gdz opto receiver (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_215256_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1439 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408-172718 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240408-172819 (resized).png
IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5052 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27,335 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 547.
#5751 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Added one item to the cart and calculated shipping for Hawaii. Cheapest option is $29.37, so pretty much a nonstarter to shop there unless product not available anywhere else and I absolutely have to have it.

Yeah, I think they use UPS exclusively now, so non-continental US shipping is gonna be expensive.

#5752 2 years ago

Everyone loves this game. It’s great, but…Here’s a few things that I don’t like just for conversation sake.

-The extra balls. They are just automatically rewarded? I want to light it and collect it as I find it very satisfying to do so.

- The sound / EQ. The callouts sound like they were recorded in a tin can. I’m sure this is to make it sound like it’s from the early 70’s but…it doesn’t sound great. I put a headphone jack in and I don’t even use it because the sound is so piercing (and yes…I’m very high quality headphones)

-The MechaGZ spinner insert. It’s a small detail but I’d love to see that light yellow like the other inserts (especially in the Ebirah mode)

- Insert color choice for MB and modes. They are too similar and it makes me nuts when I’m in a mode and multi. It’s like yellow and light yellow. I’d love for the MB jackpot insert color to something else so the mode and jackpot lights flash in a more obvious way.

- I find the game to be absolutely rife with cheap drains. STDM from the building. Unsaveable Left drain from an incomplete right ramp shot. Lightning fast Right outlane drains from the pop. Terrible drains from the Tailwhip shot at the outlane post and sling post. Ball comes down, bounces off the outlane post, into the sling post and directly into the outlane. I find myself physically wrestling with this machine more than any of the 50 or so games I’ve owned. Feel like I’m playing defense the entire time and I’m quite a good player (not to toot but…) I’ve set this game up so many ways and nothing is really helping. Turned down power to slings and pop a bit…I REALLY don’t want to move to outlane posts in but…maybe I will.

-Bridge and Tank…when they are lit the game won’t allow you to start a battle first before starting. I want to strategize and stack. Not just whack a multiball for points. So when I see ‘Tank’ is lit at the scoop and I can’t start a battle first I’m like “great, what a waste of MB”. Same with Bridge, but that’s on me as most of the time I don’t notice the red bridge light on the sign. Wish it were more obvious when you were close to bridge MB or at least allow you to start a battle in mode (or after hitting one super jackpot or something.

#5754 2 years ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Following DeathHimself 's lead, I got a 2002 TOHO Bandai Mothra and installed it back there. Here's one on eBay:
ebay.com link: itm
Honestly, the empty back right of the playfield and Mothra and Saucer plastic cheap out by Stern are among the very few complaints I have about this game. The tdiddy's Tesla Strike mods took care of the back right, and the 2002 Mothra is outstanding for giving proper respect to my favorite Godzilla character. Looking forward to Lior's Saucer replacement mod to take care of that last poke in the eye from the factory.

Thank you so much!! How did you mount yours?

#5755 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Oh cool!! Thank you!! Where did you get the fighter jet from?

#5756 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Everyone loves this game. It’s great, but…Here’s a few things that I don’t like just for conversation sake.
-The extra balls. They are just automatically rewarded? I want to light it and collect it as I find it very satisfying to do so.
-The MechaGZ spinner insert. It’s a small detail but I’d love to see that light yellow like the other inserts (especially in the Ebirah mode)
- Insert color choice for MB and modes. They are too similar and it makes me nuts when I’m in a mode and multi. It’s like yellow and light yellow. I’d love for the MB jackpot insert color to something else so the mode and jackpot lights flash in a more obvious way.
- I find the game to be absolutely rife with cheap drains. STDM from the building. Unsaveable Left drain from an incomplete right ramp shot. Lightning fast Right outlane drains from the pop. Terrible drains from the Tailwhip shot at the outlane post and sling post. Ball comes down, bounces off the outlane post, into the sling post and directly into the outlane. I find myself physically wrestling with this machine more than any of the 50 or so games I’ve owned. Feel like I’m playing defense the entire time and I’m quite a good player (not to toot but…) I’ve set this game up so many ways and nothing is really helping. Turned down power to slings and pop a bit…I REALLY don’t want to move to outlane posts in but…maybe I will.
-Bridge and Tank…when they are lit the game won’t allow you to start a battle first before starting. I want to strategize and stack. Not just whack a multiball for points. So when I see ‘Tank’ is lit at the scoop and I can’t start a battle first I’m like “great, what a waste of MB”. Same with Bridge, but that’s on me as most of the time I don’t notice the red bridge light on the sign. Wish it were more obvious when you were close to bridge MB or at least allow you to start a battle in mode (or after hitting one super jackpot or something.

You’re last two complaints are 100% fixed by simply playing better.

#5757 2 years ago

I mean, I would say exactly that to anyone who posted this but…This game is infuriating even our best league players (including myself). Maybe I just got a junky build but this thing is straight up chucking 90mph drains at everyone. One session I loosened the tilt bob and the game was halfway across the street by the end of the night haha. The highest GC here is 1.4 bil…which really ain’t much considering the scoring.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’re last two complaints are 100% fixed by simply playing better.

#5758 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I mean, I would say exactly that to anyone who posted this but…This game is infuriating even our best league players (including myself). Maybe I just got a junky build but this thing is straight up chucking 90mph drains at everyone. One session I loosened the tilt bob and the game was halfway across the street by the end of the night haha. The highest GC here is 1.4 bil…which really ain’t much considering the scoring.

Setup makes a big difference in smoothness of loops and ramps, not sure how much it affects outlane drains. I don't think GZ is particularly brutal in that regard, but it's certainly not a cakewalk of a game. My Johnny Mnemonic was much worse when it came to outlane drains; as soon as you hit the slings, it was almost always bye bye. You could always move the posts down if it's too brutal in that regard. Nothing wrong with setting up the game so that you can enjoy it. And anything over 1 bil is very good. And while getting in the 1 bil club isn't hard for a good player, I still think that's respectable.

Also, I believe doing well in Bridge or Tank MB will award an EB, if I'm not mistaken? So worth more than just points, also you can charge the spinner up during MBs too. Which you can save for later, so that's useful. And you can progress Tesla towers as well. So IDK, more than just playing a MB for a MB's sake.

#5759 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I will say I’m not sure how it’s possible to get a left outlane drain from a missed right ramp shot. Maybe it is your setup.

#5760 2 years ago

I'm thinking of really leaning into the playfield coloring, and do green bats with blue rubbers...anyone know a good place to find sold green flippers? All i've been able to find so far are translucent/transparent versions, or one with the Williams W

#5761 2 years ago

Love my UFO mod.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#5762 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I will say I’m not sure how it’s possible to get a left outlane drain from a missed right ramp shot. Maybe it is your setup.

I've had that happen, but only when i hit the ramp from a very specific angle (it perfectly lands right between the posts)...typically failed right ramps for me go to the center flippers or slings, tho

#5763 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

None of that will change. It’s standard. The only way to combat it is to play with all the lights on or add some stadium lights into the game that are always on.

You know I was kind of thinking about that.

As time has gone on, I have sort of moved away from the stadium lights and have preferred adding spotlights if a little bit more light is what I'm looking for...but in this game, I might not mind it so much if there were some subtle stadium lights that could always be on.

Only problem that I can think of is that the Pinstadium lights hook up to GI, and it's the GI that's going out during these insert light shows (making the playfield overall quite dark while your ball is out there somewhere, haha), and I would imagine the stadium lights would go off as well during those times, right? Or are they always on? I do know you can adjust the brightness of the pinstadium lighting so that it doesn't have to be brutally bright if you don't want it to. Anyone can clarify on that?

EDIT: I had a set of Pinstadiums laying around from a previous game and went ahead and installed them just to see what the effect would be on this game. I did not hook up the UV flasher, just the GI and set the brightness to about 15%. Let me say that this really helped out a lot with seeing the ball during some of the darkest parts of the light shows (again, for me, I play in a very dark game room) and I have to admit that overall it really did help visualization of the playfield and ballplay in general, but also it really accented the light show quite a fair and surprising amount and the electricity/powerline/Tesla strikes actually came across even more electric, even without the UV flasher. Might be interesting to somehow tie that UV flasher into those powerline/Tesla strikes now that I'm thinking about it...

#5764 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All the time….

On multiple Godzillas. Bad shots to the ramp are no bueno

Weak orbits are deadly too

#5765 2 years ago

My bad…I meant the return from the destruction jackpot orbit.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

#5766 2 years ago
Quoted from Muymanwell:

I'm thinking of really leaning into the playfield coloring, and do green bats with blue rubbers...anyone know a good place to find sold green flippers? All i've been able to find so far are translucent/transparent versions, or one with the Williams W

Green metallic without W logo in Europe:
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/flipper-components/flipper/2376/flipper-without-logo-green-metallic?c=2212

#5767 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yeah that’s deadly for sure. Have to have some well timed nudges to get the ball into the rubber by the Maser target.

#5768 2 years ago

I don’t get a lot of cheap drains on mine but every game is definitely a workout. And yeah anytime it starts coming back from the destruction orbit be on your toes and start nudging.

#5769 2 years ago

Has anyone tried putting an extra rubber ring on that post to bounce it out of drain trajectory? I might give that a try. Even nudging is futile on mine 80% of the time.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah that’s deadly for sure. Have to have some well timed nudges to get the ball into the rubber by the Maser target.

#5770 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Has anyone tried putting an extra rubber ring on that post to bounce it out of drain trajectory? I might give that a try. Even nudging is futile on mine 80% of the time.

Don’t

#5771 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

How steep is yours set? I'm around 6.8 or so, and orbit rejects are usually hitting near/below the maser target and bounce to the right flipper or sling area. Occasionally I'll get one to the outlane, but usually not.

Right ramp rejects are deadly, but I can often save them or they angle toward the left flipper enough anyway. I would think both the orbit and ramp rejects could be heavily impacted by PF pitch. If you're extra steep, try going to the 6.8 range and see if you cut down pin those cheaper drains some.

My most frustrating drains are slow rollers out of the tailwhip lane, off the sling post, and into the outlane. I friggin hate that, especially when it was a deliberate shot to the mecha spinner or that lane directly that just slowed down enough for whatever reason...

Second worst for me is a SDTM from the opposite building shot/wallop shot. I wish the ballsave there was limited by two drains/uses, and not just the first two shots to that lane, drain or not. I hit it fairly often somehow, usually saving it - but invariably late in the game when I need the ballsave its been spent, often without ever draining from that shot, and then boom, SDTM.

#5772 2 years ago

Has anyone had their Premium or LE lock completely up when the building was collapsing to start multiball? I didn’t witness it, but I was told as the building was lowering, the game just flat-out locked up including the LCD screen. They had to cycle the power to get it going again.

I haven’t heard anything since, so I’m under the impression it may have just been a random incident.

#5773 2 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

Has anyone had their Premium or LE lock completely up when the building was collapsing to start multiball? I didn’t witness it, but I was told as the building was lowering, the game just flat-out locked up including the LCD screen. They had to cycle the power to get it going again.
I haven’t heard anything since, so I’m under the impression it may have just been a random incident.

almost 400 plays in, haven't seen that once.

#5774 2 years ago

My game seems to play perfect. I have no complaints.

#5775 2 years ago

Installed Titan rubbers and side blades today. Looks great.

2304680F-4840-4BD4-99DD-578AB8DD5A36 (resized).jpeg2304680F-4840-4BD4-99DD-578AB8DD5A36 (resized).jpeg

16909EEE-64DB-495B-9976-C89648E22F76 (resized).jpeg16909EEE-64DB-495B-9976-C89648E22F76 (resized).jpeg

#5776 2 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Installed Titan rubbers and side blades today. Looks great.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Are the flipper toppers from wiz? They look pretty nice.

#5777 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Are the flipper toppers from wiz? They look pretty nice.

Side blades and flipper toppers, yes.

#5778 2 years ago

heard

I originally set it up with the bubble right in the middle…lots of cheap drains. Then I set it a bit flatter how I liked my IMDN…lots of cheap drains. Today I set it steep and figured that would do it but…lots of cheap drains. Maybe I just need to put more time on it. Our location players have been all over it since I unboxed. That’s tapering off now so that I can finally play it without feeling like a hog.

Quoted from PinKopf:

How steep is yours set? I'm around 6.8 or so, and orbit rejects are usually hitting near/below the maser target and bounce to the right flipper or sling area. Occasionally I'll get one to the outlane, but usually not.
Right ramp rejects are deadly, but I can often save them or they angle toward the left flipper enough anyway. I would think both the orbit and ramp rejects could be heavily impacted by PF pitch. If you're extra steep, try going to the 6.8 range and see if you cut down pin those cheaper drains some.
My most frustrating drains are slow rollers out of the tailwhip lane, off the sling post, and into the outlane. I friggin hate that, especially when it was a deliberate shot to the mecha spinner or that lane directly that just slowed down enough for whatever reason...
Second worst for me is a SDTM from the opposite building shot/wallop shot. I wish the ballsave there was limited by two drains/uses, and not just the first two shots to that lane, drain or not. I hit it fairly often somehow, usually saving it - but invariably late in the game when I need the ballsave its been spent, often without ever draining from that shot, and then boom, SDTM.

#5779 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

All the time….
On multiple Godzillas. Bad shots to the ramp are no bueno
Weak orbits are deadly too

Just put one of those little circle felt stick pads toward the bottom of the right ramp. Can't see it and I haven't had a cheap drain from there since.

#5780 2 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I agree - went with the same for my Pro. It matches the on-screen GZ from the building MB videos, etc. I like the gray look over the greener figures. That said it doesn't match the overly green GZ playfield artwork as well...

Stern made him look like the Geico Gecko painting him bright green. He's supposed to be dark green not bright green.

#5781 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Just put one of those little circle felt stick pads toward the bottom of the right ramp. Can't see it and I haven't had a cheap drain from there since.

Do you have a picture of that? Thanks.

#5782 2 years ago

I'm pretty good at live catching and trapping up. I have more difficulty with those items on this machine than any other machine I own. I rather enjoy that aspect of it. However; I was just wondering if that's the case with other Godzilla machines in the wild. Anyone else notice this feature on their machines? It could just be my setup.

#5783 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Are missed shots like halfway ramp shots that come back and drain considered “cheap drains”? I always thought cheap drains were like hitting drop targets and going airborn into the outlanes or a scoop ejecting a ball SDTM. Like the player did nothing wrong but the game cheated them. Legit wondering, not being a smart ass.

#5784 2 years ago

If it’s nearly impossible to save with nudging and slap saves…it’s cheap imo. Or…at the very least it feels cheap.

Quoted from Chisox:

Are missed shots like halfway ramp shots that come back and drain considered “cheap drains”? I always thought cheap drains were like hitting drop targets and going airborn into the outlanes or a scoop ejecting a ball SDTM. Like the player did nothing wrong but the game cheated them. Legit wondering, not being a smart ass.

#5785 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

100% agree. A cheap drain implies it’s unavoidable. I find it rare that a drain is actually like that. On any game.

#5786 2 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I'm pretty good at live catching and trapping up. I have more difficulty with those items on this machine than any other machine I own. I rather enjoy that aspect of it. However; I was just wondering if that's the case with other Godzilla machines in the wild. Anyone else notice this feature on their machines? It could just be my setup.

My game is much harder to trap up than most. My flippers were set up much lower than usual from the factory which makes trapping up a bitch and post passing nearly impossible. I’m always hesitant to change the flipper angle as I know the designer often does this intentionally to jive with the playfield layout.

#5787 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

My game is much harder to trap up than most. My flippers were set up much lower than usual from the factory which makes trapping up a bitch and post passing nearly impossible. I’m always hesitant to change the flipper angle as I know the designer often does this intentionally to jive with the playfield layout.

Yeah mine appears to be the same. I can post pass but trapping up is a challenge. I do kind of enjoy it. It's a change of pace. I was just making sure it wasn't something on my machine. Thanks for the information!

#5788 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Just put some rubber bands on your outlanes

#5789 2 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Yeah mine appears to be the same. I can post pass but trapping up is a challenge. I do kind of enjoy it. It's a change of pace. I was just making sure it wasn't something on my machine. Thanks for the information!

I was wondering the same so I thank you as well . So many ski passes back and forth. I really like it personally, every time I think I have it trapped it just rolls up a hair too much and it’s an emergency tip pass to the other flipper (or it drops between the flippers in slo-mo) haha.

#5790 2 years ago
Quoted from troon47:

Do you have a picture of that? Thanks.

The anti cheap drain pad

20220102_232836 (resized).jpg20220102_232836 (resized).jpg
#5791 2 years ago

One more thing and I’m done. As a spinner whore I just want to declare my love for Tesla strike mode and how the lighting and sound and that glorious middle spinner charging the teslas will never get old. In a game with an endless list of highlights, this is one of my favorites.

#5792 2 years ago

no.

Quoted from Delta9:

Just put some rubber bands on your outlanes

#5793 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Thank you!!

#5794 2 years ago

Got Tdiddy’s tower mod. Only used 2 since I have JJ in the back corner. Used the extra matrix connecter and tied in a blue led strip that is nestled in Godzilla’s fins.

#5795 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

The anti cheap drain pad[quoted image]

Did the same thing. No more cheap drains from accidental ramp shots off the upper flipper. I do occasionally get drains from weak or rattled upper loop shots where the ball rolls straight into the left outline.

#5796 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

- The sound / EQ. The callouts sound like they were recorded in a tin can. I’m sure this is to make it sound like it’s from the early 70’s but…it doesn’t sound great. I put a headphone jack in and I don’t even use it because the sound is so piercing (and yes…I’m very high quality headphones)

I don’t have the cheap drains you’re talking about. As a matter of fact, I find this pin so much more forgiving than a lot of sterns I’ve played.

It doesn’t sound like your happy with it. You can get a premium for it if you sell it now and prob can straight up for an Elvira HOH

#5797 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

100% agree. A cheap drain implies it’s unavoidable. I find it rare that a drain is actually like that. On any game.

Play TMNT

#5798 2 years ago

Not sure if anyone posted but I had a killer secret skill shot today. It was around the upper left flipper then straight into the scoop. Awarded me 11X2 Million and the Extra Ball during multiball.

#5799 2 years ago

I know from other owners threads that we we’ve both been in that you’re a much better player than I am so I have no doubt that your issues are legit. Have you played anyone else's game for comparison? I have the nastiest Stranger Things (confirmed by 3 other STh owners) and we can’t figure out why.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tampa, FL
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 210.00
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 27,335 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 547.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/116 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.