gdz opto receiver (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_215256_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1439 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408-172718 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240408-172819 (resized).png
IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5052 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27,335 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 547.
#301 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Guns and Roses.

LoL

#302 2 years ago

Yeah GnR no way. Kaneda over hyped that one big time (and still does).

And I own the game! It’s good but no way is it one of the best ever. Not even close. Regardless, as someone mentioned, I’m not talking about hype but genuine praise for a game. It’s really nice to see on here.

#303 2 years ago

Hey--

I need a favor from someone that owns a Godzilla. My son made this awesome mod for BBH a while back, and by some random luck there's a UFO pop bumper on Godzilla too. I'd like to get a picture of a game with it on it, so I need a volunteer who might want one for free in exchange for a photo for my son's listing. Thanks! Send me a PM if you're interested.

bbh ufo mod (resized).pngbbh ufo mod (resized).png
#304 2 years ago

This is the best first impression for a game I have had since Iron Maiden. It is harder than Maiden though IMO. The shots are punishing if you miss them but so rewarding if you don't. There is a bit more leeway with Maiden for errant shots.

The code, even at .7* is already outstanding. Can't wait to see it polished up. There needs to be some QoL changes in regards the info on the screen IMO. Hopefully, like AIQ, that will come with an update.

#306 2 years ago

Ordered mine, will be received end of october.

#307 2 years ago

anyone with the pinball machine take a photo of the MPU in the backbox? keen to see the wifi part of it. (sorry I'm a network geek). I'm in on an LE but expect it won't be here in the UK until November.

#308 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

And I own the game! It’s good but no way is it one of the best ever. Not even close. Regardless, as someone mentioned, I’m not talking about hype but genuine praise for a game. It’s really nice to see on here.

Ah Delt you need to get or spend some time in a dark room with a GnR CE man.
Special K got the hype right on this one.
Game is Killer,
GnR CE Destroys my 3 High end Stern LE's that I have dialed in and pimped out perfectly and modestly.
The only angle Stern wins at the moment is you can play for hours with no heat stress.
JJP really struggles in the heat department.

I am in on Godzilla as am a huge fan of KME, Rick and Tanio, I know that they will deliver a next level modern kil;ler title.
due to lack of space may have to reluctantly let MetLE find a new home

grrrrr (resized).jpggrrrrr (resized).jpg
#309 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

anyone with the pinball machine take a photo of the MPU in the backbox? keen to see the wifi part of it. (sorry I'm a network geek). I'm in on an LE but expect it won't be here in the UK until November.

Im really excited for the Spike 3 tech.
Is that what its called ?

or is there a new generation name ?

#310 2 years ago

Got to play a good half-dozen games on the Pro down at ULEKstore's place in Monroe, MI yesterday.

First impressions;

The Good:

- Damn does this thing shoot nice! Yet another awesome Elwin layout.
- The left ramp shot isn't the easiest to make, but very satisfying when you nail it.
- Upper flipper loop is easier than most to rip repeatedly.
- Artwork totally works in the pinball setting. Everything is bright and fun to look at. Made the Wonka sitting next to it look dull.
- Movie clips/Animations are spot on. Especially love the Replay and the Tilt ones.
- "Stern Announcer" callouts are great. Totally deadpan, but quite humorous

The Bad:

- The little wireform just above the upper flipper isn't wide enough to register everything that goes past. I can't count how many times I got the super skill shot, but wasn't awarded it because I snuck the ball between that wireform and the top of the upper flipper.
- Fonts matter. The simple Arial text for all the scoring/display up on the LCD doesn't match anything else on the game. Looks phoned in.
- There's a second voiceover guy that interjects along with the "Announcer" guy. Second guy sucks. Sounds like a Danny DeVito sound-alike. What the hell is DeVito doing in a Godzilla pin? Totally takes you out of the moment...

The Ugly:

- Magnet heat. When my brother and I got there, someone was already playing. We tripled up, and played a couple more games. During our gameplay, the magnet started holding weakly, and then not holding at all. We left the game alone for a bit to let it cool down. When we came back after about 15~20 mins, the first game it worked normally, but subsequent games had the same behavior. Hoping that they can solve this with code, as there were several grabs where I felt it held the ball wayyyy too long, just to show an animation/clip. Other knock was you couldn't hit both flippers to cancel, so that could be coded in to help reduce magnet time.

Overall, Godzilla is a gigantic win! I am so glad I decided to pull the trigger on a Premium. Now, like Tom Petty said, "the waiting is the hardest part".

Later,
EV

P.S. Big shout out the Dave and the ULEKstore arcade. Great location in Monroe, MI. About 20 pins, all in great condition. A lot of newer Stern Pros, but had a few old school classics (like a Meteor), and even a AP Hot Wheels. Highly recommended for a visit!

#311 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Well, Iron Maiden was loved as well, just saying. I played Godzilla this past weekend, and it seems like a great game, but it's just like Elwin's other games, in that nothing is quite unique about it. Having said that, it's great that people dig it.

#312 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Already posted in the stern insider thread - just a simple usb wifi dongle

#313 2 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Ah Delt you need to get or spend some time in a dark room with a GnR CE man.
Special K got the hype right on this one.
Game is Killer,
GnR CE Destroys my 3 High end Stern LE's that I have dialed in and pimped out perfectly and modestly.
The only angle Stern wins at the moment is you can play for hours with no heat stress.
JJP really struggles in the heat department.
I am in on Godzilla as am a huge fan of KME, Rick and Tanio, I know that they will deliver a next level modern kil;ler title.
due to lack of space may have to reluctantly let MetLE find a new home[quoted image]

Glad you're loving it! I enjoy it as well no doubt - I usually play in the dark which I agree - is the way to play this.

I just don't think the hype matched reality but I was always in as a big GnR fan. I just wish it was old material, not the new tour but I understand why.

#314 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Got to play a good half-dozen games on the Pro down at ULEKstore's place in Monroe, MI yesterday.
First impressions;
The Good:
- Damn does this thing shoot nice! Yet another awesome Elwin layout.
- The left ramp shot isn't the easiest to make, but very satisfying when you nail it.
- Upper flipper loop is easier than most to rip repeatedly.
- Artwork totally works in the pinball setting. Everything is bright and fun to look at. Made the Wonka sitting next to it look dull.
- Movie clips/Animations are spot on. Especially love the Replay and the Tilt ones.
- "Stern Announcer" callouts are great. Totally deadpan, but quite humorous
The Bad:
- The little wireform just above the upper flipper isn't wide enough to register everything that goes past. I can't count how many times I got the super skill shot, but wasn't awarded it because I snuck the ball between that wireform and the top of the upper flipper.
- Fonts matter. The simple Arial text for all the scoring/display up on the LCD doesn't match anything else on the game. Looks phoned in.
- There's a second voiceover guy that interjects along with the "Announcer" guy. Second guy sucks. Sounds like a Danny DeVito sound-alike. What the hell is DeVito doing in a Godzilla pin? Totally takes you out of the moment...
The Ugly:
- Magnet heat. When my brother and I got there, someone was already playing. We tripled up, and played a couple more games. During our gameplay, the magnet started holding weakly, and then not holding at all. We left the game alone for a bit to let it cool down. When we came back after about 15~20 mins, the first game it worked normally, but subsequent games had the same behavior. Hoping that they can solve this with code, as there were several grabs where I felt it held the ball wayyyy too long, just to show an animation/clip. Other knock was you couldn't hit both flippers to cancel, so that could be coded in to help reduce magnet time.
Overall, Godzilla is a gigantic win! I am so glad I decided to pull the trigger on a Premium. Now, like Tom Petty said, "the waiting is the hardest part".
Later,
EV
P.S. Big shout out the Dave and the ULEKstore arcade. Great location in Monroe, MI. About 20 pins, all in great condition. A lot of newer Stern Pros, but had a few old school classics (like a Meteor), and even a AP Hot Wheels. Highly recommended for a visit!

Assuming code can be opened up, first thing I'm doing is taking out that second announcer and replacing with something better. He's terrible. He was also terrible in JP.

I'm not going online with this so no worries about being "connected".

#315 2 years ago

We thinking LEs ship this week?

#316 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

This. I get made fun of by my pin friends for bringing this up, but it really screams laziness to me from a design standpoint. You get a few things like the Jackpot that shows up on Godzilla MB and it looks great, then everything goes back to Arial Bold that barely takes up 1/25 of the screen. Make things big and readable. Give it some style, it deserves it! At the very least, match the fonts that are on the playfield!

#317 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

This. I get made fun of by my pin friends for bringing this up, but it really screams laziness to me from a design standpoint. You get a few things like the Jackpot that shows up on Godzilla MB and it looks great, then everything goes back to Arial Bold that barely takes up 1/25 of the screen. Make things big and readable. Give it some style, it deserves it! At the very least, match the fonts that are on the playfield!

Still early 0.78 code. Let's hope they prioritized the functionality over the aesthetics and they will get to this in future releases.

#318 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Well, Iron Maiden was loved as well, just saying. I played Godzilla this past weekend, and it seems like a great game, but it's just like Elwin's other games, in that nothing is quite unique about it. Having said that, it's great that people dig it.

LOL, It has a building that colapses into the playfield and a bridge that also collapses. If that's not unique I don't know what is. Not trying to be a troll but what more do you want lol.

#319 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Unlike many of the prior games... no one in our days of play has complained about readability of the screen or the text in anyway.

#320 2 years ago

I played a ton of the pro yesterday and I love this game. I can already see some people loving the pro more than the premium due to the value. The building and the bridge are mostly dressing. The Mechagodzilla mech will make that mode a bit easier in the premium since it will face the targets at you. In the pro, one of the targets is at a difficult angle to hit. The magnet will need work as I experienced the overheat multiple times drying play where it just stopped working. Hopefully that can be addressed via code.

#321 2 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Still early 0.78 code. Let's hope they prioritized the functionality over the aesthetics and they will get to this in future releases.

I agree, lets hope. If they don't change it, it isn't a deal breaker. Just the main weak point for me, and I know most don't care about it. Just changing the font to match one on the playfield would go a long way IMO.

I was going to put mine out on location today but I am going to wait until they get the magnet situation sorted.

#322 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:anyone with the pinball machine take a photo of the MPU in the backbox? keen to see the wifi part of it. (sorry I'm a network geek). I'm in on an LE but expect it won't be here in the UK until November.

Is it a dongle or a chip on the board? I would have guessed they'd just update the boards with a chip. Are there any antennas? No rj45 I'm guessing?

#323 2 years ago
Quoted from mahony:

Yes, They were on the stern site somewhere stating they were coming soon, now I'm unable to find them.

Is it a dongle or a chip on the board? I would have guessed they'd just update the boards with a chip. Are there any antennas? No rj45 I'm guessing?

I'm glad its a USB dongle for the wifi. It makes it a much easier "fix" replacing it when antennas or the chip goes bad instead of having to get a whole new board. And its easier to upgrade if the technology changes for whatever reason. I've had to add dongles to Pis for that reason. I feel like they're more prone to wear.

#324 2 years ago
Quoted from Mark1971:

LOL, It has a building that colapses into the playfield and a bridge that also collapses. If that's not unique I don't know what is. Not trying to be a troll but what more do you want lol.

I think he was referring to the Pro model which he played and had neither of the features that you mentioned. The magnet captive ball is cool on the Pro but it's best feature is the great layout with 3 spinners. After playing it I would still rank it behind JP, but I think it is neck and neck with Maiden for my 2nd favorite KME game.

#325 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Assuming code can be opened up, first thing I'm doing is taking out that second announcer and replacing with something better. He's terrible. He was also terrible in JP.
I'm not going online with this so no worries about being "connected".

I'll for sure be placing Godzilla on a guest network with no access to my LAN. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy the connected aspect of the game, but it turns out that I'm hooked on the stats after about 25 games over 2 days at a show. I may even play games I don't enjoy as much just to acquire the achievements. I like the fact there is no APP required as well. If you go to a bar with a bunch of IC machines, you can just print out and tape the QR code to your forehead and use the forehead to glass method to log in.

#326 2 years ago
Quoted from mahony:

Simple USB dongle.

There is already ethernet on the board.

Updating the CPU creates region issues and doesn't offer cheap upgrades to existing games in the field.

#327 2 years ago

When is pinside gonna combine these threads? Games are in private homes now,,,

#328 2 years ago
Quoted from Mark1971:

I played the pro - no collapsing building.

#329 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

When is pinside gonna combine these threads? Games are in private homes now,,,

Pinside doesn't have a merge feature AFAIK

Two, this thread was made and labeled against the prior established rules for owner threads anyway...

Maybe ask why there needed to be a separate preorder thread and a hype thread before

#330 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I would argue that the way the magnet behaves is unique. I really like the way it tosses it up the left side to set up an upper flipper shot.

#331 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Simple USB dongle.
There is already ethernet on the board.
Updating the CPU creates region issues and doesn't offer cheap upgrades to existing games in the field.

Will you be able to connect to the internet with the ethernet port to access IC is what I should have asked? I assumed the rj45 ports were just used to connect boards.

I thought the Spike 2 CPU boards have different versions for other regions? Is that just to accommodate for power requirements? Forgive me I never really messed with the Spike 2 other than to update the code.

#332 2 years ago
Quoted from mahony:

Will you be able to connect to the internet with the ethernet port to access IC is what I should have asked? I assumed the rj45 ports were just used to connect boards.

Yes you can use wired ethernet.

ETA: I didn't check for ethernet on the board, but I think I saw it before. and was going from that memory. Wired ethernet is in the software configuration - but maybe will need a dongle to use. Im not in front of the game at the moment. Will look again tonight.

Quoted from mahony:

I thought the Spike 2 CPU boards have different versions for other regions? Is that just to accommodate for power requirements? Forgive me I never really messed with the Spike 2 other than to update the code.

The game can detect different power configs - but AFAIK there is no different SKU for the different regions. It's done through some provisioning. The point of the comment is putting radios as modules is common to compartmentalize a problem.

#333 2 years ago

I got to play GZ quite a bit this weekend, and I thought of a few more things after reading some comments....

* The LT ramp shot is pretty unique. It's essentially a shot to the LT orbit (aka subway shot) which leads to a very tall U-Turn ramp, which then feeds into the back LT side of the building. Never seen a U-turn ramp placed like that before. The long shot from the RT flipper has plenty of speed to make it up the U-Turn. But even if it doesn't make it up the U-Turn, the ball rolls back down the LT orbit to feed the LT upper flipper for a loop shot. That's pretty cool.

* You have the option to pick English or Japanese callouts at the start of the game. Whatever you choose, I'm pretty sure the Xiliens & news reporter speech is always in English. The option just applies to the 2nd annoying callout guy. If there is an option in the settings, I'll always set mine to Japanese.

* That MechaGZ area on the pro is pretty lethal with those permanent posts. Lots of quick reject shots back to the flippers. But I think the turning targets & spinner jump ramp on the Premium will actually play a lot better & be easier to hit your targets. I didn't see any hidden Gary Stern artwork on the Pro either, that must only be on the Premium/LE playfields.

* It wasn't really clear, but simply shooting the RT & LT ramps once lights the scoop for Kaiju Battles. I guess the sign lights on the buildings behind the ramps show this, but I didn't notice while playing.

Can't wait to get my Premium. There's going to be a lot of satisfied customers for this one.

#334 2 years ago

Played a few games on the pro yesterday and it's the best impression I've had from a new stern game since JP and I could easily see this rivaling Maiden as my favorite modern stern. The only question I have is, the shot between the magnet and the building that loops back through and comes out the building entrance....where is that supposed to hit? Because the game I played seemed nicely leveled but that shot was a straight down the middle drain about 95% of the time. Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised how fast IC read the QR codes but I'm not sure it adds a lot to the game. Certainly not going to convince me to play a game like LZ just to get achievements. Very curious to play the premium but i'm really not feeling like there's anything missing in the pro and if the premium slows the gameplay down at all I might actually prefer the pro.

#335 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhorn1:

Played a few games on the pro yesterday and it's the best impression I've had from a new stern game since JP and I could easily see this rivaling Maiden as my favorite modern stern. The only question I have is, the shot between the magnet and the building that loops back through and comes out the building entrance....where is that supposed to hit? Because the game I played seemed nicely leveled but that shot was a straight down the middle drain about 95% of the time. Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised how fast IC read the QR codes but I'm not sure it adds a lot to the game. Certainly not going to convince me to play a game like LZ just to get achievements. Very curious to play the premium but i'm really not feeling like there's anything missing in the pro and if the premium slows the gameplay down at all I might actually prefer the pro.

I noticed that on the streams. Most every time someone hit that shot left of the building, it came SDTM. Not sure if leveling has anything to do with it, but I was wondering if I should just avoid that shot.

#336 2 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

I noticed that on the streams. Most every time someone hit that shot left of the building, it came SDTM. Not sure if leveling has anything to do with it, but I was wondering if I should just avoid that shot.

The machine on the right side at the PAGG event seemed to come back down onto the right flipper, the machine on the left seemed to go STDM causing me to tilt frequently.

#337 2 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

I don't think it is 'intended' as a shot as it doesn't reward anything when you hit it as far as I can tell. Maybe they can add something later, but yeah, not a safe shot at all.

#338 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Already posted in the stern insider thread - just a simple usb wifi dongle

thanks!

#339 2 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

On the Pro (and when the building is fully raised on the Premium) the path to the LT of the building is the exit for the building entrance shot. It is an ultra fast loop that should quickly return the ball to RT flipper when you shoot into the building entrance. There's just a rollover switch there & no playfield inserts. You don't want to intentionally shoot into the exit area, because it's likely not going to give you a building hit & it's going to come screaming SDTM.

It will happen though when the ball is flying around. Gotta stay on your toes.

I'm guessing when the building is lowered on the Premium, a shot to the exit will get rejected & come back out the way it came.

#340 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I don't think it is 'intended' as a shot as it doesn't reward anything when you hit it as far as I can tell. Maybe they can add something later, but yeah, not a safe shot at all.

Pretty sure it awards a double super jackpot during godzilla multiball if super is lit.

#341 2 years ago

Time for Stern GODZILLA Unboxing video, hope you will enjoy it

#342 2 years ago
Quoted from bocce:

Pretty sure it awards a double super jackpot during godzilla multiball if super is lit.

Good to know

#343 2 years ago

PSA: check flipper coil sleeves before operating game. Our upper left coil was too short and within an hour stopped working. the flipper plunger was grinding on the bracket. Also if you add any coin blockers for tokens the coin door quality is subpar but at least the screws arent over tightened

#344 2 years ago
Quoted from Blindseer:

PSA: check flipper coil sleeves before operating game. Our upper left coil was too short and within an hour stopped working. the flipper plunger was grinding on the bracket. Also if you add any coin blockers for tokens the coin door quality is subpar but at least the screws arent over tightened

had the same issue on my lower right flipper, coil sleeve was there but not long enough to make it through the bracket on the other side as it should.

#345 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I know Neil really wants that picture...

20211011_202159- (resized).jpg20211011_202159- (resized).jpg

#346 2 years ago

Can't wait to join this club. I have a premium ordered but supposed to be early next year when I get it. Will be my first NIB.

#347 2 years ago

I managed to change to an LE from the premium. My vendor ended up with one additional in their allotment, and well, I couldn't stop myself. I am beyond stoked. Cannot wait to STOMP!

But now I have to sell the shaker motor I bought...

#348 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Can't wait to join this club. I have an LE ordered but supposed to be early next year when I get it. Will be my first NIB.

Thought all LE's normally get made first before brining premiums on the line, or do they split some production (since they might be running short on parts)?

#349 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Thought all LE's normally get made first before brining premiums on the line, or do they split some production (since they might be running short on parts)?

I meant premium. Just edited it.

#350 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

The Ugly:

Since Spike can do microsecond pulse duty cycles (Spooky, JJP, American, Multimorphic are stuck with 1 ms as their minimum pulse) I think Stern can make it better with code improvements to the magnet duty cycle their hardware allows, but it will likely always be an issue to some degree with long play games.

I'm already working on a bracket that will plug into the Tibetan Breeze flipper cooling kit to also cool the magnet. The Godzilla-specific kit will be 3 flippers with an optional magnet bracket (you can also use an existing Tibetan Breeze kit and get the 3rd bracket option separately). Hoping to have the Godzilla one and the magnet bracket out in about a week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 210.00
Machine - For Sale
Austin, MN
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

16,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

There are 27,335 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 547.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/7?hl=sleal16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.