You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

socket.jpg
2017-01-26 06.20.04 (Large).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi all, just recently purchased a good physical condition Stern Galaxy machine and was just hoping for some pointers as to what is stopping it booting up properly - when you power on the table lights come on and the MPU board red light flashes twice with the sound and that is it - no score displays etc, just wondering what I should be looking at ? (thanks in advance)

#2 7 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

Look under sectoon 5.5. That will clue you into what the issues are. Be sure your rectifier board is working and all voltages are presented before trying to diagnose boot up problems.

2 weeks later
#3 7 years ago

Thanks schudel5, done the full rectifier board test & all is well, the mpu board was replaced a few years ago as has the button cell back up battery - any other hints please as to what is causing it to not boot up - I get the red led light on mpu board flash twice after powering on with the 1 beep then nothing, no displays etc ?

1 month later
#4 7 years ago

I found the problem as to why not booting up and was the 5105 chip at U8, machine now boots up fine but having more issues now as there was no pop bumpers, kickers, ball ejectors working (credit knocker works), found the 1amp slow blow fuse on underside of table to be bad, replaced this then tested all the pop bumpers, drop targets etc then when one of the pop bumpers was activated the static table lights went out and that fuse wire between the power rectifier & transformer (glowing red and melted) - would this be the pop bumper at fault or something else causing this, getting a little confused now ?

2017-01-26 06.20.04 (Large).jpg2017-01-26 06.20.04 (Large).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Looks like there's supposed to be a relay in that black socket which is used to switch the general illumination lamps circuit on and off.
Somebody has hacked it out.. Remove those bare/melted wires hanging out of the socket - they shouldn't be there.

www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=6318&picno=66824&zoom=1

Check the lamp connections on that last pop bumper you activated which caused the melt down. There's a short circuit somewhere..
You will want to re-instate a relay there once you've sorted out the short circuit.

#6 7 years ago

Any ideas as to where I can get those relays from Quench and which one it is please , thankyou

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for replies guys - had a close look today and what appeared to be the cause was a illumination wire come adrift on pop bumper and touching pop bumper structure, after soldiering this back in to place I started machine again and all seemed to be fine until I knocked down one of the drop targets then the table lights went out again (at this stage I am still using the wire in socket as a good guide when to shut machine off), this is being done with playfield up, done plenty of checking but hard to see anything else wrong causing this - put when playfield down and all is good, played several games without any issues, so still trying to diagnose.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from lozza69:

Any ideas as to where I can get those relays from Quench and which one it is please , thankyou

Sorry, I don't have this game.
Can you provide a photo of the relay socket (plug side)?
With any luck someone with a Galaxy might post a picture of their relay showing the current specification.

In the mean time, good luck hunting down that second short circuit..

1 week later
#9 7 years ago

socket.jpgsocket.jpg

#10 7 years ago

If no one responds with the original GI relay specs, this 48V 15A relay might do:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-potter-brumfield-relays/K10P-11D15-48/PB1421-ND/

Your relay socket contacts look cooked, so you might want to consider replacing it:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-potter-brumfield-relays/27E488/PB331-ND/

And install the relay locking clip:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-potter-brumfield-relays/20C217/PB146-ND/

By the way, your power rectifier board is missing the ceramic 600 ohm resistor at position R1.

#11 7 years ago

Al fixed now people, thanks for you contributions - I installed a new 48v Bally relay where it was intended to go along with new socket (the old one was u/s) - all lighting etc works the way it was intended to now

1 month later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-galaxy-wont-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.