• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-02-20 18.23.20 (Large).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi all, I am having problem with the high score to date as always just reading 7 4 8 in all 4 panels (see pic) , any ideas please ~ thanks in advance.

2017-02-20 18.23.20 (Large).jpg2017-02-20 18.23.20 (Large).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Go through all the audits and reset any that don't read as a regular number to zero

#3 7 years ago

One of the boards is bad!! Same thing happened to mine! Had to replace it!

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

One of the boards is bad!! Same thing happened to mine! Had to replace it!

Which board are you thinking it is? My big game and Meteor had this problem and it was just bad data in the backup ram

#5 7 years ago

Interesting, I was reading something eerily similar in the "flipperwinkel" troubleshooting guide yesterday. Could be an issue with 5101 chips.
Here is what I read yesterday:

"Stern M-200 and the 5101 RAM chips (boot up problems).
The Stern M-200 MPU board uses two 5101 RAM chips (instead of just one like Bally and Stern M-100 MPU boards). When buying 5101 chips, the standard speed rating on this chips is 300 ns. This works fine for Bally and M-100 MPU's, but the Stern M-200 (which runs at a higher clock speed) requires a faster 5101 RAM chip, at 100 ns. The faster 100 ns chip is labeled as 5101-1, and the slower 300 ns chip is labeled as 5101-3. If you use the slower 5101-3 RAM chip in a Stern M-200 MPU board, the board may not boot up correctly; you can get the seventh LED flash, but the game just doesn't work right. Often this can be indicated by the game audits and high scores, where a number (like '74') is continually repeated in all the audits or high scores. Remember, if using a M-200 MPU in a Bally game, the second 5101 RAM at U13 can be removed (the Bally ROM software does not use this chip)"

#6 7 years ago

My tech guy identified the faulty board! I;ll find out and post here later!

#7 7 years ago

It's just garbage in the 5101 RAM. In each of the the audit settings, clear each memory position with the reset button. If the board boots up the RAM and board are fine.

#8 7 years ago

Start simple (and free): As zacaj and schudel5 have both suggested, clear each of the audit settings first. Whatever the cause might be, definitely some garbage in the high score data in a 5101 chip. If the issue keeps reoccurring then proceed with other steps (like possibly reseating the 5101 chips).

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

If the board boots up the RAM and board are fine.

That's not a guarantee with these...

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That's not a guarantee with these...

Yep you're right now that I remember an issue several years ago. I've run across a -133 used in a Baby Pacman that would boot but lock-up if a certain target was hit. We did swap out the 5101 and then it was fine, but the board did boot up with the bad RAM. I guess I was trying to say is that I wouldn't replace the board with a new one just because you have garbage in the displays. If the board boots and goes into attract mode you're 99.99% of the way there. I hate seeing people just replacing boards willy-nilly.

#11 7 years ago

SO??Did you call Mike??he'll tell you whats wrong!!!:)He owns and operates Crown Amusement Service! Goes all over NorCal to do onsite repairs!!(Mine 2)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 199.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 169.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-galaxy-high-score-to-date-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.