New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 134118)

Stern Freefall : your opinion ?

By lb45

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CraigC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi ,

There's an ad in France, for a cabinet+playfield
of Freefall Stern Machine (only 1300 units)

100 bucks.

No Backbox, legs , and boards but the playfield looks good.

Would like your opinion about this multiball machine .
Worth is or not to rebuild from this base ?

Regards.
Lionel

#2 5 years ago

For me, it's all about the backglass art on this game, although it looks like a very interesting as far as the gameplay goes. You can't really go wrong for only 100 bucks...but you have to find a backbox and glass. Good luck if you go for it.

#3 5 years ago

The seller has a backbox from a Trident too for 30 Euros.

Do the dimensions of a Freefall Backbox(widebody) identical to a classic machine
If so , i could buy the class baxbox to use on it..

#4 5 years ago

Freefall is a good, fun game.
That's a big project though, and finding parts may be difficult...........................
That's a tough question.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

Hi ,
There's an ad in France, for a cabinet+playfield
of Freefall Stern Machine (only 1300 units)
100 bucks.
No Backbox, legs , and boards but the playfield looks good.
Would like your opinion about this multiball machine .
Worth is or not to rebuild from this base ?
Regards.
Lionel

Easy, Get it. This is how you build Classic Stern's. 1 piece part at a time. A nice playfield is a rare part. Pick it up immediately.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Pick it up immediately.

Will try to get it. I emailed the seller . The machine is available since 1 month

I have a Quicksilver Backglass for spare , perhaps a good ace to trade..

Hope it could be a good line up with BG, QS, SG, HH, NB..

#7 5 years ago

Don't trade a QS backglass for it though. Unobtainium.

#8 5 years ago

A friend here in Massachusetts had one and I played the crap out of it. Tough multiball to earn but a lot of fun to try for it!

#9 5 years ago

Isn't a Freefall glass equally unobtainable?

#10 5 years ago

I don't know what it is about these old classic sterns. Maybe its the honeymoon phase for me but I have been playing my catacomb, nineball and Seawitch non stop. I'm a firm believer in trying to save as many as possible just because they are getting very hard to find. Thumbs up from me.

#11 5 years ago

Thank for the advice.

Mail sent to the seller - News after his vacation

#12 5 years ago

Haven't played one in years, but I definitely have a lot of memories of dropping A LOT of quarters into Freefall in the early 1980s. Like Flight 2000, it has a multiball feature that is not easy to get to during play, but I always thought that it was a blast to attempt to get there. It's certainly not the most crowded or intense playfield layout either, but for it's day I would rate it pretty decently. I have seen more than a few bad reviews of it in different places online, but I like an awful lot of pinball machines that have bad reviews.

For me, so much of what attracts me to a machine like this are two things: the fact that I played them a ton in arcades in their day and the history factor. Like a lot of people on here, I am a sucker for the games of the early 1980s when designers started to take real advantage of solid state and push pinball away from the EM era. So much fun.

#13 5 years ago

I happened to get one of these recently. The playfield and plastics are in good shape. The backglass has a little bit of delamination in a solid black area and some tiny imperfections here and there.

While I am a fan of older Stern machines (Nine Ball is one of my all time favorites ... I am abnormally obsessed with that game), I am more of a fan of Williams System 11 stuff, so I will probably look to trade/sell it once I get it bulletproofed and shopped (still want to play it for a while to make sure I don't regret letting it go).

Still, the game is pretty good. I *really* wish they would have made it a standard size game vs. a widebody, but that's just me.

I would grab that playfield for $100. I am sure you can find a backglass if you get the rest of it up and running. While it is certainly a rare game, you'd have plenty of margin to procure a backglass. I am going to be scanning the cabinet for stencils as soon as my F&%(ing job reverts back to normal ... the entire month of July flew by and all I've been doing is work related crap!!! The only thing good about that is that it seemed to have rained all of the days I was locked up working .

#14 5 years ago

Yeah, it's a good one. Very interesting ruleset. I am extremely satisfied with mine.

#15 5 years ago

Freefall is middle of the road for MPU-200 games in my opinion. I don't like that the ball walker is a luck shot from the bumpers as opposed to the spinner bank shot from 9 ball that has a little more skill. a trident head will work but will have holes for where the transformer and rectifier board mounted in the head. it's certainly awesome looking, they didnt make many, and they do not come up often. I like it more than Viper, but way less than big game.

Mike Pacak had a free fall glass for sale for a while, not sure if he still has it

-c

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
$ 19.95
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside