MPU_Front2 (resized).jpg
MPU_Back1 (resized).jpg
MPU_Front1 (resized).jpg
Lamp_Driver_2 (resized).jpg
Lamp_Driver_1 (resized).jpg
PF_2 (resized).jpg
Battery_Dmg (resized).jpg
Head_Boards_Fullview (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

21AC is really high... Does the GI work?

For the other two voltages, since either the rectifier (which converts the AC to DC) is bad, or it's not getting the AC, so check that the AC sides of the corresponding rectifiers have voltage

As for the mpu, I'd guess from that description that it's getting four flashes or maybe five. Those bong sounds correspond to the led on the mpu flashing. If you watch the mpu you'll be able to get a clearer count. It should first flicker briefly, then start flashing. The first flicker doesn't count, not sure if sterns make a sound for that one or not. The amount of flashes you do get (minus the flicker) can help tell you what component on the board is bad

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

I don't see any activity on the LED sadly, but maybe it's really dim, I'll try in lower light. I have zero GI or any other activity aside from the sounds I mentioned, and that really dim glow on one of the displays. Should I try various other TP spots on the other boards and report back with readings?

If it's actually 21VAC I assume all your gi lamps have blown. You might want to check that the rectifier board is correctly wired to the transformer.

It's possible the led is bad, or part of the other circuit is, since it's near the batteries too.

If the rectifier board doesn't have good voltages, none of the other boards will as they all come from there. I'd focus on getting your rectifier TPs correct as @setzcore says, before worrying about anything else. You may want to disconnect the rest of the boards from the rectifier board for safety while you work on it. It may be more worthwhile to just buy a replacement, but fixing it will be a good learning experience.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

While you're waiting you might want to pull off the MPU board and clean all the corrosion - Also pull the light driver board and check the back side. It looks like corrosion on that as well.

If the LED isn't even turning on on the MPU you're definitely going to want a corrosion repair kit (think big daddy sells them, or you can source your own parts).

Quoted from MaxAsh:I see PBR doesn't have full flipper rebuild kits for this, so that stinks. In particular I really need a new plunger and link... which they don't have.

Pinball life sells full brand new stern flipper mechs and all the parts in them.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Would the LED turn on if the voltages out of the rectifier board aren't right? I would think that would cause things like the MPU to not function, LED included, right?

Thanks - I'll check that out

The led only needs the 12V to work. And since you're getting the sounds you know the mpu is at least partially booting.

Since the mpu is getting to four or five, most of the stuff in the corrosion area has to actually be working, so you've got a good chance of getting it to boot, but that looks like it'll be a big job to clean it up for someone without good board repair experience. The number of bleeps suggests U11 or U12 is bad. I'd order one if each and replace them, see if you get more beeps. If that doesn't fix it, you could try replacing the socket for U11, but at that point if it still doesn't work I'd probably give up on it for now.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

I'm assuming plenty of people have installed Alltek MPUs in similar games - did they relocate the Sound board? Change the mounting holes on the bracket for the MPU? Seems like a hassle either way. Anyone dealt with this?

I've stuck allteks in multiple other stern games with the same sound board without issue. Can you take a picture?

Quoted from MaxAsh:Thoughts on what's next?

The P1 display is going to need some major work, or may be a goner from the looks of it. Missing segment on P2 should be repairable. Take all displays out and reflow the solder on the connectors, then plug back in. See if the test button will get the game into test mode so you can get a better idea of what's wrong with the displays, solenoids, etc. Later Sterns can get some weird garbage in their memory in attact mode that can make the displays look like that, but it could also be an issue, display test should make it clear.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Switch test showed a "4" on the display, which if I read the manual correctly means I have 4 closed switches and the rest are open. Not sure if I should have any closed or not? Maybe the outhole with the ball there, if it's included in the count would be one... but is 4 good or bad there?

That means switch number 4 is closed. There may be more, but it only reports the lowest numbered

Check 12V as well as 5, and make sure to check them via tp on mpu

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Have you replaced the capacitor at C23 on Solenoid Driver board?

Try measuring across the cap with your meter on AC, general rule is if you measure over 1/4V you should replace it

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Okay,will do. I picked up a bunch of connectors from a localplace, but of course they were out of the connector sizes for the ones you just mentioned, so I don't have those.
Went to order the AS-2518-22 rebuild kit from Big Daddy, but he's running a $100 minimum right now, ouch. Is there another source for these caps/kits? I've been googling, and I can find the 15000uf/35V snap-in one at Digikey/Mouser/etc. Struggling with the other (150uf 350V or 400V, axial). Found one at Mouser, but for $17, which seemed odd.
Advice welcome on a good source for the kit that I may have missed in my searching (my brain hurts) thanks

I've rebuilt mine via Digikey in the past without issue. If you give me a list of what you can't find I'll check my records

#53 6 years ago

Reflow probably don't fix a missing segment. The number itself is sent over the connector, not the individual segments

#74 6 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it until you recap

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Would a Tilt being closed on boot cause a reset loop like that?

I had that on my Meteor when I got it, caused the original board to do all sorts of weird things, and the Alltek either wouldn't boot at all, or wouldn't display anything. Not sure why they act different.

#84 6 years ago

Check voltages on the other displays, each has test points.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

what should I unplug before turning things back on and testing again

Unplug all displays, test voltage on SDB, if it's good, plug in one display just in case, if it works, then should be safe to plug the rest in.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Okay, thanks. Sadly right now the soonest I can get a fuse is end of next week it seems. At least the exact right one.

If you can get one with the same value, just jumper it in to test

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 169.00
$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-galaxy-not-booting-first-ss?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.