Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2N5060a.jpg
#1 5 years ago

I've got a Stern Galaxy (my first/only pinball machine) with a problem for which I cant seem to identify the root cause. Specifically, the game's left and right outlanes have a rollover star button target that awards either 5,000 or 10,000 points, and each says "10,000 points when lit" on the playfield. The light is supposed to be lit if spot targets elsewhere on the playfield have already been triggered (left outlane needs one target hit, right outlane needs a different target hit). The problem is the outlane star button target lights never light up, even when the conditions have been met to award the 10,000 points. However, the star targets do in fact seem to award properly the 5,000 or 10,000 points, as appropriate, when I look at the score counter scores. So the switches seem to be fine, and the logic seems fine, and its scoring fine, its just that the lights never light (neither the left nor the right lamps ever light).

Here's what I've done so far -- I've swapped the lamps and tested continuity at the lamp holder. I've also confirmed the wiring back to the lamp board is good, and the connector and the pin on the lamp board seem good as well (in terms of connectivity as verified by multimeter). Also, I've eyeballed the transistors on the lamp boards associated with the two outlane lamp circuits in question and they seem sound, but I've not yet tested them (not really sure how in fact, I think I'd need a logic probe, possibly?). I've also pulled the board and looked at the back and don't see any obvious damage to the circuit flows.

Any suggestions for next steps on what to try next? Thanks very much!

#2 5 years ago

Next step is to try manually illuminating those lamps.
Grab a piece of insulated jumper wire with a little stripped from each end.
Hookup one end of the jumper wire to a ground point in the cabinet.
Touch the other end of the jumper wire at the following locations and see if the respective lamp illuminates:

For the Left outlane star rollover lamp:
- Green-Black wire connection on the lamp socket
- Inside the J1 pin 8 connector housing (should have the same Green-Black wire) at the lamp driver board.
- The anode "A" leg of the Q28 SCR on the lamp driver board - see the diagram below showing the SCR pin assignments.

For the Right outlane star rollover lamp:
- Purple wire connection on the lamp socket
- Inside the J1 pin 17 connector housing (should have the same Purple wire) at the lamp driver board.
- The anode "A" leg of the Q13 SCR on the lamp driver board

To test the actual SCRs (transistor looking things) on the lamp driver board, grab your jumper wire and hookup one end to Test Point "TP3" on the lamp driver board. Touching the other end of the wire on:

- The gate "G" middle leg of SCR Q28 will switch that SCR on and should illuminate the left outlane Star rollover lamp
- The gate "G" middle leg of SCR Q13 will switch that SCR on and should illuminate the right outlane Star rollover lamp

When the lamps do/don't illuminate will help narrow down where the issue is.

2N5060a.jpg2N5060a.jpg

#3 5 years ago

Thank you so much!! This both extends my knowledge with these things as well as gives me a path forward for testing. I’ll try your suggestions and reply back with findings.

#4 5 years ago

Well I performed the troubleshooting as suggested by Quench and this seems to very clearly point towards the SCRs as the problem. All other tests illuminated the targets in question, but when applying a jumper to the gate middle legs of SCR Q28 and SCR Q13 neither target illuminated. To insure I was doing this test correctly I tried the same procedure with another, unrelated SCR gate lead, and I could get the appropriate associated lamp to light. So, I'm assuming replacing these two SCRs is in order, right?

Quench do you (or does anyone) know the right part number to order from Marco or some similar such place for appropriate replacement SCRs? I believe this would be listed on the Stern 1981 parts catalog, but I do not have one of these. The wiring schematic I have for Galaxy is annotated to give the part number for some of the SCRs on the lamp board, but not for SCRs Q28 and Q13.

Thanks again!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from fxvielander:

So, I'm assuming replacing these two SCRs is in order, right?

Yep, sounds like the SCRs are faulty based on your findings.

These SCRs are a "2N5060". "2N5064" is a higher voltage version and are a suitable replacement.
The larger SCRs are a "MCR106"

It's cheaper to buy electronics from electronic suppliers.
Great Plains is the goto in this hobby.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2N5064

Marcos has them too:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/2N5060

Think about getting some other cheap parts to have on hand and save on shipping costs later.
- Fuses
- TIP102 driver transistors for the solenoid driver board
- 1N4007 diodes
- 0.100" connector crimp terminals
- 0.156" connector crimp terminals

Someone might chime in with other stuff.

#6 5 years ago

Great, thanks again and I'll post back again once I get new SCRs in place, hopefully saying problem solved..!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 69.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-galaxy-rollover-target-not-lighting-up?hl=thewiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.