Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by emo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0.jpg
    Joyyyyy.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

This post comes from reading some of the comments in the WOZ white-wood play-field thread, which made it sound like Sterns Product hadn't developed much. Personally I disagree and think they have made progress. I wondered what others thought and if people think Stern pins have improved, how have they improved?

The thinking behind this post in NOT to organise a fight between Stern fans and haters so please don't turn it into one.

#4 12 years ago

There is definitely a build quality thing as I have CSI (2008/9) next to RBION (2004) and I can see the difference.

#13 12 years ago

From the responses so far it sounds like the choice of theme and game-play rules.

I was actually thinking of evolution in terms quality like lights, sounds, depth and gameplay. The way I see it is:
    1. Stern takes over from a failing Sega and start off producing games like HD, SE and Sharkeys

2. They moved up a gear as LOTR, RBION and TSPP were landmark games in that it was only then that Stern showed that they could make good successful complicated games of a good standard. They also investing in top designers for one off games and put more money into the product.

3.That was followed by a mixed bag of games for a couple of years

4. Then the SAM board system marked better sounds better graphics and a bit of physical refinement, with games like LOTR and Spidey, Iron man, Batman.

5. Financial problems saw a some games go to the market too early (Batman/CSI/NBA/24 updates were too late)

6. Then a change to simpler games

Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Games like Tron, Avatar, Rolling Stones, and IM are designed to be more random with shorter ball times.

7. Then hopefully back to more balanced games with Tron.

Over the years there has been a lot of improvement. Striker Extreme>Tron but I guess unless the theme is right it is all wasted.

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Did you really like the flow of BDK??? To me there were way too many things that grabbed the ball.....the only shot it the game that flowed back to the flipper fast was the right loop.

I think you could say it has nice flow as the shots are all very smooth and sweet and it doesn't hang onto the...... ball but your right BR maybe more flow than speed. Having said that it is fast in multi-ball. Difficult to classify I guess but definitely not slow or clunky.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Something about Gomez Stern games that just want to hold the ball too long.....What happened to his designs like MS, Corvette.....will have to wait n see what happens with Transformers

Good point, I'm a Gomez fan but come to think of it Playboy, which I like a lot is another Gomez pin that stops the ball.
    I don't think this is important as long as the games are mixed up a bit. Repeating the same style of game, gameplay or theme always seems a mistake. Even if it appeals to a majority it will eventually lead to less players overall. Also manufacturers need to recognise that varying the theme, game and gameplay will occasionally leave some of the pin fans unhappy but would be a move "for the greater good".
    OMG I just quoted from Hot Fuzz, now there is a title worth doing!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-game-evolution?tu=emo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.