Screenshot_20240408-172819 (resized).png
IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5052 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
4A684A67-61F1-4FF0-8236-BF6E38F58AE9 (resized).jpeg
pinside.66273470719090863a8972d23c0880d26136302f (resized).jpg
E8926C7A-0B80-451C-BFC6-B6F8BA766F07 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27,299 posts in this topic. You are on page 266 of 546.
#13251 1 year ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I can post pics later, but just got a NIB Premium and I swear to god, this is the thinest clear coat I've seen on a Stern game since purchasing games in the last 10 years. Seriously, it's tough to even say there's clear on this game. I can feel all the artwork lines/grooves and inserts.
This game just came off the recent run. Am I alone here with this issue?

I can feel all the inserts on mine

#13252 1 year ago
Quoted from viper001:

My games are right below my router so I'm not sure the signal is weak in that area but I'll try it again and see what I get. So once you go in there and the download starts that is all that it takes? You don't need to go into the sub menu under "Software Updates" and do anything?

I think you have to go into the sub menu and select something like "install update" vs. just download it. At least, that's what I did at the start of the process for both of mine yesterday and they immediately ran the actual update process as soon as the download finished. I think it lets you queue up/turn on automatic download but doesn't automatically install, in case you want to control when it actually does the update.

#13253 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

I can feel all the inserts on mine

Stern seems to be pretty hit and miss with the quality of their pfs. I don't understand why they can't get it right??

#13254 1 year ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

i dont think it has anything to do with spotty wifi, the servers that host the stern code throttle the connections to handle the load. the more connections, the more throttling the host servers have to do to avoid crashing all together. its very similar to the servers that host updates to online gaming platforms, if everyone downloads at once with zero throttling, then the servers more times than not will crash and then no one gets completed updates.

I think there are multiple issues at play. My game, and I'm not sure if this is universally true, only shipped with a 2.4GHz WiFi dongle. 2.4GHz is significantly slower in terms of data throughput compared to 5GHz bands. 2.4GHz is also more susceptible to interference from microwaves as well as routers neighbors may have. The distance from my game's USB dongle to my router is literally about 3 feet, but I still see pitiful download speeds, often < 1 MB/s. It doesn't help that I'm in a fairly densely populated area, and there are 20+ 2.4GHz networks around me.

I have had blazing fast downloads (50 MB/s+) of the zip packages for code to my computer, and throwing it on a USB drive is quick and painless by comparison. I would be inclined to blame the bottleneck on cheap WiFi adapters that games apparently ship with, but perhaps the "automatic" updates pull from a different download server and is subject to different traffic shaping rules?

At any rate, if speed of update is the concern, I recommend downloading the zip package on a computer (ideally hard-wired internet) and throwing it on USB. A bit of a pain, but much faster.

#13255 1 year ago
Quoted from viper001:

My games are right below my router so I'm not sure the signal is weak in that area but I'll try it again and see what I get. So once you go in there and the download starts that is all that it takes? You don't need to go into the sub menu under "Software Updates" and do anything?

I go back into the menu and start it all over again from the start. I think there has only been one GZ update where it worked fine the first time I tried it. Whether it is spotty wi-fi, throttling the servers, low quality wi-fi dongle, I am not 100% sure. Could be all of that. I'm not that concerned because it always works in the end and I'm not in that much of a hurry and there is always something else I can/should be doing. However, if I were in a hurry, I would probably download the spk files to a usb flash drive and go that route. That method seems to require a little more hand-holding but seems faster to me (YMMV).

#13256 1 year ago

I managed to beat Planet X last night after putting the new code in. Also set a new GC!

This game just keeps getting better!

PXL_20220804_040033558 (resized).jpgPXL_20220804_040033558 (resized).jpgPXL_20220804_040504905 (resized).jpgPXL_20220804_040504905 (resized).jpg
#13257 1 year ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Yep, well aware of this. And this is what we get b/c of the complainers.
People don't realize dimpling is not a huge deal. It will smooth over time. Dimpling is amplified when there's thick clear. Thick clear protects the paint.
Now we're in a scenario, b/c people complained, that these games will be down to the barewood (potentially) after high amounts of games.

Playfield Protector seems to be a necessary/required addition. Plan to put one on mine as soon as it arrives

#13258 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Wifi goes in a straight line. For example, if you draw a straight line from the access point to the godzilla wifi adapter, and it goes through 5 pinball machines, that would be explain poor signal.

yea except the ones in front of it and behind it are way faster. Its always been this way with GZ. I bet its the dongle. Its only a few feet from the eero point on that floor.

#13259 1 year ago

I have a USB dongle that is used for nothing but these updates. It was originally formatted on a Windows machine but I use a Mac to download and load the files onto the USB stick. It is super simple and quick to download the file, unzip it, load the files in the folder onto the stick, plug the stick into the game, turn the game on, and let it do its thing. Using the WiFi is so slow and failure prone but the USB works every time. Sure, the WiFi should work and is the easiest, but hey, at least we aren't burning ROMs anymore!

#13260 1 year ago

With the 0.98 update after you go to settings #51 and enable registered for HUO so you don't have to keep logging in, do you need to do anything else to specify which users are in the home to stay logged in versus guest? If so how where do we do that. Thanks

#13261 1 year ago
Quoted from PalmettoPinworks:

Playfield Protector seems to be a necessary/required addition. Plan to put one on mine as soon as it arrives

Not necessary or required at all. Some like them though.

#13262 1 year ago

Just got the call to schedule delivery of my Godzilla premium! Unfortunately he was calling from Texas. I am not in Texas...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#13263 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not necessary or required at all. Some like them though.

I know this subject has been beaten to death in the thread debating the pros and cons of playfield protectors but I'll chime in here. I have a mix of new Sterns and old B/W's. When i got my NGG I was super paranoid about keeping it nice and not letting it get any additional wear. I could feel a few of the inserts stating to rise so I figured I'll throw on a playfield protector and be done with it. Sure that stopped additional wear but at the same time I can see it and it bothers me. It's not as easy to clean as a regular playfield despite what people say. I am going to cut it out and remove it any day now. My solution to the inserts will be to apply custom cut mylar around those inserts. No more wear, provides the same protection as the protector.

My new Sterns don't and wont have playfield protectors. They don't need it for home use period. Go to an arcade and look for a GOTG or other early Spike 2 game. Take a look at the playfield. They are fine and they are getting a crap ton more plays than our home machines. The games look and play better as intended.

To each his own but I'm glad I got over my playfield paranoia.

#13264 1 year ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

With the 0.98 update after you go to settings #51 and enable registered for HUO so you don't have to keep logging in, do you need to do anything else to specify which users are in the home to stay logged in versus guest? If so how where do we do that. Thanks

This video on Stern's Facebook explains how to setup and use "Home Team".

https://fb.watch/eHFUBSiKS5/

#13265 1 year ago

Use them if you like them,I just found this funny not judging

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#13266 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

I know this subject has been beaten to death in the thread debating the pros and cons of playfield protectors but I'll chime in here. I have a mix of new Sterns and old B/W's. When i got my NGG I was super paranoid about keeping it nice and not letting it get any additional wear. I could feel a few of the inserts stating to rise so I figured I'll throw on a playfield protector and be done with it. Sure that stopped additional wear but at the same time I can see it and it bothers me. It's not as easy to clean as a regular playfield despite what people say. I am going to cut it out and remove it any day now. My solution to the inserts will be to apply custom cut mylar around those inserts. No more wear, provides the same protection as the protector.
My new Sterns don't and wont have playfield protectors. They don't need it for home use period. Go to an arcade and look for a GOTG or other early Spike 2 game. Take a look at the playfield. They are fine and they are getting a crap ton more plays than our home machines. The games look and play better as intended.
To each his own but I'm glad I got over my playfield paranoia.

Saw a game with a protector on it on route that was so scratched up and cloudy, you could barely see the playfield artwork.

I think they are better for home, but home games also get way less play.

#13267 1 year ago
Quoted from viper001:

So this is my first code update rodeo on my 3 Insider Connected games. I went into Net... Software Updates on all 3 and the downloads started immediately. They all ran for a while (GZ running the longest), but then the downloading activity stopped and they just sat there. Each screen just said "Up to date" but all showed the previous revision number for the software (GZ being .97 I believe). I rebooted after 20 minutes of inactivity, is that where I messed up? Should I have left them alone longer?? TIA!

When you are on software update and it says it’s up to date if you hit start you should get a menu (not sure which code versions gave certain options) if your download completed you can select “install now”. There are also options to download automatically and install automatically if you want. I think you can still access this menu while downloading, I was doing 8 machines yesterday and some were more automated than others until I got all the settings the same.

#13268 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

This video on Stern's Facebook explains how to setup and use "Home Team".
https://fb.watch/eHFUBSiKS5/

Awesome ty.

#13269 1 year ago

Go to take out the trash and a big ass truck is rolling onto my street.

5 minutes later I got this in my garage.

IMG_8223 (resized).jpgIMG_8223 (resized).jpg
#13270 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Go to take out the trash and a big ass truck is rolling onto my street.
5 minutes later I got this in my garage. [quoted image]

What's hiding behind that extra flap of cardboard added to the side?

#13271 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

A half off sticker.

#13272 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Nothing. That extra cardboard flap was on both sides that the wire holding it to the palette was on.

#13274 1 year ago
Quoted from Sugar:

A half off sticker.

Me and my bank account wish.

#13275 1 year ago

Artblades installed! I removed the playfield to install them, was super easy and glad I did. Playfield just lifts out, I used a cart right next to it so I didn't disconnect all the cables but you can pretty easily. It's better to lift the whole darn thing out rather than stand it up on end and work around the middle.

20220804_115146 (resized).jpg20220804_115146 (resized).jpg20220804_115405 (resized).jpg20220804_115405 (resized).jpg20220804_121439 (resized).jpg20220804_121439 (resized).jpg

#13276 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Me and my bank account wish.

Ditto to that!!

#13277 1 year ago
Quoted from coloradodan:Artblades installed! I removed the playfield to install them, was super easy and glad I did. Playfield just lifts out, I used a cart right next to it so I didn't disconnect all the cables but you can pretty easily. It's better to lift the whole darn thing out rather than stand it up on end and work around the middle.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dam, all I see is 1 cable still attached, and 1 connector unplugged. What's the 1 cable that you didn't disconnect? I plan on moving my Pro when it arrives with the PF out and head off. Just curious how many connections there are to the PF that have to be disconnected to remove it completely

#13278 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Dam, all I see is 1 cable still attached, and 1 connector unplugged. What's the 1 cable that you didn't disconnect? I plan on moving my Pro when it arrives with the PF out and head off. Just curious how many connections there are to the PF that have to be disconnected to remove it completely

I was gonna disconnect them all, but then 1 was zip tied and I got lazy and grabbed a cart to put it on. It would be super easy to remove it completely.

#13279 1 year ago
Quoted from coloradodan:

I was gonna disconnect them all, but then 1 was zip tied and I got lazy and grabbed a cart to put it on. It would be super easy to remove it completely.

Is it fairly easy to left the PF out yourself, or did you have help?

#13280 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Is it fairly easy to left the PF out yourself, or did you have help?

Did it myself, I didn't know that it came all the way out like that so easy until I did it. Key thing is to have somewhere to set it to undo the cables... so if you don't have a table/cart handy, best to have help. Full disclosure: I didn't PLAN on taking it all the way out until I screwed up on the left art blade and had to retry. Then I was like "oh, that was super easy".

#13281 1 year ago
Quoted from coloradodan:

Did it myself, I didn't know that it came all the way out like that so easy until I did it. Key thing is to have somewhere to set it to undo the cables... so if you don't have a table/cart handy, best to have help. Full disclosure: I didn't PLAN on taking it all the way out until I screwed up on the left art blade and had to retry. Then I was like "oh, that was super easy".

Good to know. Thanks. Now I just need my Pro already......

#13282 1 year ago
Quoted from coloradodan:

Artblades installed! I removed the playfield to install them, was super easy and glad I did. Playfield just lifts out, I used a cart right next to it so I didn't disconnect all the cables but you can pretty easily. It's better to lift the whole darn thing out rather than stand it up on end and work around the middle.

Good job man. You know, looking at the Godzilla figure from the side? I think he looks so much better than from the front. I've seen others replace it & use it as a topper.. but it's not as bad as I thought. Awesome game. My Pre ships next week so and sick of installing art blades with the playfield up, so will take the tip here and install this way. Congrats

#13283 1 year ago
Quoted from Sugar:

Updated code and added mirror blades and got my highest score yet in one day……oh yeah
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Which mirror blades did you go with?

I wanted to get some for my JP but never got around to em and wasn't sure where to get em.

May have to get em for GZ too!

#13284 1 year ago
Quoted from coloradodan:

Is it just me or does it look like you scratched/knicked the right cabinet metal guards when put the playfield right next to it. In the future It is far much easier to take the entire playfield out. All you have to do is quick disconnect 2 wires and the ethernet cable plus clip about 2 or 3 zip ties at most.

#13285 1 year ago

I’m more appreciative of the couch and pillows in the background than your art blade instillation.

Quoted from coloradodan:

#13286 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:

Is it just me or does it look like you scratched/knicked the right cabinet metal guards when put the playfield right next to it. In the future It is far much easier to take the entire playfield out. All you have to do is quick disconnect 2 wires and the ethernet cable plus clip about 2 or 3 zip ties at most.

It does look like it got scratched up. Hope not, but, if so, can something like that be spot repaired somehow? I'm thinking the entire rail would need to be redone.

#13287 1 year ago

I’m receiving my game tomorrow. Do you think it will have the new code?

#13288 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

It does look like it got scratched up. Hope not, but, if so, can something like that be spot repaired somehow? I'm thinking the entire rail would need to be redone.

monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-just-a-flesh-wound (resized).pngmonty-python-and-the-holy-grail-just-a-flesh-wound (resized).png
#13289 1 year ago
Quoted from sidesmack40:

No.

#13290 1 year ago
Quoted from sidesmack40:

probably not,go get a Usb stick and download it today and you will be ready.It probably left the warehouse a week ago.

#13291 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

probably not,go get a Usb stick and download it today and you will be ready.It probably left the warehouse a week ago.

Quoted from Jamesays:

My distributor just received them today from Stern. And just shipped it out for me to get tomorrow

#13292 1 year ago
Quoted from Jedi_Gill:Is it just me or does it look like you scratched/knicked the right cabinet metal guards when put the playfield right next to it. In the future It is far much easier to take the entire playfield out. All you have to do is quick disconnect 2 wires and the ethernet cable plus clip about 2 or 3 zip ties at most.

Or just don't remove the playfield when installing the art blades. Completely unnecessary. I did it with playfield flipped up by myself in 10 min..didn't get it right the first time. Just peeled it back off and adjusted. No wet method or any nonsense .it seemed pretty hard to mess up

#13293 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Which mirror blades did you go with?
I wanted to get some for my JP but never got around to em and wasn't sure where to get em.
May have to get em for GZ too!

Pinball Decals inc. a little more expensive than others but really nice quality and the shipping was cheaper than the others for some reason. I can’t say they are better than the other options because I haven’t bought anywhere else.

#13294 1 year ago

Who has the best sling protectors for zilla ?

#13296 1 year ago

Am I the only one that doesn't care for the colored Lexan sling protectors? I mean, I'd love for them to work as the colored edge looks awesome. I just don't care for the GI lighting getting the same color tint.

#13297 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Am I the only one that doesn't care for the colored Lexan sling protectors? I mean, I'd love for them to work as the colored edge looks awesome. I just don't care for the GI lighting getting the same color tint.

I prefer clear or nothing. Colored ones seem to wash out the artwork. Just my preference

#13298 1 year ago
Quoted from Sugar:

I prefer clear or nothing. Colored ones seem to wash out the artwork. Just my preference

Naw, they look great. Who has time to look at the art while playing?

#13299 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Naw, they look great. Who has time to look at the art while playing?

Ha! Who has time to look at colored protectors

#13300 1 year ago
Quoted from Sugar:

Ha! Who has time to look at colored protectors

Not me, I'm too busy playing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 125.88
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ChainsawMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dacula, GA
9,000 (OBO)
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 27,299 posts in this topic. You are on page 266 of 546.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/266?hl=mapalot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.