months ago. I will now have to put it on the others. The difference is amazing. But really I think any HD/invisi/vodoo are alll a huge improvement over regular glass. I don't think you'll find an unhappy owner with any of them.

A huge impact regardless if you change the glass or not, is to make sure to adjust the setting for "backglass brightness during gameplay" to something less than 18%. I like 10-12% on my machines.

#25052 5 months ago
Quoted from Harvester:

any good recommendations for a shooter rod? I’m in the market.
[quoted image]

I went with the Godzilla eye shooter from Super Skill Shot.
Then went with the same start button. Love them both

https://superskillshot.com/search?q=godzilla+eye

I now have Super Skill Shot shooter rods on every machine I own. They shoot like butter.

#25062 5 months ago
Quoted from CapeCodPin:

Which size did you go with....35mm or 40mm?

Well I didn't want to pile on to Chuck & Dak's posts about how great they are at Super Skill Shot. Didnt want to sound like I was pushing too hard.
And btw, there is a mod thread here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-mod-thread

Definitely worth paging through. Lot of amazing work by talented people.
But fair warning. You will drain your wallet.

To answer your question:
The first time I went with 40mm. After almost 2000 plays, the front popped off.
I emalled Bill, the owner of Super Skill Shot asking about glue reccomendations. He insisted he send me another free of charge. I insisted that 2000 plays was out of warranty and so I paypal'd him anyway. So Bill drops the Godzilla eye start button in the box with the rod and sent that at no charge.

The first time there wasnt a 35mm option. Bill had asked and I told him I preferred smaller. And after install I definietely do. Reason being, that is basically the siize of a Williams/Bally or a stock Stern. Except the quality is phenomenal. Literraly shoots and feels so smooth. And I prefer smooth shooter knobs. Both front and backside. His are like glass.

Also, I loved the eye start button so much, i paypal'd him for that as well. Over his protests I should add. But I just love the modding community and what those people do. Creative stuff and never going to sell millions of these things. And really. 2000 plays, to me is about 1500 out of warranty.
Was gonna take pics of my machine, but the ones on his website look exactly like they will look on your machine.

1 month later
#25919 3 months ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Any fix for the shooter lane shooting out two balls at once???
Shooter Ln., Otpto seems fine. I tried lowering the ejector 200.

Try swapping your balls with new ones. Carbon steel preferred. In my games anyway, one of the first signs of magnetised balls is shooter lane acting up, by either misfeeding, or feeding two. Btw, new balls are packed in oil to prevent rust, make sure to wash them in alcohol, naphtha, or similar before loading in your game.

3 weeks later
#26474 88 days ago

For the VUK, sounds like you've found the key post with washers. And it sounds like that is a pretty solid fix.
For me, I didnt have to go that far. Early on, I had the same issue. When I had the playfield on jacks I noticed my backboard was not screwed tightly to the playfield. If I remember correctly there were only 3 or 4 wood screws holding that backboard.
I tightened those up nice and snug, did the same for the VUK brackets, both the one under the playfield and the vertical chute on the backboard.
Then, and I think most importantly I believe, I have never again used that "handle" on the top of the backboard. I reach under the playfield gently with two fingers and find a bare spot to use as a lift point. Over 2000 plays since and it miss-fires maybe once every 15 times. And then it always makes it up on the second coil fire.

ymmv, but worth a check.

#26486 88 days ago
Quoted from Chopplebrains:

I did the tightening but will double check this - thanks. Another thought - I had vuk issues with Elvira hoh - the main thing that fixed that was taking the rod out of the coil and grinding it a bit - not making it shorter, just barely enough to add a scallop so the ball has a little niche to sit in - this made it so the ball was centered on the rod and would then fire straight up the vuk every time. I thought the Godzilla building vuk had a metal rod instead of plastic - does anyone know if it’s metal? I suppose I could grind metal too but a little harder, not sure I have the right tools.

Had the same issue on EHOH, same fix with "cupping" the plunger. Havent been under my GZ in a long time. I dont remember if that plunger is poly like EHOH or metal. But I also dont really think it is the same issue with GZ as it was for EHOH. For EHOH it was a "sloppy" situation where for whatever reason the ball wasn't centering on the plunger. For GZ, I think the main issue was the gap where the underplayfield trough meets the vertical chute. Ball was getting caught sitting in that gap. I believe that's why the business card solution can also work.
But, take all this for what its worth. Which ain't a lot. I havent been in that area of GZ for over a year now. Just going on admittedly failing and faulty memory!

#26488 87 days ago
Quoted from Chopplebrains:

Wrt magna grab, mine releases such that the flipper most often can’t reach it or can barely reach it - rarely is it ever hit with enough force to make it even into the begin if of the loop shot.

You should be able to hit the loop from the magna grab drop.

Check the key posts up top.
It's buried in there

Here ya go.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/170#post-6820254

Yup, I know it says its for easier entry to the left ramp.
And it does help with that as well.

After that, if you are still missing, I believe the next advice was to start dropping your back left leg leveler by a quarter turn until you can.

#26534 85 days ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

My magna grab looks like this one, where all the ball contact takes place. Does everyone’s look like this? Anything to do to protect it? Thanks

I used the washer solution just in front of the coil stop. Been working perfectly for 1500 plays since.

From this post, found in the key posts top of page:
"Solution : Added 4 11x.9mm washers between the end of the plunger and the coil stop to restrict its motion. A flat washer without the hole would probably be better but this is all I had on hand. The number of washers required will depend on the amount of unwanted motion you have,

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/128#post-6714220

#26544 85 days ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

Thanks yeah, you are correct. I’m talking about the abrasions/scuffing on the magna grab round metal that the ball contacts/sticks to. Mine looks the same way, might just be how it is. Thanks!

Ah, you are correct bwalter I totally missed the point on that. And yes, mine looks the same. Pretty beat up. I boughht a new one from Pinball life about 1000 plays ago thinking at some point I might have to change it. But I never have and for sure its more beat up now, but not THAT much more beat up if that makes any sense. In any case, still seems to operate just fine so havent worried about it.

$10 at Pinball life
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-godzilla-magna-grab-cap.html

#26586 83 days ago

I have Stern shakers in all my Stern pins.
Only EHOH squeaked. And it squeaked a lot. At first I didnt care because it kinda goes with the theme.
But after seeing people post about the $5 Pinball life polarity reverser I figured I would try it.
Amazingly the thing was squeak free immediately and has remainded that way for another 400+ plays.
I suppose it may start to squeak again, and if it does, for sure I wil just take it out.
But yeah, can confirm. $5 and worked great for me.

2 weeks later
#26789 69 days ago
Quoted from tscottn:

Does anyone know how to light Kaiju Battle in another city after defeating a monster in Tokyo on a premium? I was only able to do it once. most of the time I move to another city, but can never get Kaiju Battle to light. Is there something I'm missing or maybe a switch is broken but it seems like everything on my PF is functioning normally.

To relight Kaiju battles you have to shoot both the left and right ramp once each, then put it in the scoop. In Tokyo only you can shoot the same ramp twice. All this is assuning you have it on easy/normal settings. There are yellow lights on the signs by the bridge entrance that will unlight as you qualify each bridge shot. (in Tokyo they both stay lit until you make two shots). Once you do that, the scoop will light for Kaiju battle followed by a callout and Godzilla pulling up in the boxing stance on screen. Shoot scoop. Choose battle.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
$ 210.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bfaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club?tu=bfaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.