Screenshot_20240408_215256_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1439 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408-172718 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240408-172819 (resized).png
IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5052 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1374 Removing the ugly Insider sticker on the backbox. Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1795 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Magnet swing adjustments Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #3000 Register Your Game With Insider Connected Posted by TrixTrix (2 years ago)

Post #3546 TECH:LIGHTING. Backbox brightness adjustment PSA Posted by Chisox (2 years ago)

Post #4481 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Building stepper adjustment settings Posted by Palmer (2 years ago)

Post #6364 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bridge and Building adjustments Posted by koops (2 years ago)

Post #6745 MOD: Flame Speaker light kit Posted by DugFreez (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scotty_K.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12547 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

And I second the recommendation to put quiet-fans in the Stern Power supplies. I do this on all my Sterns. The original fan (apparently made by Pratt and Whitney?) is obnoxiously loud in a home environment.

And I third it. I also do this with my Sterns, and it makes a big difference, especially if you are planning on keeping it in the home. I'll be doing this when my GZ Prem arrives at the end of the year, as well as my TBL, which uses the same power supply.

#12554 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Or this -
https://pinmonk.com/products/spike-quiet-fan-plug-n-play-kit
runs all the time very quiet, instead of the turn on/off louder stern fan

There's also a DIY option for those so inclined:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans#post-4351927

I originally did this for the single Stern that I had at the time, but I bought enough parts to make four. Glad I did, as now all are spoken for. Cheap and easy.

1 month later
#13739 1 year ago
Quoted from fkane:

My premium has been doing strange things lately. Sometimes a second ball will fire shortly after starting a ball for no apparent reason, and sometimes it goes dark and the flippers stop responding for no reason, like it does when you fail the oxygen destroyer. It's fine again once the ball drains.
I'm guessing my shaker motor shook something loose, but the plugs on the ball trough seem OK. Anyone run into this and know where to start looking?

Yep recently ran into this same issue on my Beatles. As mentioned, go into switch test so you can see if they are registering correctly. Reseat the connectors on the through boards, and also the connector leading to the node board (that's what it would up being on mine.).

#13936 1 year ago

Geez, I come here for Godzilla pin stuff and find an argument about the use of "mil"...

Can we get back on track here?

#13940 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How many mils do you think the Godzilla machine is?

That's better. Carry on...

1 month later
#15629 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I’ve searched the web and can’t find anywhere that states what the secret combos are...

If they told you, then they wouldn't be secret combos now, would they?

1 month later
#16704 1 year ago

The King of the Monsters arrived in North Jersey today:
IMG_20221116_134957705 (resized).jpgIMG_20221116_134957705 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221116_152504434 (resized).jpgIMG_20221116_152504434 (resized).jpg

Build date is November 3.

So glad to finally get this! Special thanks goes out to Mike, Jamal, and especially Becky at Automated Services.

Can't wait to dig in; let the modding begin!

#16749 1 year ago

Hi all.

As I reported this past Wednesday, I am the proud new owner of a new GZPre. After having time on it now, I must say that everything that everyone is saying about how great this machine is is totally true. I'm really enjoying the layout and flow, the code; my goodness, so many things to shoot for. I know I'm only scratching the surface at this point, with so many things left for me to discover, that I don't see myself getting bored with this any time soon. It certainly deserves all of the accolades it has been getting.

As an avid reader of this thread, I made sure that before I made any kind of extensive play that I took care of a few things before hand, most notably the issue with the bridge. I saw that after only the first two plays that the plastic below was already being affected, so I put the washers in the coil and that took care of that. I figured that while I was at it that now would be a good time to perhaps switch out the notorious stock coil stops (which I have done with my other Sterns), but when I looked at them, I saw this:

IMG_20221118_203826738 (resized).jpgIMG_20221118_203826738 (resized).jpg

IMG_20221118_203846147 (resized).jpgIMG_20221118_203846147 (resized).jpg

Notice the small red dots that have been painted on them. I'm certain that they mean something, although what I'm not at all certain. Could it be that maybe they have finally addressed the subpar stops that they have used in the past and put in new ones, or maybe these are the old ones that they are giving a "scarlet letter" in case something goes wrong?

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their GZ (or any other recent Stern, for that matter)? Or maybe does anyone know what the red dot might mean?

(BTW, this is a November 3, 2022 build)

Just curious...

#16753 1 year ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Could you elaborate or show a pic that explains were to put the washer for the bridge fix? Thanks!

Here's the original post by koops with the solution for the bridge:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/128#post-6714220

#16755 1 year ago
Quoted from heynonny:

July 2022build with a light green dot...

Hmm; the plot thickens...

Perhaps they are experimenting with different coil stops and are marking them accordingly to see if they get any feedback on failures; just speculating here...

#16850 1 year ago

Gosh... watching Godzilla download new code, I feel like Elizabeth Taylor waiting for the microwave to finish; "Hurry!"

#16863 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

Mine took like 35-40 minutes. I kept going around the house unplugging devices lol

Yeah, I was just kidding...

Actually this was the first update I've ever done using the WiFi (only had GZ for a week now) and it took an hour over a weak signal, which I didn't think was too bad at all.

#16877 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

I tried that as well with the Stern dongle that came with mine and it didn't change anything.
Then the one I got from Microcenter, that is the same form factor as well (just a tiny USB dongle), works flawlessly.

Can you tell us what model WiFi dongle you got at Microcenter? I have one nearby and might like to pick one up.

#17067 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

What’s the adjustment for the building down vibration? That’s not normal right?

Quoted from medeski7:

Man, that sucks. Mine does this, obviously from my videos. Oddly, when the game ends and balls are on the roof it lowers and raises smoothly 100% of the time. I don't understand why it rattles sometimes in game and is smooth during reset. I'd like to know if this is through Stern or the Distro too. I need to decide what to do.

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. I experienced this as well, on the 26th game played.

I just added a shaker motor in the past few days, so now this is somewhat hard to detect, although it seems that the shaker is aggravating the building shake. I think I'm going to get in touch with Stern, just to be sure.

2 weeks later
#17490 1 year ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Which one did you go with? This will be my first.

Honestly, either will work out well. If you want to save a few bucks, get the one from PinballLife. I have that one installed on mine, and it works as it should.

A shaker is definitely a great addition to GZ; go for it!

#17514 1 year ago

I've had my GZ for about a month now, and I have to agree with everything that has been said; such a great game to play, even though I currently suck at it! But that's the incentive, isn't it? The fun part is the journey to getting better!

Interesting to see that others have similar tastes to my own; my current lineup in addition to GZ is TZ, Beatles (platinum), and BM66. I also received an invoice for TBL today, so that should set me up for some time.

#17561 1 year ago

As I have mentioned earlier, I've had my GZ Premium for a little over a month now, and I am enjoying everything about it. It’s really a great shooter, with so many goals to accomplish, that I don’t see myself getting bored with it anytime soon. And thanks to all of the suggestions posted here about mods and game fixes (most notably the bridge and Abe-Flips ones), I was able to get my game set up right before I launched the first ball.

That’s not to say that I haven’t come across an issue that is a little nagging. I came across some earlier posts about others having an issue with the ball getting stuck just behind the building as the result of a somewhat weak flip; this, in fact, happened to me during two of the first three games that I played on my new machine. Subsequently it has occurred several more times, and there’s nothing more annoying than when you have a good game going and then losing it due to the ball stopping behind the building and you either tilt trying to unsuccessfully shake it loose or taking the glass off and draining it that way. Well, I decided to do something about it and thought that I would share it here so that others might benefit, if so inclined.

The first thing I did was set about to see what the actual problem might be, and it seems that the lower ball guide has a flat spot, and this is where the ball would settle, so it seemed to me that the issue might be remedied by rounding out the flat area.

I proceeded to remove the ball guide; this involved removing the plastics, two wireforms, and a couple of posts in order to access the screw points of the guide. Once removed, here’s what I did: I stuck a vinyl bumper (like what you would use on the corner of a cabinet door) at about the center of the flat area (the bumper is ½” in diameter, and is 1/8” in height, and is flat). I then cut a thin piece of aluminum flash sheet, using tin snips, the same height as the guide, with a length that would “round out” the flat area. I used a file to smooth out the rough edges, and then I used some double-sided carpet tape on the ends of the new piece, and attached it to the guide, as shown in the photos below:

IMG_20221216_200633558 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_200633558 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_200539864 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_200539864 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_200642985 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_200642985 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_200911928 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_200911928 (resized).jpg

The result is now the area that was flat is now rounded, so the ball will hopefully just roll back or forward on those weak hits. Here are a few photos with the fix partially installed…

IMG_20221216_201541617 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_201541617 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_202647217 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_202647217 (resized).jpg

…and now after full reinstallation of the previously removed parts.

IMG_20221216_204056540 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_204056540 (resized).jpg

I’ve had this in for a little over a week now, and I have yet to experience a ball stop behind the building. Everything that I used I had on hand on my work bench, but if you would like to do this, you can get everything you need at Home Depot (the sheeting was a 10-pack for a little over $3; the bumpers I’m not sure how much they cost, but they won’t break the bank).

IMG_20221216_200721463 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_200721463 (resized).jpg

Hope this helps!

#17563 1 year ago
Quoted from John_C:

But why stick on a new ball guide rather than trying to reshape the OEM piece to rid it of that flat spot?

Actually, I did consider that, but I don't really have the proper tools to do that correctly and didn't want to bend it in a way that might not accomplish what I wanted or maybe even made the problem worse.

I figured this was the safest way to proceed and was completely reverseable if it didn't work.

1 month later
#18482 1 year ago
Quoted from golfergordy:

I know that this topic has been discussed many times (damaged plastic at the magnagrab below the bridge), and the popular solution seems to be to drop a small washer into the coil sleeve to shorten the plunger travel, which theoretically should reduce the bridge movement so it stops prior to touching the plastic. I have just installed the washer, but I see that the bridge can still travel low enough to still strike the same plastic. The washer just stops the plunger sooner, but the bridge can still travel farther than where the plunger stops due to free play in the bridge mechanism after the plunger stops.
My question is: has anyone employed the washer-in-the-coil-sleeve solution and then had the replacement plastic also break, or has this solution been confirmed as an A-1 successful solution?

I think you need to install more than one washer for this fix to be effective. Put another one in and see where the bridge stops. If necessary, add more. I had to put 4 of them in mine; works like a charm.

#18492 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

As the game ends after KotM, it gives you a choice to extend your game and score if you are either just wanting to push your score further or you still have balls left and don’t want to end your game by playing KotM. The next time you level up you’ll be presented the same choice, continuing until you pick KotM.
There’s an achievement for level 15.

Ah, now that makes sense.

Not that I have anything to worry about, mind you, as I have a LONG way to go before I even get there to make a choice!

2 weeks later
#18876 1 year ago

Just noticed something while playing the latest update:
While in attract mode, I saw, "In memoriam, Dean Grover, "The Reaper".
First time I've seen that. Nice tribute to one of the good guys.

2 weeks later
#19211 1 year ago
Quoted from mikespins:

I'm in the club! First premium NIB! Thanks to Jason Grindle from Classic Game Rooms.
[quoted image]

Congrats and enjoy, and welcome to the club!

Jason is certainly top notch, too.

#19364 1 year ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

I would keep all pinball cabinets out of direct sunlight.
RM

^^^ This.

#19435 1 year ago
Quoted from MB1969C10:

I got my Pro last week. I am in Monster Heaven! I look forward to playing daily and rereading all 389 pages of this thread.

That's exactly what I did, except in my case I got through the whole thread while I was waiting on my game. It makes very good reading, and you'll certainly be prepared for anything that pops up. Plus, if you do run into an issue, everyone here is very helpful.
Enjoy!

2 weeks later
#19800 1 year ago
Quoted from Killermarmot:

Yeah my Prem has that shorter updated version and still got whacked...

I can confirm this. My Pre is a November build, and it has the shortened plastic. It started to show marks after only 3 plays, so I did the washer-in-the-coil fix, and it's been good as gold ever since.

#19819 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I really like Doug's flaming frames...[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah I'm still waiting on mine. I ordered back in November, so I hope I'll see it soon. His stuff is terrific!

1 week later
#20026 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Yes, the stock speakers are poor. Sound and music are big parts of the game and well worth it imo. A simple upgrade you can do is change the backbox speakers with Kicker CSC 4”. Direct swap. Can also do 5.25” speakers but you need to get new mounting plates. Just doing that will yield a good improvement. You can also replace the cab speaker with a sub or use an external sub. And people take it even further with amps and so on. Check out the DIY audio thread. The op there has done tons of analysis and has recommendations for Godzilla.

^^^This. I followed this precisely and oh what a difference. While the speakers are definite improvements, for me the biggest impact comes with adding an external subwoofer. It really makes it sound like the big boy is stomping around, especially during the bonus tally at the end of a ball. If you have a shaker motor (which, IMHO is a must), then you'll have a total immersive experience.

1 week later
#20288 1 year ago

On vacation in California. Walking on Hollywood Boulevard and saw this:

IMG_20230413_115618567_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20230413_115618567_HDR (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#20709 11 months ago
Quoted from Soltic:

Nigel Tufnel is that you?
[quoted image]

That's exactly what I was thinking! Really, at 6 feet, you could drive a truck through that gap!

2 weeks later
#20973 11 months ago

OK so I experienced something rather strange, and I thought I would post it here to see if anyone else has seen the same behavior.

I recently visited with a friend who was proudly showing off her new GZPre to me (along with her other acquisitions: LZPre, EHOHPre, and JJP"s GnR), so I thought that I would take a spin on it (I own one as well). After a few moments of play, I noticed something was off in that the opto at the building entrance was not firing (couldn't start a Destruction Jackpot, nor Oxygen Destroyer, despite several clean shots). I popped up the playfield and was able to determine after troubleshooting that the receiver opto (the left one) was stuck in the "open" position; I put my finger across, a ball, etc. and no dice. I took off the working opto from the building VUK and switched them and was able to confirm the faulty opto. She contacted Stern, and they quickly sent out another. A week later, I returned to install it for her, tested it OK, and everything was fine.

Now yesterday (2 days later), she reports to me that the same thing is happening once again. I had her go into switch test, close the coin door, and sure enough, nothing doing, so it looks like another dead opto.

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps there might be a voltage issue here? Has anyone encountered anything like this before?

#21112 11 months ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Joined the club today with a Premium
Had a hickup due to a short in a GI-socket but thats been taken care off
Now, I know I want some translucent rubbers and red flipperbands. But, the black post-sleeves, any recommendations? Red, Grey, black?
Also gonna install a playfield protector and yellow convolux. Saw this once and liked it quite a lot
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome, and welcome to the club!

I have the transparent bands, red slings, and I went with green post sleeves on mine.

2 weeks later
#21915 10 months ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Mine worked fine for months and then it started having this issue as well.
I talked to stern, they had me try several things and no e of it worked. They even sent me a new sensor board for mecha, no help.
Adjusting the setting mentioned in this post fixed my issue instantly.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/240#post-7000243

Quoted from Animal:

That fixed it! Thank you!! Gots to love Pinside!!!!

Quoted from bloodonthepins:

I also had this problem, and it got so bad I had just deactivated the mecha shield for months because Stern couldn't figure it out.
The fix that ZoraShinoda has just shared is what solved my problem as well.

Might be a good idea to mark that as a key post.

#21990 10 months ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I’m on that list too

Ditto here. GZPre, AlienLV, TBL in the span of a few months. I'm officially toast.

#22037 10 months ago

Absolutely tremendous! It is a solidly built machine that is fun to play (I find myself laughing a lot). Only thing that I had to do to it was adjust a couple of target switches that were closed, and it has been playing flawlessly since (although I've only had it for a week now). I waited 16 months for it to arrive; was it worth the wait and the price? That would be a matter of opinion, but for me, the answer is a resounding yes.

Better than GZ? I'm not going there. In my mind, that would be like comparing apples and oranges. Two totally different pins that I enjoy a great deal.

#22062 10 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How the code? Still buggy and incomplete? Haven’t looked into TBL in forever.

I won't go into a lot of detail here (this is a GZ thread, after all!), but it is much improved ever since it went to 1.00. It is currently at 1.13, and it is very engaging and solid.

#22188 10 months ago
Quoted from smoore3:

Found my issue, this was interesting. A nut from the upper playfield had come off, and had fallen down into the sling resting against the leaf. Couldn't see it down in there with the plastic on. Was probably enough to pinch the leaf together, but yet vibrate where it would cause the sling to fire often, but not quite constant machine gun effect. That explains why the machine was flawless, and then literally overnight went to unplayable with that sling.[quoted image]

Wow; nice catch!

Glad you got it figured out!

#22402 10 months ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Has anyone found a good fix for the ball getting stuck at the top of the upper loop behind the building. There is almost nothing you can do to get it out once stuck other than remove the glass.

This is what I did when I was having that same problem. I did this 6 months ago, and it's been fine ever since. Maybe it will help you:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/352#post-7299608

2 weeks later
1 week later
#23002 9 months ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Do the bridge mod before you crack your plastic over the captive ball.

^^^This. I played 3 games on mine when I got it, and the plastic already had a notch from the bridge hitting it. Do the washer fix or just put a cabinet bumper there and you'll be good to go.

#23026 9 months ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Just helped my buddy set up his new premium. Shouldn’t there be a switch plate on both sides of the cabinet?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Well, yes and no.

For some reason, Stern stopped putting those centering plates in the cabinets, saying they weren't needed any longer. Then when people started to complain about erratic plunges, some reported that their playfields weren't centered and had some play left and right. Soon after on later runs of GZ, they quietly started putting them back in again.

Perhaps you have one of the new hybrid versions?

Seriously, your photo shows holes there, so it should be there. I'm sure you already checked inside your cabinet for the missing one, so getting in touch with Stern would be in order, or you can get one from Marco or PinballLife; they're not terribly expensive.

1 week later
#23258 9 months ago
Quoted from tedwasright:

Speaking of toppers... Hey, I got a new topper for my Gorgar!!!
[quoted image]

Looks a lot like the topper I have for my TBL!

20230609_121811 (resized).jpg20230609_121811 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#23767 8 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

If you search this thread, you’ll find a post of someone taking a video of fixing the bridge hitting the plastic by putting a small washer or two in the coil sleeve. Then you can get that plastic and not worry about it because you’ve shortened the amount the bridge travels so it doesn’t hit the plastic anymore. Even the modified Stern plastic would chip, so the washer fix is necessary no matter what.

You can also place a cabinet door bumper where the bridge would hit the plastic if you don't want to fiddle with the coil and get the same results.

1 month later
#24470 6 months ago
Quoted from mark532011:

What does it take to unlock the locked kaiju battles?
I beat Gigan and then went to New York but all the battles on the right side were still locked.

When you get to another city, you need to play another Tier 1 kaiju before a Tier 2 will unlock.

4 weeks later
#24754 5 months ago
Quoted from Baggerman:

Question please. Is there anything else to do when you replace the dongle or is it really just remove 1 and add in the new? Never did this before, so just verifying.

Nope; just plug-and-play.

#24801 5 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I personally do not think a subwoofer is necessary for Godzilla. The only need would be to crank up Blue Oyster Cult song that last a minute or two. Now I will say Godzilla screams for a shaker and it is really well integrated. If you are looking to improve sound may do the Kenwoods and a internal pinwoofer. May try adjusting levels in adjustments menu-you may be surprised on the levels you can achieve with stock speakers, etc. -Save the subwoofer for a game that screams for it.

I have to respectfully disagree. I hooked up my GZ to an external subwoofer and it added a good amount of depth. Now when Godzilla is stomping around Tokyo you can not only feel it with the shaker but hear it with the subwoofer.

#24814 5 months ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

...does invisiglass really make such a big difference it’s so expensive any feedback would appreciate it

What I do on games without Invisiglass is to set the backbox lighting to dim down to 2% when the game starts. Cheapest mod there is.

#24827 5 months ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Are monster zero and Terror of mech Godzilla just activated super jackpot in building main multi ball mode and mecha Godzilla multi bal mode ?
What are the super jacks for these modes is this correct ?
Just wanted rules clarity thank you
Also are pinball life shakers just as good as the sterns ?
My GZ has a stern one but they are all sold out so alll that’s left is PBL

Regarding shakers, PBL are fine. I have one in my GZ and it's rock solid.

1 week later
#25023 5 months ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Ouch! This guy is gonna take a hit.
[quoted image]

Free shipping, though...

1 week later
#25169 4 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok building hit opto... Sw52, not registering. Red LED never extinguishes when beam blocked. Could the transmitter be the problem, or could it be either reciever or transmitter? If red LED is lit, can the opto still be bad and so we never see the LED extinguish? We think the opto was possibly going bad as the locks were not acting right and we ended up with a lot of building shots getting lost and the ball getting popped to the top for lock but machine never registers the last lock shot. Even though it popped it to the building top for the lock, because it clears the VUK as it moves the building for a ball search, it ends up with three locked balls but has no idea so it drops trousers and the building but doesnt start multiball.
Also, my building vibrates horribly in the down direction, the balls start chatterring in their locked positions as the building falls, and it feels like I have a shaker installed when it goes into Godzilla Multiball, shaking the whole machine as the building chatters all the way down. This is NOT NORMAL. Any one run into a quick fix for this? I searched the forums and the only solution I saw was a replacement building by Stern that had a different mounting for the NEMA stepper motor. The replacement they sent in that case looks the same as latest one
in this NIB machine, so that doesnt seem to be the issue, but damn does it vibrate.
I would not be surprised if the vibration of the falling building may have prematurely killed Mr. Building Hit Opto, the vibrations are that severe.

Regarding the opto: it's quite possible that you have a bad transmitter or receiver. A friend had this exact same problem shortly after unboxing, and I was able to determine that the opto was the reason. Let Stern know, and they'll send you replacements (they recommend replacing both transmitter and receiver).

Regarding the building: I had this exact problem on my NIB GZ. If you lift your playfield, you should see that your goody bag will have a small tube of green lubricant in it. Put this on the spindle and the rails, and then see if that helps. Or you can use SuperLube if you have it. My building shake eventually disappeared after about a month or so, so it's possible that there is a breaking in period.

2 weeks later
#25528 4 months ago
Quoted from mjenison:

Decided to lift the playfield to checkout the connections in the cabinet. I just assumed the playfield slide mechanism was similar to Williams so gave the playfield a good jerk expecting it to lock in so I could rotate it up, but instead nearly pulled the playfield out of the cabinet and it came crashing down on the lockbar area. Fortunately, doesn't appear anything was broken, regardless of the crunching sound I heard. What a terrible playfield slide setup.

You might want to check the bottom of your cabinet and see if there is any damage to the speaker there; ask me how I would know...

If so, it's not a big deal, though. An exact replacement would not be expensive, and there are several better alternatives anyway.

#25569 4 months ago
Quoted from avspin:

I just installed a Stern topper and the three led panels behind the buildings all light but only dimly. The don't go bright flashes or the fire effect. Same result in LED tests on 306, 307 & 308. All others work fine. I've contacted Stern and waiting for a response after sending a video they asked for. Before I hear back tomorrow from them, I'm thinking the connector inside might be loose. Has anyone experienced this or opened up a topper before?

I just heard from a friend who received her topper today, and half of the LEDs don't light. She spoke with Pablo and he's sending her another one (while she'll need to send back the defective one).

#25691 4 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They are charging what the market will pay. Simple as that. People that think it’s a total BS rip off are buying it.

^^^This. I remember a few years back when they put out the topper for The Beatles; it was priced at $399, which I thought was a lot at the time. When I finally got my machine, I was ready to buy a topper for it; the price had gone up dramatically by then, but I managed to find one for $900; how's that for a nice mark up? Today, these are upwards of $2000, if you can find one.

I think Stern saw what toppers were getting on the secondary market and realized that they were leaving quite a bit of money on the table, and raised their prices accordingly to reflect the market. If people are OK with paying over $1000 for some plastic and lights, why not charge it?

Just my $2.00 (2 cents, adjusted for inflation and market price)...

#25818 3 months ago

Grinding away for the badges. It's slow going, but I'm playing with a handicap...
IMG_20231222_094053211 (resized).jpgIMG_20231222_094053211 (resized).jpgIMG_20231222_094118655 (resized).jpgIMG_20231222_094118655 (resized).jpg

Either that or it's the new "Godzilla vs. Beanie the Cat" mode.

#25900 3 months ago
Quoted from John_C:

Also, I would like to replace the big red dome that's behind Mechagodzilla with one of a different color. Can anyone point me to a source for these large plastic domes?

I think this is what you're looking for:

https://www.pinballlife.com/plastic-light-domes-with-screw-tabs.html

#26042 3 months ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

I checked, and as of this morning, there were 99 who had gotten the GODZILLA badge... Hoping #100 posts here!

I was 26

#26105 3 months ago

#38 right behind you...
Screenshot_20231231-000326 (resized).pngScreenshot_20231231-000326 (resized).png

1 week later
#26292 3 months ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

... I replaced with a DB5.

One would think that one would be for James Bond, but I digress...

#26361 3 months ago

Here's what I did to correct that flat area. It's somewhat involved, but it has been rock-solid ever since. No more stuck balls:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/352#post-7299608

1 week later
#26590 83 days ago
Quoted from lockeness:

Put a small piece of paper towel/tissue on the fan and when it disappears/blows away, you know you are good.

^^^This. Sometimes after the install, it will take what seems like forever to start up (like watching for a pot of water to start boiling). Make certain that the fan orientation is correctly blowing the air up and out, put the tissue over the hole, and then go off and do something else while the machine warms up. When you come back and see that the paper is missing, all is well.

That reminds me; I have to get to my workbench and make a new fan for a friend's Iron Maiden...

4 weeks later
#26907 53 days ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Are rhey using up stock hoping at least one set works?

I can't be certain, but I think this was Stern's approach with regard to the coil stops at least.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 125.88
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ChainsawMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
16,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scotty_K.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club?tu=Scotty_K and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.