IMG_7304 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7071393_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_7309 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7316 (resized).jpeg
20240318_132944 (resized).jpg
20240318_152802 (resized).jpg
20240318_152643 (resized).jpg
20240318_152632 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3182 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So I finally got around to modifying the mini Oxygen destroyer that came with this Super7 figure.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-mod-thread/page/59#post-7181545
It’s only about 1.25 inches long, which won’t obstruct the view of the outlane. But it’s tiny, so you’re going to need some tiny parts to do this. I don’t really feel like buying a bunch of these & modifying them for sale. So here’s what I came up with if someone wants to try their luck….
Here is the Oxygen Destroyer. Yep it sure is tiny, but it has some nice details.
[quoted image]
This is the most critical step. Use an exacto knife & pop the dialed end off. Don’t crack the window. Don’t break the shaft of the ball inside. Be patient.
[quoted image]
I use sticky wax that I melt to secure the LED & put it the whole thing back together. It’s easier to mange than superglue. Pretty sure I melted these beads into a solid brick using a heat gun. This block will last me forever. I love this stuff.
[quoted image]
You’re going to need a very tiny LED, which you can find from a hobby website. I found mine on Evan Designs. You can get them in all kinds of colors, sizes & voltages. I used the CHIP size, which is only a couple millimeters long. Make sure you buy the 5v-12V DC LEDs. Stern lighting is all 5V, so these won’t blow & are still bright enough. They come with the transistor attached already.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I use a wax pen to melt the wax & put some in the cap end. Then place the LED & the wax cools around it, keeping it in place. Be careful, the wires are thin & the LED is tiny. Hope you brought your magnifying glasses! You can test the bulb at your workbench with a 6v battery pack if you want.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Use more wax to place the cap back on the housing. Run the wire out the bottom edge.
[quoted image]
You’ll need a mounting bracket. I disassembled an old pop bumper switch I had lying around & used one of the blades cut down to size as needed. Run the wire through a tiny hole. Attach the Oxygen Destroyer using double sided tape.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Time to install. Attach the blade to the post with the screw. My outlane post is set at the conservative position (no apologies) so you can run the wire through the other hole. The wires run to the OD insert. You’ll have to break out your soldering iron. Green wire to the ground, red wire to the other.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
That’s it! Mini OD tied to the insert! Not a mod for a beginner but not really that hard either. I just wanted to see if it could be done. If it takes a direct hit from a flying ball, it’s probably breaking. Enjoy!

Nicely done, and praises deserved for sharing this

1 week later
#3274 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

I've never seen them in person, but i'm guessing powerbladez use EL wire to create that effect? If so that would mean that the inverter box you're talking about is AC, so 120VAC - just to add to the complexity even more .
Looks like there's a couple of options. This opto/triac one looks decent
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/how-do-i-use-5vdc-to-switch-120vac.119977/
[quoted image]
Further down are some discussion around solid state relays that would do the job also, like the S108T01F.
I did some lower level (6.8VAC) AC triggering on the Chase Echo using n-channel power mosfets, with two mosfets wired together to achieve trailing edge dimming. I have no idea if EL wire can be dimmed like that, but wouldn't it be great if powerbladez could get some nice fadey effects going.

Actually, the inverter input is usually 12v DC for EL. So if the poster just wants to turn on/off the entire power blade, you probably need a simpler design by shutting down 12V through a transistor.

I've always been curious, it has to be EL panels, but how do they control the animation on these art blades? Are there multiple inverters, or just one?

#3279 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Actually on godzilla I'd want to keep the animation in tact. The flame up sequence is pretty cool. Thats why im thinking a relay to just on/off the 120v input. As far as the inverter control box is concerned I have no idea what's under the hood. I've used El wire before in mods but never to the complexity of what pingraffix pulls off.
Thinking....would be kind of cool to trigger the left blade godzilla (located behind the godzilla toy) to turn on when the magnet is active. Wonder if Joe from pingraffix wouldn't mind sharing his ribbon pinout.

Well, can you share pictures of what the wiring look like? I assume there's a control box, and a set of cables from this box to the El panels?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Island, NY
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

Machine - For Sale
Tampa, FL
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-mod-thread?tu=Ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.