Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_5.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

I was looking through the manuals for several games and noticed a couple things that seemed odd.

First there's been a BIG improvement in the look and design of their game manuals starting with WWE. Thank you.

I noticed that TWD game was the last to use the older style. The pro manual is online, just like all the manuals are.
    image.jpegimage.jpeg
    One thing that bothered me is that the pro manual is over 100 pages smaller that the LE manual. This is because the LE manual has full schematics. The pro manual has the info on the front page to find the info online, but if the entire manual is online, why not include it in the file.
    image.jpegimage.jpeg
    These manuals look poor quality online. I'd almost guess that their just scanned pages form the physical copy.

Every game after WWE looks great.
    image.jpegimage.jpeg
    But here I noticed that the LE games manual is smaller than the pros version....and ya know what's missing; all those schematics that are useful for trouble shooting. Again. These are online files, not printed copies, why not include that info.
    image.jpegimage.jpeg

Now these new mauals are beautiful, don't get me wrong, I like them. I just wish that there was more information included in them.
    image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I really like the colour photos in the set up portion of the manual to show you what to look for and the graphics throughout are clear and easy to follow. But why don't they include the schematics? Could it be that the spike system is not going to get these schematics and you are expected to swap out nodes that break?

#2 8 years ago

I have some stern games from the early 2000s and I thought the manuals were very thorough and easy to understand. Haven't seen the newer ones but any improvement is a good thing.

#3 8 years ago

If you're guessing they scan the pages and add them online I would assume you are correct in the old days.

But hmmm...Spike system I really don't know anything aboot schematics.

#4 8 years ago

Ya, I looked back at some of the older manuals and they're all pretty good, some are even over 200 pages. They are full of schematics and useful information.

I was just shocked not seeing schematics in the GoT manual. They do a good job of labeling wires for troubleshooting, I just thought some were missing useful informaiton.

#5 8 years ago

Monopoly has a great manual with loads of information. Tron Pro, BBH, ACDC Pro manuals are pretty poor by comparison. Photocopied and not nearly as comprehensive.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I'd almost guess that their just scanned pages form the physical copy.

Quoted from fish1975tx:

Photocopied and not nearly as comprehensive.

Yes this is actually what I meant. Some old ones rally look like a scanning OF a photocopy...uff.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from fish1975tx:

Monopoly has a great manual with loads of information. Tron Pro, BBH, ACDC Pro manuals are pretty poor by comparison. Photocopied and not nearly as comprehensive.

I wonder why there's no cohesion among the manuals. Could different designers equate to different manual quality? Possibly different employees in the print department? (Or does Stern contract out manual publications?)

#8 8 years ago

I don't understand why Pro buyers don't get schematics and other critical information for troubleshooting Stern's games. Hopefully it will all end up online eventually.

1 year later
    #9 6 years ago

Why can't they include at least some power wiring schematics and power supply board schematics for the SPIKE system? Don't they want these SPIKE games fixed?

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Why can't they include at least some power wiring schematics and power supply board schematics for the SPIKE system? Don't they want these SPIKE games fixed?

They do want them to be fixed. Call 1-800-kickers and have your credit card handy. A new SPIKE board can be sent right to you. Here is the schematic of it:

CC payment----->working machine

(Yes, this is sarcasm. The closed, disposable nature of SPIKE boards combined with the cost of replacement will eventually destroy the secondary market for SPIKE games. But of course, that's just my opinion.)

#11 6 years ago

I remember when I got my T3. The manual that came with it was great.
    Then I helped out a friend with his MET. The manual in the game was a badly photocopy. And online the manual is the same, but in odd that is un searchable since it is a photocopy. Strange indeed...

1 year later
    #12 5 years ago

Look at the downloadable "Transformers" pro manual. It's a real clusterfuck: mixed up sections, missing sections, and duplicate sections. Plus it's all in black and white. Somebody needs to go back and redo that file.

The Whoa Nellie manual has numerous errors and omissions.

Where are the manuals for "The Pin" (Transformers, Avengrs, and Spiderman) machines?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-game-manuals-lets-talk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.