PXL_20240415_201849415 (resized).jpg
IMG_2601 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2538 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1444 (resized).jpg
IMG_7006.jpg
gdz opto receiver (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1374 Removing the ugly Insider sticker on the backbox. Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1795 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Magnet swing adjustments Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #3000 Register Your Game With Insider Connected Posted by TrixTrix (2 years ago)

Post #3546 TECH:LIGHTING. Backbox brightness adjustment PSA Posted by Chisox (2 years ago)

Post #4481 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Building stepper adjustment settings Posted by Palmer (2 years ago)

Post #6364 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bridge and Building adjustments Posted by koops (2 years ago)

Post #6745 MOD: Flame Speaker light kit Posted by DugFreez (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

517 posts in this topic match your search for posts by PinMonk. You are on page 1 of 3.
#350 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

The Ugly:
- Magnet heat. When my brother and I got there, someone was already playing. We tripled up, and played a couple more games. During our gameplay, the magnet started holding weakly, and then not holding at all. We left the game alone for a bit to let it cool down. When we came back after about 15~20 mins, the first game it worked normally, but subsequent games had the same behavior. Hoping that they can solve this with code, as there were several grabs where I felt it held the ball wayyyy too long, just to show an animation/clip. Other knock was you couldn't hit both flippers to cancel, so that could be coded in to help reduce magnet time.

Since Spike can do microsecond pulse duty cycles (Spooky, JJP, American, Multimorphic are stuck with 1 ms as their minimum pulse) I think Stern can make it better with code improvements to the magnet duty cycle their hardware allows, but it will likely always be an issue to some degree with long play games.

I'm already working on a bracket that will plug into the Tibetan Breeze flipper cooling kit to also cool the magnet. The Godzilla-specific kit will be 3 flippers with an optional magnet bracket (you can also use an existing Tibetan Breeze kit and get the 3rd bracket option separately). Hoping to have the Godzilla one and the magnet bracket out in about a week.

#351 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I know Neil really wants that picture...
[quoted image]

So, just using a $15-20 Raspberry Pi Wifi dongle. That's some markup.

#352 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

This. I get made fun of by my pin friends for bringing this up, but it really screams laziness to me from a design standpoint. You get a few things like the Jackpot that shows up on Godzilla MB and it looks great, then everything goes back to Arial Bold that barely takes up 1/25 of the screen. Make things big and readable. Give it some style, it deserves it! At the very least, match the fonts that are on the playfield!

I don't think Stern is really set up to handle custom font work well. They messed up the kerning on Deadpool and it was screwed up for like a YEAR until they finally fixed it. It's not rocket science. Once you get your tool made it can spit out custom kerning tables for pretty much any font you want to dream up. Someone at Stern just has to WANT to.

#355 2 years ago
Quoted from Blindseer:

app development, art, qr code reader, having to give everyone a raise, potato potatoe *shrug*

Perspective.

The app's pretty basic. Being super-generous, let's say it was $100k to develop. That's about $30/machine, fully amortized by the time Godzilla is done. So we're at about $50/machine with the app and wifi dongle. Dunno what they're using for QR reading, but would not be surprised if it was a basic webcam because QR codes are not complicated so a low res webcam is fine. Those Chinese "door lock" QR code readers would also do the job (see example below that looks a lot like what Stern's using in the videos). Whichever case, about $10 in quantity. So $60/machine.

No idea what art you're talking about that was any significant cost. Payroll raises are completely untethered from the online system.

There's also server fees for the data management of the system, but again, those are not crazy if they're using AWS and managing it themselves, and I'm sure the upcoming OP fees will more than cover it.
QR-door-lock-reader (resized).jpgQR-door-lock-reader (resized).jpg

#359 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Never thought I'd be having a discussion about proper font kerning on Pinside, but here we are.....
Just wondering how we can persuade someone at Stern "to WANT to", because after all....[quoted image][quoted image]

I tried to always have a font that matched the content of games I worked on, so I am intimately familiar with kerning tables. When I see monospaced text in some crap localization, it drives me bananas. Unfortunately, it's pretty common, still.

But yeah, if someone at Stern went all Steve Jobs and got onto fonts they could pretty quickly have some sweet tools to handle this stuff painlessly moving forward and get very legible theme-specific fonts on their pins. Wouldn't even have to drop acid first.

#362 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Sure AWS makes hosting like paying a credit card bill - but doesn't mean those services automatically configure and run themselves.. nor support it. That's Operational manpower you have to add now, either in-house or contracted. That's ongoing cost, on top of your cheap servers.
Then your app was never a one-time thing, it's a product you built, delivered 1.0, and now have to not just support, but continue to develop. This isn't a one developer sized task. So again, this is ongoing cost you will incur, in addition to your initial contracting or investing in building the app. Something that you would either contract out or hire people to do.
The QR reader isn't just the reader - but the Stern-specific node board they designed and implemented for the system. Plus the platform work put into the game... then going back and adding new content to 17 titles. Even just touching 17 releases is expensive timewise, let alone the actual feature development put into each one.
Just because you have some capacity of people on payroll doesn't mean costs are disassociated from functionality. Time is money - and time implementing this is time not spent elsewhere and capacity that likely didn't exist before... so is more than likely increasing your recurring payroll.
Any system that will be a foundation for other work and requires continually being updated to just operate in the continuously changing world of devices and services will represent a significant investment in initial time, capital, and ongoing costs too. And programmers aren't cheap.

Okay, forget about one-time amortization. The AWS management will be *extremely* basic since the kind of data it's tracking is not complicated (even if they add operator error and revenue tracking - for an additional fee). If Stern's doing 3 games a year, you have a generous $300k to keep the pretty basic app fresh, and that's still about $50/a machine on a rolling amortization per year. Haven't seen the node board, so I can't comment on that, but I would be shocked if it adds $30/machine in quantity. How complicated does it need to be? Power and a USB or serial interface and that's it. Spitballing components and development, only about 20% of that price hike is actual costs.

#363 2 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

I am curious if Stern will try to use connected as a payment system. i.e. buy credits on your phone, add credits to a machine by scanning a qrcode or via Internet push. Stern pays operator and takes a cut. Similar to payrange, but using the QR reader, or possibly just talking to the machine directly if they are connected to the Internet... similar to how the TouchTunes jukeboxes work. There's a few different ways they could work out the security concerns of someone commandeering your qr code(s). Earning additional credits by completing challenges/tasks would be an interesting reward system.

I'm POSITIVE something like that has to be in the works. It's too lucrative not to be, and the hardware is now included with every machine they sell.

#367 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You keep suggesting AWS somehow makes their product self running? AWS is just a platform and set of tools. It's not sentient. It still takes Ops to monitor, update, do pushes, plan for the future, etc. They aren't going to give that task to the existing guy running cable and fixing the printers. This is a service that will require ongoing support and upkeep -- let alone their ongoing feature development. Both the backend and front-end need ongoing TLC just to stay safe and operational. They are either going to expand their staff capacity to support this or contract it out and pay for it.
Then eventually someone will want to spend time making this platform useful for both internal and external parties... so you'll get some basic data analyst, and maybe some business dev type trying to advance all those great 'possibilities' stern outlined. It's also something Stern will want to keep expanding, so you'll have development time spent on that. Stern already does a ton of work in house, so eventually you would probably bring that work in house even if you contracted it out to boot strap it for launch.
This is going to represent a significant ongoing opex for Stern to operate and advance. Opex that obviously needs to be supported with sales or service fees.

I'm just talking about the bump we got in retail vs the cost of that network/online bump. And analyzing what we got vs the sizable price jump, it's hard to see the size of the bump as much less than an opportunistic money grab because Stern knew people would excuse it due to the pandemic and "new hardware" (even if that new hardware is essentially pretty cheap).

Moving forward, when those features are added for ops or tournament players or other monetizing, I guarantee that Stern will have those costs covered 5 fold by fees to access those advanced services.

#371 2 years ago
Quoted from Blindseer:

I dont get your argument.

This Aint For You.gifThis Aint For You.gif
#400 2 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Wow that Premium translight looks amazing.

I wish they had kept the Japanese like the Pro. Weird they took it off for the Prem and LE...

#403 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I think the Premium one is killer, with Ghidorahs wings spread out, he has one of its heads in his hand -

The art IS cool, I just think it's weird that the Pro is the only art package with the Japanese katakana characters for Godzilla on it. It's kind of part and parcel with the whole Godzilla vibe. Why remove it for the Premium and LE art packages?

#415 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Not really. For example, WCS94 has a small magnet which diverts ball trajectory on a ramp.
Rob

Austin powers, too.

#420 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

I thought my distributor said the same thing. Are they really not drop shipping all of these from Stern? That is insane if they are not.

Maybe an attempt by Stern to keep distributors selling in their territories? More expensive if they have to ship cross country. Whatever it is, it's dumb and not eco-friendly. Think of the excess fuel and CO2 for that nonsense.

#449 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Not for me. The extra spinner has way more appeal and longevity than toys and a sinking building. That usually gets old real fast, not too mention affecting the flow.

Funny you mention flow. The sinking building changes the ball paths, and hence the flow at each "stage". Pretty cool evolution of the Dr. Who Time Expander mech, IMO.

#461 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Ok, but I'd rather go with out it, once again its great to have the option but also once again u get pretentious pinball douchebags that can't believe anyone could be ok with or even prefer the Pro version. I've watched streams of both and prefer the Pro.

Yeah, I hate those pretentious pinball douchebags that watch streams and decide which plays better.

Seriously, though. There are situations where a Pro is ok. Iron Maiden is one example. Both are very good, and the Pro plays differently, so either is a great choice. TWD I would give the edge to the Pro. That crossbow sucked as the frickin' laser beam in Austin Powers and it still sucks in TWD. If it were gone TWD Prem/LE would be objectively better. It DOES happen that Pros can be the best version, just not super often. The Prem/LE is usually the better player experience. But you really need hands on both to make that decision in any kind of credible fashion.

#463 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I can decide from a stream, I knew right away I didn't want the hyper loop thing in SW Pre/Le. same goes for JP and the extras and BKSOR and yeah I had a Maiden Pre then sold and got a Pro, much preferred the flow of that version. What I'm trying to say is I'm a pretentious pinball douchebag.

Any practitioner of the first Delphic maxim can't be bad.

Redemption.

#482 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Lol. Is mom proud of the guy wanting to scam Stern or the one calling it out, here? Weird digs.

#542 2 years ago

I've taken baseline temps for the magnet in 0.77 before code was updated to 0.79 because the magnet handling is supposed to have changed, and this will be a good way to see if it improved the temps and by how much. The magnet does get pretty hot. 166F in 60 minutes of play, with no end in sight, so I could see it breaking 200F in another hour.

I'll try it again after an update to 0.79 and see where it's at, but this is what it looks like now...

An add-on for Spike Tibetan Breeze kits to cool the magnet is underway.

godzilla-temps sml v.77 (resized).jpggodzilla-temps sml v.77 (resized).jpg
L Probe/R Probe is because I'm tracking temps on opposite sides of the same magnet coil.

#543 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Lots of reports of Stern no longer drop shipping. Seems awfully wasteful.

Stern's like "Eco friendly? We don't care about no ENVIRONMENT!"

#547 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Way too hot. Have you hooked a fan up to it yet before you update the code to see if you can get a stable temp? Curious to see the results of all the test runs you perform.

No, I do the fan tests after I have the baseline tests done. But given the experience with flipper coil testing/cooling I would be surprised if once cooled these get over 120F, and would hope I could keep them in the 100-110F range. The only challenge is I have to direct the airflow two ways to cool around both sides of the larger, flatter coil area of the magnet, but I think I have that worked out.

#548 2 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

I’m guessing at least a 15% reduction in temps overall on .79 code.

Anything's better than nothing, but I'm hoping for more. 15% on 200F is still 170F, which is crazy. That said, I prefer the more aggressive ball grabs and holds, so I hope that isn't dialed back too much, especially since a cooling option will make the magnet fully functional at full power basically as long as you want to play.

#551 2 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

From my experience it seems like .79 is much better. I’ve got mine on location and I had magnet issues before this latest update.
All good now.
Using .76 as the baseline seems a little misleading since the magnet behavior in .79 is probably what people will experience. I get that .76 will probably show the effects of the fan the most though.

.77 is the baseline only so I have a before/after comparison to see what kind of improvement the magnet handling changes made. .79 stock will be tested and posted next, then I'll do .79 with active cooling.

#554 2 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I imagine prem/le owners won’t have an issue since it’s physically locking the balls instead of holding them with the magnet like the pro use to do

Yeah, those lengthy ball holds you can watch the temps go up on a pro.

#576 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Really making me considering a pro. Love the mods!!

I'm interested in trying the Prem/LE now, but the Pro is a flow monster. Really fun to shoot and flowy combo chains all over the place. I can't imagine people being disappointed with the way it shoots. Very fun.

#601 2 years ago
Quoted from GroggyFrogFace:

New firmware just dropped... v0.80

Direct link:
https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/gamecode/godzilla_pro-0_80_0.spk.zip

PRO:
V0.80.0 - October 21st, 2021
============================
- Godzilla Magnet - optimize magnet firing parameters
- Godzilla Magnet - fixed an issue where disabling the Godzilla Magnet by adjustment would not completely disable the magnet
- All Modes - made improvements to mode shot flashing arrow priorities
- Cities - Paris background city has been updated
- Cities - New York background city has been updated
- Building Damage - adding white arrows to indicate when shots will damage the Building
- Building Damage - default difficulty will now allow Building to be damaged on upper floors from Building Bash
- Building Damage - adding shaker motor when building is damaged
- Bridge Attack - adding shaker motor when bridge is damaged
- Powerline Attack - fixed an issue when Powerline Attack is started it would flash the Shoot Again lamps creating the illusion of a ball saver active
- Powerlines - fixed an issue where the Action Button would light up when completing sets of targets
- Destruction Jackpot - adding shaker motor when Destruction Jackpot is awarded
- Heat Ray - added a delay between button press and Heat Ray % animation start
- Tier 2 Battle Modes - added light shows and shaker effects to card intro animation
- Monster Rampage - increasing scoring for each Rampage letter collected and showing awarded score value on display
- Bonus - adding "Total Bonus" to the final screen on the end of ball bonus countup
- Score Frame - allow the score frame to be visible during Godzilla intro if a new player is added
- Light Shows - adding more light shows to the game
- Insider Connected - fixed an issue where sometimes player names would not be correct in the Score Frame

- Adjustment Changes:

- none

- System - Updated to V2.92.0 on OS: v2.3.0

- Address Insider Connected game registration corner cases.

PREM/LE Specific:
- Bridge Attack - when Bridge is destroyed and multiball is lit the Bridge mech does a destruction animation
- Bridge Attack Multiball - fixed an issue where mode could not be started if the Building Stepper was disabled
- Super Train Loops - now diverts the ball after 5 consecutive Left Ramps

#602 2 years ago
Quoted from GroggyFrogFace:

New firmware just dropped... v0.80

More magnet tweaking in 0.80 according to the readme.

0.79 cut temps about 20% compared to 0.77, but at the cost of a much less grabby magnet. In the 2 hour test I had many instances where magna grab just didn't grab. The ball has to be moving much more slowly for it to catch it in 0.79 compared to 0.77.

Hopefully the fine-tuning of 0.80 fixes that.

Looks like flipper coil temps will be in the range of TMNT/Led Zeppelin/Mandalorian, so only mild fade after long sessions.

#610 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Were you able to make it without adjusting flipper power? Makes me wonder if its intended to be hit from the upper flipper at all if you have to mess with the settings.

I've made it with stock power, but it would be MUCH more common with just a couple bumps more power. The upper flipper is kind of a wimpy coil to begin with, and then the power's not high. Bonus is, it doesn't get hot very fast at all.

#636 2 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Two questions, in anticipating of the forthcoming LE...
1) I'm going through the LE manual. I'm not seeing anything regarding shaker motor function (enable. disable, etc.) in the standard adjustments menu... Is functionality something that one could expect to modify? (This will be my first shaker motor)
2) I'm seeing references to headphone detection. Does the LE come with headphone jack/functionality already installed? (Couldn't find a diagram of the coin door in the manual) Edit: Looking at pre-release photos of the LE front, I'm guessing not, as I don't see a headphone jack anywhere...

There's a setting on the system menu where you choose the amount of shaking. I believe it's set to maximal from the factory.

Stern has a kit to add a headphone jack to the front coin door. I don't think it's included with the LEs.

Official kit is here:
https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/stern-headphone-jack-kit-for-spike-1-system-games

Much less expensive 3rd party kit here:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-2-headphone-jack-assembly.html

#649 2 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

My only critique on this game is lessen the use of the magnet grab. It got annoying activating every time you shoot through the building. And also need to lessen the magnet time before collecting destruction bonuses. Again, it really holds up the game.
[quoted image]

This game has a lot of breaks programmed into it and actually it helps keep the flipper temps from getting too far out of control.

I'm fine with the magnet grabs, and actually preferred the more aggressive grabs of 0.77.

#656 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

This was my first reaction watching the reveal. Surprised me and was disappointed because looked much slower than maiden or jp. However, only comments I've seen since are very positive about it, so I figured (and hoped) it actually feels better in person than looks on screen.

It feels good to me, but it's not as fast as others mentioned because it's a incline ramp on the back side. The ball is gaining elevation as it comes around, jumping over the center part in back and coming back to playfield level as it returns to the upper left flipper. That elevation rise and jump costs a little speed.

The incline also will make a poor shot roll back out as it fails to make it up the slight incline to the jump.

#659 2 years ago
Quoted from Gambeno:

As I wait for my Pro, I wonder how hard it will be to get some lights in that building? when I see gameplay online, that building is super dark.

Dead simple. The facade just screws off and there's plenty of room in there for lighting.

I personally think that some uplighting on the front of the building might be aesthetically pleasing, but the damage indicator insert lighting on the playfield could probably be mirrored into the building to light up the windows as the damage increases. Definitely a lot of possibilities to improve this area on a Pro.

Godzilla_Pro building (resized).jpgGodzilla_Pro building (resized).jpg

#684 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You jumped the gun on us just a bit. Here's our version of lighting up the building. We didn't tie it to the damage indicators as you have to do a lot of repining and wiring and to be honest there isn't a lot of room to feed wires down without doing some drilling. We took a simpler path that I think is pretty effective by lighting the building inside using the building spotlight flasher, which is so far away its pretty much useless. Now the building will light and flash whenever the spotlight flasher is active. We used ice blue for this one, but I think cool or even warm white would work fine too. The two flashers in the back of the game use cool white so the ice blue gives some contrast. I think it will only work on the pro, but not really sure what’s inside the prem/le version.
[quoted image]

I have no interest in doing building lighting mods, I was just posting a pic for the person wondering about the possibilities. I also think an uplighting mod (maybe two segments of tiny hedges to hide a couple LED strips?) for the front of the building would look nice.

#685 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Definitely not like my Mandalorian or AIQ or any other Stern I own. Look at the deadflip stream and you can see that especially the upper flipper seems sluggish. Probably a default setting or something minor but noticeable.

The upper flipper is a smallish coil and turned down (too far, IMO) in the settings. You can turn it up a bit and it feels better. There's a lot of overhead available since it doesn't get that hot at all because it's very conservatively powered.

#687 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

That makes sense. Thanks for looking into it.

You're not crazy. The first thing I noticed was the upper flipper felt off. Once I looked at the coil and settings it was clear why. Fortunately there's plenty of overhead to make it feel a bit stronger by just turning up the power a bit.

The default Pro power settings on v0.80 are Right 230, Left 220, Upper 160.

#695 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

So just noticed this--looks like I got a prem speaker panel? Anyone else have a panel like this on their LE? How about your sub?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

When it lights up, do you see the red ring through the foam? If so, someone just put the Prem/Pro foam in there and covered up the LE speaker with the thin foam piece that isn't supposed to be there. On the back side, what brand are the speaker panel speakers? The LE ones are different. That would be another way to tell.

#702 2 years ago

Yeah it looks like you just got an entire Pro speaker panel with all the fixins.

Your cabinet speaker, however, is not like the Pro so it may be correct.

#744 2 years ago
Quoted from beltking:

They likely just put the foam in front by accident. Take apart and remove the foam to see if you see the ring.

Speakers are wrong, too.

#755 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Same with that fan that makes noise which I thought would be fixed by now but no luck.

Haha, no kidding. EVERY pin I bring in to mod I tell myself I won't replace the power supply fan because the pin's going away when I'm done, but literally day one every time I change the fan out because I cannot stand that high whine with the terrible fan they use. Gomez says a better/quieter power supply is coming, but...when?? It's been more than a year now.

#809 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So has anyone replaced stern pro or premium speakers with the LE/updated ones? Anything that is plug and play Bc I’m thinking about swapping out some of my non LE sterns as the sound on this LE is very good
And I use psw10 sub for all my games.

I replaced the speakers AND put a small amp (the on board one is kind of wimpy) in an Iron Maiden Premium. Also ordered the parts to put the LE-style ring kit in it. It sounded GREAT. Note that the post spacing on the speaker plates is different on the LE with the larger speaker, so at the very least you need the LE-style speaker plate adapter to use larger speakers.

Here's where I talk about the installation and the parts you need (with part numbers):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-on-board-amp-with-external-amp-for-iron-maiden

#813 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

thanks.
If I don't want to add an amp, am I able to just buy these and the other three items PB life recommends and be OK? Is it hard to just hook these speakers up?
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-le-speaker-set-5-14-4-ohm.html

Yeah, you should be fine with the speakers and correct adapter plates, etc for the larger speakers.

Unless the PBL speakers come with the molex pigtail installed on the speakers you will need to solder, though.

#826 2 years ago
Quoted from Lateralus:

If I buy an aftermarket speaker system for the Premium, would it be comparable to the LE speaker upgrade? It's a great game, but not sure I want to drop the $14k for a LE that I see FS here. I'm sure someone else would appreciate a LE more than me.

The amp on the Spike board is the same, so buying better speakers (and the adapter plate to make the larger 5.25" speakers fit) will make your Prem sound as good or better than an LE.

Pinball Life sells the Stern LE speakers with links to the adapters, etc you need on the same page:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-le-speaker-set-5-14-4-ohm.html

But you can just buy the adapters, etc and spend more to buy better speakers. Also, don't forget to upgrade the speaker in the cabinet, too. The Pro/Prem is a cheaper cab speaker than the LE.

Ebay has the Goldwood 8024 I think is the same as the Goldwood 208/4 ones in the LEs (for $20):
ebay.com link: itm

#916 2 years ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

I have been thinking about jumping into the mod scene to fix this issue. Would anybody be interested in a Toho style Kong for the spot Godzilla is in now?

Might as well make a Freddy and Jason to put in there while you're at it.

#921 2 years ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

Is this really a no Kong zone? The 3 most important films in the Godzilla cannon are the original film, Godzilla vs Kong, and Godzilla vs Megalon.

I'm no godzilla expert, but the eras are mixed up, though. This machine seems like it's heavily focused on the late 60s early 70s Godzilla. Also, scale would be an issue. The 1963 GvK just looks wrong. King Kong is essentially the size of Godzilla. It deprecates Godzilla's size, IMO.

Seems like a bad fit, but people can do whatever they want on their machine. It's for their happiness, not mine.

#928 2 years ago

So did Stern upgrade the ground wire for the DBV lead going to the coin door on Godzilla, or is it my imagination? The new striped one looks a lot beefier. Maybe a UL listing compliance change for the 120V to the coin door? It seems like the old one was like 22AWG and the new one is like 18AWG...

#947 2 years ago
Quoted from Bam_Man:

Does Stern produce the premiums last? I'm seeing all these pros and LEs being posted, I just want my premium!

I think in general the order is:
Small Pro run (for locations/dealers mostly) -> LE Run -> Prem Run -> wider Pro run. Maybe some small deviations for a show, etc (like Expo-bound premiums that were on the line).

#976 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Hello, does mylar ever pull up the ink of the PF or become discolored like I’ve seen with very old mylar?

Because there's clear over the art on modern playfields, unlikely. Although if you have a crappy Mirco playfield it *could* pull up the clear and maybe art with it. There's a number of videos out there where Mirco clear is just coming off in chunks, but that's more a Mirco problem than a mylar issue. Unlikely to happen on Sterns.

#1010 2 years ago
Quoted from DHudec:

Unboxed LE #918 yesterday- game looks and shoots great. Having an issue where the building hit opto is firing constantly. Just pressing the flippers will fire the building opto. Anyone else have this issue or know how i can adjust?

If it's like the Pro, there's an opto pair at the entrance to the ground floor of the building (in front of the blue rubber bumpers on each side). Likely one side or the other of the sender or receiver is off center from the hole in the lane guide and the edge of that hole is triggering the opto from vibration.

Adjust the optos until smacking the playfield with your open palm doesn't trigger them. Basically you want the sender and receiver centered in the hole of the lane guide. You should be able to adjust the bracket both the optos are mounted to from the underside of the playfield (loosen, adjust, tighten, lower PF and test), but it will be a little trial and error since you'll be doing it blind relative to centering the optos on the holes of the lane guides.

#1016 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Just arrived (late). Unpacked because it was on a flatbed through a few drizzles (w/tarp) so wanted to check for moisture. Haven’t plugged in because I’d be up all night, but should be a good weekend!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks beautiful. I still can't for the life of me understand why they only included the Japanese katakana for Godzilla below the name on the Pro and left it off the Prem/LE. It's integral to the theme.

Stern is such a mystery sometimes...

#1055 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I’m not a great player because sometimes my left hand doesn’t do what I tell it to do

Wait, back this up. Is that like delayed signal to your hand, or your hand refuses and has its own ideas/social life, like alien-hand syndrome?

#1056 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

Selecting cities, selecting Kaiju battles, using the heat-ray, and the Anguirus ally add-a-ball.

Also set up to start the game from the factory. I hate that function (although it's GREAT for location), so I changed it immediately.

#1076 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Lol. He set a bear trap for you here. He’s talked about his issues after brain surgery for a tumor.

No, I know about the brain surgery stuff. I'm just wondering if it slowed down his responses or gave him Alien Hand syndrome where the hand gets a mind of its own.

#1079 2 years ago
Quoted from apessino:

Yes, very good point... it does not seem as punishing as JP or (especially) AIQ. It feels like it rewards skill and penalizes mistakes without feeling unfair or just "drainy" - it's all really well balanced, especially compared to Elwin's previous efforts IMHO.

wargames_its_learning.gifwargames_its_learning.gif
#1083 2 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

#827 picked up last night at expo.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are those LE badges plastic now? I don't see any metal showing through...

#1109 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Another thing that needs to be updated in the next code.
The magna grab holds the ball nice and tight for the destruction jackpot. It does not do that for a regular magna grab though. It wobbles around which makes it not drop to the upper flipper correctly (unless times perfectly). It should be held right just like it does during the destruction jackpot shot.

Yes. This is a negative change since 0.77. The grab was great in that rev and earlier, but .79 and .80 are much worse. I assume it's all part of the dialing in process, but it would be nice to have a menu option for how strong the magna grab is.

#1115 2 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

How were you able to get the conversion kit? I haven’t seen on Stern’s site yet.

Flip n Out has them listed:

Pro
https://www.flipnoutpinball.com/product-page/stern-insider-connected-retrofit-kit-for-pro-models
insiderkit_pro (resized).jpeginsiderkit_pro (resized).jpeg

Prem/LE
https://www.flipnoutpinball.com/product-page/stern-insider-connected-retrofit-kit-for-prem-le-models
stern_insider_kit (resized).jpegstern_insider_kit (resized).jpeg

#1139 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I’m going to use 3M sticky pads and maybe some museum putty and see if it holds well enough. I’m working through it all now. Will report back.

Quake hold museum putty becomes museum pudding over time with the heat under the glass. It WILL ooze and drip eventually. Not recommended.

#1143 2 years ago

OT: Yes exactly that, its call Alien hand syndrome mostly affects my hand but also my left arm sometimes, it is what happens when the left and right side of your brain stop communicating... you don’t recognize one side of your body.. horror movie shit and not good for your pinball game play!

Yeah, I've seen news stories on it. I knew you could get it from accidents/brain injury, but I didn't know you could get it from brain surgery. What you mentioned just sounded like it, which is why I asked. One guy that was on 60 minutes had a hand that would grab the remote and change the channel all the time. It really very visibly frustrated him. I can't imagine dealing with it in a pinball scenario, but it sounds like you're managing ok. Is there a chance it will fade as your brain heals?

#1154 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Well. Look there. This is the Bandai one that is readily available at Target right now. He’s in the back of the store with the Funko Pops, on the back wall of the electronics section. He fits like a glove.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

That works well with the game since when you're chaining that loop, you're spinning him around.

#1202 2 years ago

They kind of blew past this slide with calculations for the Godzilla Prem/LE building (weights, force needed to lift, drag, bearing load, etc), but I love this kind of stuff, so I grabbed it.
godzilla building calculations (resized).jpggodzilla building calculations (resized).jpg

#1234 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I saw that too and wanted to ask him to go back but didn't want to seem out of place and stop their cadence thanks for catching the pic I wasn't fast enough on the draw...

They'd probably lose the audience fast, but I totally wish they'd go deeper into the engineering side of things. I find it much more interesting than the software side of the development. I mean, it's PINBALL. Mechanical action is the name of the game.

Quoted from fooflighter:

Wish I would have seen you there to thank you personally for all your contributions and for emptying my wallet so many times

I appreciate the sentiment, but thank me for emptying your wallet?
animal-house-thank-you.gifanimal-house-thank-you.gif

#1244 2 years ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

My mecha ramp sits slightly higher than the playfield resulting in airballs over mechagodzilla's head and shoulders. Looking at the assembly and lock nuts, I am not sure how to adjust the leveling height. Does anyone have any tips on this? Thank you.
[quoted image]

It looks very similar to the Avengers disc setup, so adjustment should be similar/same. Here's the relevant page from the Agengers adjustment doc...

Stern_disc-adjust (resized).jpgStern_disc-adjust (resized).jpg
#1254 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

I’m curious how many others feel this way, I think Elwin's games all have amazing layouts and rules, but none thus far to me have had good mechs or a reason to buy the premium/LE.
The building diverters and bridge mech likely won't change the game's flow too much, but I'm curious how the Mechagodzilla mech works for flow/transitions off the jump ramp. On the pro its a quick, satisfying return with the spinner.

Iron Maiden Premium plays a LOT differently than the Pro. Having had both, I prefer the Premium.

JP and Avengers? Pro is fine IMO.

Godzilla? I have a Pro currently, but I think if you had a choice to make, the Prem would be worth it. That rotating jump ramp, magnetic mechazilla, bridge diverter and collapsing building are all very cool and tightly integrated to gameplay.

#1255 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Ha...I meant that in a really good way - that you have so many good quality products to offer (from the fans to the deflectors to the gels and more)...not that they are overpriced by any means lol - sorry for the confusion

I knew what you meant. Just having some fun.

Quoted from fooflighter:

P.S. I think your fans should be standard / required on any tournament games...man that new Stern line got overheated fast on tournament row...either that or just the constant banging on those machines...they took a beating

I think as more people get experience with the benefit of Tibetan Breeze kits keeping the coils cool and flippers snappy, you will start to see them bleed into tournaments. Some games need it more than others, but all can benefit from having the cooling in a tournament. It's only a matter of time, IMO. Once you've experienced the benefit, it's hard to go back.

Speaking of which - the green special launch edition kits are shipping starting tomorrow. I got backed up because a restock order of the wiring harnesses ordered months ago got held up in customs and I literally ran completely dry so I couldn't make new kits.

#1268 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Is there any transcript of the talk or anything by chance?
I'd love to hear more details.

There's a direct link to video of the session in the pinball expo thread here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-expo-2021-new-location-/page/10#post-6578460

#1285 2 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

I don't know this for sure since I didn't get my premium yet, but in the menu is there an alternative soundtrack to select like in BKSOR?
I would take a look and see if there is.

Yes there is. Default is Hybrid, which is a mix of the rock and the symphonic versions.

#1329 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The question of premium vs pro is moot if you need the game before next Summer. That’s right, if you haven’t ordered a premium and want to, you won’t be on either of the first two runs. That means your run should be around June. It sucks but in this case it is actually a win because if you buy the pro instead, you will get 95% of the fun and excitement.

If you really want a Prem, you might be able to pick up a show model after a pin show IF you know who is going and contact them WELL BEFORE the show to buy it.

MGC is up next this weekend. See who's bringing new Godzilla Prems for the show and contact now. GO!

Pinside calendar is here to plot your early premium acquisition:
https://pinside.com/pinball/events

#1353 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Can someone please measure the connected sticker next to the right speaker? I asked Space coast pinball to make a magnet to cover that ugly decal. He's come up with 2 great options already , just need a measurement, my le not here yet. Thanks

It's ~151mm x 34mm.

But just pull it off. It's thick textured vinyl and comes right off (this could be a problem for location play now that I know this - kids pull off anything not nailed down). You can get it off undamaged pretty easily and then use some 467MP if you or someone you sell it to wants to put it back for a "factory" look.

I just took it off the one I have now that I've made this journey of discovery on your behalf. Easy peasy. I'll put it in the goodie bag with new 467MP already on it so some future person can peel and stick it again if they want.

#1356 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Thanks for measuring! I don't want to remove just in case if I sell someday, long down the road, the buyer might want it original. And he has come up with 2 designs that look great .

Seriously. I'll send you some 467MP to put on it after you sell it, making it peel and stick just like it was in the factory before they defaced the speaker panel with it. Pull it off carefully, put on the 467MP I'll send you, and toss it in the goodie bag. The best solution.

Hold on and I'll get you a pic of what the decal looks like with the 467MP returned to the backside. Stock look.

#1374 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Thanks for measuring! I don't want to remove just in case if I sell someday, long down the road, the buyer might want it original. And he has come up with 2 designs that look great .

Here you go.

With "stern connected" vinyl sticker (factory)
speaker-panel-with-connected-sml (resized).jpgspeaker-panel-with-connected-sml (resized).jpg

Without sticker superior retro spike look
speaker-panel-without-connected-sml (resized).jpgspeaker-panel-without-connected-sml (resized).jpg

Removed sticker restored with peel-off 467MP, ready to be stuck again. The adhesive on the sticker from the factory looks very similar to (but probably a chinese ripoff of) 3M 467MP, anyway.
qr-sticker-storage-ready-sml (resized).jpgqr-sticker-storage-ready-sml (resized).jpg

#1380 2 years ago

Glad you are happy with yours but pro owners of GZ are not kidding themselves. For us the extra cost is not justifiable.

Hey there, slow down. That is not a universal Pro owner concensus. I own a GZ Pro and the GZ Premium (or LE if you have the dough and luck) is clearly the one to get for the best experience in this case. Completely obvious.

I also stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

#1384 2 years ago
Quoted from AmericanZen:

I’m so excited, I got my new Godzilla LE today,but when I power it on it says “nodes 1,8,9, 10 not found.”
I checked all my connections, nothing seems loose, any suggestions?

Sounds like an ethernet connection issue in the backbox. Post a picture of the backbox inside to see the cables.

#1393 2 years ago
Quoted from AmericanZen:

It’s playing fine with the coin box door open. Sorry to spam so many questions.

Edit: Reversed switch wiring. I didn't read carefully to see you're playing with the door open.

#1401 2 years ago
Quoted from AmericanZen:

Yeah looks to be correct, Gray up and gray red down. I wiggled it and the start light came on and the action button light. But when I opened the coin door and closed it again it turned off again. I guess I’ll be calling Stern tomorrow

Your connector in the backbox is probably wired reversed for the power cutoff switch. Verify it looks like this one.... (I'm thinking yours will be the opposite at this connector)

cutoff-connector (resized).jpgcutoff-connector (resized).jpg

If this IS the case, you can safely swap the connectors on the switch at the coin door and it will work right. But verify yours is REVERSED from what this pic shows in the backbox.

#1406 2 years ago

I'm out of ideas as to the cause now.

I say just unhook the two connectors at the door, pop the switch out and reconnect the connectors so the switch is just inside the cab, unaffected by the door and will play normally with the door closed until you can troubleshoot with Stern.

#1410 2 years ago
Quoted from AmericanZen:

Thank y’all for the help. I’ll track it down.

Report back once you have the fix!

#1459 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Just picked up Godzilla premium!

If that's your excited face, I want to see your not excited face.

#1488 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I think it was titanosourus, maybe didn’t see the powerline targets lit up.

Maybe good feedback for sk8ball to have some callouts added for what shot to hit in unclear progressions.

And personal request - more time before hitting a flipper button generates a callout, and more than one callout available. Right now the reset time is way too short, and it says the same thing over and over.

#1490 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Two reviews in a row with the word cheesy. So excited. Games that take themselves too seriously get old quickly over here.

Keith used it in his expo seminar, too.

#1493 2 years ago

Had an operator friend over to look it over and he doesn't understand what's going on. Sometimes the short plunge skill shot registers, but more often than not it doesn't. Most games no tail whips will register, but then occasionally a couple will (and then go back to not registering).
I wanted to factory reset the machine, including the code, but I don't see how to do that. There's no option I can see in the insider connected section for reinstalling the factory code or uninstalling the update. Anyone know how to do this? My goal is to test whether the skill shot / tail whip problems are the same on the original code version or only crop up with .80.

Are the switches intermittent in switch test mode (testing them by rolling a ball, not with your fingers), or only in the game? If they're intermittent both places, you need to adjust the switch arms to get a better press on the switch button.

#1523 2 years ago

Slow down? Seriously? Whatever Dude and who cares if you stayed at a freaking holiday inn. I can afford a premium and don’t assume I can’t, but don’t appreciate people saying us who prefer the pro are kidding ourselves that we prefer the pro over the premium. Your reply made no sense. Whatever

I didn't say anything about whether or not you could afford a Premium. I simply said that your assertion that ALL pro owners preferred the pro was wrong. A case of absolutes being wrong absolutely. As a Pro owner myself, I see the value in a Premium and prefer it. Let me refresh your memory...

Glad you are happy with yours but pro owners of GZ are not kidding themselves. For us the extra cost is not justifiable.

You weren't speaking for yourself with this statement (note the absence of "I" or "me"). You were somehow asserting your opinion on the wider pool of "pro owners" with your personal opinion and wrong conclusion. I was just repairing that fault by pointing out that I am a Pro owner and do not agree, and surely there are more like me, just like there are some like you. I wasn't saying you can't have your opinion, just saying you can't put your opinion on other Pro owners and say it's theirs.

#1525 2 years ago

Pulled the glass off again and it seems like it's the lower switch that is flaky. It activates almost every time I press it, but it doesn't always deactivate when I release it. The upper one behaves consistently. I lifted up the playfield to watch for a difference between the two when pressing, but didn't catch anything. That said, this is my first machine of any kind and I've never so much as changed a bulb. So any specific instructions (even dead simple dumb ones) on what to try to tweak it without damaging it are appreciated.

It sounds like the arm is putting too much pressure on the switch button, so there's not much room between pressed and not pressed and when the arm relaxes to the home position it can't always get high enough to release pressure on the button. Definitely think bending the arm a little to release some of the pressure when at rest will help the switch fully release so it registers consistently.

If that doesn't work, the switch itself may be bad inside.

#1571 2 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Just got my LE. I have a node board 8 over current error. Reseated everything and it removed the trough error but over current is still there. I have no white GI lights in the lower playfield. Can anyone assist?

You have a short, probably a bit of errant solder in one of the GI sockets this is not that uncommon to make it out the door having this error with Stern's high-quality final QA check. Post a pic of the screen with the error and I'll tell you which sockets to check.

You might find this thread entertaining (same problem):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-2-node-9-overcurrent-protection-gi-failure-stern-jple

#1581 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I made sure that it sits a bit proud of the edges. After putting it all back together and playing, it seems to make a significant difference with the rattling effect and the rubber appears to want to stay in place.
Anybody have a better idea on how to fix this?

Wow, really weird there's not a slim post where those two lane guides don't quite come together.

#1628 2 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Could you put a blue nub of death there?

I'm not sure how it could be attached securely. It seems MADE for a slim post. I'm not sure why they'd leave it like that. Out of sight, out of mind, perhaps?

#1671 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

Can anyone help? She's all setup but my menu button doesn't work on the inside of coin door. I have never experienced this before. The volume buttons work but the black menu button does not any ideas?

Check all your plugs to make sure something didn't come loose. Start with the board on the left side inside the cabinet.

#1672 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I was getting only sdtm on gz multiball, this little dot solved the problem. It scatters them quite nicely. I'd like to find someone who could make a baby zilla, about 1/2" to 3/4" tall to put there. Or something similar.

Could put some 3D printed bushes on the left and right side and then one in the center for continuity with the dot hidden behind it.

#1680 2 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Think my building mech is unhappy with life. Makes this sound occasionally.

It doesn't know it's at the top and it's trying to turn then timing out and stopping. If that's what it is, it's not good. Will burn out the motor.

Go into diagnostics and make sure that the building diagnostics show that it knows where the building is at every stage. If it gets lost you need to adjust the switch or opto (don't have an LE, not sure how it triggers where it's at doing this blind) so it knows when to stop the motor.

#1699 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

I did this too today.
Had balls trapped up on both flippers and held the button down with my chin.

Same. I'm sure it looked ridiculous, but there was no one around. On a JJP game it would take your picture and make it your high score photo, so at least I was spared that humiliation...

#1733 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

How do I use (get to use) the heat ray. I haven't been able to use it yet? Do I shoot the center spinner till it passes all 1, 2, 3 to get to the top lighted insert? Does the action button light up when ready?

Yes, it lights up. You have to press and hold the button to charge the ray (while not losing the ball(s) in play - sometimes it's a feat) when you release it launches.

#1734 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

2nd) My shooter rod is hitting the auto launcher and is not center to the shooter lane. Are stern plungers adjustable?
3rd) The glass is very tight compared to my mando and I will also say its tight to fit the playfield hooks back in to the lockbar receiver.
Thoughts?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You can loosen the shooter with three screws on the inside of the cabinet, adjust, and re-tighten to center the rod better.

The glass channel is just a plastic insert stapled to the cabinet, surrounded by the side rails. Basically you have to see if the tightness is from the guides or the rails. Maybe back off the screws holding the rails a 1/4 turn and see if that loosens it up first.

#1740 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

Have gotten that far but I don’t see where I can scan it in. Feeling like a complete newbie here
[quoted image]

Did you answer the confirmation email?

#1743 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

Anyone have any issues updating the latest code .80? Mine came from the factory at .79 and I'm trying to update via USB but no luck[quoted image]

I didn't have any issues.

Seems like a corrupted download or bad usb drive.

I'd delete the one you have and try downloading again, then reformat the usb (not the quick format, the slow one), unzip the files and transfer them to the USB again.

#1795 2 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Magna grab questions:
1. Has anyone messed with the settings in the feature adjustments to dial their magna grab in?
2. When is it supposed to activate to effect the direction of the ball on the shots that pass by it? Is it random or just at certain times?
Obviously, on the main shot through the building, and I know like 4 shots feed to that spot...it just seems like it was activating on the heat ray loop all the time, and it's not now. Some shots through the building are not being fed up the orbit lane to feed the flipper, and just sort get grabbed by the magnet a bit and then go down the middle of the playfield?

I think it's just certain times it throws it up the left orbit and other times it just redirects the ball to the lane behind the upper flipper.

Here's what the two settings in the adjustments actually do:

GODZILLA MAGNET PULSE DELAY TIME - after the ball activates the "BUILDING EXIT" switch, this the the length of time (in ms) that will elapse before the magnet is pulsed (for flicking the ball up the left orbit lane)

GODZILLA MAGNET PULSE DRAW TIME" - length of time (in ms) that the magnet will be pulsed after waiting for GODZILLA MAGNET PULSE DELAY TIME above (for flicking the ball up the left orbit lane)

Keith said they're still working on timings and there will be adjustments in future code. I do prefer the stronger magna-grab and hold while balls are locked on the Pro that was present in earlier versions of the code. The magnet in 0.80 is way wimpier than the version before.

#1872 2 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I joined the club today with an LE!
Best game I've ever played! Although, I noticed something that occurred a couple of times. The sound completely cut out and then the game played for another 15 seconds. Then the machine reset right in the middle of the ball. Does this sound like a code issue or something else?

That hasn't happened to me, but it sounds like a bug. Try to pay attention to what led up to it happening and send the as many details leading up to the sound cut and then reset to [email protected] or [email protected] to help them track it down and fix it.

#1877 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

I had a reset a couple nights ago as well. The screen froze, power to the flippers went away, and then the system restarted.

Secret Applause Jackpot homage?

#1915 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Guys,
quick q - on the right side of the back box where the Stern Insider plaque is - how hard does it look to remove that? is it just a decal/sticker? it looks awful.
Neil.

I made a post here with pictures about removing it and rehabbing the sticker for reuse if someone wants to:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/28#post-6582369

#1919 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

If you're not afraid to cut a new hole in the side of your cabinet I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a deal to extend or tap into the wires and install a second button. I assume that the wires already pass by one side or the other on their way to the lock down bar receiver.

I'd do a guitar/piano pedal before I did that. Seriously considered it.

#2034 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

#32 LE in the house.
Any ideas on this issue?
Game plays perfect until/when I chimp flip say in multi-ball ... then flippers go limp (dead) and lower lights in playfield go dark for about 1 full second
Game will continue to play normal after that
Single flips - left or right flipper will not reproduce the effect, to reproduce it (100% of time) requires me to activate both flippers simultaneously
Thoughts?[quoted image]

Sounds like loose connection to node board cutting out from vibration.

First remove glass with the power on. Close the coin door and smack the playfield sharply with the palm of your hand in various places. Can you reproduce the lights going out like this? If yes, then almost certainly a loose connection at a node board.

Open the coin door to cut power. Raise playfield. Recheck the connectors to the node 8 board under the playfield (the rectangular one directly below the apron under the PF by the flippers on the left) which is responsible for the flippers and lower pf lights. Also look for wires that are not securely in the housings that plug into the board. A loose wire in an otherwise tight connector will also do this.

#2040 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Will do - thanks for direction here
Added a video to my original post as well ...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/41#post-6595619

Hmm. Not sure what to make of that. If you manually raise both the flippers repeatedly without pressing the flipper buttons, can you get that to happen? Some part of the flipper mech may be shorting out.

Also, maybe the switch blades on the flipper buttons could be shorting out on the ball launch coil or something else. If you raise the playfield and pull it forward a bit then rest on the service rails (so it's out of the way of the flipper buttons) and close the coin door so the coils still work when you press the buttonw, does it still happen? If no I would bet it's a short of the right flipper button switch blade, but verify by just doing the right repeatedly, then the left repeatedly to see if it happens when just one is pressed.

#2095 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Hey PinMonk - have you had a chance to do any flipper coil temperature testing yet on a Godzilla machine?
Curious how hot they get with extended play times?
Your flipper coil fans really help out on AIQ with long game or play sessions and am curious how much they may help out on Godzilla.
Thanks!

Yes, I've been doing testing, but waiting for the next rev of code that's closer to 1.00 before testing again and releasing. Based on the initial testing it looks like it falls in the same general temp ranges as Led Zeppelin and Mandalorian with pretty mild fade overall. To me it only seems really noticeable (if I wasn't staring at temp gauges) on that back right ramp later in play. Kind of like how the Captain Marvel ramp becomes problematic later in gameplay and if you're off a bit it won't make it.

So there IS fade, but I will say that Stern is killing it with temperature management compared to JJP/Spooky/Multimorphic, especially for trap players. Even for non-trap players they seem to really be holding coil temps down longer lately. They'll never WIN, but looking at the widening gap between Stern and everyone else, I have to give Gomez (or whoever's responsible - I assume Gomez is involved) credit where credit is due.

#2098 2 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Interesting. You have the numbers, but anecdotally the worst flipper fade I've seen on any of the modern machines was Stranger Things, and by a good distance. That left ramp is damn hard to make after just 20 minutes of play. Well, early Houdinis are the worst, but that was a known power supply issue.

Stranger Things is the pin that started me down the road of temp testing flipper coils because the fade was so atrocious. GnR is also very bad. But the last few Sterns have been a LOT better. Time will tell if that's a fluke or better flipper management by Stern, but they absolutely have the flipper hold temp management down cold. No one else is even in the same universe.

(There's a chart on the Tibetan Breeze product page with temps for the pins I've tested or had tested by volunteers so far)

#2113 2 years ago
Quoted from DoCPooF:

Well my excitement was short lived. Game worked fine, then about 2 minutes into game play the playfield shuts off, then loose power to the flippers followed by the LCD freezing.
Try to power cycle and nothing. If I leave it unplugged for 10-15mins I can get the game to power back up but then the same thing happens again.
This is my first Stern pin I've ever had issues with.
Grrrr....

Try re-flashing the code onto the machine.

If that has the same result, then try imaging a new SD card with 0.80. Sounds like maybe a bad SD.

Instructions are here:
https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

#2123 2 years ago
Quoted from DoCPooF:

Thanks PinMonk. I will give that a try!
Edit:
No dice. Flashed a new card, same issue. Freezes after about 2 minutes. I'm wondering if its a cpu or powersupply issue. Fan doesn't kick on. This last time the screen was pixelated when it froze.

Do you have a multimeter? You can check the output of the power supply to make sure you are getting 48v.

Also, the Prem/LE power supplies are interchangeable for the most part. You could just swap one out of your other machines. Just two connectors and a few nuts to do the swap.

#2128 2 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I can manually raise both flippers at same time (glass off, not using flipper buttons) causes no issues
Opened a ticket with Stern too

Update ... heard back from Stern, suggested that I pull C15 from the node board (node #8) to see if problem persisted
It did
But ... that gave me idea to swap same node board from my AIQ and try it in Godzilla
Fixed it
Requested a new node board #8 from Stern
Blissfully playing my Godzilla now!

I was just going to recommend swapping node 8 and 9, but you did me one better and just did 8 to 8 from another machine. Glad it fixed it for you!

#2210 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Anyone else have their bridge plastics start to chip and damage on the ends? I've had the game a day and they look like this.[quoted image]

It is kind of surprising that bridge didn't have metal rails cutout in the shape of the bridge to line the plastic, at least at the bottom where the ball travels.

#2214 2 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Has anyone been tweaking the magna grab settings? Just curious what others are doing.

The two settings in the menu are only for the action that redirects the ball currently. There's no user setting to make the magna grab stronger like is was in 0.77. Supposedly more tweaks to come and possibly a menu option. The magna grab in 0.80 is crappy and weak once you've experienced 0.77.

#2215 2 years ago
Quoted from MUGEN_4_LIFE:

Adding a bit more power to the flipper coil will enable those clean shots to make the shot VS. Lipping out and RESULTING IN A STDM OF DEATH!

It definitely is more do-able with a bit more upper flipper power. The stock power setting is really low for that flipper.

#2226 2 years ago
Quoted from DoCPooF:

I ended up swapping out the CPU node from my AIQ and everything works as it should on Godzilla.
My distributor is going to order me a replacement node

So, bad CPU board. Thanks for following up with the solution.

#2239 2 years ago

Any suggestions for how to get this plastic to lay flat like the rest?[quoted image][quoted image]

Loosen the screw upstream from it a little. If it's over-tightened it will dish and force un-attached ends to not lay flat.

Even then you might have to warm the plastic for it to "re-learn" flat.

#2248 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Btw I have still yet to read anything negative about this game on these boards which is a pinball miracle.
This has to be the most loved game of the new era for sure

THE ONLY negative I have is transient - that the magna grab sucks now compared how it could get any ball that came near to it in 0.77. They over-corrected to be WAY too conservative and it loses balls now. But this is 0.80 and more tweaks are coming, so I think it will get worked out in short order.

EXTREMELY fun game, and I'm not a huge Godzilla fan, historically speaking.

#2292 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Received me LE today, torn side decal and this wonderful playfield, good times

Stern really did go in on every little detail for this game. Even Godzilla skin textured playfields on the LEs.

#2332 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Gonna be honest, the foil is fine but I feel like it darkens the cab, I don’t think it’s that amazing
Does anyone think the audio is a little less clear than other stern games? Not from a hardware standpoint but the music/call outs seem like they aren’t quite as crisp sounding as I’m used to. I do play with headphones BTW

Use the line out on the CPU board and send that to a cheap $30 Pyle amp on Amazon and plug your headphones into that and it will sound great.

#2421 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Can’t keep up with all the posts so I apologize if this is discussed. I’ve played quite a few games on the LE, still so hard to walk away from, loving it.
A couple things, I think it needs the flipper cooling fans, are the rest of you experiencing that? After about 30 mins and wicked multiballs, mine get weak.
My shooter lane is clunky. I thought that was the cost of that extra real estate and I played my buddies and could hit the skill shot pretty consistently. Mine seems to do something different at the same power plunge every time, banging around in that left turn. Wondering where I might start here. It does get stuck coming back down on that switch, maybe that thing is too high and causing the issue going up as well.
This game is so good!!!

0.80 is better overall with heat than 0.77 with stock coil strength, but even then, you will still feel the fade come on in longer sessions, yes. That said, take a look at the coil sleeves on your flippers and make sure they didn't put ones that were slightly too short on them, which will increase friction, rob power, and add heat over time. There were some reports of that happening to others, and it's a simple fix.

On your shooter lane, check your alignment of the shooter rod on the ball. Is it dead center on a ball at rest in the lane? If it's off center, it will send your ball rattling when you launch it, and lose power. Very easy to loosen the shooter plate and re-align the rod if needed. You can also use your cell phone to slo-mo video the ball launch (from the top, and then from the side) which can give you a stronger idea about what's happening if the rod is aligned correctly already. Most cell phones have had slo-mo video for years, but if you have a jitterbug, you'll need to upgrade to an iphone or the like to get it. One of the best pinball diagnostic tools.

#2422 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

That was quite the plunge Mr Godzilla[quoted image]

Seems like if that arm were just a little higher or Mechazilla was on a small platform, that ball trap would be eliminated. It's happened to a number of people...

#2494 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Notice that a lot of the GZ’s are being shipped on pallets - none of my sterns have ever arrived on a pallet - is this a new thing from Stern? Pain in the arse getting rid of them!

Probably a US thing. Mine have always arrived on a pallet (JJP, too), and yes, they are a pain to get rid of.

#2505 2 years ago

Not sure but my game is definitely level, maybe on some games the building was somehow installed a few more degrees clockwise direction than other games so when the balls dump they head for the lower portion of the left flipper. I have never had an STDM building ball dump, as a matter a fact when I saw people putting the sticker diverter dots on there games I had to read back a ways in this thread to understand why they were doing it.

I'm wondering if the building is completely level on yours or a fraction of a degree off, which would dump the balls one way or the other.

#2512 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I dunno, the design & magnet use seems to be clearly made to whip the ball from the building orbit up above the upper flipper so you can then make a shot with it. The magnet settings were weakened a bit in this update…wondering if there are settings that strengthen it a bit or if we just have to wait for the next update.

The ONLY thing you can adjust is the part you're talking about. You're SOL if you want to fix the magnagrab in 0.80, but tweaks and possibly a user-facing menu option for that are coming still. You'll have to wait for the next version(s).

"GODZILLA MAGNET PULSE DELAY TIME" - after the ball activates the "BUILDING EXIT" switch, this the the length of time (in ms) that will elapse before the magnet is pulsed (for flicking the ball up the left orbit lane)
"GODZILLA MAGNET PULSE DRAW TIME" - length of time (in ms) that the magnet will be pulsed after waiting for "GODZILLA MAGNET PULSE DELAY TIME" above (for flicking the ball up the left orbit lane)

So to get a better grab on faster balls so it will have a better chance of whipping it back, I think you would reduce the pulse delay time (so it turns on sooner after coming around the building, and increase the pulse draw time (so it's holding longer), effectively widening the window for it to catch a faster ball.

LMK how it works.

#2517 2 years ago

Now that I've done it, sustain pedal is 100% the way to go for the center button on Godzilla (and probably BK:SoR, too). You have to be careful to get either a universal with switchable polarity or one that is OFF at rest and ON when pressed, or it won't work.

I used a CASIO SP-3 which is flimsier (plastic casing) than the Yamaha FC5 (metal casing), but the Yamaha is reverse polarity and the CASIO works as-is, which is important as I'm trying to keep the instructions simple. I'm waiting for a 1/4" jack mono extension cord to come in and I'll write up a thread how to do the mod so the pedal can be plugged and unplugged as needed externally. Total cost should be about $25 and it does require you to solder 2 wires.

Honestly Stern should just have a downward facing 1/4" jack on the underside front of the cabinet from here on out on all their Prem/LEs at the very least (BOM addition <$1) and then sell a branded Stern metal casing pedal for like $49.95.

Been playing the game with the pedal and it's night and day when that formerly accursed "charge the heat ray" callout happens. With the pedal? No problemo.

Casio pedal is here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00070E8I8

#2519 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Isn’t the game design that it’s supposed to be a risk reward thing of taking your hands off the flippers?

I moved the weight on that proposition toward fun. I understand the theory. In practice, not fun as-is.

Fixed it.

(Same thing with the useless BK-SoR magna-save on the lockdown bar button no-mans-land. Pedal would fix it and bring back the fun.)

#2522 2 years ago
Quoted from rob3:

This is going too far imo. Closing off the outlanes is more fun too, so is 5 ball…but no.

Fortunately I'm not coming to your house to forcibly do it to yours and open up your outlanes.

Maybe Keith can add a Track and Field-like pump option in the menu so I'm not just laying on the pedal when it comes time to charge during the game. That'd be even more fun and I have enough appendages to do all that at once.

#2535 2 years ago
Quoted from rob3:

Part of the reason for being so direct is that you are making mods that can significantly alter machines. From what I can tell you are having a very positive impact on these machines.
However if we start doing things that dramatically effect the original intent of the game designer and selling those things to the mass market, I’d just discourage that is all. Again, just my opinion so no need for another “fu” response.

Dunno. For example, gold gathering on jjPotC IS fun, and that's repeatedly tapping the lockdown bar button. Almost the same thing on paper. Charging the heat ray? Not fun. And NO ONE can convince me that moving the magna save from a dedicated button on the side of the cabinet on prior BK's to the lockdown bar improved the game on BK:SoR. It made it SIGNIFICANTLY worse and had nothing to do with "intent" and everything to do with cost cutting.

If this makes the game more fun for people, and they want to buy the couple parts it takes and set it up for their machine, great. Because the heat ray charge aspect of it is not fun now and BK:SoR's magna save has been broken since day one using the lockdown bar for it. My opinion. Yours may be different. But I'm simply putting a how-to out there, not forcing anyone to to it.

#2539 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes, but BKSOR is not Godzilla and the heat ray charging is about gameplay, not cost cutting. So you can drop BKSOR from your discussion - they are different beasts. If you were talking about adding a button to make BKSOR better, few would disagree with you. But here you are talking something entirely different.

The pedal setup works for both (or any Spike machine with a lockdown button, really). No one is holding a gun to your head to do it. Don't like it? Don't do it. simple as that.

I'm almost done with the machine so I won't even have one shortly anyway, if you're concerned for my well being. But the instructions will be posted for anyone that wants to do it to make the game more enjoyable FOR THEM.

#2554 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But you're also suggesting Stern add wiring and a jack and a cabinet element TO EVERY GAME for an accommodation that goes AGAINST the game play design... in a world where Stern is eliminating washers on a game. It's comical.
Sell your mods for people who want them - but suggesting Stern build those plug and play into their games to fit those... bizarre.

Um, where did I say I was selling this? Like the lockdown button add-on how-to for Iron Maiden and others I've done, this is strictly a giveaway how-to. If people want to do it for their machine, I've done the legwork for them and will post a how-to. There's negative profit motive in this for me.

Don't invent some kind of controversy to suit your needs.

#2683 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Legs on is absolutely the worst way to ship.

I've shipped a TON of pins (both buying and selling) using legs-on white glove service and had zero issues. However, in olden times when I was crating and palleting pins to ship some DID get damaged (and it was a LOT more work). As long as you're watching to make sure they use enough packing blankets and install all 4 leg boards down to the levelers, you'll probably be fine. I also have cheap $5 harbor freight moving blankets on hand in case they don't come with enough of them for a pin I'm shipping. Even if I have to kick in 4 to get it padded to my satisfaction, it's $20 well spent. I've only had to kick in one or two twice, ever. They're usually very well prepared.

If someone hadn't sold me a Hobbit around release with the "legs on" service, I'd probably still be crating and palleting. But now for long distance stuff it's legs on white glove for everything, and for stuff within CA, I use Chris at Sly Fox shipping - he's fantastic.

shipping example (resized).jpgshipping example (resized).jpg

#2716 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I mean, no matter how you pack it, there are always going to be times when the shipping company screws up. This just happened last month to a AFMRLE that I shipped. Don't get me wrong, shipping on a pallet with legs on, you will also find people that have had their pin damaged too.
[quoted image]

Pallet OR legs on. Not Pallet AND legs on. One or the other, not both.

But yeah, bad things can happen but in my experience from shipping a LOT of games, legs on white glove has been great. Zero damaged games so far. It's not the terrible choice some make it out to be. Quite the opposite.

#2797 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger68:

Just set up premium, everything checks out except right flipper. Coil doesn't fire from the test menu or from flipper button. Flipper button works for other functions. Swapped out node 8 with functioning one from elvira, same issue. No power to coil when attempting to test. Left shows pulse on meter. Any ideas where to start
Thanks in advance

You have the white post pulled out in the coin door frame when testing the coil from the system menu, right?

If so, at the coil are the wires connected? Give them a little tug even if they look connected, one may may not be.

#2803 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger68:

Yes they appear to be wired correctly

And you have the white post on the inside left of the coin door pulled out when trying to test the coil from the menu?

#2806 2 years ago

So that flipper is connected to CN7 on Node 8. (With the white pin pulled out) Do the pop bumper and scoop eject work in test? Those are both on the same connector. If they DO work, maybe the CN7 connector has the lead for the flipper in the wrong housing slot.

#2808 2 years ago
Quoted from Charger68:

Got it ,broken coil wire
Thanks everyone

Broken where? At the coil? At the connector, or inside the insulation along the way...

#2918 2 years ago
Quoted from MLarkin78:

I hope they do the topper justice. Killer topper like BKSOR got.

They could pretty easily just reskin that knight helmet as Godzilla's head, and the background burning castles as city buildings or pagoda-style roofs. That would be boss.

#2982 2 years ago

I don't know why it didn't stick out to me until playing tonight but on the pro backglass on the far left side, that neon vertical sign on the building is a Japanese approximation of the word "Pinball." Of course this is a fantasy because there's only like one place in Tokyo that would be considered a proper pinball arcade to warrant such a sign. You're lucky if you fine one pinball machine on location in Japan. Still, cool detail.

#3013 2 years ago
Quoted from gipinball:

I figured out how to register my game and started to download new code.
It seems to be taking a long time. Do I need to leave the game on while updating via WiFi?
I’m falling asleep!!

Yes, it has to be on. Just do it the old-fashioned way via USB if the wifi is taking too long. But even then with downloading, transferring to usb and then updating the code, it's probably an hour process.

#3028 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Only one ramp.

Two ramps. The other is hidden in the left corner and is a switchback ramp that feeds the left habitrail.

Quoted from cooked71:

No bash toy or anything interactive at all really.

The building entrance is a bash toy. The optos are placed ahead of the rubber bumpers on the left and right of the building entrance, so rejected shots that aren't shot through the building smoothly still register as a bash. Magna grab is a newton ball, too, so kind of a bash toy.

Quoted from cooked71:

All combined an “empty” game feels loaded. Can’t wait for my LE to get here.

It's really one of the best pins at release. Software is really mature for 0.81.

A recent gripe that I thought I was imagining is the video compression being a LOT worse than other recent titles. Turns out, it objectively IS. I happened to let the attract mode run when I was working on something else and caught the play demo, which is a LOT uglier and DEFINITELY more compressed than prior recent Spike games' play demo with the exact same game demo footage (how to insert money, start a game, shoot a ball, flip a flipper, etc). Gross. Dial it back a few notches, Stern.

#3063 2 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

I don’t know about you guys but I’d consider the mechagodzilla shield target a bash toy of sorts. I mean it’s a spinning ramp spinner target bash mech no? Also empty? Three spinners two ramps an amazing ball diverting building mech that changes the shots and freaking collapsing bridge diverter and first ever mangna grab magnet with captive ball target behind it! Empty…wtf!

He was talking about the Pro, so I left off the Prem/LE features.

#3122 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Premium landed today. Just played for damn near 4 hours with one short break. Decided against updating to .81 as I feel it’s cool to appreciate the major code updates (and I just wanted to play the shit out of this thing right away).

Get 0.81. The magnet handling is much better than 0.80, which is really crappy compared to 0.77.

And even aside from the substantially improved magnet grabs (not as good as 0.77, but better than 0.80), 0.81 has a lot of cool touches that make the overall experience better. Do it....DO IT!

DO-IT-cropped.gifDO-IT-cropped.gif
#3155 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Two questions about how this was meant to play, going to a friends to help him tune his-
Tail whip lane return, mine typically comes to my left flipper (I believe that’s the way it’s designed). My buddy’s machine it seems to hit the top of the right sling rubber and come down to the flippers differently every time (not real predictable). Not sure what the fix would be here (unless I can bend the lane return guide).
Scoop eject - mine hits my left flipper every time and I can’t deadflip it over the right flipper, will roll up the inlane a bit and right back down to the right flipper for a controlled shot. On his machine it shoots out so hard that a deadflip put it back to the right sling, which is dangerous. Maybe just turn down the scoop coil?

Tailwhip return can hit the sling on my Pro, depending on ball speed. I wish it was consistent like yours.

Scoop eject probably just needs the coil strength dialed in, as you suspected.

#3178 2 years ago

DIY Pedal mod instructions are up for Godzilla/BK:SoR (and really any machine with an action button, if you want):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/action-button-foot-pedal-for-bksor-godzilla-etc#post-6616394

#3219 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

...stern is making its newest unproven game displace known better margin goods.

The Cirqus Voltaire effect. Ending Medieval Madness production prematurely because B/W thought CV would be hotter.

Oops.

#3225 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Stern keeps blaming supply chain issues whether chips displays etc..., but they always seem to find a way to put another title on the line or re-run an older spike game now with the connect system installed.
Wouldn't it be more logical just to use those parts instead to complete orders for a game that they pumped up at the shows and on social media tha is now in high demand??

You can't run Godzilla Premiums with Beatles parts. Sure they have a lot of parts common to both, but if you're out of one specific Godzilla Prem assembly and the rest is on a boat chilling off the coast of LA, you're SOL to make more Godzilla Premium and have to put something you DO have all the parts on hand to make on the line to keep it running. If Stern could make Godzilla Premiums with WWE parts they'd be in heaven.

#3232 2 years ago

LOL I know that, title scheme parts are locked to that title. However what I kept hearing is either cpu, sound or display chips shortages due to world wide shortages at the moment. Playfields and plastic are a dime a dozen and many places can do that for them locally if need be. My point is if there are such chip shortages as claimed then why do they run other titles that I sure use that same chips for sounds, cpu or displays. Shouldn't the shortage issue be affecting those re-runs as well?

I'm sure it's a combination of shortages and chips/boards are a large part of it. But doing molded custom parts and ramps, etc locally is much more expensive than crating them in from Asia, and the setup is the most expensive phase, so they're unlikely to start over locally on stuff they've already paid for the setup overseas.

Essentially when they have all the parts available to build a machine, that machine is a go for the line. Some of the line scheduling is done with the assumption that parts scheduled to arrive for a specific build come in as expected. When that doesn't happen that build gets bumped. It's likely an ongoing, major headache.

But I just saw on the news that the port congestion may have peaked a week ago as new regulations about how long a container can sit on the docks kicked in. Shipping prices are down 10-20% now from their 10x inflated peak, too. So we might see improvement in the next month or two if those downward trends continue towards normal.

#3242 2 years ago
Quoted from Drain-O:

What does Stern's "Made in the USA" mean then? Just assembled in the USA? Of course I realize that chips, boards and other electronic parts sometimes need to come from overseas, but are they really outsourcing plastics and moldings?

Yes. Assembled in the USA. You have to have all or virtually all of the item (by cost) manufactured in the USA to say the item is Made in the USA. Walmart takes advantage of this all the time. But it doesn't have to be ALL the parts to be made in the USA. FTC is vague about specifics, though. It seems to me that Stern should actually be using a qualified claim (80% US contend) rather than an unqualified (Made in the USA) claim. Unless they really are just labeling the glass as Made in the USA and hoping people think it's the whole machine.

The Meanwell power supplies in Spike machines are made in China or Taiwan, so that's an easy one to point to and say it wasn't made here, yet is part of Stern's "Made in USA" machine.

#3248 2 years ago
Quoted from Ajoelson579:

Additionally, most of the components we use have been going up in cost. The energy crisis in China plus the increase demand has really messed with pricing of everything.

Yeah, the energy crisis in China is really woefully under-reported. It's a big deal and getting worse. One of the factories I deal with was shut down for almost a month because of power shortages and pollution. Never happened before.

The irony of China's chosen power solution in light of all the environmental lip service of COP26 is they're cranking out new coal power plants like they're going out of style. Not wind, not water, not solar, not nuclear - primarily coal plants, because they're fast and cheap to get up and running. But really, really bad for the environment.

#3254 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

The sad part is all the efforts to get emissions and global warming under control likely will only make a small dent until China (and India) get on board. They are currently the gross polluters of the world and make up 30-35% of the global population.

Yes, but without the rest of the world trying to compensate, it would be much worse. If China/India won't act now (instead of 2050 or 2070 or whatever ridiculous target India pushed for) I think eventually there will be some kind of tax on exports from countries grossly polluting that goes directly into some pollution mitigation fund to reduce pollution from compliant countries even more to offset the resistant polluters.

The irony is we're having this discussion in a thread about a game based on a monster spawned from atomic pollution. I guess Stern can eventually make a game about whatever monster global warming spawns...

#3267 2 years ago
Quoted from Pittfallass:

Hi....
First.....I like this pin so much... but
for me !! the sound and specally the music from Godzilla is terrible.
Is there a sound mod anywhere ?

Did you try the alternate soundtracks included? HYBRID is the default but there are other music options on the system menu.

#3513 2 years ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

There is a background whine from the fans, but fairly quiet (if you listen for it it is there, but don’t notice otherwise). Given the sound with the game it actually fits in. I’ll be adding the magnet cooler when it become available
This is my first Stern. I was surprised how loud the power supply fan was when it kicked in. I didn’t confirm but I think the coil fans are the same low noise PS fan than PinMonk sells?
Trivially easy to install

The Tibetan Breeze kit flipper coil fans are similar to the power supply quiet fan kit fans (they're both maglev and quiet), but not the same because they require higher CFM to cool the coils sufficiently. There's also obviously more of them in a flipper cooling setup, too. The factory just changed over to a newer design for the higher CFM fans and they *say* they're the same dB as the ones before, but they seem a little louder to me. Still, once the machine is closed up and glass on, the sound is it's barely there. The total dB for all three fans together is only about 25dB.

#3514 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Changed out the rubbers to orange. Seems to be a better choice. Had green at 1st, but was not feeling it with the art.
[quoted image]

Seems like more contrast is the way to go. I might try blue to tie in with the lane guides and the ocean/space/sky in the art. The orange on yellow bats kind of gets lost.

#3515 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

No the fade happens over time, not immediately. There is some initial drop, but nothing that I have not seen on my other games at start up to be a concern.
If I am playing alone, It seems manageable, it is when adding 2 3 and 4 players is when the fade become noticeable. I am still monitoring even with the fans installed just so I don't see spikes. Could be isolated to only my machine, but I just wanted to share the review of the install for Victor, aka PinMonk.

Appreciated.

Play style has a lot to do with how fast the fade comes on. Fortunately, trap players get a reprieve on Spike games as holds don't really add to the temp much like they do on JJP/Spooky/Multimorphic machines because of the finer resolution of the duty cycle made possible by spike hardware no one else has yet. But if you're a defensive flipper that flips as the ball approaches or while the ball is moving in the area, it will increase the temps faster.

In general, Godzilla has a slower temp increase, more like LZ, but it definitely has fade over time based on testing with real time temp probes (and your and others reported experiences verify). It just takes longer to get there, unlike, say Stranger Things coils that get really hot, really fast.

#3520 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I am trying out a few colors, I do kinda agree with you, but the family wanted to try orange so we will give a go for a little bit. I did out light blue in other places and like it, so you are onto something with that color choice.

I put on blue and purple just to demonstrate the other colors, and was going to put the stock black back on, but I ended up leaving the purple on.

blue flippers.jpgblue flippers.jpgpurple_flippers.jpgpurple_flippers.jpg
#3521 2 years ago

Anyone else get ball traps at the very back of the game when a too slow loop shot goes past the entrance to the heat ray but not far enough to continue rolling out the left ramp entrance?
This is the only one I've experienced and has happened several times at multiple pitches. I have a pretty tight tilt and wasn't able to nudge it out without both warnings and titling.

Not had that happen here, but it could be like Iron Maiden where when the mylar back there gets chewed up, it stops slow balls. That's why Stern had that stainless steel strip service bulletin. Dunno if Godzilla has mylar on that section (there's no ball drop there like on maiden), but you'll probably have to just get pics when it happens again so you can see exactly where it's hanging up.

#3530 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Red matches best IMO[quoted image]

Red, orange, yellow, would all match best, but with the fire colors on the PF in that area, they get kind of lost. I want some contrasting but complementary color.

#3556 2 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Light blue looks pretty good
[quoted image]

That looks good, for sure.

#3567 2 years ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

Received my premium yesterday. My dad and I put some serious games on it today. My dad absolutely loves it.
Two issues need help with hoping someone here knows before I email Stern.
1. The auto plunger auto plunges everytime no matter what. (my AIQ does this at times)
2. When waiting for the building to come down and release the balls for multi-ball, when we hit both flippers it start saying jackpot. Pretty sure that's not intended so maybe a switch?
Appreciate any insight and help.

Take the glass off.
Put the game in switch test mode (under DIAG on the system menu)
Smack the playfield firmly with the palm of your hand at various places around the playfield and note which switch(es) are triggered from vibration
Adjust those switches to be less sensitive
Once vibration doesn't trigger them anymore, return the glass, close up the machine and enjoy!

#3641 2 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

The tail is to long. You have to cut it so it fits in there like that factory one did. Once the tail is cut you can mount it just like the factory Godzilla is mounted.

Can you heat the tail and then bend it so it fits without cutting it?

#3653 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Just unboxed and setup my premium that I received while out of town last Monday...it's awesome!
One small issue is that the lockdown bar latched are super tight and the lockdown bar button doesn't work when the bar is latched down. I need to experiment with either moving the button, adjusting the positioning of the switch that the button hits, or possibly adjust the latches. The button works when the bar isn't down. When it's latched, it's so tight that it's pulling the lockdown bar out of position
Also, what have folks been doing about the bridge plastics? Is there a way to adjust them so they don't rub together when the bridge shakes/moves? I was thinking about putting some mylar on the edges.

Mine was the same way out of the box. You just need to bend the back/bottom blade (the one WITHOUT the plastic nub) on the lockdown action button switch back a little more so it's not touching the top blade when you reinstall the lockdown bar. It may look far enough apart when the lockdown bar is off, but the button pushes it a little even at rest, so you just need to bend that lower blade back, test, repeat until it's not activating until you press the button.

switch-blade (resized).jpgswitch-blade (resized).jpg

You can check this in switch test mode on the system menu without starting a game:

13-menu-progression (resized).jpg13-menu-progression (resized).jpg
#3657 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Appreciate the recommendation....I'll try that tomorrow. When my lockdown bar is latched down, the button doesn't make contact with the plastic nub. When. It's in position but not latched down, it does and a button press activates the switch with no issue. It's like the lockdown bar latches weren't installed correctly since it's really tight

Wait, so how is it not making contact when the lockdown is latched? Is it shifting the button over so it can't make contact with the switch? Because all the latches should do is pull the lockdown bar closer to the switch, which makes contact more likely.

Do you physically see the button not contacting the switch inside the machine (with an iphone or whatever) or are you just thinking it doesn't because the switch won't work? If you put the game in switch test mode with the bar unlatched, does it register ok (on/off) when you press the button? Then when you leave it on that screen and lock the bar down does it show the switch is on (little square) or off (little dot)?

#3662 2 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

I also found that the lockbar latches are quite a pain to latch and are SUPER tight. I’ve noticed that the action button works well
Sometimes and then not at all other times during gameplay. I guess I’ll look at those leaf switches.

Once you get the switch blades adjusted, it should work consistently all the time.

#3695 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Why is everyone into cheating? This is cheating, right? The whole point is that it is difficult to do. Risk and reward. You guys neutered that.

Gold collecting on jjPotC with the action button tapping is difficult to do but also FUN. The heat ray charge is NOT FUN. Dunno if Keith will ever make it fun, so I fixed that. I'm not playing in a tournament. People can play the game in the manner that they enjoy. I highly recommend it.

#3700 2 years ago

I used my chin. I thought that was crafty in itself.
Adding easier to push switches to a game (unless you are disabled in some way) is cheating. So your high scores should have an asterisk next to them. Just my $0.02.

You have to remove the idea that everyone is playing competitively from the equation. There's a LOT of people (the majority? I don't have that evidence, but it's a lot) that play for enjoyment alone.

I had a buddy that set his pins to 10 balls/game. Did that matter? No. That's what he wanted to do to enjoy his game.

#3705 2 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

I knew someone who had a few super deep games (Batman, JP, etc), set them to ten balls, and then gave himself ONE game on each per night. I dig it.

That's my thing - regular people pay for the machine as entertainment. So, find the settings and setup that does that - entertains. Who cares what anyone else thinks if you're not playing competitively? If it's not fun for YOU, then make it fun or sell it and move on.

There are ways to make the button integration fun. jjPotC did it with the gold collection. Deadpool's "BOOM" button is great, etc. As-is, heat Ray charge just isn't fun, plain and simple. And honestly, with a pedal, an option to pump up the heat ray would be...fun. It would also look hilarious as you're pumping with your foot and flipping.

#3714 2 years ago

An internal setting is another thing. That is a software observable change that can be documented with the high scores on insider.
Physically altering your game should basically omit all your high scores on insider. Otherwise what is the point if we are all cheating?

Again. You're ASSUMING everyone is going to be hooked up to Insider. I'm not. I know plenty of others that have zero interest in that and won't, either. So your argument is moot. They can make the game fun FOR THEM to play because there's no one else in the equation outside their house.

And if you're terribly worried about cheaters, be more concerned with people competing - glass off. In competitive play you either have moral character or you don't. You can't work around that requirement. Put your concern there.

#3716 2 years ago

Im sure you are one of those people who are ok with these jokers “making their games better” by modding them (tna recently, gnr I just saw). Then they go and sell them….with their shitty mods. Such a joke.

Yikes. Only place for bitters that strong is in a Bourbon Old Fashioned.

#3718 2 years ago

I am a bit bitter that people are wrecking games. Its sad.

Perspective. You need more of it. It will help.

(And a Bourbon Old Fashioned isn't a bad idea, either)

#3727 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Lol, I don't have the fat belly, or covid belly but that sounds fun.

There's a mod for that, too.

belly.jpgbelly.jpg
#3782 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Troz had a great stream last night of Godzilla on his ie pinball channel on twitch. His first game was over 1.5 billion and he made it look effortless. His main points came from a 2x multiplier on one of the tier 2 battles (can't recall which). I believe he cashed out with 750 million just from the battle.

Spamming the right ramp super trains got him more than 1.1 billion alone. He just kept hitting that ramp, building the value of that shot. He was up to 104 Million per shot before he missed and the shot reset.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1219013286?t=00h03m12s

He said he got 8 billion before but hasn't been able to repeat it.

#3789 2 years ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

Hey there, i just setup my Premium today. What a game!
Great so far and i just try to get the rules a bit. Animations, Sound, Flow just Wow. Very impressive!
But i also have my first issue. The first few games worked good and after a building hit, the magnet came on and did its magic routing the ball around. I am on Software v. 0.81.
After a couple of games the "building hit opto" does not register properly! Ball into the building does not activate magnet anymore. Ball goes STDM instead. First i thougt the magnet is off. But it is clearly the opto not registering on straight balls into the building.
In switch test mode i can repeat that. Fast balls straight into building do not actuate the opto, however i can interrupt the opto beam by holding my finger in the building entry. A rattling ball to the entry sides also seems to actuate the opto more often.
What could i look for here? Thank you!

The opto should be on a bracket you can remove from the underside of the playfield. First, try re-aligning the opto pair by shifting the bracket a little. Something may be impeding the beam.

If that's NOT the case, sometimes optos have a hard time catching fast balls. Pull down the bracket from under the playfield and cover the bottom half of the opto with black electrical tape. Reinstall and try that.

#3792 2 years ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

Cool thank you for your fast reply. That sounds like some good ideas. I'll try that. Do i need to tape both sides or only the emitting diode? And which one is what?

Here's a post I made about it for Iron Maiden, with pictures:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/153#post-5983569

#3796 2 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

My 71 loops ended at 12 billion for super train with 500+ million per shot at the end

That's crazy. I would have a much easier time spamming the right ramp without missing than the loop without missing, though.

Seems like sk8ball will make a qualifying shot somewhere else or something to continue the train every 10 shots or something so these can't be abused like this.

#3802 2 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

It was the right ramp, it is just called a loop in super trains.

Ah, got it. I thought you were talking about that upper orbit you hit with the upper flipper. I'm incredibly lucky if I get 5 consecutive off that. Usually it's just 1-2.

#3805 2 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

So, yeah, it looks like the switch 65 "R Ramp Made Opto" issue remains... switch is still active, doesn't look like there's anything occluding the path.
As far as I can tell, the transmitter and receiver link to a 2-pin and 3-pin connector; when I unplug/unpower those, the switch goes off, but on reconnecting them they're still active, so it's not a connector-reseating issue on that side. I also tried unplugging and reconnecting connector CN11 on Node 9, but that didn't help either...
It almost seems like it's functioning backwards... It's default on, and flickers off briefly when I pass something in front of it (unlike all of the other optos). Could this problem be resolved by rewiring? And if so, what would I be switching?

Check the alignment of the optos to make sure the sender and receiver are pointing straight at each other.

If that doesn't help, sounds like one opto is out or the wiring's broken to one. Opto pairs register a "hit" if their invisible beam is broken. But if the emitter isn't sending or the receiver can't receive because one or the other is defective, the beam is always broken and the switch is always on.

#3810 2 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Thanks kindly, both! Yeah, doesn't seem to be an alignment issue... Sounds like the next step is contacting my distro... I appreciate the insights!

If you know how to solder and have the tools, you can borrow an opto from a less important location (if there is one) or another Spike machine until you get a replacement.

#3817 2 years ago
Quoted from Schaitas:

where do I get those?

Looks like the "2004 iwakura xilien mini figure" capsule toys. $2 new in a vending machine in japan. $20-$40 now.

#3859 2 years ago
Quoted from DVDA:

just got my premium last night and does anyone else having a issue with moving the playfield? mine is crazy tight in the cabinet and is difficult lifting and lowering? mine has zero room on the sides

Is the cabinet square?

#3862 2 years ago
Quoted from benjoewoo:

Does anyone know where you can plug an ethernet cord directly into the premium game?

There are other RJ45 connectors on the board, but CN17 is the RJ45 ethernet connector. This is the one you want...

Spike_Ethernet_CN17_Connector (resized).jpgSpike_Ethernet_CN17_Connector (resized).jpg
#3867 2 years ago
Quoted from RonaldRaygun_:

I just got my premium today!
I had a few issues I wanted to see if any of you could help with. It's my first pin and I'm looking to see if any of you had any issues with your flippers right out of the gate? For whatever reason, my lower left flipper refuses to actuate with the switch. It will actuate if I go into the coil test, but that is the only way it will fire. I've checked the flipper switch, and it makes good contact. I'm not entirely sure where to look next.
If I lift the play field to examine the underside, I can never get it to sit nicely back into the slots at the front. Those little fingers sit about 1/8 of an inch away from the slot. I have to lift the back of the playfield in order to get it to drop into the slot.
The plunger also seems to be out of alignment. The autoplunger works just fine, but the shooter rod retaining washer hits the side of the autoplunger - thing? The little metal fork. The manual plunges are always incredibly weak because of this. Barely making it out of the shooter lane. I included a picture of the alignment of the rod.
Thanks for any help!
[quoted image]

Flipper, from most to least likely:

The left flipper is a stack, so when you press it, does your upper left flipper activate, but not your lower? It's likely you need to adjust the blades by bending them in so they make contact sooner for both the upper and lower blades.

If not that, check the wires to make sure that there isn't a broken wire on the left flipper button switch.

If that checks out, then with a multimeter follow the wire back and test continuity of each wire going to the button to make sure there's not a break in the wire.

For the shooter:
You can loosen the three screws on the inside opposite the shooter plate the rod is attached to and adjust, then re-tighten to get it more centered.

#3883 2 years ago

So the blades of the switch function normally. I checked for continuity on the switch and it operates fine. I traced the wires and shot for continuity along the entire wire from the switch to the connector on node 8. Got good continuity on each of the 4 wires. I have no idea where to go now.
When I first booted up the game, I got node board 1, 4, 8, 9 errors. After reseating every connection, I no longer have those errors, but would that have messed anything up?

When you say they function normally, do you mean in switch test each one of the two levels on the left register as you press the button slowly?

#3884 2 years ago
Quoted from DVDA:

the cabinet is not square. not sure how to fix this or if its possible

That is a call to your distributor. May have to get a cabinet swap from Stern if it's not fixable in the field.

#3885 2 years ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Replacing that broken under-bridge plastic with a new piece AND protector is only going to make it more prone to breakage though wouldn't it? Almost looks like the bridge plastic needs a little Dremelling. Or just use a plastic protector without the plastic - that way you get to see the captive ball!

Hard to tell if it's the plastic trim on the bridge or the metal underneath that's impacting the plastic. Putting some kind of thin adhesive rubber strip on the bottom of the bridge might be a good way to cushion impacts.

#3904 2 years ago

No. The switch test does not recognize the lower left flipper. It will recognize the upper flipper though. I tested the switch with a multimeter at the node board that it plugs into. That part works normally. The switch, wires, and connector all works normally. The game just doesn't recognize that that switch is being closed. I emailed Stern and I'm gonna call my distributor tomorrow.

On the Node 8 CN9 connector, the one the switch for that flipper plugs into, is the wire from that switch in position 4? I'm thinking it may be in position 5. In the Node 8 CN9 connector, it should be position 4 for the lower left flipper and 6 for the upper left flipper, with position 5 empty between them. Is it 5/6 on yours instead?

#3968 2 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Just an update: After I contacted my distro, I decided to try diassembling and reassembling that opto... Had only gotten as far as the transmitter half, as accessing the receiver half was tricky with my tools. Fooled around with it a bit while in diagnostic mode to get a sense of its behavior. After reassembling, it's been working right as rain, so I told my distro never mind (for now).
(And all scores have been cleared! )
(I wonder if emailing Stern will get them to help clear my IC scores on the LE... Hmm...)

It might have just been misaligned so the receiver couldn't "see" the transmitter beam. Great you're functional again. Thanks for the followup.

#4007 2 years ago

The wires are all going where they need to go. I verified that last night. It has to be a node board issue I think. I just need Stern to get back to me now. I appreciate your help!

If it's a node board you can easily tell swapping node 8 and node 9 (and setting the dip switches to tell each one it's the other - the settings are in the manual). They're interchangeable. If swapping fixes the problem, it was that board. It doesn't look like CN9 is used on node 9, so swapping shouldn't make something else not work.

Easy way to verify, and if that's it you can play it while you're waiting for Stern to send another node board.

#4023 2 years ago

The wires that go from the switch to the node board are correct, and the flipper fires when I do the coil test, so I would think they're fine. I just don't know what EOS is. Pardon my ignorance to the terms.

End of Stroke switch. It's the one on the flipper plate that is triggered when the flipper hits the peak of it's swing to tell the machine to reduce to hold power. I don't *think* it would matter in this case, but that's what it is.

Did you try the node board swap? That will confirm/eliminate node board as the problem. Here are the dip switch settings to set the boards to the opposite (8 to 9 and vice versa):

spike-node-dip-switches (resized).jpgspike-node-dip-switches (resized).jpg
#4104 2 years ago

Gotcha. Appreciate the info.
I swapped the node boards. Flipper works now. But when I pulled off node board 8, there was a screw lodged in between the PCB and the playfield. Still gonna get a replacement board though. Can't thank you enough for the help!

So the screw probably shorted the switch line on Node 8. At least you're in business now until the replacement comes.

#4105 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

My Pro is supposed to be delivered Monday. Woot! But I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a Premium Translight? I really like the Prem. Translight, but don't actually feel like I need all the extra features. The Pro is enough for me on this one.
Does anyone sell them, or are there any owners that have a spare for some reason?

Email terry at pinballlife.com. If it's available, he can special order it for you from Stern. Part number is 830-8427-T7.

#4141 2 years ago
Quoted from blairan213:

After a couple games I lost Optos and switches 51, 53, 59, and 62. Losing my mind trying to find a short or lose connection and noticed some people have lost similar switches individually.... Any suggestions, will one bad switch throw out others in a loop?

Those are all CN12 on Node 9. Did you also lose the power line left/center/right and the big loop exit?

In any case, try unplugging and re-plugging connector CN12 on Node 9.

#4153 2 years ago
Quoted from Mjesposi:

Hey everyone. I am having the same issue where it is awarding me loop points from
Me hitting left flipper (which is also causing auto launch). Are there any instructions or tips to adjust this switch or issue? Greatly appreciate any and all help as never had to make an adjustment like this before.
Thank you
Mike

Covered here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/72#post-6624847

You can also hit the "TOPIC INDEX" at the top of any page in a thread to find tech or mod posts quickly. Hit "keypost summary" to sort the list by type for long lists.

#4166 2 years ago
Quoted from rolandhammer:

Fired up my machine last night and a few seconds into play it seemed like the lower half of the playfield lost power. Flippers were activating maybe 50% of the time and LEDs were dim or flashing intermittently. I took a look at the diagnostics and it said nodes 1, 8, 9, and 10 were not responding. I saw another thread with the same issue and checked the ethernet cables on the nodes and all were fine. Any idea what could be causing this? Anyone else run into this issue? Every minute I'm not playing is agony!

How long has it been working ok before today?

#4169 2 years ago
Quoted from rolandhammer:

Flawlessly and it booted with all the lights seeming to work fine before going kaput, which seemed strange to me. I've got about 50ish games on it and it's the first pin I've ever purchased so I have definitely been babying it.

I'd try re-imaging the SD card. The images and utility are on Stern's site here:
https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

The cheap SD cards Stern uses can cause all sorts of weird behavior if they partially fail. If you have a DIFFERENT class 10 compatible SD card to image, even better, since the card itself may be flaky.

If that doesn't take care of it, then diagnostic time.

The SD card is in the upper right of the CPU board in the backbox. You press to click-release it. You can see it just sticking out in the picture here...
Avengers Pro CPU Board (resized).JPGAvengers Pro CPU Board (resized).JPG

#4182 2 years ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

What is the micro sd card in the middle below the cpu cooler for?

Never really investigated, but I'm assuming that's where settings/audits are being stored.

#4197 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

May dethrone IMDN as my favorite Elwin eventually.
[quoted image]

Let's not get carried away.

Maiden Prem is still my favorite Elwin. Godzilla immediately became a strong second in his oeuvre, and I'm only a very casual fan of Godzilla IP. But really anything he's done is still above the majority of what's out there, even when it doesn't hit for me personally. When he finally breaks the "no subway" dam at Stern (no, AIQs ball holder, Maiden's mini subway, and Ghostbusters almost-a-hint-of-a-subway" don't count), look out.

#4200 2 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

mine just broke as well. So looks like this is going to be a problem. Mine was the same side as well. If yours is like mine the screws are fine but the little posts are stripped out. I have a call in to my distributor. So hopefully they can replace that bottom section. Sucks with out those there it’s unplayable.
Magicchiz[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I can't see the other side of that rubber block with the metal backing. Is the metal stripped out on the holes? If not, aren't the screws just being knocked loose from the bracket that holds the rubber block in?

#4274 2 years ago
Quoted from Mjesposi:

Hey everyone - so I followed the switch test process and no switches are triggered when smacking the playfield firmly while in test mode. Once I press the left or right flipper button, the "Big Loop" switch is triggered from that action. If I lightly press on the flipper button it does not activate but normal press and it does. Then once I press on the actual big loop switch, nothing is showing up in test mode, but when I "finesse" the push, I can finally get it to recognize.
I have a ticket into Stern but know how well you all know your stuff when it comes to this and would appreciate any and all help!!! Also n please note that if someone says that I need to "adjust the switch" I don't know what that exactly means and what that entails and need help there are well.
Thank you!!!
Mike

It sounds like your Big Loop switch is constantly pressed and vibration is "unpressing" it intermittently. In the switch test mode when you "finesse" it to get it to register, does that make a square appear or disappear on the switch test screen?

IF the actuator arm (wire) is constantly making the switch be on, you just need to bend the wire a little to release pressure on the switch button the arm activates, so it only registers when pressed.

#4320 2 years ago
Quoted from Mjesposi:

Hey Pinkmonk. So I just did the test again and this is what I see when I do the switch test for the big loop. After playing around with it I can get it to activate and that first square will basically flash or go completely off. So it sounds like it may be making constant intact?
[quoted image]

Yeah, it's making constant contact (always "on"), so adjusting the switch (bending the arm a little) to remove some of the tension from the switch arm will make it so it only makes contact when pressed.

#4371 2 years ago

“Tanks are set to move in on Godzilla”
So I was toying with the idea of putting tanks in the vicinity of the tank shots. Not sure how I feel about it yet I’m gonna give it a game or two and see, But just doing one tank was a pain in the ass, as we are trying to keep everything to scale.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I asked the seller about these micro-machines die cast tanks and he said they're about 35mm front to back, which should be a great size. All but one would need a few squirts of army green paint to cover the garish colors, but for about $2 each (if there's not a bidding war), hard to beat.

ebay.com link: itm
Micromachines (resized).pngMicromachines (resized).png

#4376 2 years ago

The one I had 3D printed is 29.5mm as shown in the picture is just about 1 1/8". 35mm will put you at just a fraction below 1 1/2". For a few bucks it's worth the shot, especially that it took almost two hours to print that little SOB

Plus, those micro-micromachines tanks are metal (I think?), so they should be able to take an airball hit ok.

#4379 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

These are neat. 35mm wide or length? Was looking for something around the 35-40 wide so might be just what I'm looking for. Got the model for the M24 chaffee but that was going to take a long time to print

The seller said it was 35mm front to back.

#4382 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Gotcha. Yeah a little small i think. Maybe that 1:87 scale. Theres something I was planning on doing with it at that size on the wireform on top of the area of the tank spinner. I'll just print it and mess with it =)

There are existing micromachines that are larger. I was just looking for the smallest ones I could find.

#4399 2 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Never bought a new in box machine before. What are these little key chain looking widgets in the extra sticker bag?

Keychain doo-dads to put on a keyring.

Quoted from navajas:

What's a used Jurassic Park Premium go for?

Less than a Godzilla Prem. She picked a winner.

She could probably do a trade plus cash to her and have JP Prem owners lining up to make that deal.

#4513 2 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Hmm. Took a quick couple videos of how my Mom's game sounds. It's worse on 8ohm.
Thoughts?

Sounds like the amplifier chip or speaker is blown.

#4547 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Can somebody link me to the style wire connector housings that are used in godzilla? Also the connector pins? This pic is from a flasher. [quoted image]

Hard to tell with just one angle, but it looks like a molex mini-fit jr series:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0039014031/930290

#4587 2 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

The backbox speakers can be replaced with the kenwood s1366. They’re the same as in the LE. You need to change your settings to 4 ohm as the smaller speakers that come in the pro and premium are 8 ohm. You will need new mounting plates from speakerlightkits.com to mount the larger 5.25” speakers.
The cabinet speaker can be replaced ideally with a 4 ohm 8” woofer with a high sensitivity (the higher above 90db the better). I could only get hold of the 8 ohm pyramid wh88. The goldwood gw8028 also seems popular. Any of these are better than the standard cabinet speaker.

I picked up a Goldwood 8024 for a little more than $20. Helped a LOT. That Stern stock cabinet speaker is trash.

#4594 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Comparing the pro to the premium on Godzilla I feel is comparable to the pro/premium comparison on IMDN. 90% of the game shoots the same, the best parts of the PF layout and flow are unchanged. Is that extra 10% worth an extra $3k? I didn't think so, but if money isn't a concern, spring for the premium, the building mech is one of Stern's most impressive in a long time.
The only thing I think should've been included in the pro since the mech is so simple and cheap is the bridge mech. Otherwise I have zero issues with the pro.

Iron Maiden Pro and Premium shoot VERY differently. Premium is much more ramp-focused because they moved the mummy shot from the captive ball to the left ramp.

Also, changing the clairvoyant from a target to a ball makes a huge difference in how the two play. It's much easier to accidentally graze the ball on the Prem if you're out of control. The pro you're not registering that target from the side.

Maiden is one of the pro-prem machines with the biggest differences in actual shooting to do the same things, so it's weird that you would say they shoot the same. The feel is substantially different.

#4597 2 years ago
Quoted from TheOriginalWiz:

Does anyone know where this little guy is supposed to go? Should it cover up the QR code sticker or the warning on the bottom arch?
[quoted image]

If you're doing on the QR sticker on the backbox, I'd remove the existing one (pretty easy, it's thick vinyl) before putting this on.

speaker-panel-with-connected-sml (resized).jpgspeaker-panel-with-connected-sml (resized).jpgspeaker-panel-without-connected-sml (resized).jpgspeaker-panel-without-connected-sml (resized).jpg
#4601 2 years ago

Good call, is that what this sticker is meant for? It doesn't really look like it fits the color scheme...

I personally wouldn't use it, but I can see people enjoying it on the backpanel across from the game badge. I think it's just an easy low-cost "extra" Stern throws in since it costs next to nothing when they're cutting the QA sheets to add in a promo one like this. Same thing with the plastics keyfobs.

#4621 2 years ago

Strange - it was in my goodie bag with the other replacement decals. I got the premium.

Here's what was in the goodie bag in my Pro...

The rectangular vinyl sticker is taller than the QR sticker on the LCD backboard currently.

GOODIE-BAG-sml (resized).jpgGOODIE-BAG-sml (resized).jpg
#4747 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Anyone have any luck adjusting their magna-grab? I tried adjusting the position of the magnet under the playfield and also via the software menu and my magnet always drops from this position onto the top of the upper flipper. I assume you’re supposed to be able to drill the loops directly from a drop?
[quoted image]

How are you leveling left to right? Very small adjustments can affect this. Try turning your left leg leveler (raising it) a quarter turn, test, repeat until the drop works as expected.

Also, a secondary consideration is what's your pitch and how are you measuring it?

#4754 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I’m at 6.9 and perfectly levelled (by phone app) on the bottom half but that’s a great idea to raise that leveler a smidge. Makes sense that a magnet drop up there would be super sensitive to pitch and I’m in a basement with lots of pitch differences everywhere for drainage. Thanks for the idea. Will report back.

Phone app is often garbage results. You may not be where you think you are. Use a real level.

#4796 2 years ago
Quoted from Daveyj73:

Hello everyone, I just received my GZ premium today. Playing a few game. I’m noticing my upper left flipper is pretty “soft”I’ve set it at 172 power in the flipper setting. Default is 160. My bottom left and right clippers were set at default 240 left/230 right. Curious if anyone has made any adjustments to the upper flipper coil adjustment and have had improvement, and if your bottom flipper were set balance or not. Thanks

I turned mine up to 180.

#4849 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Has anyone tried old school zip drive?

Works fine. Updated manually.

#4850 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

That makes zeroes of sense. Why not have it ready and THEN send the email?

Or make it available for network update first, THEN post the manual code (not that it bothers me, I did manual anyway).

#4855 2 years ago
Quoted from Muymanwell:

to make an educated guess, they likely had the email blast scheduled through their system, and had pushed the code to the CDN source server, but it hadn't replicated as quickly as they expected.

I'm sure they'll figure it out before long so the releases are tighter.

#4856 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

WTF - my connected download starts, runs for a minute then stops and goes back to 'up to date - version .081'. I then back out of the network menu, then go back in and to software update, it starts downloading .85 again then stops after a minute and says 'up to date' and round and round i go. Can't help but feel something is wrong
Anyone else seeing this? Wi-Fi signal is strong.

Server's probably getting hammered.

#4861 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

The raising of the left leveler has really helped the magnet drops, thanks for all the replies.

Godzilla is very sensitive to left to right leveling and pitch, probably the most sensitive Stern since Star Wars, IMO. So, glad the leg leveler quarter turn, test, repeat worked to get you dialed in.

#4915 2 years ago
Quoted from Birdhops:

Did you have any issues when clicking on premium code and it showing as LE code on stern site...are they the same?
Thanks

They're the same. Stern LE is just a Premium with cosmetic upgrades.

The only time in recent memory when an LE was physically different in code-managed toys than a Premium and had specific code for it alone was on JJP's GnR that got a physical COMA lock on the CEs (what JJP calls an LE) and the LEs (what JJP calls a Premium) did not.

#4988 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

I will need to listen for that.
I have to ask - what is "shatzing"?
Thanks!

Named for Neil Shatz. Also known as an alley pass.

Passing the ball from one flipper across to the other side and backwards up the inlane. Iron maiden has a target at the top of the left inlane specifically placed to be hit with a right to left shatz.

Here is Karl DeAngelo casually doing one on Godzilla running 0.85 when he declares he wants the saucer and gets it with an alley pass from the left flipper to the right inlane:

#5023 2 years ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

Joining the club with a premium tomorrow. There are 100 pages here so I apologize for the inevitable repeat, but I'm wondering what, if anything needs to be addressed right after unboxing?
For example, Mandalorian had ball guide and diverter issues from the jump. People had recommended the flipper power be turned down from factory settings, etc
Thanks!

Make sure you have some nylon washers from Ace Hardware on hand for the leg bolts to protect the leg powder coating around the bolt holes from getting chewed up by the bolt head. I know Ace has white ones, and some locations have black. Lower trough eject power. Lower LED lighting max from 255 to 200 (to save your eyes!). Make SURE the machine is level left to right with an actual level and not an app. If you have problems with SDTM drains or the ball not dropping from the magna grab to in front of the flipper (if it hits the top of the upper flipper, it's wrong), adjust the left leg leveler 1/4 turn at a time and test, repeat until it's good.

That's it. Pretty good out of the box.

#5025 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

And lower backbox lighting to 10 or 20% during gameplay. Scoop eject here is on 140 and works perfectly.

Ah, right. I really like this newer option. I'd lower it at least 20%, probably more, when the game is played.

#5028 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Loosing a ton of balls shooting the right ramp from the upper flipper. Is there an upper flipper strength number that makes that possible consistently?

Stock is pretty low, like 160. I think I have mine set at 180 or 190. But I don't think that ramp is supposed to be makeable with that flipper. I did it accidentally a few times at 160 and can do it more at 180-190, but it's never a gimme from that upper flipper.

#5067 2 years ago

That would be awesome!

Yeah, a Medieval Madness-style Frenchman for Paris would be hilarious.

#5097 2 years ago

I love how casual Karl DeAngelo is about his skill level. On the stream he did the other day, he calls what he wants, then does a perfect alley pass to shatz his way to the saucer he wanted.

#5099 2 years ago
Quoted from Muymanwell:

man, these guys make me feel like i'd be better off playing blindfolded with oven mitts on than my current skill level

I dunno. I enjoy watching people at skill levels I'll never attain, and sometimes I pick up tips I CAN use and execute. I never would have even THOUGHT about an alley pass there, but now I can at least know to try it.

#5123 2 years ago
Quoted from Muymanwell:

quick poll of the owners here...has anyone noticed much thermal drop off on the flippers? I feel like i may, but it could just my subconscious trying to make up for my crappy play on longer sessions

Godzilla has fade, for sure. With stock settings it takes longer to get to fade (unlike, say Stranger Things that gets there in about 15 minutes), but if you're playing long sessions, you WILL feel it.

And it dovetails with this, so might as well add that the magnet cooler is going in the store here and on pinmonk.com later today. It requires a Tibetan Breeze kit already be installed as it uses the left over connector from the 3 Flipper SLE1 kit or the 2 flipper kit to power it.

magnet_bracket_picture_sml (resized).jpgmagnet_bracket_picture_sml (resized).jpg
#5129 2 years ago
Quoted from Muymanwell:

the breeze kit is why i wanted to make sure i wasn't losing my mind feeling it before i pulled the trigger. what is "this" that you have photographed here? I was looking at the Tibetan Breeze v1.5 SPIKE 3 Flipper Coil Cooling Kit - SPECIAL LAUNCH EDITION, but if there's an add-on coming today that is needed, i should wait

This is an optional add that also cools the magnet coil. On earlier releases the magnet was fading very heavily very quickly. Recent releases (including 0.85) it's been better since it's used less and held shorter (especially on the Pro), but on long sessions it can still fade like flippers and have trouble with holding fast and strong. This prevents that.

#5133 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Most I've played at a time is just shy of an hour (lunch breaks) and havent noticed fade in those few times. What I might do first if I start seeing a lack of power is replace coil stops. Not sure if the ones on this one is any different from the other Stern games. My aiq stops were shot at around 200 games. And think most of those games were short.

Godzilla is a slow build for coil temps, more like LZ or Star Wars, so you probably won't notice fade in an hour. But once you get there, fade is easy to tell apart from coil stop issues. Coil stops problems are there from the beginning of play if they're bad. Faded coils were fine when you start, but get bad once they heat up after a longer session. Then when you let them cool off and come back later, they're fine again. Coil stop issues aren't like that.

#5137 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball_happy:

Just had a laugh-out-loud moment. I was pressing the flipper buttons to hear the callouts during attract mode. I laughed when the deadpan radio announcer says, “Just like the songs says, We’re gonna super jackpot around the clock!”

Haha! I just got that one myself not more than an hour ago!

#5139 2 years ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Just out of interest how long does it take for the coils to cool through just not playing without the fans? I need to add fans to my games as I like to play one game for an evening rather than jump between games so I definitely notice some fade

With fans if you stop flipping, they go back to ambient room temp in just a couple minutes because the fans keep them around 100-120F and when you stop flipping they go below 100F really quickly. Without active cooling if you give them a break of 10-15 minutes they cool off enough to ease the fade unless they were way out of bounds like a JJP Pirates game with 249F coils (that were measured at that temp!). Those would take a while to cool off. For a "normal" Stern Spike fade temp of 150-180F, give them 10-15 minutes and they should be back to 100F or so. But letting them cool for a bit without active cooling, you'll get to fade faster when you resume playing than from a cold machine.

#5142 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I ordered pinmonk fans for it. I do notice that my right flipper is just slightly off compared to my right. Like it feels just a tad loose compared to the left. Would that be the “leaf” switch inside there needing to be adjusted? Do i just bend one with a needle nose plyer?

You can check your EOS switch is working correctly by going into switch test mode and manually raising the flipper slowly. The EOS should trigger on screen right as the flipper reaches its peak motion. If it's triggering too soon it robs power from the flipper stroke. If it's triggering too soon, you can bend it away a little so it registers later, then re-test to see if you got it right.

BTW, your fans went out today.

#5144 2 years ago
Quoted from Txcoastal1:

PinMonk
I have a GZ LE, and notice the fade when the family is over and we are playing 3-4 at a time on both the flippers and magna-grab
So to be certain what to order as I want to cool all....catch me up
Thanks
Ron

You just need the SLE1 Tibetan Breeze kit and the Dual Fan magnet cooling kit (the magnet kit will be in my pinside store here and on pinmonk.com later today). That'll cool all three flippers and put two fans on the magnet coil (one fan on each side).

#5151 2 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Anybody ever try a simple 6 inch fan under the playfeild to eliminate flipper fade ?

People have done lots of things, but you need to have the fan close to the surface of the coils for best cooling effect if you're gonna DIY it.

#5152 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I just tried this and they both seem identical in switch mode. So i dunno whats happening. Game is playing fine it just feels 1% off on that flipper.

Maybe the flipper switch blades on the cabinet are gapped wider on one side or the other, so there's a minute delay between the left and right activating? Look at them or measure with a caliper and try to get them gapped the same. Maybe that's what you're feeling.

#5158 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Where’s that magnet cooler kit? I have my cart full of product just waiting to add that!

Haha. Just snuck in the office to check mail. I'll put them in after dinner in 30min or so.

#5159 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

i bought a new set of speakers and the light kit to try on one of my premiums, but then I saw you needed to solder. Is it basically just heat up the weld, remove wires and then reheat with new solder on new speaker wires?

If you get rosin core solder, it has the flux in it so that's all you need to get the job done. It's pretty easy, and not as dangerous as working on solder points on a circuit board.

#5161 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Where’s that magnet cooler kit? I have my cart full of product just waiting to add that!

Okay, it's up on pinmonk.com. Pinside next.

Also from now until the end of the year I'm putting a pinmonk (L or XL) Cotton T-shirt in each order over $200.

EDIT: Now it's up in the Pinmonk store here on Pinside, too. Same unadvertised T-Shirt bonus until year end with either store.

#5165 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Talked to stern early. Confirmed. They are ashamed.

Unfortunately, Stern is not The Borg, so that shame doesn't filter through the collective from the nodes that feel it.

#5218 2 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I'm concerned that my left flipper is a little weak. I'm not a pro, but I'm not a rank novice, and there are shots I would definitely expect to score that die almost up, before coming back down to drain (if I'm already on tilt warnings). And I'm not crazy right, that thing is fading in power as I play it? New rubbers? Weak coils?

I would check your EOS switch gap for the left flipper. If the End of Stroke is activating before the flipper is actually AT the end of stroke it can make the flipper feel weak because it goes into hold power prematurely.

Glass off (rest the glass on something, not on cold cement if it's in a garage or something). Put the game in switch test mode. Slowly raise the right flipper with your hand and note when the EOS triggers on screen. It should be right as the flipper maxes out in the up position. Then compare that to the left flipper. If the Left is triggering the EOS switch prematurely, adjust the blades of the switch so they don't activate until the flipper is at max stroke. You'll probably have to test, adjust a few times to get it right if this is the issue.
flipper EOS (resized).jpgflipper EOS (resized).jpg

Oh, and also check the coil stop. Stern notoriously has been shipping pins with crappy coils stops for YEARS. Do you seen any gold "dust" in the cabinet below the left flipper? The coil stop could be going bad, but not quite loose enough to cause a sticking flipper, another telltale sign. Worth checkout out if the EOS checks out ok.

#5228 2 years ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Has anyone done anything other than an le style powder coat on a pro? Or photoshopped it? Wondering what orange, yellow, green and red look like, so many colours on the art don’t know what would look good!

Godzilla Pro red.pngGodzilla Pro red.png
Godzilla Pro yellow.pngGodzilla Pro yellow.png
Godzilla Pro neon_green.pngGodzilla Pro neon_green.pngGodzilla Pro orange.pngGodzilla Pro orange.pngGodzilla Pro brown.pngGodzilla Pro brown.png

Godzilla Pro dk_green.pngGodzilla Pro dk_green.pngGodzilla Pro dk_blue.pngGodzilla Pro dk_blue.pngGodzilla Pro purple.pngGodzilla Pro purple.pngGodzilla Pro lime_green.pngGodzilla Pro lime_green.pngGodzilla Pro teal.pngGodzilla Pro teal.png

#5258 2 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

Found this tiny screw in front of the scoop. (Premium) any ideas where it is from? [quoted image]

Check the clear plastics. Mine came off the raised plastic on the left side. It screws into the hex standoffs to hold the clear plastic on.

#5260 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Has .85 been recalled? I just got home from vacation & wanted to update from .81, but my game says it’s up to date & won’t download the new code. Did I miss something?

No, sometimes the wifi updating does that. You can still download 0.85 manually and install fine with a USB stick. Still on Stern's site.

#5262 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just turned on the game again and now it’s WiFi updating. Thanks. Weird.

I'm sure it's just growing pains/learning curve with the wifi updating. They'll get it smoothed out eventually.

#5264 2 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

Looks exactly like those but those are there. I gotta really look tomorrow I guess.

There are clear plastics supported by hex standoffs all over the playfield, so likely one of those in another location.

#5278 2 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Anyone come up with a good way to light up the back left corner/Godzilla figure area on the Pro?
I added a 3 led Comet strip to the backside of the metal habitrail exit of the building, so it's hidden from view and directed straight at my added GZ figure. Used a small Comet matrix brightness adjuster, and turned it down so it's very subtle though. Plugged into a matrix led bulb/splitter in place of the GI bulb behind the magna-grab, wiring routed thru the playfield opening for the building opto just below where the strip is mounted. Seems to work great, not sure the lighting really shows up in a picture, but an improvement imo.

I would go with an orange, red, or green one, the white is too stark for the environment Godzilla's in.

#5280 2 years ago

Help request: Recently, my left slingshot trigger has ended up on the other side of the rubber. After putting it back a few times i looked to see if there was an underlying cause and discovered that the top screw (? Not sure if the correct term) on the slingshot was popped up a good bit out of the playfield when compared to its counterpart on the right side as well as the bottom screw on the left.

Look under the playfield, are there T-Nuts at the end of both of those holes? It sounds like one of the T-nuts is missing which is what grabs into the playfield and secures the screw you turn into it from the top side.

This is the wrong kind of screw on top, but should give you an idea how T-nuts work.

t-nut (resized).jpgt-nut (resized).jpg
#5365 2 years ago

Getting node board 8 over charge error. Checked connectors and all are ok. Also trying to update the game with usb stick and doesn’t detect it when I start the game. Going to download the game code again or just create an image file and see if that works.

What's message 2/2?

#5367 2 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

My LE is unplayable
The turn table wont move. [quoted image][quoted image]

Have you gone into switch test mode and tested switch 41? If it's not working or stuck the turntable will not know where it is and not work.

#5369 2 years ago

Checked under the playfield. It has a t nut on both holes, however the screw on the top won't go as far through the nut as the one on the bottom. I was able to get it down a little further than previously, so may leave well enough alone even though it isn't flush with the playfield.

So, maybe the T-nut is cross-threaded or has a burr in it? Seems solvable if you want to eventually just pop out the T-nut and replace it. Pre-thread the new T-nut before you install it so you know it works if you decide to do that.

#5372 2 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Am I missing something? Isn't Godzilla supposed to be WIFI ready? Mine says I am missing USB WIFI adapter, can't connect?

Someone at the factory forgot to plug it in, or it wiggled loose?

Is is physically present on the CPU board in the backbox? There are 2 USB ports on the face. It should have a mini-dongle in one - that's the USB adapter.

#5374 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Is there a big difference between Pro vs Premium on this one? Looking to buy one..

I think so. If you have the funds, I would shoot for a Premium, but you may have to get a Pro now and sell it later to buy a Premium when they are more available later in 2022.

#5378 2 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Thank you PinMonk, it wasn't seeded all the way. Bam!

Great news it was only loose.

#5381 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I know it's been commented on many times but why does stern continue to use such crappy coil stops? I know it's all about saving a buck but in approximately 250 plays, right stop was completely shot and left was near as bad. I have pinball life ones on hand, 5 minute fix, but this needs to be fixed stern!

Stern has been shipping games with these known bad, crappy coil stops for YEARS now. All to save, what? 5 cents? Stern will cut "invisible" costs past the point they should, just to find the line. Their cabinet and playfield issues from prior games testify to that.

And it IS a Stern problem, because the Pinball Life ones are rock solid once you make the change.

#5388 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

To be fair to stern, the coil stops are the only quality issue I've had repeatedly. Never had cabinet, field or SD card issues. But this is so easy for them to fix. Not a huge deal, on sale they were about 2 bucks is all. Maybe I'm grumpy cuz of all the vacuuming I had to do around pinwoofer amp and cab speaker

It's been a few years since they went too cheap on the cabinets and corner braces. It was worst around the Ghostbusters era, but they've corrected back so it's mostly ok, now. Cab wood is still crappier than pre-KISS, but better than around Ghostbusters. Playfield stuff is mostly worked out now, it seems. SD card issues from using the absolute dregs of SD memory are still hit or miss, but not widespread.

But who knows what the next area Stern will try to over-cost-reduce with no warning and let their customers beta-test?

#5393 2 years ago
Quoted from troon47:

In this video, I don't see the building collapsing down with the usual STDM single file spill like I get on my machine. In the video it looks like the building isn't lowering itself down and the balls exit the building from behind it or from lower inside it to start multiball?

Yours is right. Have you checked your machine's level side to side with a digital level (NOT a phone app)? Try turning your right front leg leveler 1/4 turn up to make it ever-so-slightly higher and then test the building ball release. Adjust, test, repeat until the balls aren't releasing SDTM anymore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 210.00
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chula Vista, CA
9,000 (OBO)
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 35.00
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
517 posts in this topic match your search for posts by PinMonk. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club?tu=PinMonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.