Screenshot_20240408_215256_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1439 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408-172718 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240408-172819 (resized).png
IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5052 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27,318 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 547.
#6201 2 years ago

Joined the club!

Premium arrived last week, and after some bumps in the road getting wifi, it is now online on Insider Connected. (The location only had an open wifi and SIC requires password authentication, so we needed to get the location to setup an additional SSID for us.)

Fantastic game!

#6202 2 years ago

So my question for Stern is.....will there be a mode that unlocks and plays the Ke$ha's song Godzilla?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6203 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmonkey:

Lynn’s arcade is a dope place to pinball

They're nominated "Favorite Pinball Location" at the TWIPYS. Make your voice heard.

#6204 2 years ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

How is changing coil stops making the flippers stronger? I am getting to 400 games, did not notice weak flippers yet

Yeah, and others might chime in as well, but starting about 3 or so years ago, for whatever reason, the Stern stock coil stops are real crap.

There are some folks who luck into some good ones I suppose, but an overwhelming amount of people have noticed that these coil stops that stern uses are not great, which is usually noted by a feeling of weaker flippers. That's why the first recommendation you'll see these days across the board for any new modern stern is to change out your coil stops.

In my case, I was starting to notice some weakness at the flippers at about 250 games. After changing out the coil stops (and coil sleeves while I was at it) it gave a brand new breath of fresh power! This is a typical story though these days.

#6205 2 years ago

hello,

i just got my godzilla premium pinball , and the sound is so crap

Compared to other spike 2 i have in my gameroom , usualy i play with EQ equalizer , adding treeble and bass etc .. i know the amplifier have limited frequency and even with New speaker the amplifer is realy weak ....

but on this one it s ultra weak it s not possible , the sound "cabinet" creak and saturate a lot of time ,I can t realy put more bass

we can notice it easy at bonus after losing ball and with mecgagodzilla multiball (premium) for example , you can also hear it at start when you wait to launch the ball....

is someone notice this ? .....

#6206 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

I wonder if building a box around the sub with a ‘breather’ hole would isolate the backbox speakers and the sub a little better?

This is a good idea, but there's very little clearance on the right speaker when the panel is closed due to the power supply and power junction boxes right behind the speaker. Not sure an enclosure would fit.

#6207 2 years ago

Mounted up my 2009 Bandai Mecha-Godzilla figure torso. Pulled the torso off the figure, drilled two holes in the underside lip of the torso, and used wire ties through the holes and down through the slot in the plastic tied down to the L-brackets from the original Mecha flat "shrinky dink" plastic underneath. Easy peasy.

Really liking the way the Pro looks with these couple figures, and Tdiddy's Telsa towers and bridge.

Still got a Sleal16 saucer coming, and am thinking to get Mezelmod.s building, which will probably do it for me. Well maybe Mezel's signs - maybe their back board buildings too, LOL.
20220110_155320 (resized).jpg20220110_155320 (resized).jpg20220110_155353 (resized).jpg20220110_155353 (resized).jpg

#6208 2 years ago

davegauth Thanks so much for the tips! Awesome. The crackeling is gone. Was a little bit frustrating. The JBL stage is a good option as wel, does that also work with the stock backbox speakers alone? My funds are a little low after this purchase

#6209 2 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Yeah, and others might chime in as well, but starting about 3 or so years ago, for whatever reason, the Stern stock coil stops are real crap.
There are some folks who luck into some good ones I suppose, but an overwhelming amount of people have noticed that these coil stops that stern uses are not great, which is usually noted by a feeling of weaker flippers. That's why the first recommendation you'll see these days across the board for any new modern stern is to change out your coil stops.
In my case, I was starting to notice some weakness at the flippers at about 250 games. After changing out the coil stops (and coil sleeves while I was at it) it gave a brand new breath of fresh power! This is a typical story though these days.

Yes i also read alot of crappy coilstops. How can Stern use such when high quality and happy customers is only 2$ more. Maybe they have stocked millions already...

I just dont get it how it technically weakens flipper fingers. Anyhow, good to know and i will just order a couple as spare just in case

#6210 2 years ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

Yes i also read alot of crappy coilstops. How can Stern use such when high quality and happy customers is only 2$ more. Maybe they have stocked millions already...
I just dont get it how it technically weakens flipper fingers. Anyhow, good to know and i will just order a couple as spare just in case

When the stop gets loose or busts out of the backing, there's no solid end for the flipper plunger to hit when the coil activates and pulls it, so it makes the stroke end softer than if it hit a hard stop and robs power from the flipper the pawl/plunger is driving. A flipper to a shaft to a pawl to a plunger pulled with force into a hard coil stop sends that energy up to the ball. But if the stop is mushy (loose/broken) some of that energy dissipates into the broken stop and isn't transferred back to the ball. So you get weaker flips.

It would be interesting to measure how much force is drained from a flipper with a broken coil stop. I don't think anyone has done that. We all know it happens, but no one has measured how MUCH is lost, to my knowledge.

A broken stop can also make the flipper stick slightly or completely.

#6211 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

I wonder if building a box around the sub with a ‘breather’ hole would isolate the backbox speakers and the sub a little better?

Enclosing the sub within the lower cab and turning it into a ported box is definitely a possibility and would improve the sound for sure. But I wouldn't bother doing this for the stock woofer. It's too much time and money spent making a bad speaker sound slightly less bad.... The biggest bang for the buck and time would be just swap out the stock speaker for a better one. Then enclose it as a next level if you want to go further with the project. I may do some testing in this area when I finish up with some of the milder options first.

Quoted from Pinballmonkey:

how did you wire the subwoofer? hard to tell from the pics
thanks

positive to positive, negative to negative. nothing special. The wiring in the pick is a bit messy as I have some pretty long leads attached so I can test the subs outside the cabinet.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Really appreciate hearing the results of your experiments. I think too many people are too quick to just throw money at a packaged audio replacement kit instead of going the DIY route for much less. This tip alone made a big difference for me. I had a bad crackle that I suspected was coming from that speaker grill, but all efforts to tighten it down or shim it did not completely resolve the issue, so I thought maybe the speaker was blown. After reading your comments, I went ahead and removed it altogether and my game sounds SO much better. Keep up the good work.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad it helped you.

Quoted from dutchi:

davegauth Thanks so much for the tips! Awesome. The crackeling is gone. Was a little bit frustrating. The JBL stage is a good option as wel, does that also work with the stock backbox speakers alone? My funds are a little low after this purchase

-
I haven't tried this order of upgrade first. I already cut the stock backbox speaker wires off, making it a pain to put them back in. But I do have other pins I will be upgrading so I'm sure I can grab the speakers from them and test this out and post the results. It will be interesting to see the pro's and cons of doing it in reverse order.

One can certainly be added. A passive crossover(or even some low pass filters) may eat up too much power from the meager Stern amp. However; once we start thinking about crossovers and amps we will be passing the threshold of mild DIY improvements. There may also be better bang for the buck available. For now we can use the EQ to digitally cut out freq's we don't want. Another issue - you can't run the sub truly as just a sub. Well you can, but there may be a big gap in the sound stage between the sub and the little 4" or 5.25" back box speakers. I have some other thoughts on this, but want to do some testing first.

#6212 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrjohnsen:

davegauth
Could you post a 10band picture of your cabinet settings also ? I saw you already posted the Backbox picture

Sure thing, season to your liking of course....

20220110_202726 (resized).jpg20220110_202726 (resized).jpg
#6213 2 years ago

Hooked up my external subwoofer tonight using the Pinnovators pinsub. Having had machines with shaker motors I have to say I prefer the low rumble by itself to any physical feedback.

I’ve been thinking about taking some old wall mount speakers i have and putting them to the sides of my machines, each pin connected to a separate input on an old Denon avr i have collecting dust

Anyone done anything similar?

#6214 2 years ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

I thought that I figured it out but balls are still flying around. I will search for this bracket. Thank you.

Here ya go-

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1377-hippies-haven/05733-anti-airball-target-bracket-wedge

#6215 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When the stop gets loose or busts out of the backing, there's no solid end for the flipper plunger to hit when the coil activates and pulls it, so it makes the stroke end softer than if it hit a hard stop and robs power from the flipper the pawl/plunger is driving. A flipper to a shaft to a pawl to a plunger pulled with force into a hard coil stop sends that energy up to the ball. But if the stop is mushy (loose/broken) some of that energy dissipates into the broken stop and isn't transferred back to the ball. So you get weaker flips.
It would be interesting to measure how much force is drained from a flipper with a broken coil stop. I don't think anyone has done that. We all know it happens, but no one has measured how MUCH is lost, to my knowledge.
A broken stop can also make the flipper stick slightly or completely.

Man thank you! Thats the best explanation, makes sense! I feel a little stupid now, pretty obvious stuff

#6216 2 years ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

Hooked up my external subwoofer tonight using the Pinnovators pinsub. Having had machines with shaker motors I have to say I prefer the low rumble by itself to any physical feedback.
I’ve been thinking about taking some old wall mount speakers i have and putting them to the sides of my machines, each pin connected to a separate input on an old Denon avr i have collecting dust
Anyone done anything similar?

You are right on with what you are feeling and your thoughts.

I can definitely say that a quality low rumble does add a pretty unique feel to the game. Feeling the tight punch of the speaker and the shaker for the first time was like whhooooa.... Your shaker feels like it's on roids when they sync up...

I have a pretty hefty sound system in the game room. Eventually I'll hook some pins up to it as a final level of testing. Why? just because....

20220111_074340 (resized).jpg20220111_074340 (resized).jpg20220111_074412 (resized).jpg20220111_074412 (resized).jpg

#6218 2 years ago
Quoted from El_Patron:

Thanks for the report. I plan to do the same to take a close look, maybe take a slow mo video, to see how it rolls back there. Thanks again.

El_Patron what did you find?

#6219 2 years ago
Quoted from sushko:

I'm going to have to check out mine as it's not feeding the flipper as nicely as when I first got my game. If it is not flush I would think you would be more likely to have it not feed flipper properly. You want the ball to hug that back wall.

sushko what did you end up finding?

#6220 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

SkyKing what did you find?

Out of town for work unfortunately, but will slow mo video and analyze this weekend and let you know.

#6221 2 years ago

Got most of my mods in. Waiting for scoop illumination, and wizardMod apron cover. Also have to put Mothra in and the fighter jet in. Sorry for background noise.

#6222 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Got most of my mods in. Waiting for scoop illumination, and wizardMod apron cover. Also have to put Mothra in. Sorry for background noise.

Looks good. Where did you get that mecha-Godzilla from?

#6223 2 years ago
Quoted from NovaCade:

Looks good. Where did you get that mecha-Godzilla from?

Thank you! Got it on eBay. It’s a 1983 Bandai. Bought it from this seller

ebay.com link: 1983 Bandai MECHAGODZILLA 8 movie monster Toho Vinyl Figure sofubi Godzilla

#6224 2 years ago

That’s what I have in mine as well. Perfectly sized and era correct

Thank you! Got it on eBay. It’s a 1983 Bandai. Bought it from this seller
ebay.com link: 1983 Bandai MECHAGODZILLA 8 movie monster Toho Vinyl Figure sofubi Godzilla

#6225 2 years ago

sushko what did you end up finding?

It was flush with the back and I would think that is the proper fit. I would like to say, and someone else posted this to. The game has been getting dirty really fast. I have cleaned it three times already. I think Stern hasn't been cleaning the parts of the oils from manufacturing. My Titan silicone rubber was black. I cleaned it up and it's shooting properly again.

#6226 2 years ago

Best score yet. Love this game!

20220111_161503 (resized).jpg20220111_161503 (resized).jpg
#6227 2 years ago

Where is the EQ in the game menu? Can’t find it anywhere.

#6228 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Where is the EQ in the game menu? Can’t find it anywhere.

In utilities, then volume

#6229 2 years ago

You know it hasn't been mentioned much, but I think it's worth mentioning. It's something I find myself really loving about this game...it's one thing that is really tough, but keeps you trying and trying and coming back and putting in all of your quarters, per se...

...It's the fact that that scoop is no gimme shot.

I mean, how awesome of a feeling is it to hit the right ramp, and then the left ramp and then right off the bat letting the ball roll towards the tip of the left flipper and then jamming in the scoop. You're like, YES!! Awesome!!!! Haha.

Because if that ball doesn't go right in the scoop, you find yourself just trying and trying and trying again...and sometimes you have some random 4-bounce of the ball that ultimately lands in the scoop and you're like, YES! Awesome!!! Hahaha.

Other times you're just doing subtle little tap passes and finessing the pathway of the ball and maybe just trying to hit that left ramp again just to give it one more shot to see if you can't slam it in the scoop on the fly... Hilarious, but such a good time and such a smart move on Keith Elwin's part, because ya gotta get in that scoop to progress the battles, but it's no gimme, and I love that.

#6230 2 years ago

FYI - going to move my speaker upgrade info to it's own thread. This will help keep this thread cleaner and make the topic easier for others to find.

I'll still post stuff here as I try different things out on GZ, it just won't be as detailed.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route#post-6709438

#6231 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

That’s what I have in mine as well. Perfectly sized and era correct

Exactly! Looks like it was there all along. Definitely worth the $49 I paid for it

#6232 2 years ago
Quoted from davegauth:

FYI - going to move my speaker upgrade info to it's own thread. This will help keep this thread cleaner and make the topic easier for others to find.
I'll still post stuff here as I try different things out on GZ, it just won't be as detailed.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route#post-6709438

Thank you for all you did. I added the kicker 4” speakers and a 8” sub I had that I bought for a another pin. Plus your EQ settings made a big improvement. Just have to add my Polk SW10 to the mix. Such an awesome pin that will never leave my home.

#6233 2 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

You know it hasn't been mentioned much, but I think it's worth mentioning. It's something I find myself really loving about this game...it's one thing that is really tough, but keeps you trying and trying and coming back and putting in all of your quarters, per se...
...It's the fact that that scoop is no gimme shot.
I mean, how awesome of a feeling is it to hit the right ramp, and then the left ramp and then right off the bat letting the ball roll towards the tip of the left flipper and then jamming in the scoop. You're like, YES!! Awesome!!!! Haha.
Because if that ball doesn't go right in the scoop, you find yourself just trying and trying and trying again...and sometimes you have some random 4-bounce of the ball that ultimately lands in the scoop and you're like, YES! Awesome!!! Hahaha.
Other times you're just doing subtle little tap passes and finessing the pathway of the ball and maybe just trying to hit that left ramp again just to give it one more shot to see if you can't slam it in the scoop on the fly... Hilarious, but such a good time and such a smart move on Keith Elwin's part, because ya gotta get in that scoop to progress the battles, but it's no gimme, and I love that.

Love when you hit the scoop when it bounces off the slings. Definitely not a gimme shot at all. I was hating on the art style of the game and wasn’t going to get it. I even started a thread before it was officially announced, dream theme. I hated how sparse the pro looked.

That all changed once I played a pro on location. Love it! Added mods to make it look way better than stock. Played an LE and I don’t miss any of the premium/LE mechs at all, especially since I added the drake tower, bridge, Godzilla, and MechaGodzilla.

#6234 2 years ago

Looking for a little help here, I don't have my premium in-house yet, but I'm working on having my mods ready to go when that day arrives. Can someone with a manual,post an image of the coindoor board? I'm hoping to tap into the DC power supply on that board, I believe it's cn9. I'm curious as to the voltage there.

#6235 2 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Looking for a little help here, I don't have my premium in-house yet, but I'm working on having my mods ready to go when that day arrives. Can someone with a manual,post an image of the coindoor board? I'm hoping to tap into the DC power supply on that board, I believe it's cn9. I'm curious as to the voltage there.

You can go to sterns page and down load the manual

#6236 2 years ago

Love when you hit the scoop when it bounces off the slings. Definitely not a gimme shot at all. I was hating on the art style of the game and wasn’t going to get it. I even started a thread before it was officially announced, dream theme. I hated how sparse the pro looked.
That all changed once I played a pro on location. Love it! Added mods to make it look way better than stock. Played an LE and I don’t miss any of the premium/LE mechs at all, especially since I added the drake tower, bridge, Godzilla, and MechaGodzilla.

Your video above ^^ looks awesome!!!!
Yeah, this game is a blast, and I too have really been enjoying both the gameplay as well as the mods!!

#6237 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

You can go to sterns page and down load the manual

I wasn't aware it was available, thanks.

#6238 2 years ago
Quoted from sushko:

It was flush with the back and I would think that is the proper fit. I would like to say, and someone else posted this to. The game has been getting dirty really fast. I have cleaned it three times already. I think Stern hasn't been cleaning the parts of the oils from manufacturing. My Titan silicone rubber was black. I cleaned it up and it's shooting properly again.

interesting on the cleaning point - this is my first/only machine and I've been surprised how quickly the rubbers get dirty - I assumed it was because I was doing something wrong, even though I've built up my knowledge and supplies from nothing to what seem like some standard best practices - so maybe there isn't that next thing I have yet to figure out for keeping under the playfield properly clean

#6239 2 years ago

Thank you for all you did. I added the kicker 4” speakers and a 8” sub I had that I bought for a another pin. Plus your EQ settings made a big improvement. Just have to add my Polk SW10 to the mix. Such an awesome pin that will never leave my home.

You are welcome. What sub did you install?

#6240 2 years ago

interesting on the cleaning point - this is my first/only machine and I've been surprised how quickly the rubbers get dirty - I assumed it was because I was doing something wrong, even though I've built up my knowledge and supplies from nothing to what seem like some standard best practices - so maybe there isn't that next thing I have yet to figure out for keeping under the playfield properly clean

The stock black rubbers contribute greatly to the buildup of black “dirt” in the game. I always replace everything with Titans as soon as I get the pin. Huge difference.

#6241 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

The stock black rubbers contribute greatly to the buildup of black “dirt” in the game. I always replace everything with Titans as soon as I get the pin. Huge difference.

Yup - I got titans early in the process and have had them for a while. And it's the quickness with which the titans get blacker that has surprised me.

#6242 2 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I agree with you on the stock rubber but this game seems to have oil on something that is causing it to get dirty faster than any other game I have in my collection.

#6243 2 years ago

Hey Guys -- quick question. Is there a good place to go to get an explanation of items in the "feature adjustments" menu? For example, you can set qualify Kaiju Battle to "easy", "medium" or "hard"... but what does that mean? I can't find anything in manuals, etc.

#6244 2 years ago
Quoted from Drain-O:

Hey Guys -- quick question. Is there a good place to go to get an explanation of items in the "feature adjustments" menu? For example, you can set qualify Kaiju Battle to "easy", "medium" or "hard"... but what does that mean? I can't find anything in manuals, etc.

You won’t find anything. Best to try it out and see what happens.

#6245 2 years ago

One of the first things I do is rip the black rubber and sleeves out. At the same time full cliffys installed.

Quoted from crwjumper:

#6246 2 years ago

Are the coil stops on pinballife an improved version or are they the same poor quality that stern uses? Pinball life lists the stern part #.

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html

#6247 2 years ago

Got most of my mods in. Waiting for scoop illumination, and wizardMod apron cover. Also have to put Mothra in and the fighter jet in. Sorry for background noise.

Never been a fan of jet Jaguar, but that looks awesome next to the Tesla strike towers. Nice looking ride.

#6248 2 years ago

I got my NIB GZ premium 13 days ago and my insider connected says I've played 325 games. So glad I got this for my first machine. Been playing since the early 90's and I just can't stop playing this machine. The best part is that my son absolutely loves it, and it's his first time playing. He has over 150 plays himself, makes a father proud!

#6249 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Good News for those suffering from the broken plastic at the Magna Grab from the Bridge. Spoke with Eddie stern today, they have a kit that will help with the issue. Not sure when Distributors will be told about the kit, as my distro has not heard yet.
[quoted image]

Anyone heard any updates for this? I have a sad magna grab, got on the list for a replacement but haven't heard anything in quite some time.

IMG_0873 2 (resized).jpgIMG_0873 2 (resized).jpg
#6250 2 years ago
Quoted from TheOriginalWiz:

Anyone heard any updates for this? I have a sad magna grab, got on the list for a replacement but haven't heard anything in quite some time.
[quoted image]

Yeah this happened to me yesterday. Bummer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
$ 210.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 27,318 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 547.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/125?hl=slghokie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.