gdz opto receiver (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_215256_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1439 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408-172718 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240408-172819 (resized).png
IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5052 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1374 Removing the ugly Insider sticker on the backbox. Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1795 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Magnet swing adjustments Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #3000 Register Your Game With Insider Connected Posted by TrixTrix (2 years ago)

Post #3546 TECH:LIGHTING. Backbox brightness adjustment PSA Posted by Chisox (2 years ago)

Post #4481 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Building stepper adjustment settings Posted by Palmer (2 years ago)

Post #6364 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bridge and Building adjustments Posted by koops (2 years ago)

Post #6745 MOD: Flame Speaker light kit Posted by DugFreez (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#198 2 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Managed to secure a LE thanks to a local Pinsider that was actually willing to sell at a reasonable price. Screw all these greedy flippers that are just looking to milk everyone dry.

Yeah, screw those guys!
(Comment expiration date: good until I decide to sell my game.)

3 weeks later
#490 2 years ago

WOOT!!!!!
(Unboxing will take place after work. Will be a painful few hours.)

GZLE (resized).jpgGZLE (resized).jpg
#503 2 years ago
Quoted from mahony:

Hope that fraudster in this thread doesn't try to use your serial number in his devious world domination plot to get some LE sideart!!

He’s welcome to use mine if it helps. LE#1001.
; )

#533 2 years ago
Quoted from ShinyNick:

Suck it Drew! (Chambahz )

ShinyNick: the only guy I know who brags about “finishing first”
Lol
Congrats my pinball GZLE brother! Enjoy your game.
Mine’s all moved in, just need to level it and get playing!

#552 2 years ago

Just finished playing a couple hours on the LE and didn’t have any magnet issues.
Couldn’t make many shots I was aiming for, but the magnet was definitely not an issue!

#561 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Any LE unboxing pics?

Sorry, I didn't take any more after receiving my game. Then ShinyNick did a great job with his unboxing stuff so I focused on moving the game in, setting it up, then putting some games on it.
First thing's first: Keith Elwin is a fraud!
My game didn't play anywhere NEAR as smooth as when he played it on the release video!
: )
Love the variety of shots. Thought I'd be in love with the ramps/ball returns, but I think I enjoyed hitting the mechagodzilla spinner the most. Not sure if it's heavier than normal, but it spins forever on a clean shot. I found the left ramp was much more difficulty to hit than I expected but so rewarding when you do. Managed to loop the right orbit from the upper flipper only twice. Still trying to figure that one out. So... many... misses...
My buddy trapped the ball on the left flipper and tried to see how a post pass would work. The ball hopped straight into the right outlane. So... we didn't post pass after that.
Great game overall. Still figuring out the rules but I like what I see so far. Elwin's a genius. If a player has 2 balls locked in the tower and another player locks a ball, the tower lifts up so that the ball just continues to flow along the ramp. I thought that was really neat.
Looking forward to getting more games in on this one and figuring out what to do using the Insider Connected app.
Everything just lined up today. I woke up and checked email before the morning rituals and saw an email from my distributor one minute after he sent it, telling me the game would be in today. My brother was able to pick it up nice and early and bring it on by, while I was working away from home.
Only reason I'm explaining this is because I feel so fortunate not to have had a heads up on this one. I wouldn't have slept a wink last night.
It's worth the wait fellas! Hang in there. They're on their way and your city wont be the same once it arrives!

#588 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do you think it would have been make able if they used the aiq banana ramp?

I think you guys will lose interest in that shot being makeable from the upper flipper once you understand the code better. When you flip the upper left flipper, it’s usually for something more special than just another right ramp shot.
If the ball is held by the magnet, you usually want to hit the repeatable loop for big points. Also, the lower “tail whip” shot that goes a little lower, into the mechagodzilla area. To spend that flip on a regular right ramp shot would be considered a waste.
My two cents anyway.

Love this game. It’s still very challenging and game times are mostly short. One thing that I appreciate is how many fun shots there are. Like, it’s far too easy to ignore score and strategy and just try for the spinner under the left flipper, or to aim for ramp combos, or upper flipper loops.

#594 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No, the ball just seems to lose energy. You can make it halfway up the ramp all day long from the upper flipper. But besides multiball jackpots, I wouldn't be aiming from the ramp from there anyway.
I'm aiming for loops, tailwhip, or mechzilla target.

Confirmed that you CAN make the right ramp from the upper flipper!
(This is in no way a claim that I did so intentionally)

#597 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I just got Godzilla pro, connected it to the Wi-Fi, tested the connection, and still I can’t get it to scan my QR code. Is there something I am missing?

You have to register the pin first.

#612 2 years ago

How genius is this???
It's the left ramp entrance. It's another corkscrew type that's hidden off the back of the playfield, where the ball goes up the ramp then comes back towards the player, returning to the playfield.
What I find so cool is that this would be fun to see but instead of having it visible, Elwin uses it just to save space (my assumption, since it saves from having a ramp that winds all around to accomplish the same end result).
Once again, he's using playfield space so well that it allows him to have a really full-featured game that's still very wide open, with lots of shots that don't feel cramped.
Love his designs. Anyone complaining about pinball not being innovative needs to find something new to complain about.

Not to discredit the Pro version at all (as I expect that's a Hell of a game too) but the MechaGodzilla turntable is similar to the Bloodbath target bank from Walking Dead. That spinner feels super rewarding to hit. It spins forever if you hit it well. It can be backhanded from the right flipper, and that target bank is great. Deadly far too often, sending the ball into the left outlane. (FYI: if you need to hit the top target, sometimes you can let the ball roll off the upper left flipper and glance it. You're welcome!)

65652548102__02453E72-64B4-435C-9775-1A3A07686EBF (resized).jpg65652548102__02453E72-64B4-435C-9775-1A3A07686EBF (resized).jpg
#622 2 years ago
Quoted from Thefuge:

Does anyone know if this game has CO OP play?

No coop modes at this time. Looks like there may be more to come under the alternate play modes.

#642 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

How does that foil cab or look in person?

I think it's fantastic.

#675 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Its slight and not a big deal, probably just a setting.

I left everything at stock settings and hadn't noticed anything different regarding the flippers. Weird.

#679 2 years ago

Another design option that I really appreciate is how Elwin has used the shooter lane on this one. Some previous titles had space reserved for the ball to travel up the side, all the way to the back of the game. That takes an inch or two of the playfield out of play after ball launch, it seems? With Godzilla, the only dedicated shooter lane area is actually quite short (it goes past the slings by a couple inches, but then the ball drops down into the Mechagodzilla lane before veering along the ball guide, working its way to the center of the play field/left side upper flipper/bridge area). The benefit to this is that the whole Mechagodzilla toy was placed a little further away from the center of the game, opening up the play field even more.

#682 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Anyone run into issue with ball rattling near mecha-Godzilla coming out of the shooter lane once in a while stopping the momentum for the skill shot? I am not saying anything mutch out of place on my Pro or a way to adjust that path of travel?

Yes, definitely. The "staple"/return ball guide for the mechagodzilla shot can cause the ball to rattle if you plunge a little soft.
Try changing the incline on your game just a hair. I was at 6.4-6.5 and changed it to 6.6
I turned the game off, manually popped a ball into the shooter lane, then adjusted the pitch and tried a number of times until it was acceptable.
It's still not perfect but is much improved.
The other thing I tweaked (though not entirely related) was the shooter lane ramp. The pointy edge on the right (nearest the screw that secures it) was just a tad lower than the metal piece that it should sit on, so that seemed to cause a little chaos every now and again as well. I loosened the screw and tweaked that pointy edge just a little so that there's no lip anymore. (Just applied a little pressure and lifted it up so that it's straight/level with the rest of the ramp. I think it may have been bent down when the screw was possibly overtightened?)

The only thing I've considered (but not yet tried), is moving the shooter rod ever so slightly to the left so that the ball is launched to the right side of that path, along the wall. It seems perfectly centered at the moment though so not sure I want to mess with it. Still on the fence and spending more time just enjoying the game.

#734 2 years ago

Elwin Sighting?

IMG_0421 (resized).jpgIMG_0421 (resized).jpgIMG_0422 (resized).jpgIMG_0422 (resized).jpg
#804 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

you are missing the point. Cheers.

I think he’s bang-on, personally.
You can start either the Godzilla/building multiball or the mechagodzilla multiball without too much difficulty, but it’s best to tie them into modes if you plan on achieving any kind of progress.
Plus, like well walker multiball on TWD, it’s not about how easy it is to start, it’s how well/when you use them that’s the key.
If you look at everything that needs to be accomplished to get to wizard mode, I expect you’ll start each of those multiballs a couple/few times (at least).
This is brilliant because lesser players can enjoy a mecha multiball and/or a Godzilla/building multiball without having to shoot both ramps, then struggle with the scoop, etc.

#814 2 years ago

The rules at tiltforums are pretty helpful.
I’d say a great initial strategy is to qualify and lock 1 or two balls into the building, then Shoot ramps to start the jet fighter hurry ups, and complete 5 jets in order to light “collect ally”. (You can apparently also make (?) repeated loop shots to light ally as well).
Trap the ball on the left flipper. Select the Anguirus ally using the right flipper. Shoot scoop using left flipper, without hitting right flipper again (changing ally by accident).
Collect Anguirus. Start gaiju battle. Lock remaining balls into building ASAP.
Multiball starts while you’re battling gaiju. Hit the lock bar button as soon as you drain to 1 ball, Anguirus ally buff restarts the multiball.
If you complete the gaiju battle, the “Raid” insert (Monster Monitor inserts in the Center of the playfield) will be lit solid.
You can now shoot the scoop to change cities if you wish to progress through four cities to “Planet X” mini-wizard mode, or remain in the same city, aiming for complete destruction (requires bridge completion, tanks, and the Power/Tesla strike modes)

Hope that’s useful?

Edit: Forgot to mention that while in the Godzilla/Building multiball, make sure to hit the Mechagodzilla spinner for add a ball!

#829 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Interesting. See mine. It seems mine is closer to the newton ball. I was actually thinking of moving mine out a little like yours BBC I feel like during the Loop shot the ball goes too far away from the top left flipper (only when it comes around fast) and it’s hard to reach it. Do you ever experience that with yours?
What does everyone else lane look like? Wonder what is the correct angle?
[quoted image]

Help me understand what the ball guide nearest the Newton ball has to do with the orbit shot (or or you addressing two different things here?)
I’ve experienced the same “ball comes around on a fast loop, away from the upper flipper” as well. Would be great to better understand the root cause of that and be able to address it.

#844 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Maybe 1/3 of the time, mine rattles in that area, but more if I'm giving it enough power to do the skill shot that goes behind the upper flipper. Haven't looked into it yet.

Yeah, I'm considering maybe moving the plunger over to the left just a little such that it shoots the ball along the ride side lane guide?
Haven't done any major alterations yet as I'm still just trying to figure everything out and will likely let the game settle in a bit more before changing anything.
If anyone finds a way to tweak that shot, please share!

#862 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Has anyone moved the flippers from the stock "flopping down" position, to being level with the ball return guides?

Ha! Hadn’t really noticed that, but I’ve certainly noticed that trapping the ball is more difficult than on most other pins.
Just checked and yes, flippers do look lower than normal but they are pointing directly at the little dimples in the playfield so appear as though they’re right where they ought to be.

#887 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

For those LE owners who have already received the machine and put some quality games in...what are your impressions? I would love to hear more about the Premium/LE features like the building, bridge, and mechagodzilla! I have an early run Premium on order and want to hear your gameplay impressions. Is the building mech awesome?

The building mech is awesome, but I think that because I was expecting it to be awesome, I was more impressed with the mechagodzilla spinning mech.
So much awesome on this game. I love, love, love the ramps! They’re not easy to hit (though I’m getting better), so combos are very satisfying.

#898 2 years ago
Quoted from Drain-O:

I noticed how much harder the left ramp was to nail this last weekend on a Pro at Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown. One thing I remembered about the building mech was that it raises and lowers and diverts the ball to different ramps based on how high it is. I was wondering what makes it raise and lower, and if you can get more left/right inlane shots on a Premium/LE because of the raising/lowering combined with that right ramp being easier to hit?

One thing you can do (props to MapleSyrup for showing me this, last weekend!) is to lock a ball, then start your Gigan battle (to beat him, you need 8 ramp shots). Get the ball to your left flipper and then repeat that right ramp which will keep diverting to your left flipper. MUCH easier than trying for combo left/right ramp shots.
I hit it 6 times in a row. Saw him hit 8 in a row, easily defeating Gigan.

Question: how long after receiving the game do I have to wait before I can say how utterly awesome it is, without being perceived as still being in the honeymoon phase? There’s so many fun aspects to this title. Progress through a city for full destruction, progress through the various cities as quickly as possible with minimal destruction, focus on # of buildings you can destroy, build towards a wicked Godzilla multiball (collect ally for add a ball and only use it after getting the add a ball from the mechagodzilla spinner) then build as big a destruction jackpot as possible… or just focus on that super satisfying Tesla spinner for a big payout? There’s also an insert for mechagodzilla, possibly indicating another mini wizard mode somehow related to that super-fun mechanism!
Not even sure how to start Rampage. Insert points to the shot under the upper left flipper but is rarely lit. Not sure how to start that?

#934 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

well whomever it was that said Premiums were on the line was accurate . so they Put them priority to get premiums to shows . so the people who were made to shell out their money for the LE Early could fund these premiums to bring to shows it seems .
you know the rob peter to pay Paul thingy.. Thanks Stern
Well hope they push the premiums out so i can get my LE i paid for loooong ago,,
Stern Business practices get better everyday like our govt does

SHAME ON STERN FOR MAKING GAMES THEY TAKE TO EXPO!!!!
SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!
For letting hundreds of people experience this game and making a few wait another... hour? (Since Stern can make about 70 games each day?)
/s

#1025 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

Just setup Insider Connected, looking at the code on it, says .79 installed but on Stern site says .80 is current. When the machine looks for latest update it is saying .79 is current. Anyone else seeing this?

Yes. Did you register your machine yet? Should be good to go shortly thereafter (within a few minutes but maybe not immediately).

#1069 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

That's a bummer since missing Mecha/Scoop shots from the left flipper can be super dangerous. Is it the ramp causing rejects?

Confirming that you absolutely can backhand that shot (and with good speed) at 6.5

#1094 2 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Frickin’ amazing!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Told ya!

#1099 2 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I’m not a deep rules researcher. I’ve just never played a game where the ball can take so many different lines and end up in so many different places. Just when you think you know what to expect it peaks it’s head out from somewhere else. It’s an amazing use of the playfield.
I’ve never been this awe struck over a new game and I’ve had many NIB games in the past 10 years.
Godzilla. Over the top. Maybe the best ever? Anyone?
Honeymoon I’m sure but, it’s killer

Look at the playfield design. No used space for 3 pop bumpers somewhere, just to “pop”. Mechagodzilla mech is so far off to the right, Elwin shared the path behind it with the shooter lane. Left ramp entrance folds back on itself instead of stretching around, saving space.
And with all the extra space, he has room for more unique shots.

#1100 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Suggestion for a future code update.
When shooting the loop for the destruction jackpot, make it 2x or 3x if you combo it into the tail whip shot!

I did see something about the tail whip shot being with twice the points if you combo it, as described.
Dunno if the destruction jackpot is affected though.

#1104 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

There are ways to multiply the destruction jackpot. Not sure exactly how I got it to 3X earlier today.

Hmmm… score multipliers don’t seem to work on my game. Must be a code bug.

#1124 2 years ago
Quoted from RoyalJack:

Godzilla LE #17 has landed! 1st of all this is THE BEST Stern I've ever played. Instant classic. I was sad to see upon inspection that my left side art blade was damaged upon arrival. Distributor hoping to get resolved with Stern asap. What do you guys think?
It was really depressing to see the damaged art. My real concern is the bare wood I see.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Personally, I'd take the lazy way out and take a Sharpie to that wood area. Doubt you'd even notice it after that unless you were looking for it.

#1211 2 years ago

Does anyone know how to cycle through all the top records in the game?
ie: GC, and High Scores 1-5 are displayed in attract mode and can be cycled through using the flipper buttons.
What about "Most Consecutive Loops", and other achievements that the game records?

#1267 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

And in his presentation at Expo he said they have something planned for code that's a bit different than anything they've done before. Looking forward to it!!!

Is there any transcript of the talk or anything by chance?
I'd love to hear more details.

Edit: FYI for anyone interested, the reference above is in relation to an alternate play mode that’s planned for Godzilla, like the Escape Nublar mode in Jurassic Park.

#1325 2 years ago
Quoted from RoyalJack:

I got a new GC of 701M last night on my LE (With the glass ON) lol. How does that stack up?

Mine’s only 621M and I’ve had the game a couple weeks. My buddy has over a billion if that helps at all. Both settings are stock.
I managed to nail 10 consecutive upper loops in the event you need an ego check.

#1433 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Maybe I just don't know where to shoot, but I've been mid-battle with some monsters, and sitting there holding the ball with no lit shots. So it feels like I'm done, but ramp shots don't light the scoop, and I think I can hear him counting down (so I'm still in the battle), but no lit shots to shoot at. Is this a code issue, or am I just not getting creative enough in looking for where to shoot it? Just happened a couple of times.

Which Kaiju battle? For Ebira, it’s the three spinners and then the pop bumper (which I don’t find so obvious looking when scanning for a lit lane!).

#1564 2 years ago
Quoted from El_Patron:

Anyone using chrome steel balls and any thought or experience if they will get magnetized in this game?

Magnet use in this game is HUGE. I wouldn't use those.

#1874 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

I'm getting loads of shots up the right ramp, that roll back down and SDTM.
Most come from the upper flipper missing the loop and going up the ramp, but also some of the fly shots that just don't have enough juice end up rolling back down and draining.
Is this the design of the game, or is mine off?

On mine, a partial right ramp is extremely likely to SDTM. If the ball makes it most of the way up, it’s usually a much more forgiving outcome.

#1977 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Godzilla is #1. At least this week

Check out the ratings, sorted from low to high, INCLUDING those without comments.
It’s sad and pathetic that some “grown men” will purposefully tank the overall score by leaving a 1, for example when they score their own “non-Stern” titles at a 10.
You know you need to get a life when…

#2136 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Is it just me and Rarehero with the upper flipper loop issue on LEs? Can anyone get a bunch of continuous loops or does the ball leave the path?

Depends on how the ball is hit on mine. Initially, my loops record was 3. Then my buddy was over and got 5. Couldn't understand why I couldn't top 3, then had a game where I made 10 in a row. Since then, pretty much back in the 3 range.
I had noticed that if the ball is really ripping around the loop at top speed, it's more likely to come away from the flipper. When I hit the 10, the ball was just making its way around at a decent pace, certainly not top speed.
So not sure if tweaking the loop/ball guide would improve this, or if it's just by design.

#2161 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

No this isn't that. The other machines i've played the loops get faster and faster with each successive loop.
What we are talking about here is loops getting sloppier after 1 or 2 passes at best to the point the bounce off the rail and over the flipper. Your talking about 11 loops and we're over here with 3 (if web get lucky). You're not that much better than us
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"31bc0c9a100bb4ae56121da8d60714c1bccdace9-1636549082-1800"};
//]]>

His explanation mirrors my experience as well. Typically it’s tough to make more than a couple loops. Once the ball speeds up, it can come away from the flipper. But I have hit 10 consecutive loops so it’s not impossible.

#2437 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I find that I'm having trouble lighting more than one Kaiju Battle. Sometimes I fail a Battle and then its re-lit at the scoop automatically, but other times I feel like I beat the Battle and I can't re-light it by shooting the ramps, like I'd expect. Is there more to it? What am I missing?

I believe that after you beat a Kaiju battle the scoop will light to change cities. You then have a decision to make: do you continue with the remaining objectives in the current city, or move to a new city and take on another Kaiju battle etc?

1 week later
#3144 2 years ago

If anyone's suffering from a clunky shooter lane (lighter shots seem to bounce off the right wall, then exit the ramp into the mechagodzilla mechanism), I suggest the following:
tweak the ramp. Undo the screw that's visible. Then go under the playfield and undo the nut that secures the ramp in place. Remove the nut and washer and you can then life the ramp off the playfield.
Make sure that you align the edge of the ramp to the metal bracket/wall/return lane that it sits on and then tighten the screw back in just enough to secure it. Don't overtighten it or you may affect the height of the ramp and the way the ball exits.
Once that's tightened, put the nut back on underneath the playfield and give it a try.

#3172 2 years ago
Quoted from Txcoastal1:

Call me stupid but what exactly is the tail whip. Is it directional? I had a great game and in total 1 tail whip...(great game for me w/350mil)...I still suck...don't judge me LOL
Still asking about tail whip incase I have an issue with a switch etc...
Thanks in advance

The insert that says tail whip points to the lane above mechagodzilla (also the shooter lane exit).
It's my understanding that if you make an upper loop and chain it into the tailwhip shot, that you score double.

#3176 2 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

Yes my soft plunges are clunky AF. If you figure it out please let me know

I would start by checking to ensure the shooter rod is centered. Then check to see if the plunger tip is on straight. (Twist the shooter rod to see if the tip looks like it's wobbling). If those are both good, the next step I would check is to ensure a medium+ powered plunge has the ball rocketing past mechagodzilla, likely hitting the bridge, give or take.
If that's all happening, and you're just seeing lightly plunged balls hitting the right wall, then bouncing left into Mechagodzilla, I would suggest it's all to do with that ramp.
I had luck today by removing mine, using a pair of needle nose pliers, covering the ramp with a cloth to avoid scratching it, and then straightening the bend in it. Then I bent it back, but not perpendicular to the ball path. I started the bend on the left side a little lower than on the right side. The idea being that as the ball travels up the ramp, it would have more resistance from the right side, keeping it off that right wall.
Hope that's useful? (ie: bend the ramp at about a 30 degree angle. and only a very slight bend.)

#3207 2 years ago
Quoted from JP76:

To tell your customers to wait until August 2022 for a game that was just announced is ridiculous. If you can’t get product to your customers faster than that, maybe you have overcommitted your production capabilities.

They literally created a new pin that has people going bananas, ordering way more than Stern can produce in the near term. They never promised anything to anyone unless I'm mistaken?

If you think this is bad, you should see what's happening to graphics cards for PCs.

It's really a half full/half empty scenario. Waiting is frustrating of course but a better game is ultimately worth the wait at the end of the day and I hope to see Stern continue stepping up its game with groundbreaking new games like GZ.

2 years later
#25364 4 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok Opto issues...
These are being manufactured POORLY and I got a bad one from Stern (the original that failed) and one from Pinball Life that did the same thing.
Looked at the solder joints on the opto LED reciever and transmitter, some monkey fisted dyke jockey had dyked the leades off AFTER soldering them, taking the mainstay of the solder filet with it, and leaving the most thin actual mechanical joint possible, one that will crack very easily. It also leaves two dis-similar metals exposed to air/moisture which will cause galvanic corrosion and cause the joint to fail early. Reflowing mine BEFORE installing them the first time solved my issues. But I actually added some more solder, and made sure the tip of my iron actually touched the LED lead and let it sit there a couple of seconds letting the joint stabilize and allow all the solder in the joint, including the solder on the oposite side of the board to liquify.
Since the masked dyker has cut most of the lead off, nearly to the surface of the circuit board, that leaves very little lead to form a proper filet, but do the best you can.
Just rember these US Navy soldering tips:
Did you clean it? Clean your solder, your iron tip, and the board and component leads with isopropyl alchohol and dry them off prior to heating up.
Use flux sparingly... flux oxidizes dirt, but too much causes problems too.
Solder flows from hot to hotter, if you want the solder to flow, you need to keep heat on the joint until it all liquifies, and it will travel towards the hottest thing. If that is the LED lead (because your tip is touching it) the solder will flow to both sides of the board. This makes sure it connects electically as well as mechanically.
CONCAVE FILETS ONLY... solder blobs can hide major defects.
Cut the leads PRIOR to soldering them. Measure the lead length past the board surface and make sure it sticks through just enough to create a good concave filet. Do not cut off the excess lead unleass you tin the exposed copper by hitting it with one last wave of the iron.
Did you clean it? Clean off all flux residue after you are finished. Flux causes oxidation, flux residue can eventually cause the joint to fail. Use isopropyl until all flux is gone.
These soldering tips brought to you by the US Navy and Bublehead, the original pinball submarine bubblehead.

So are you playing Godzilla then?!?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
$ 210.00
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club?tu=Chambahz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.