20240318_152015 (resized).jpg
20240318_152006 (resized).jpg
20240318_152751 (resized).jpg
20240316_201946 (resized).jpg
20240316_201708 (resized).jpg
IMG_3104 (resized).jpeg
20240303_090153 (resized).jpg
IMG_8413 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Fan isn’t going to do much there. The magnet is above the PF. And the only magnet burn solution there ever was for TAF was the fuse.

Isn't that just a post? The actual magnet coil is below the playfield, isn't it?

EDIT: Confirmed. It's a big coil under the PF that drives the post you see on the topside. So a fan mechanism to cool it could be easily added as an option to the Tibetan Breeze flipper cooling kit for Spike. I'll check out the temps when I lay hands on a Godzilla and if it is getting really hot, I'll make an add-on to cool this down.
godzilla-magnet (resized).jpggodzilla-magnet (resized).jpg

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from RoyalJack:

Thank you PinMonk, I'd definitely be interested if you design one.

I'm thinking about doing launch themed Tibetan Breeze kits that are green with the footprint on the fan screen. If I do that and the magnet needs cooling, I'll have it match, too.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from UnholySpectacle:

I can confirm that the magnet is an issue. Played around 6 hours today on a pro and we had to let the machine sit between games or else the magnet would stop working due to the heat. We also had some longer 3 player games where the magnet was working to start and mid game it would die. Surprisingly it would sometimes start working again mid game.

Sounds like maybe a thermal switch is being used? Or (hopefully) they used the better option and have a temp probe on the coil and are using software to turn the coil off when it gets too hot then back on again when it cools down. Either would explain why the coil starts working again mid-game after being off for a while.

Given that Stern has the ability to do microsecond pulse duty cycles, it may not get fixed without active cooling (and I guess this confirms I'm doing it), but it should be a lot BETTER with some attention paid to the duty cycle of the magnet on future software updates.

#117 2 years ago

I now have a Special Launch Edition version of the Tibetan Breeze kit for Godzilla available.

This is a 3 flipper kit, which is unusual for Spike since I just do the 2 flipper plus an add-on kit normally due to the right/left orientation for the 3rd flipper being specific to each machine. It also has custom translucent green brackets with a rippled/scaly back for the fan guard. It's in the pinmonk store here:

https://pinmonk.com/products/tibetan-breeze-v1-5-spike-3-flipper-coil-cooling-kit-special-launch-edition

This kit also has an extra power connector left over that will work with the forthcoming magnet cooler that will be sold separately as an option.

The normal Spike red 2 flipper Tibetan breeze kits also work and will be the standard once this Special Launch Edition is over.

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Vic other than the colour is there any difference? Looks like the feet area is a slightly different shape to the regular red kits? Curious as these might fit my Mando better. Thanks dude.

Small differences, but Mando will still have to be mounted on the opposite side over the EOS mounting post due to the "V" placement of the flipper plates.

#121 2 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Can your forthcoming magnet cooler be used with the existing two flipper system?

Absolutely, but you'd need to get the third flipper that has the splitter and extra 7.5' power lead. The third flipper would use one of the connectors, and that would leave the 4th for the magnet cooler.

These launch edition ones are basically just themed green and come in a 3 flipper configuration in the box, so no adding on needed. Functionally, they're the same as the red.

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from RoyalJack:

I just made my 1st official PinMonk purchase! Thanks for making these available.

Thanks for the support! Godzilla inspired me a bit and the translucent green turned out nice. I originally wanted a footprint hole on the fan screen, but they all came out looking like the screen had melted rather than an actual footprint, so after trying dozens of ways to try to improve it without success, went with the textured "scaly" surface and called it good.

Standard SPIKE red or translucent green brackets, both the versions will keep the flippers cool and the 3 flipper setups also provide a way to hook up the magnet cooling if you want to get that.

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

Quick draft print+paint to get general idea on how well it translated. Next draft I'll have the print+paint edges more refined, now that I'm decently satisfied with the saucer shape. For the blue translucent, I'm hoping its light enough where the red+white LED from the game will shine through...but since I dont have similar LEDs at home I can test with it, will have to wait till the game comes in to play with it. if it masks it too much, will change it to a white translucent instead like one on the original pop bumper.
[quoted image]

You could also print the center section as a translucent disc and then print the top and bottom separately and snap them together. Would look really great if it's lit from inside.

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

My son's saucer mod on the actual game.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would suggest importing the model into Blender and do some processing there which would allow for smoother curves on the saucer and the beam and then maybe reduce the layer height a bit when he slices it.

1 week later
#234 2 years ago

Magnet cooling is almost done. After playing with various options to distribute the flow from the standard cooling fan, it became clear that due to the size/shape of the coil surface area that needed to be cooled, splitting the load into two fans was the only real option. So one fan became two smaller ones. I preserved almost all the total CFM of the bigger fan and the two fans together are 1dB quieter than the single larger fan. So, I'm pretty sure this will be the final configuration, pending more temp testing on long games.

(Ignore the extra wires, it's kind of a rat's nest with the temp probe wires and fan wires right now. End user installs won't have the temp probes, obviously)

dual-fan-magnet-cooling-sml (resized).jpgdual-fan-magnet-cooling-sml (resized).jpg

#245 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Finalising a design for a brushed aluminium laser cut action button plate.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I think this is the mecha-godzilla profile from the same era as the game's one (needs the full tail, though)...
mecha-zilla (resized).jpgmecha-zilla (resized).jpg

#250 2 years ago
Quoted from jGraffix:

[quoted image]

Might be cool to put the kanji for "Heat Ray" on the other side...熱線

heat-ray (resized).pngheat-ray (resized).png
#287 2 years ago
Quoted from RoyalJack:

PinMonk I hope you don't mind but I shot a quick unboxing video of your Special Launch Edition 3 flipper cooling kit! This was my first pinmonk purchase and I'm very happy with what I see so far. I plan to do an install video as soon as I get some time set aside.

Very nice video. Thanks for taking the time to do it!

I made the Godzilla Tibetan Breeze kits Special Launch Edition 1 because I could see it getting confusing when I did it for another pin in the future in another color, etc. So whatever pin gets the treatment next would be Special Launch Edition 2, etc. The SLE versions are only designed to be for the launch windows of new pins as a little "extra" special color and all-in-one 3 flipper spike kit. The translucent green turned out very cool. Once we're past launch, the SLE kits go away and it's back to standard Spike red kits (which you can still get now instead if that's your preference).

Due to the specific left/right orientation of the bracket bases on Spike, the "standard" red spike kit is 2 flipper only and you have to get the separate add-on (in right or left orientation, depending on flipper plate placement) single bracket to make a 3rd flipper kit. So only the SLE kits will be 3 flipper (if there are 3 flippers in any specific game) all-in-one boxes.

#292 2 years ago

PinMonk, Any updates for the magnet fan availability?

Should be done with testing next week. Was hoping we'd get in another software release before then that makes the magnet work a bit harder so it's more grabby again and the test is harder for the fans, but they do work well currently.

#319 2 years ago
Quoted from CFES:

Here is our 10 piece Godzilla color guard protector set. Available soon.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Haha! The screw on the post for your left side clear plastic is out on yours, too!

#322 2 years ago
Quoted from CFES:

Haha..Still looking for it.

On mine, game one I caught a glance of a piece of something sliding down the playfield in a hectic multiball. Turns out it was that screw. I eventually found it to the side of the coin box in the cabinet. Then I had to figure out where the screw came from and finally located the same post as on yours that is missing the screw, too.

1 week later
#354 2 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Beginnings of the Subway building. [quoted image]

Looks nice, but the area to the left of the direction arrows is a little sparse. It might be nice to add Japanese above the English for each entry to make them more like actual signs you'd see on the road and on JR/Subway. Would make it totally on-theme.
japanese-direction-signs (resized).jpgjapanese-direction-signs (resized).jpg

#356 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Agreed. Subway in Japanese with small English letters below would be cool as well. Subway in Japanese is chikatetsu... I posted the Kanji for it early on in this thread.

Given it's for the English audience here, I'd be fine with small Japanese and bigger English. But having both would make it a more authentic sign that you would seen in Japan.

#373 2 years ago

My hiragana skills are rusty but isn’t that “yuke yuke Gojira”. When you want “iku” for go.

It works as-is, but seems like 行け would have been more fitting.

1 week later
#418 2 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
Putting on the playfield protector, ended up busting the funky 3/8" post with the black plastic that holds up the mid-left spotlight. Busted off the threaded end inside of the 3" hex post, and don't have the stuff to get the screw end out of it. So off to order some 3" hex posts......
But the real question is, where does this thing go?[quoted image]

The screw goes through the small hole and the scalloped end comes up from the bottom of the spotlight bezel to hold the light in. I personally think these are incredibly ugly and the electrical tape fix (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights) works the same and you don't see anything at all once the light is installed.

1 month later
#603 2 years ago
Quoted from rdawsoniii:

Suggestion for all those offering mods for sale: make a video showing the installation step by step. Pictures don’t always show everything, and a written description isn’t always clear.

For clarity, I'm not a fan of photos for instructions. It's why I use illustrations exclusively and don't use photos. I test the instructions with advance testers before they go out, but if I find that users are getting hung up on a certain step even after release, I modify the instructions with more text or additional illustrations to clarify that step. Below is one panel from one of the kits I sell that was revised based on feedback to make it more clear.

Step-4-revised-sml (resized).jpgStep-4-revised-sml (resized).jpg

It costs more to illustrate instructions, so I don't do it for easy things like the insert color brackets that are basically a few screws and snap it in. But more complicated kits from me always have illustrated instructions.

Enjoy your Godzilla! It's an awesome machine.

3 months later
#1379 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Received and installed my Sleal16 UFO Saucer. Mine's the larger V2 style.
I have to say I am very impressed with the quality and the engineering used to mount it with no screws showing.
I think it actually lights up better than the original as well. Very well done and I highly recommend! [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Stern's steel screw fetish drives me crazy, so any mod that reduces or eliminates the amount of screws visible to the user on plastics, etc is a mod I can get behind.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 120.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy
Toppers
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-mod-thread?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.