Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Nokoro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tech (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

Two thoughts come to mind. One is switches that are gapped too closely. However, you said that you checked them. Did you check the start button as well?

The other thought is a shorted diode. Go into YouTube and search for TerryB pinball shorted diode switch matrix. He has an excellent video explaining how to diagnose. Basically, you want to look for instances where two switches are closed, and pressing a third switch triggers a fourth switch. If all four switches form a rectangle on the matrix then it is a shorted diode or a short bypassing the diode.

#5 4 years ago

Let me know if you can’t easily find the video, and I can find and post.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from spandol:

Now the challenge. In self test, there are no closed switches.

Switch matrix issues are always so tricky to nail down. In self test, there may not be closed switches because all are open, unlike when you are playing the game. Try to figure out when it happens while you are playing. Are drop targets down, other switches closed, etc.? I often find on the older games, it is easier to diagnose by playing with the glass off and trying different configuration of switches to see what happens.

Quoted from spandol:

Also, how do the flippers come into play with the matrix? I found when nothing was happening and I flipped the right flipper, this caused the game to add credits and a new player. And also the upper right sling is firing when the switches are properly gapped during gameplay. Looking at the matrix, I wasn’t sure how I would start except for checking diodes.

It could be that the EOS switch for the flipper is in the matrix even though it isn't shown. I don't know, i'm not familiar with the particular game.

It could also be that the vibration from the flipper is triggering another switch that is gapped too closely, and that completes the rectangle indicating a shorted diode. Try banging around the playfield with your fist and see if any switches fire when they shouldn't.

Also, it could be nothing is wrong with a diode, and you have a short to ground somewhere. You could inspect all switches, including on the flippers and make sure no wires or lugs are pressed up against lamp sockets or other metal fixtures. I find shorts to ground to be the most difficult. It is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Lastly (for now), it could be a board problem. The way to check for that is in switch test mode, you disconnect the connectors in the back box that correspond to the switch matrix and jump the pins to try to trigger the switches one at a time. If all trigger correctly, then it is not the board, and it is something on the playfield. Again, I don't know enough about this particular pin to advise you on which connectors, and I don't want to mislead you. From the diagram, it looks like a combination of J2 and J3, but I don't know for sure, and I'm not sure why there are two in each column and row. Perhaps ask someone else who owns the game to confirm.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from spandol:

Thanks for the info. I’ll be able to work on it tomorrow, and I will check this out first.
    For some reason, I was going through diodes on the switch matrix but can’t get a reading off the credit button switch or slam tilt switch diode on the coin door. Is this suppose to be way or do I need to unsolder a leg to test?

Typically, you need to desolder it to test. However, technically I think if the switch is open it counts as the same thing. One side should measure infinite resistance and the other side should allow current through.

#13 3 years ago

Nice! Congrats.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-game-resetting-and-adding-players?tu=Nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.