PXL_20240415_201849415 (resized).jpg
IMG_2601 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2538 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1444 (resized).jpg
IMG_7006.jpg
gdz opto receiver (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27,390 posts in this topic. You are on page 234 of 548.
#11651 1 year ago
download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
#11652 1 year ago
Quoted from bloodonthepins:

This is my first new Stern, so I'm wondering, is it normal to hear a loud fan noise from the backbox once in a while, even when the game is idle? That thing is loud as hell! Makes me want to turn the pin off instead of leaving it on for the light show when I'm not playing.

I’m going to try this 3D printed mod to help with the fan noise. I like the idea of not having to crack the power supply if I can avoid it, and the Noctua fans I’ve used are dead silent. This mod keeps the internal fan from ever spinning up by keeping temps constantly cool. Seemed like an elegant solution, my local 3D printer guy charged me less than $10.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4844962

Props to the pinsider that came up with this and offered it to the community.

8A1681FE-8021-4199-BD1E-D96814CFC7DC (resized).png8A1681FE-8021-4199-BD1E-D96814CFC7DC (resized).png
#11653 1 year ago
Quoted from Pugster:

I’m going to try this 3D printed mod to help with the fan noise. I like the idea of not having to crack the power supply if I can avoid it, and the Noctua fans I’ve used are dead silent. This mod keeps the internal fan from ever spinning up by keeping temps constantly cool. Seemed like an elegant solution, my local 3D printer guy charged me less than $10.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4844962
Props to the pinsider that came up with this and offered it to the community. [quoted image]

I just did this yesterday. probably any 60mm fan you can find will be quieter than the PSU fan, don't gotta go out of your way to get a $15 noctua. I grabbed a cheap 24v fan out of a box of spare parts, wired up to 12v and its spinning enough to keep the stock PSU from coming on (and i can't hear it from 4 ft away)

It's sad how little effort they put into this. "lets have a really loud fan come on intermittently to cool the psu instead of a more quiet fan spinning constantly"

#11654 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I just did this yesterday. probably any 60mm fan you can find will be quieter than the PSU fan, don't gotta go out of your way to get a $15 noctua. I grabbed a cheap 24v fan out of a box of spare parts, wired up to 12v and its spinning enough to keep the stock PSU from coming on (and i can't hear it from 4 ft away)
It's sad how little effort they put into this. "lets have a really loud fan come on intermittently to cool the psu instead of a more quiet fan spinning constantly"

Did you use the same method to grab 12V? Pinball life cable?

And I totally agree. Spending a bit more on cooling or modding their PSUs would have been preferred. Ah well, cheap fix.

#11655 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

The fan is part of the cheap power supply they're using; it's not anything directly controlled by the game. We should be a little more suspicious of these power supplies using bottom-of-the-barrel parts to power the game

#11656 1 year ago
Quoted from Pugster:

Did you use the same method to grab 12V? Pinball life cable?

I actually took an old 12v wall brick (from an old router i think) and plugged that into the outlet inside the cabinet. I do want to get that pinball life cable, or at least that connector, because I want to add flipper coil fans next, and the outlet is always-on...

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The fan is part of the cheap power supply they're using; it's not anything directly controlled by the game. We should be a little more suspicious of these power supplies using bottom-of-the-barrel parts to power the game

Meanwell makes a fine, quality power supply. They're pretty much the go to place for off the shelf DC power supply. Perhaps they should have gotten a beefier one that wasn't pushed so hard, or had better cooling, i dunno.

#11657 1 year ago

I can never hear the fan running during game play - only when in attract mode. I do have upgraded speakers and external sub...

#11658 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Go to top of this page click on "show topic index" scroll down to building adjustment.luck
[quoted image]

Thanks for walking me thru to find the stickies. I found what I needed to know to raise the 1st floor level of the bldg so the ball wouldn't get stuck there (where the pf meets the bldg entrance) anymore. It req'd raising the bldg floor level a tad higher than the level of the pf, so once I found that level, I lowered the bldg level 2-clicks (which was still higher than it was previously). I didn't want to raise the bldg floor too high because I'm concerned that every time the ball is shot into the bldg it will hit the edge of the bldg floor and possibly cause some long term damage. Where the bldg floor level is set now, the ball could still get stuck, but it's much less likely than before, and a very gentle nudge of the cabinet will free it, so I compromised between reducing possible damage and fewer ball stuck occurrences. I will keep my eye on the bldg floor so that if I see preliminary signs of damage, I'll lower the floor level so it's even with the pf, and just live with the ball occasionally getting stuck there.

#11659 1 year ago
Quoted from golfergordy:

Thanks for walking me thru to find the stickies. I found what I needed to know to raise the 1st floor level of the bldg so the ball wouldn't get stuck there (where the pf meets the bldg entrance) anymore. It req'd raising the bldg floor level a tad higher than the level of the pf, so once I found that level, I lowered the bldg level 2-clicks (which was still higher than it was previously). I didn't want to raise the bldg floor too high because I'm concerned that every time the ball is shot into the bldg it will hit the edge of the bldg floor and possibly cause some long term damage. Where the bldg floor level is set now, the ball could still get stuck, but it's much less likely than before, and a very gentle nudge of the cabinet will free it, so I compromised between reducing possible damage and fewer ball stuck occurrences. I will keep my eye on the bldg floor so that if I see preliminary signs of damage, I'll lower the floor level so it's even with the pf, and just live with the ball occasionally getting stuck there.

Personally, I would make the building as level as possible with the playfield to mitigate damage to the building and/or playfield itself. To eliminate a stuck ball at that juncture, I would focus on increasing the overall pitch and raise the back legs a bit. Just my 0.02.

#11660 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

I would love the template!

I’ll post later tonight - kids baseball tonight.
You have Photoshop?

Otherwise let me know what you use.

#11661 1 year ago
Quoted from cigarman79:

I’ll post later tonight - kids baseball tonight.
You have Photoshop?

Otherwise let me know what you use.

That would be awesome! I use GIMP. Thanks again!

#11662 1 year ago
Quoted from iAmKemo:

Thank you. That seems to be about the distance of mine too. I have only had my pin for a few days... do you always want to full plunge the ball or is there any kind of finesse shot?

When I try for the skill shot where the ball goes behind the upper flipper, I try to rotate the plunger knob as I release it. I'm not sure if this actually slows down the ball (so it won't be a maximum speed plunger release), or if this helps me to put a little finesse into the release which slightly slows down the ball and increases my chance for a skill shot award.

#11663 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

Personally, I would make the building as level as possible with the playfield to mitigate damage to the building and/or playfield itself. To eliminate a stuck ball at that juncture, I would focus on increasing the overall pitch and raise the back legs a bit. Just my 0.02.

There's certainly more than one way to skin a cat. I may try increasing the pf pitch and see how that works. I had the same choice (risk damage to eliminate a stuck ball situation, or live with the stuck ball) at the ramp in front of MechaGZ. You can raise the rotating ramp platform to eliminate a stuck ball possibility between MGZ and the ramp, but then the lip of the ramp will be higher than the pf and will be hit with every ball shot into the ramp. I left the ramp platform alone for about a month (and lived with a few stuck balls, including one or two tilts), and then implemented a different solution (see my post #11613) which can't be seen by the player and works very well.

#11664 1 year ago

Looks like new beta code is out according to sterns Instagram anyone know what’s in it?

#11665 1 year ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

Looks like new beta code is out according to sterns Instagram anyone know what’s in it?

WAT

#11666 1 year ago
Quoted from cigarman79:

Let me know if you want any photoshop/artwork files

Just saw this offer too thanks, I’d love em.

#11667 1 year ago
0F390E5F-E6D3-4B71-B09B-FB02D0A6BF57 (resized).png0F390E5F-E6D3-4B71-B09B-FB02D0A6BF57 (resized).png
#11668 1 year ago

Oh yeah. Karl and Logan get beta code.

#11669 1 year ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

We've been getting a new code update about once per month... so a new one should be out soon. Wasn't sure if they were going to wait to officially release until after their worldwide leaderboard tournament ends after June 30th. I'm currently 25th... hoping to move up before it ends!

#11670 1 year ago

Question for the group. Wife and I replaced our slingshots with Titan Rubbers today (first time doing this) and after re-screwing everything down we noticed the ball, when on the corkscrew ramp actually makes contact with the other wireform. When it's rolling slowly it can get caught, when it has full momentum from the building it makes contact but continues rolling.

We didn't test before hand, but this seems like it's not what should be going on but before we start bending or undoing things wanted to just sanity check with the group here: the ball touching the other wireform isn't intended, right?

Video:

Thanks!

#11671 1 year ago
Quoted from pluto:

Question for the group. Wife and I replaced our slingshots with Titan Rubbers today (first time doing this) and after re-screwing everything down we noticed the ball, when on the corkscrew ramp actually makes contact with the other wireform. When it's rolling slowly it can get caught, when it has full momentum from the building it makes contact but continues rolling.
We didn't test before hand, but this seems like it's not what should be going on but before we start bending or undoing things wanted to just sanity check with the group here: the ball touching the other wireform isn't intended, right?
Video:
Thanks!

Let’s see pictures of your slings. You maybe have put the wireform back incorrectly

#11672 1 year ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Let’s see pictures of your slings. You maybe have put the wireform back incorrectly

Hopefully this helps!

IMG_1549 (resized).jpgIMG_1549 (resized).jpgIMG_1550 (resized).jpgIMG_1550 (resized).jpgIMG_1551 (resized).jpgIMG_1551 (resized).jpgIMG_1552 (resized).jpgIMG_1552 (resized).jpg
#11673 1 year ago

Everything looks good there. Hmmm bizarre

#11674 1 year ago

Only suggestion is to make sure your lefts side sling posts and screws are all the way down against the playfield. It looks good in the pics though.

Something is causing the wire forms to be too close together

#11675 1 year ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Only suggestion is to make sure your lefts side sling posts and screws are all the way down against the playfield. It looks good in the pics though.
Something is causing the wire forms to be too close together

I may have the solution, however unintended, I made sure my left side was tight and I loosened the right side JUST a hair. Now it sails through with extremely minimal touch and no matter the speed gets through. Probably the best I can do.

Thanks for the sounding board, Tiltbob!

#11676 1 year ago
Quoted from pluto:

I may have the solution, however unintended, I made sure my left side was tight and I loosened the right side JUST a hair. Now it sails through with extremely minimal touch and no matter the speed gets through. Probably the best I can do.

You’re welcome. Wish I could’ve helped more

#11677 1 year ago

Finally joined the club with a pro

#11678 1 year ago

Not sure who Dave H is from Mass… but I feel like posting pic of my Insider card led to this…

Anyone get random scores from NoT you?

BE179521-8CCF-47D8-8918-11340D329B62 (resized).pngBE179521-8CCF-47D8-8918-11340D329B62 (resized).png
#11679 1 year ago

Have had my premium for 5 days now. First pin. Have been tinkering with it a bit before today(neca figure, new shooter, replaced speakers), but today I put in a shaker motor,art blades, some fans on the coils/PSU and waxed the playfield. Wow. The wax makes it so much meaner! This game is so much fun... glad to be in the club!

#11680 1 year ago
Quoted from pluto:

I find that doing this is also a solution for the ball bouncing back an inch off the right ramp chute bar when coming down the ramp. Screwing down hard must change the angle of the ramp slightly.

Be advised though, loose screwing will result in the nut coming loose! Haven't yet tried an additional washer underneath but that's the next step.

#11681 1 year ago
Quoted from cigarman79:

Not sure who Dave H is from Mass… but I feel like posting pic of my Insider card led to this…
[quoted image]

Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, that was dumb. I just held up the web browser on my phone pointed to Pinside images to the QR reader and of course it worked. I’ll just stop that crap right now.
I’ve never liked QR codes, and I very rarely scan them with my phone. They seem very easy to exploit. As we went to that at restaurants recently I always thought about how easy it would be to print out a malicious QR that included a site with the menu and a bit of “extra”. Heck, hide it in the corner of a window near the menu board and someone will scan it.
My apologies to those that just “played” my Godzilla after posting their QR codes into a public forum.

Go back a page.

#11682 1 year ago
Quoted from cigarman79:

[quoted image]

This guy?

Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, that was dumb. I just held up the web browser on my phone pointed to Pinside images to the QR reader and of course it worked. I’ll just stop that crap right now.
I’ve never liked QR codes, and I very rarely scan them with my phone. They seem very easy to exploit. As we went to that at restaurants recently I always thought about how easy it would be to print out a malicious QR that included a site with the menu and a bit of “extra”. Heck, hide it in the corner of a window near the menu board and someone will scan it.
My apologies to those that just “played” my Godzilla after posting their QR codes into a public forum.

Yeah, all you need to do is hold up your phone with the browser open to Pinside and it reads peoples QR codes into the game. I was curious, and even the off angle ones just read right in.

Like I said, I won’t be doing it again. It was a dumb experiment.

#11683 1 year ago

You guys can reset your QR code on sterns site, but I would be surprised if it's a recurring incident worth reprinting your card

#11684 1 year ago

Wouldn't this be easier?

Screenshot_20220622-080830 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220622-080830 (resized).png
#11685 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

This guy?

Yeah, all you need to do is hold up your phone with the browser open to Pinside and it reads peoples QR codes into the game. I was curious, and even the off angle ones just read right in.
Like I said, I won’t be doing it again. It was a dumb experiment.

lol - yep, "This guy"
I tried to search for DaveH here, obviously didn't get match... didn't see your post on prev page.
Sorry it's been a craptastic experience for you - and it's super weird it reads as other's accounts.

I really love this feature, and was really curious what happened.

#11686 1 year ago
Quoted from cigarman79:

I really love this feature, and was really curious what happened.

Tale as old as time. Curious nerd that used to work in computer security has regrets after he sees exploitable thing, and exploits it to satisfy said curiosity.

#11687 1 year ago

For those interested in the template I used for printing Insider Cards, I added the Photoshop (PSD) file, as well as a blank JPG image.
For those without photoshop, just put the JPG into Word, or whatever, add your name, QR code, and avatar (or just cover it it up)

Files in my shared Pinball dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/jg3zkhyi9nv461twx6m3b/h?dl=0&rlkey=uz56kmz9o8mwowsz9c3rim9of

Only_Pinball
6point5degrees
Pugster

#11688 1 year ago

friendly tip: shiny covers over the QR codes can make it very difficult for the reader to properly read them quickly (tape, etc). I threw away the first 2 i made after discovering this a few months ago

#11689 1 year ago

Yeah any wrinkle will reflect and show up as extra white spots and mess up the code.

#11690 1 year ago

Just dropping by to say I joined the club. Picked up my GZ Pro Monday and holy crap, I love this game. I'm still struggling a bit with the deep rule set, but man, it is so much fun. I haven't played a single game on any other machine since setting this one up.

#11691 1 year ago

The Problem with printing the QR codes is that the QR reader seems to need a shit ton of light to work. At least the ones I have installed on my machines.
If the lights are off in the room and only my accent lighting on a printed QR will not work. Tattooed QR will probably not have enough contrast.

#11692 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

The Problem with printing the QR codes is that the QR reader seems to need a shit ton of light to work. At least the ones I have installed on my machines.
If the lights are off in the room and only my accent lighting on a printed QR will not work. Tattooed QR will probably not have enough contrast.

I had trouble with mine until I got it the right size. Make sure it is smaller than the little white box reader. Mine is printed with a thermal paper. Contrast is pretty good, but not great on it. Scans as good or better than the phone. not sure about a tattoo haha

#11693 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I had trouble with mine until I got it the right size. Make sure it is smaller than the little white box reader. Mine is printed with a thermal laser. Contrast is pretty good, but not great on it. Scans as good or better than the phone. not sure about a tattoo haha

You can print them straight from your insider connected profile page. It prints exactly the right size.

#11694 1 year ago
Quoted from pluto:

So IMHO I would loosen the right side and add another washer or two on the post threads under the wire ramp loop, then retighten up the right side nut. Too loose and the ramp will move causing the ball to hang-up on the drop.

#11695 1 year ago

Looking to add a shaker motor to my GZ Premium. Any difference between the generic one on Pinball Life versus the Stern authorized one which is $20 more?

#11696 1 year ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Looking to add a shaker motor to my GZ Premium. Any difference between the generic one on Pinball Life versus the Stern authorized one which is $20 more?

yes,20 bucks

#11697 1 year ago
I have had good luck with the pinballife shaker

#11698 1 year ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

installed PBL shaker to my gz prem yesterday. seems quality. has good instructions, and seems to work very well.

#11699 1 year ago

On the shaker note - my only experience with shakers has been on my Roadshow (good if you want to simulate a bulldozer or tornado) and my buddy’s Hobbit (really mellow, seemed well integrated).

I’ve got a PBL shaker for my GZ going in this weekend when I pick both up…I’ve heard rave reviews of GZ shaker code…is it as good as everyone says? Well integrated and not just shaking the shit out of the machine? Curious….

#11700 1 year ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

I would never put a part that wasn't Stern authorized into a SPIKE game unless it was completely disconnected from any electronics inside the game. If I'm putting in something lit, it will have its own power. In SAM it was all fine, but not in SPIKE (in my opinion, you do you). If it is $20 more to get Stern Authorized, I pay $20 more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dixon, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Austin, MN
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

15,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 27,390 posts in this topic. You are on page 234 of 548.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/234?hl=spinneraddict and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.