gdz opto receiver (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_215256_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1439 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408-172718 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240408-172819 (resized).png
IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5052 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1374 Removing the ugly Insider sticker on the backbox. Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1795 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Magnet swing adjustments Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #3000 Register Your Game With Insider Connected Posted by TrixTrix (2 years ago)

Post #3546 TECH:LIGHTING. Backbox brightness adjustment PSA Posted by Chisox (2 years ago)

Post #4481 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Building stepper adjustment settings Posted by Palmer (2 years ago)

Post #6364 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bridge and Building adjustments Posted by koops (2 years ago)

Post #6745 MOD: Flame Speaker light kit Posted by DugFreez (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DiabloRush.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12227 1 year ago

That's a great sub. The same on included in a few of the name brand upgrades. I wouldn't pay $65 for it, though. I've bought 4 of them for $35/ea.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HJ0S88

Note: you'll need a spacer ring to properly mount this particular unit, as the speaker excursion extends beyond the face. Some folks remove the speaker mesh instead, but this is dicey, as the cabinet hole is just slightly smaller than needed to properly accomodate the speaker excursion. I 3D printed a spacer fairly easily. YMMV.

#12276 1 year ago
Quoted from Lopa:

can anyone share a link for a 3d printed spacer for the JBL stage810 sub?

Quoted from CashMoney:

No spacer needed for the sub. Just use sex bolts and be sure to remove the plastic fence on the bottom of the cab.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_Combo_truss_head_Zinc_plated_steel_Coarse_(standard)_thread_3_16_barrel_(6-32_thread).aspx?Selected=14288

This isn’t the ideal solution. A spacer is better. The hole in the cabinet is just a touch smaller than that required to accomodate proper speaker excursion.

I 3D printed my spacer. There’s a generic spacer on Thingiverse. I had to scale it up in my slicer; I’ll find the settings and link for you when I get home later today.

edit: I used the following. You’ll have to scale this in your slicer. The 8 holes in these were key. 4 of them fit over the existing bolts. I then used self-tapping wood screws to secure the speaker to the floor with the other 4 holes.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1236894
DDB8E218-964F-4452-9289-D596781C934D (resized).jpegDDB8E218-964F-4452-9289-D596781C934D (resized).jpeg

#12280 1 year ago

That box is a ferrite core for EMI. There’s nothing inside to see but 2 magnets. If you do open it up, be sure to loop the wires back exactly as in your pic. ‘cause, physics. How do I know? Inductive reasoning.

#12298 1 year ago

I’ve ordered several speaker light kits the last 2 months, and each was delivered very promptly, typically in 4-5 days from my order. Super-happy with these and the service. Just FYI. Results below.

8139FF10-6E3F-4964-B5D3-D8C127E0530E (resized).jpeg8139FF10-6E3F-4964-B5D3-D8C127E0530E (resized).jpeg
#12302 1 year ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Question on installing the stern shaker motor, my AIQ had four pre drilled holes inside the cabinet for the shaker motor, not seeing that on my GZ. I believe there under side of the cabinet has inserts for the screws to go into. Should I drill pilot holes up through these to ensure the shaker screws align?

Check again. Sometimes, a tiny bit of wood covers the holes. Poke up from the captured nuts underneath

#12305 1 year ago

Take a picture of the bottom of the cabinet from underneath. Should have 4 captured nuts for the shaker.

#12308 1 year ago

Poke a small tool through those holes. It will pop out the thin wood disks covering your holes.

#12310 1 year ago

It's fine. Move the braid a bit to uncover the hole. No big deal.

#12347 1 year ago

Please forgive a more general question here, but it relates to GZ and other Sterns. I’ve seen many posts that state the stock flipper coil stocks are junk. Several posts say the stops only lasted a few hundred games, etc.

My question is, what constitutes a failed coil stop for a newer Stern? Anything to look for? On heavily routed games I restored years ago, really well-used stops got mushroomed. Is this the issue? I’ve ordered a dozen replacements in anticipation of replacement. I’d appreciate knowing what to look for. Thanks.

#12350 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

The stops fail where they're attached to the bracket, there is a brass ring that wears out so you end up with slop. Aside from iffy play, check under Any and all flipper mechanisms and look for gold dust in the cabinet. This is brass shavings that wear off the coil stops. While you're in there replace your sleeves

Got it, thank you. Good advice on the sleeves, too. I do this whenever I see any type of wear on the mech.

#12383 1 year ago

FYI, I unboxed my June 18, 2022 build GZ Premium last week. It has several QC issues:

-coin box wasn’t secured with a clip and was just banging around;
- the left playfield support (retained by 3 captured bolts and nuts) wasn’t tightened at all. All 3 nuts were loose in the cabinet and the bolts hadn’t yet been tightened to draw them into the wood
-shooter rod was badly misaligned. Needed shims and adjustment to get it properly working

FYI.

0626C7AA-2A4B-4C10-A7EE-501247807FCE (resized).jpeg0626C7AA-2A4B-4C10-A7EE-501247807FCE (resized).jpeg
#12438 1 year ago

For those that are modding their pop bumper to a clear body, be aware of the following (most of you know this, but there's a few newer hobbiest here that may not have restoration experience):

The clear bumper skirt I was supplied is too-long compared to stock (see pic). As you need to remove the RGB light to work on this, you'd be bummed to discover this fact after you reassemble everything. Let's get it right the first time, during your install:

You need to VERY carefully shorten the actuator on the clear bumper skirt. [Note: shortening is considerably easier than re-gapping the spoon switch on the bumper. Spoon switches are notoriously finicky, and it takes careful work and the right gapping tools to do that job properly; best to avoid it if possible. You can screw up a spoon switch pretty easily if you don't know what you're doing]

The amount of shortening needed is tiny. I'd suggest ever-so-slightly filing/sanding the tip to a rounded end. I used a hobby belt sander; hand sanding or filing will work if you're careful. Reinstall with the body and base, screw it down, and go into the switch test. Confirm operation (off in neutral; on when the skirt is slightly depressed). Better to have the switch constantly on when you start, with the post too-long. Remove, sand/file off a tiny bit(I mean TINY), and reinstall. Repeat this until you have reliable operation.

The clear body looks great, a fine mod to those that suggested it, above. Good luck.
IMG_1970 (resized).JPGIMG_1970 (resized).JPGIMG_1971 (resized).JPGIMG_1971 (resized).JPGIMG_1975 (resized).JPGIMG_1975 (resized).JPG

#12449 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I've never had anyone in years of supplying these skirts ever tell me they were too long.
I just went to the garage and checked; and these are spot on the correct size for Gottlieb and williams.
I checked against some unknown white repos and they were indeed a bit long. Mine looks like they may be a 0.02inches longer.
Weird. Personally; I'd just adjust the switch gap as I have the tool and it different isn't that much.

Zitt, thanks so much for supplying the clear pop bumper parts. Take a look at the pic I posted, above. The skirt actuator was roughly 1/16" too long. That's way more than any gapping of the spoon switch will accomodate without major adjustments. Perhaps Stern is using a different-spec skirt in their pop bumpers? I'd be happy to send you the old pop bumper skirt I removed from my GZ for your inspection. The picture shows the difference clearly.

edit: I measured each. The stock Stern GZ skirt is 1.77mm shorter (.07"). That's quite a bit for a spoon switch. Usually spoon switch tolerance/actuation is around 0.5mm
IMG_1980 (resized).JPGIMG_1980 (resized).JPGIMG_1981 (resized).JPGIMG_1981 (resized).JPG

#12451 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

It's not fair to measure from top to bottom like that. The mating surface is the flat part of the skirt.

Absolutely correct. I checked this. Both the skirt and the upper portion are the same width in these parts. My measurement is accurate. The difference in actuator length is 1/16" almost exactly from bottom of skirt surface to the tip.

None-the-less, here's a direct measurement of the actuator length from tip to skirt. Difference is 1.9mm.

IMG_1983 (resized).JPGIMG_1983 (resized).JPGIMG_1984 (resized).JPGIMG_1984 (resized).JPG
#12453 1 year ago

This isn't that big a deal, honestly. Your skirts and other pop bumper parts are great! Highly recommended. Be aware, if someone installs these skirts with no other modifications to their GZ, they'll trigger the spoon switch to always on. They'll either need to shorten the actuator or fairly dramatically adjust the leafs in the switch. If someone doesn't have experience adjusting leaf switches, that could be an issue.

Shortening the actuator isn't hard. It's far-easier with the skirt out of the machine. My purpose in making folks aware of this issue was to give them a chance to adjust for the actuator length difference at the time of the install. FYI.

#12456 1 year ago

Takes about 20 minutes give or take. Hardest part is you have to unsolder 4 wires for the internal RGB light, then resolder these wires again. Everything else is just screws and nuts (as well as confirming the correct operation of the spoon switch).

Here’s the rgb light in the original pop bumper and the terminal bus where you unsolder/resolder the wires:
AFF430EF-4496-47A0-8DF3-C5B157555725 (resized).jpegAFF430EF-4496-47A0-8DF3-C5B157555725 (resized).jpeg

ED24E74A-DA4F-45F3-8477-CC7C5B3CEFF5 (resized).jpegED24E74A-DA4F-45F3-8477-CC7C5B3CEFF5 (resized).jpeg

#12490 1 year ago

QC on NIB Sterns hasn't been that great of late. It appears Stern is pushing to get as many machines out the door as they can to cover backlogs. Who knows who's been hired and is working on these. Assembly of a pin is complex, obviously. My NIB GZ had half the playfield supports unbolted (pic posted back in this thread).

My expectation is that a NIB pin is going to need a lot of tuning and other care/setup. It's not like a consumer box that comes home, plugs in, and works without any intervention.

#12515 1 year ago

+1 for Zitts parts. They work great, and the clear base is absolutely a must for Godzilla. Looks good on Iron Maiden as well.
5704B2F8-2D56-406C-9E30-83648B114922 (resized).jpeg5704B2F8-2D56-406C-9E30-83648B114922 (resized).jpeg

71AFCDF7-05EC-485F-B703-0562F462AEE3 (resized).jpeg71AFCDF7-05EC-485F-B703-0562F462AEE3 (resized).jpeg
#12520 1 year ago

Link for the saucer mod?

#12546 1 year ago

Another highly recommended GZ mod is Chrome Candy’s various metal parts. If you have the Prem/LE, the metal bridge parts are essential. These plastic parts have a tendency to crack on many machines, especially the covering over the Newton ball that the bridge bashes. Note: install of the bridge panels is one of the more invasive mods. You do a lot of disassembly and should be comfortable as such.

And I second the recommendation to put quiet-fans in the Stern Power supplies. I do this on all my Sterns. The original fan (apparently made by Pratt and Whitney?) is obnoxiously loud in a home environment.

#12550 1 year ago

Replace the fan inside the Meanwell 48V power supply. It's cheap and easy.

#12636 1 year ago

I've occasionally had ramp shots that deposit the active ball on top of the building while its raising. This stalls the game, as the building top has no way of knowing ball presence. Full ball search/building drop is then required to keep playing.

#12642 1 year ago

Start with the switch matrix. Do you see a row or column with everything active? If so, find the common line and find where's it's potentially grounded or broken. I'd start with the shooter lane switch. Is this working properly?

#12644 1 year ago

In the menu system. Under diagnostics > switch (sw)

page 17-19 in this manual: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/SPIKE-System-Manual.pdf

#12663 1 year ago

I found and purchased a GZ premium during the last production run in June. Here’s how. As soon as Stern started shipping GZ Premiums, I called every dealer and distributor within about 800 miles of my location. I stated I had cash (literally, cash) and could come pick it up at their locale on a schedule that was most convenient to them. This worked. I paid a bit less than MSRP and no shipping/tax. Had a GZ prem 3 days after I started looking. With another round of GZ prem coming soon, this may work for you. Good luck.

#12734 1 year ago

Have you confirmed your shooter lane switch isn't stuck closed? That would cause this behavior...

#12765 1 year ago
Quoted from maxharvard:

I came back to update what happened...
Before I saw your post, I did just this. I called every distributor and asked to get on their list, that I'm ready to drop the cash RIGHT NOW, sure as shit, I got the call last night. Paid retail with a couple extras (knob, side art, armor and invisiglass) and expected delivery in 2 weeks

Outstanding. And congratulations. That makes two of us that have procurred a GZ Prem on short notice using the same technique.

#12876 1 year ago

Two most important mods for me (on any new Stern) are shaker motor and quiet fan for the power supply. My gameroom is really quiet. Those stock fans must be made by Pratt and Whitney, they’re ridiculously loud when they cycle. Pretty sure you could prime a Rolls Royce turbine with those things…

#12883 1 year ago

That white UFO saucer looks great with the white pop bumper parts. I went silver to go with the clear pop bumper upgrade.

IMG_2130 (resized).JPGIMG_2130 (resized).JPG
#12899 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I've found that stern uses mostly 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and 7/16" nuts for the bolts on their games. those 4 sizes should allow you to remove/install roughly 99% of the hardware found on the games.

Not quite. 7/16" is quite rare in pins. 11/32" however is very common. The 4 sizes of nut drivers you want to purchase are: 1/4", 5/16", 11/32", and 3/8". I've had this set for almost 30 years, used every time I service a pin.
IMG_2139 (resized).JPGIMG_2139 (resized).JPG

#12903 1 year ago
Quoted from j_m_:

thanks, I forgot about the 11/32" and yes, I've used that size quite frequently. I wonder how many people have that craftsman set?
mine are just as old

I'm so used to this set, I don't think size. I just think, I need the yellow driver for that nut... I'll bet many long-time pinheads do exactly the same.

#12980 1 year ago

Ok, that GZ topper is epic. I'll be the first to ask, where did you source this?

#13133 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

So is it possible/easy to remove the back box on a Stern, especially Godzilla? I'm limited for space so seeing about maybe putting it upstairs which is a pain already. But would be helpful for moving and future too if the backer box can be removed without a huge fuss.

Yes, and it’s super easy. I have to remove the heads on my games to get them into my basement gameroom. I LOVE the new Stern Spike 2 games for this. Takes literally about 5 minutes to remove the head. Roughly 6 plugs to undo and 2 bolts. Presto, ready to move.

4B3E2FBA-EC67-4092-98D5-E7B6DC03370C (resized).jpeg4B3E2FBA-EC67-4092-98D5-E7B6DC03370C (resized).jpeg
#13136 1 year ago

I have a very tight 180 on my stairway on the way to my basement. Head removal is the only way to get pins down these stairs and tight hallway with sharp turns.
688A70D9-C21F-40C1-A6B4-0D92CAA2B6A8 (resized).jpeg688A70D9-C21F-40C1-A6B4-0D92CAA2B6A8 (resized).jpeg69E7746D-843A-426A-A808-1701EB02A619 (resized).jpeg69E7746D-843A-426A-A808-1701EB02A619 (resized).jpeg

#13140 1 year ago

Weight reduction for moving couldn’t be easier on the new Sterns. You can remove any or all of the following in just a minute or two: backbox, glass, playfield. If you really want light weight, do all three and move the bare cabinet.

#13146 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

any chance you could just leave it in the box and have a friend or two help move it and then unbox

Not a chance. On my stairs, the clearance is about 28”. Stern + backbox is about 30”. Stern box is 31” square. Literally won’t fit. Barely fits with the cabinet (only) on an appliance dolly. I have to slide the dolly around the corner to gain clearance to rotate it 180 degrees to continue moving.

#13149 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

It does not.
Buy one that is manufactured by Stern.

All my games have shakers. Both Stern and Pinball Life versions (rev C). I prefer the Pinball Life version. It's not only cheaper, I think the shaker effect is smoother and not as harsh. YMMV. Good luck.

#13175 1 year ago
Quoted from golfergordy:

I was checking the MechaGZ magnet & the magna grab magnet today in the diagnostic coil test (my MechaGZ magnet doesn't work during game play). I discovered that there's a pinball directly behind the magna grab magnet, under the plastic below the bridge. I wonder what the purpose of this pinball is?
[quoted image][quoted image]

It's a Newton Ball. Hits a switch at the top of the lane.

#13229 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

all my IC connected games today had reasonable download and install times for the update. GZ is going on 4 hours now. not stuck, making progress, super slow. Its always been this way with that game. Maybe I can buy a better wifi adapter for that game?

Swap the wifi dongle from GZ with one of the games that downloaded quickly. That will isolate whether its the dongle or perhaps the location of your GZ. In my house, speeds vary widely just moving the games a few feet. Good luck.

#13296 1 year ago

Am I the only one that doesn't care for the colored Lexan sling protectors? I mean, I'd love for them to work as the colored edge looks awesome. I just don't care for the GI lighting getting the same color tint.

#13359 1 year ago
Quoted from ticktockman:

So I got my GODZILLA PREMIUM today and the backbox won’t raise enough for me to put the bolts in. (snip) Any ideas?

Check the usual stuff. Make sure you're not pinching any cables or there's anything else between the backbox and cabinet. Take off the translite and lower the speaker panel and exam both pass through holes for obstructions. If all that's ok, then consider removing the hinge bolts to see if the backbox will sit flat on the cabinet. Proceed from there.

#13471 1 year ago

Regarding “tough” shots in any pinball. Adjust your flipper angles. For me, I could never make the tower shot off the upper flipper on JP. In frustration, I lowered the upper flipper just a bit (more “droopy”), and BANG, now I hit that shot much more consistently. I find the left ramp shot on GZ very, very easy now. I can loop the ramps endlessly (disclosure: I installed the Precision Flip system with bushings, that helped tremendously, too, in improving my consistency).

#13475 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

The upper flipper in JP "sags" by default. The top of the flipper is aligned with the dot, instead of being aligned in the middle.

Thank you, I was not aware of that. My flipper is set as shown, more "droopy" than the dot, but only from the center. I'll try it aligned with the face. Appreciate this.
IMG_2235 (resized).JPGIMG_2235 (resized).JPG

#13511 1 year ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Well, I claim I sell the superior looking flaming Speaker Light Kit for SPIKE 2 games. I really doubt any of us care if it is worth the wait to you.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

I'm hesitant to speak up here. I come to this thread for GZ info, and I appreciate everyone that posts on that topic. I think I speak for at least a couple of us when I say, might you consider taking this dispute to an appropriate thread?

And one tiny bit of insight from a customer of yours: it's not a good look to publicly bash potential customers online, excessively so. I'm honestly hesitant to place another order, for fear that should an issue arise, I'll get the same treatment or you'll have the same defensive attitude for solving any problems. It's pinball. An enjoyable hobby. Last thing I want is more drama and grief.

If you product is good, it will speak for itself. The more someone feels a need to denigrate a competing product and customers, the more likely I am to avoid them all together. Maybe I'm alone in this. Under promise, over deliver. Peace.

#13701 1 year ago

Precision flip in green w/light blue Titan silicone.

IMG_2293 (resized).JPGIMG_2293 (resized).JPGIMG_2296 (resized).JPGIMG_2296 (resized).JPG
#13897 1 year ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

I've been battling a tough tech issue on this game for a long time now.
Pop bumper isn't working. Coil works in coil test.
Switch doesn't work. Stern shipped out a new switch, it worked for a few games and I booted it back up today and it's back to not functioning. Connectors have been checked and soldering job looks fine.

Does the spoon switch register in the switch test?

#13899 1 year ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

I just got my pro yesterday loving it so far. One thing I’ve noticed is that the flippers seem louder than the ones on my Deadpool. I don’t know if it’s echo or what but just seems to make more noise just flipping. A

It's not your imagination. The flipper mechs in Godzilla are fairly unique in that the orientiation of the mech is such that the plunger falls amost exactly downhill on release. This gives more flipper bounce on GZ than any other recent Stern title. I, too, noticed they're a bit louder and have a bit more rebound as a result.

#13917 1 year ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

So just following up with the bouncy flippers, I was installing my titans this morning and messed around with the flippers a little they do seem to move quite a big. Took a video not sure if this is normal for Godzilla or just mine.

That's normal. The Precision Flip flippers and bushing will eliminate that. I've measured this on a dial indicator, btw. Stock setup is about 14 mils of movement; Precision flip is 1 mil.

#13919 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:

14 mils??! that's 1.4cm. no way a flipper has that much looseness? lol, is looseness a word?

talk to any machinist. mil = 0.001" That's the units on the dial indicator, below.

#13921 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:

a mil in 99% of the world is a millimeter. 1/10 or a centimeter.

Not to be pedantic, but a mil has always been 1/1000 of an inch. Never, anywhere, was the term "mil" associated with the term "mm".

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/mil

#13930 1 year ago

There’s two kinds of countries in the world. Those that use the metric system. And those that put a man on the moon.

#13991 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Hmmm, I love both of the Chrome Candy options....

They look fantastic. I recommend the other Chrome Candy GZ upgrades as well (Newton ball cover and rotating spinner cover).

IMG_2307 (resized).JPGIMG_2307 (resized).JPG
#14019 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Drop catches and live catches are extremely difficult with them. The timing is completely different and the margin for error seems to be non existent.

That's not been my experience. I've found it a bit easier to make drop catches. I'm using Titan low-bounce rubber, and haven't had either of those issues myself.

#14186 1 year ago

That looks great! We’ll done!

#14190 1 year ago

This is the NECA Godzilla vs Mothra 1964 6” figure. I prefer the gray over the green coloring, so this was a good option. See also the Super7 Mothra and Jet Jaguar in the wide view. Both available on Amazon for about $10.

2CCB06F5-1E4B-42F2-9362-99D3222D971B (resized).jpeg2CCB06F5-1E4B-42F2-9362-99D3222D971B (resized).jpegF4D3811B-4C54-473C-BD99-2F1FDE2C9859 (resized).jpegF4D3811B-4C54-473C-BD99-2F1FDE2C9859 (resized).jpeg

#14199 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Not anymore. They are $20 everywhere.

They’re currently $26 for both figures (including shipping) on Amazon. FYI.

D186DE83-AA5E-474F-9DFC-D3A71D4F4A00 (resized).jpegD186DE83-AA5E-474F-9DFC-D3A71D4F4A00 (resized).jpeg
#14282 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Anyone have blue rubbers on their playfield? I need to order some titans and just looking for some possible ideas and was curious how blue would look. Thanks.

Titan Silicone Light Blue.
IMG_2293 (resized).JPGIMG_2293 (resized).JPGIMG_2295 (resized).JPGIMG_2295 (resized).JPGIMG_2305 (resized).JPGIMG_2305 (resized).JPG

IMG_2296 (resized).JPGIMG_2296 (resized).JPG

#14310 1 year ago
Quoted from coloradodan:

I'm getting the following error lately and it won't connect. Cables look good to me, and the scanner scans my QR code and tells me "the machine is currently offline".
Any ideas on what to check? [quoted image]

As you have the coin door open, be sure to pull out the interlock switch to give 48V power to the QR reader before going into the menus to setup IC.

#14334 1 year ago
Quoted from sidesmack40:

How do you remove the RBG light to change the bumper parts? The 2 screws are under the light board. Seems like the solder needs to be removed

Yes, you have to desolder the 4 RGB leads from the bus-bar under the playfield in order to remove the light and replace the pop bumper parts. See pic, below. If you don't have the ability to desolder then solder these, you might be able to cut each wire with enough room to use wire nuts to reattach them. I wouldn't recommend that, but I've seen far-worse splices on many games.
IMG_1967 (resized).JPGIMG_1967 (resized).JPG

#14363 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

That is not correct, you can also Splice and cut the wires as I did. It was much easier and so much faster to do. I'll post a guide some day to help others.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Please, don't do this. The reasons I said "I've seen worse splices" than wire nuts is that just twisting wires (without a wire nut) is a recipe for long-term problems in a pinball. Twisted wires can corrode, often to the point of loss of electrical conductivity. The repeated shocks and movement can lead to wires loosening. Though wire nuts are designed to handle some of these issues, they're not great. Honestly, you shouldn't be doing any mechanical wire joints at all in pinball, just learn to to solder and do it right the first time. No hacks, please.

#14375 1 year ago
Quoted from sidesmack40:

Are you happy with the buildings from Mezel? I have them on order

My honest review is I'm 97% happy with these. The design and "pop" of the buildings is fantastic! My only complaint is the clear filament used for the windows. These are opaque, and you see the flashers through them. IMHO, they both filter too much light and really show the layer lines from the printing. It's the only element of these that's less than premium in feel/polish. And to not just complain but offer a fix: perhaps Mezel would consider an opaque film applied after printing as an alternative (and not try to print the windows in clear filament). Other than this, they're fantastic. I still highly recommend them, they're a significant upgrade for GZ.

IMG_2307 (resized).JPGIMG_2307 (resized).JPG
#14380 1 year ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Do you feel like it makes it too "busy" on the backboard?

No, not at all. I think it fits the theme really well. It's an urban streetscape. So I like the signage, windows, buildings, etc. I especially like how each sign is well integrated into each building. They're easier to read and see, too, which helps newer players. Each sign is so distinct.

You don't have to take my word for it. There's plenty of pics of the backwall completely replaced with Mezel buildings, such as my pic, above. Decide what you like and go from there.

#14412 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

I'm not just twisting wires, maybe I used the wrong terminology but I cut the wires, peeled them back and connected them, and then applied solder to make a solid connection. I then had a rubber heat wrap tubbing and sealed the connection back together again.

If you're soldering the connection shown here, and covering with heat shrink, that's a perfectly good fix. These look fine, honestly. I'd have no issue with this type of repair.

Now, given that you're soldering, it's really no different that soldering to the bus bar, but that's a small detail. Either way, you gotta solder these leads. No shortcuts there.

43d4b666bdbbea289e6fa1c2c2f5956e45c097fa (resized).jpg43d4b666bdbbea289e6fa1c2c2f5956e45c097fa (resized).jpg
#14416 1 year ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

My pop bumper is just a bit too sensitive because the right sling will set it off sometimes. What should I be adjusting on the pop?

You need to adjust the spoon switch under the pop bumper. This is a sensitive job. Just the slightest of tweaks here. It's best to use a leaf adjustment tool (pic below) for this. You can use needle nose pliers, but there's not a lot of room to grab the individual blade and ever-so-slightly twist it to increase the distance between the contact points. This is a common repair, and it's good to learn how. Be advised: you can screw up leaf switches pretty quickly if you don't know what you're doing. Novices tend to bend the various leafs in the switch WAY too much. Be super-light in your touch, and only slightly bend one leaf in the desired direction. Good luck.

s-l1600 (resized).pngs-l1600 (resized).png
#14428 1 year ago

One thing you might try is reversing the positions of the transmitter and recieve optos on the VUK. (rarely) odd reflections and light can interfere with ball detection. Reversing the positions of these 2 LEDs might solve that problem. Worth a try.

#14456 1 year ago

Yes, that post is different sizes. I just installed the Naegele building mod, and my post was about 1/4" too high. I just removed the height on my grinder, but that may not be an option for some. FYI.

#14526 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Obligatory question - what are the must have mods for GZ PreLE? On the list for the neon sign. Guessing a good bridge mod - which one? What else?

Assume you mean game-specific? If not, shaker motor, invisiglass, precision flip, and maybe better speakers would be top of my list. For game-specific, most stuff is just cosmetic, some of it really well done. The one for-sure mod is Chrome Candy's bridge plate and newton-ball cover. The plastic OEM parts can and do break.

#14553 1 year ago
Quoted from bloodonthepins:

Karl just played the new beta code with King of Monsters, it's pretty awesome. Not that I'll ever reach it myself.

Most of the newer Sterns have a player-controlled option to attempt the Wizard mode as an alternative start. I’m guessing they’ll do the same with GZ.

#14577 1 year ago

I broke the exact same parts on mine.

Hex standoff is: 3", 6-32 thread both ends.

Post is: 2-1/2" Tall Metal Post With 10-32 Threaded Base and 6-32 threaded Top

I got mine from Pinball life.

#14621 1 year ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Is it normal for the right flipper EOS switch to activate when pressing the left flipper button and vice versa? If it's not supposed to happen, any thoughts on what to do about it?
Here are switch test recordings from my machine. With the left button, some of the pressed are staged flips.
Left Button: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G98TGX8JYiGYXaqz7PJL_1gzpeoR9mQh/view?usp=sharing
Right Button: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1guIG8ciG9iG9cvWAoQ1TbN7bzA370uZC/view?usp=sharing

I don't think so. Weird.

#14791 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Anyone know where pinball-mods.com ships from? Just curious because I might order the clear pop bumper parts for the UFO and am just wondering how long it would take to get here. I couldn't find anything on their site.

Zitt ships from Texas.

#14912 1 year ago

Be forewarned: it’s unfortunately pretty easy to screw up leaf-switches when adjusting them. As someone said, TINY movements. You can use fingers/pliers at some risk of overdoing things. I strongly recommend use of the adjustment tool posted above.

And as was advised early in this thread for installation of the pop bumper skirts: after you shave down the skirt actuator, assemble and test function in the switch test before you solder in the lights. Make sure it’s activating in the switch tests, not the pop-bumper test (which just activates the coil and doesn’t test the spoon switch).

1 week later
#15225 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Haven't had my GZ long, and maybe i'm just stupid, but what is the BOC song?

#15240 1 year ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Best mod to replace the Mechagodzilla plastics? Pics if you have them.

Chrome Candy metal parts.

IMG_2042 2 (resized).JPGIMG_2042 2 (resized).JPGIMG_2133 (resized).JPGIMG_2133 (resized).JPG
#15307 1 year ago
Quoted from arrbee:

I've been struggling to cradle the ball on the left. Most of the time it will keep rolling at a slow speed of the end of the flipper.
after scratching my head and trying to fix it with leg levelling, I now notice that the angle on the left flipper is less than on the right flipper!
I assume this is not by design??
In a rest position, they seem the same but when both held up there is a difference.
Can anyone confirm if this is normal or if I need to adjust somehow?[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s not normal. Check your left mech under the table to be sure the flipper end-of-strock (EOS) pawl isn’t interfering with a bolt head. Common problem on Stern flipper mechs, and this is exactly the result, the flipper doesn’t move over the full-range of motion.

If your EOS pawl is touching a bolt head, you’ll need to rotate the pawl back away from the bolt.

#15308 1 year ago

nvm

#15323 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Looks like I have a chance to join the club. I really like the flaming city speaker mod, would like to add that for sure.
I see there are a few vendors that offer their own versions, which one seems to be the best choice for ease of install and overall best effect?

Not this again.

#15340 1 year ago

Stern coil stops are an embarrassment. They'll all eventually loosen and/or fall out. Replace with good ones from Pinball Life, Marcos, or equivalent.

#15360 1 year ago
Quoted from phs4real:

I added a 3/4” standoff using a 1 1/2” screw. Solid solution, looks original and Works perfectly! [quoted image][quoted image]

Genius! Ideal solution, thanks!

#15487 1 year ago

Looks like someone holstered a soldering iron there. Very strange. QC caught it, but then it slipped through.

#15553 1 year ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Just found a premium at current pricing...What are the have to mods to install ???

This question is asked nearly every day. There's probably 1000's of posts with advice. IMHO, the 3 most important mods are: invisiglass, shaker motor, and Precision Flip system. YMMV.

#15682 1 year ago

For a stuck flipper, could be a couple of things: broken return spring, busted coil stop, or interference between flipper link and bushing mounting bolts. For any of these, you’ll need to look under the PF and diagnose. If you need help, post a pic of your flipper mech from underneath.

#15912 1 year ago
Quoted from galactic_foxes:

Follow up, played 3 games and now neither flipper at the bottom works. Any ideas?

Do the flipper buttons register in the switch test? Do the flipper coils fire in the coil test? Be sure to pull out the HV interlock switch when testing. Once you get those results, we can provide further suggestions to narrow this down.

#15922 1 year ago
Quoted from Willys45:

Joined the club yesterday. Prem w/ a build date of 6/21/22. Right sling not working during game play. Works just fine in test mode. Reseated C10. No visual issues. Any ideas? Thank you

Did you check both the coil and switches in test mode? This is usually due to an improperly gapped switch on the sling.

4 weeks later
#16833 1 year ago

v1.0.2 of the code just dropped. Here's the change file:

V1.02.0 - November 22nd, 2022
=============================
- Mainplay Background - fixed an issue where the background could crash occasionally with a dark black area in the middle of the screen
- Tilt - fixed an issue where the building could get stuck forever on a Tilt that happens when the 3rd ball is locked for Godzilla Multiball
- Imposter Battle - now allow Skill Shot rollunder switch OR Spinner begin will trigger the Imposter
- Imposter Battle - now offer the Imposter if your Magna Grab is killed because the ball didn't catch on the magnet
- Heat Ray - now allowed to work during the grace period of modes
- City Carnage Bonus - fixed an issue in multiplayer games where players could sometimes get multiplied Carnage Bonus when their city mode had already drained out
- Destruction Jackpot - the red warning lightshow will now last as long as it needs to make it to the 3 - 2 - 1 countdown
- Destruction Jackpot - the Pop Bumper lamp has now been added to the red warning light show
- Godzilla Multiball - increase the music volume slightly for the alternate music tracks
- Mechagodzilla Multiball - added a rainbow cycle to the Shield lights when the mode starts
- Tail Whip - kill the display sound effects if it is interrupted
- Tail Whip - fixed an issue with how the background video was cropped on the display
- Loops - kill the display sound effects if it is interrupted
- Planet X - added a lightshow when Godzilla is extracted to be moved to Planet X
- Earth Bonus - added a lightshow to match the display effect
- King of the Monsters - added a lightshow and shaker motor to the Part 1 intro
- King of the Monsters - added a lightshow and shaker motor to the Part 2 intro
- King of the Monsters - added lightshows and shaker motor to the Win / Lose scenarios

- Adjustment Changes:
- for "GODZILLA MB MUSIC DEFAULT" - added another selection called "RANDOM MUSIC" that will auto choose one of the selections at random

- System - Updated to V3.27.0 on OS: V2.7.0

- Added Connectivity Icon (Ethernet or WiFi Signal Bars) to attract mode
Insider Connected screens. The Icon will be displayed in the upper
right corner with the number of credits/free play.

- Blink selected icon in Service Menu Dot Matrix menus

#16835 1 year ago

Dammit. Got me by about 18 secs. I blame Comcast....

2 weeks later
#17307 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Is BELTMANN the only shipping company people use to move pins not in box or is there a better option from NM to OHIO? Its a $16k pin so makes me nervous. Any suggestions from those who have done it. So you pay a pinside verified address person by check or wire and hope for the best?

NAVL (North American Van Lines) via Michelle has done an outstanding job moving unboxed pins. I’ve done at least a half-dozen shipments with them to/from Albuquerque with no issues at all.

#17311 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Does Stern offer a one click Easy setting like JJPs do? That’s a nice feature.

Yes. I believe its under Utilities>Install Presets.

#17333 1 year ago
Quoted from bush3262:

Is there any way to do software updates without signing up for Insider?

Of course. Download to a USB and follow the directions on the sticker in the backbox.

I assume you meant online-updates. You need to register your game with Stern as part of the network setup and for that, you need an IC account. Doesn't necessarily have to be your account, just an account that you have access to so you can verify during the process.

#17358 1 year ago
Quoted from splickety_lit:

So who really knows what was going on, but I'm glad I can finally play the game without flipper issues now.
[quoted image]

Very likely a small burr on either the coil sleeve or coil plunger. The spring was forcing the coil (and sleeve) just a bit harder against the plunger, and some burr/defect was catching just enough to keep it from releasing. Always a good idea to replace the sleeve when troubleshooting flipper issues, and carefully looking at the plunger for scratches, dents, etc. and replace if needed.

The other possibility was a slight misalignment between coil and stop. Loosen your coil stop slightly, settle the coil by moving the flipper and releasing a few times, then retighten. As you installed the flat spring a couple times and saw repeat behavior, this cause is less likely in my opinion as your reinstallation was unlikely to consistenly get misalignment.

1 week later
#17609 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I’m looking at mezel , lermod, and mod father and the pinside shops

IMHO, the 3 most important mods for GZ are the same as any other Spike 2 game: shaker, invisiglass, and Precision Flip.

As for GZ-specific mods, the Chrome Candy metal pieces are nearly mandatory, especially the plastic over the captive Newton ball. This plastic will break on a premium. Best to remove it and replace with metal. The Stumblor Scoop sign is probably the best cosmetic mod for GZ, and there's a long wait list for this as a result. I can also recommend the Mezel back-wall buildings. They're a significant improvement over the premium/LE flat-panel riveted plastics, though quite pricey for the full set.

Personally, I'd start with Precision Flip and a Shaker motor.

#17628 1 year ago

Has anyone installed Pinstadium lights in GZ? If so, to what flasher (or other circuit) did you connect the UV-effects? Thanks.

#17634 1 year ago
Quoted from scootss:

Thanks for the link. It's clear now, but happy to give some suggestions.
To make it more clear, I would suggest adding it to the flamin' frames instruction manual. The manual only says "plug the AC power from the power transformer connection on the game. If you had a link to the page you just posted in the manual, it would be much more clear.

Too funny. I posted the exact same suggestion with the exact same picture when Dug asked me the exact same question. I spent 45 minutes googling for the location of the power plug as Dug's instructions weren't clear to me, as apparently they weren't clear to you, either.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/16#post-6970877

#17643 1 year ago

Light Blue Titans.

IMG_2295 (resized).JPGIMG_2295 (resized).JPG
#17656 1 year ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

Yeah if you try to hook it up to a shaker you will get an overcurrent warning and then the shaker and the flasher will not work. I'm very happy with the flasher hooked up to the maser Cannon flasher.

Is this confirmed? The UV circuit connection on the PinStadium control board is just a sensor, there's no appreciable power draw through that circuit. I note others have said they have connected to this the shaker.

I tried the UV on the Maser Flasher, and it's on way-too much for my taste. This includes lighting up the UV strips about 1/3 of the time in attract mode. Whenever there's any current to the Maser flasher, the UV strips light up, including when that flasher is turned on dimly for overall lighting effects. I'd much prefer very sparing use of the UV strips, and the shaker motor seems ideal, actually (including the fact I can adjust how often the shaker activates).

#17669 1 year ago
Quoted from NoDisclaimer:

Have you tried the mothra flasher.

Funny thing, I was just looking at the game cycle through attract modes to see if there's any sparsely-used lights, and I saw exactly this light as a possible candidate. I'll give it a try.

I also got an overcurrent error when I plug the sensor into the shaker motor connection. Has anyone successfully gotten the shaker motor to trigger the UV lights flasher on the PinStadiums? Thanks again.

#17748 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

Well I got my first real issue with my new premium; left slingshot is totally unresponsive. Kinda bummed the tech just left my house tonight and I did not realize this … oooof epic fail
I have limited knowledge however leaf switch gap looks good spacing is similar to slingshot that’s working . So I don’t think it’s a leaf switch gap issue Atleast…
Does anyone mind helping through the next steps to troubleshoot/fix?
Thank you so much appreciate the wisdom and help

Go into the switch test mode and confirm that both the upper and lower leaf switches in the slingshot are properly working. The first thing I'd suspect is one of those 2 switches is reading as "closed".

#17761 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

The first thing I'd suspect is one of those 2 switches is reading as "closed".

Quoted from BrokenChair:

Ok I have an update! I put it into test mode on the screen it didn’t say anything is open or closed when I tapped the slingshot and switches and nothing happened :
So then i stretched the rubber band out more and then the switches started registering

Called it! I'm a Christmas Pinball Savant. j/k

This is the issue 90% of the time. Adjust the gap open on the leaf switches. Easy peasy. This is common and needed on many NIB games.

1 month later
#18650 1 year ago
Quoted from king_pin:

I've just created my Thingiverse account now and I've uploaded these two models. It will be online in 24 hours and I'll post the links to the Thingiverse pages as soon as they are live.

Fabulous work, thank you very much! Looks great!

#18745 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Id love to know as well as i have to install the same slippers soon. How hard was the install?

If you name is Cinderella, the slipper install should go pretty smoothly. Otherwise, there's definite issues with fitment. You'll probably have to squeeze things quite a bit.

#18767 1 year ago

Precision Flip Halos have a new color, looks great with GZ.

6ED8EC23-CB5D-493C-A300-7A72CCD086EF (resized).jpeg6ED8EC23-CB5D-493C-A300-7A72CCD086EF (resized).jpegDDF60145-550F-4D11-871A-0107E6280801 (resized).jpegDDF60145-550F-4D11-871A-0107E6280801 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 125.88
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ChainsawMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DiabloRush.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club?tu=DiabloRush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.