• 2 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MaxAsh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980
#1 6 years ago

Hello All - Galaxy has been working great, but I ran into something strange today, hoping someone can assist. The game boots fine, tones are all clear and sound good, and the "explosion" sound during the GI light flash in attract mode all sounds correct.

Once I start a game, I notice that all the normal "beeps and boops" that I'm used to hearing are lower pitched and a little static-y. Almost like a buzzing and pitch drop. All the in-game targets and sounds are like this, aside from the "explosion" sound when you spell Galaxy (same sound as the attract mode sound). Basically, the sounds are goofed up, but triggering when they should in terms of targets being hit, etc.

The only changes that I made before this happened (this could be completely unrelated) were the following: I decided to try the "resistor trick" (470ohm resistor added to socket) on a few light bulb sockets to see what LEDs would look like on some inserts. I put two in, worked fine, no issues, looked okay. So I did about 6 more in a small area, all the same way, to test that as well. When I booted the game up, lights were all fine, but the sound issue was occurring. I thought perhaps it was related, so I took off all the resistors, put back normal bulbs, but it hasn't corrected the issue.

Anyone have any idea what might cause this, or what I can do to correct it? Never dealt with sound issues on these before.

#2 6 years ago

May have figured it out, not sure yet. The relay between the transformer and the rectifier is a known problem on this machine (long repair thread I have separately mentions it). The GI can go out if one of the lugs is "wiggled". I didn't think that would have any effect on sound, but I just nudged the wiring on the relay and the sound issue went away. I thought only the lighting-related stuff went through that relay, since that's what it's for (flashing all the lights), but it seems I may be incorrect.

I bought a new relay recently, and had not installed it yet. I just realized that the relay isn't what has a loose lug... it's the socket it plugs into. /facepalm. Looks like I need a new socket, not a new relay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 199.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-galaxy-sound-issue-1?hl=maxash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.