Stern Galaxy Game Resetting Occasionally During Play

By fxvielander

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980
#1 3 years ago

Hello! I have a 1980 Stern Galaxy which I've been working on on and off for a while. Only problem I have left I think is occasionally during play when something big happens (like someone hits the special) the game sometime resets back to the power on test, or otherwise seems to freeze up. The rectifier board has been replaced by me, and I've added X-Pin displays so the game can now display scores in the millions, and the original means for saving high scores has been upgraded, but other than that I think it's pretty much stock.

Where should I start? Should I "re-cap the power supply", as that seems to be a popular step on these machines? Haven't looked closely but on this machine other than the rectifier and the transformer I don't know of other parts to improve (i.e. don't know that there are capacitors or Zener diodes for me to work on, only the big transformer). Is there basic troubleshooting to try and determine if the problem can be narrowed down to the power supply, vs something on the backboard?

Thanks much for any assistance!

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from fxvielander:

Where should I start? Should I "re-cap the power supply", as that seems to be a popular step on these machines?

Yes, recap the solenoid driver board. Repin connectors J3 on the solenoid driver board and J4 on the MPU, replace header pins also.

If it continues after that you may have a faulty 5V regulator or a problem in the switch matrix causing it to falsely slam tilt.

#3 3 years ago

Great thank you and much appreciated. The caps don’t look great on the solenoid board, I’m going to go ahead and just replace the board. Any way to get a sense that it’s probably a solenoid board problem vs a MPU board problem?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from fxvielander:

Great thank you and much appreciated. The caps don’t look great on the solenoid board, I’m going to go ahead and just replace the board. Any way to get a sense that it’s probably a solenoid board problem vs a MPU board problem?

This sort of problem is usually due to the 5v & 12v supply to the MPU being crappy. As you've already replaced the rectifier board, the next step is the part of the power-supply located on the SDB. It is almost always the large electrolytic capacitor, but sometimes can be the voltage regulator (transistor). It can also be the connectors, the power-on reset circuit on the MPU, or even the sockets for RAM/ROM on the MPU.

#5 3 years ago

I also have a galaxy and ordered a bunch of kits from Big Daddy Enterprises, I somehow got a 2nd bally/stern solenoid driver board regulator capacitor kit.

1 ea. 15,000uF, 25 Volt Electrolytic Capacitor (Radial Snap-in)
1 ea. 150uF, 400 Volt Electrolytic Capacitor (Axial)
4 ea. Nylon zip strips

If you were interested in doing some rebuilding of boards I'd sell that cheap and ship.

#6 3 years ago

No thanks on the regulator capacitor kit; I received and installed a new regulator board. Problem appears to be solved, thanks for everyone's help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-galaxy-game-resetting-occasionally-during-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.