(Topic ID: 196302)

Stern fluorescent tubes to LED tube

By hoby1

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200311_202009 (resized).jpg
    20200311_202004 (resized).jpg
    20200311_201923 (resized).jpg
    20200311_201917 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20200308_123930 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0841 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jtm3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

2- Pack for $24 from Amazon. Put one in a Godzilla and one in Shrek. They look good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U4NETKA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_w8eNzb58E8PGK

#5 6 years ago

I should mention that with these bulbs (and most led tubes) you do have to require a bit to remove the ballast and starter from the circuit. Pretty easy to do, general instructions are included with the bulb.

#6 6 years ago

You don't have to take them out of the game, just cut and splice the the wires. I'll shot a picture of mine later today and post it here.

#8 6 years ago

This is from Sega Godzilla, pretty sure it's the same as Stern games. Please double check and read directions with bulbs before doing just to be safe. Games may be different and wire colors may be different. But the concept should be the same.

With machine off, locate the feed, 2 pin connector with one black and one white wire coming up behind left speaker, this should be line voltage to the light circuit. The white wire is attatched to the top pin of the bulb connector (this stays the same)

The black wire goes to the ballast then out of the ballast to the right side bulb connector and returns to the starter and out of the starter into the left bottom connector. This is the wire that gets cut. Then the bottom left connector wire that goes to the starter gets cut and the 2 get spliced together with a wire nut or soldered and shrink wrapped (make a safe connection as this is line voltage.).

So basically you bypassed everything between the black feed wire and the black left bulb connector. You can leave all the parts in since there is no power to them anymore. Right side bulb connector wires are dead now as well. These led bulbs take line voltage feed to one side of the bulb.

IMG_0841 (resized).JPGIMG_0841 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from moonduckie78:

Do you think maybe just removing the starter and ballast could also do the trick, though?

That is actually what this is doing. If you just took out the starter and cut out the ballast you would still be feeding both ends of the bulb and that's not how the led bulbs work. It's really just cutting and splicing 2 wires together. I probably made it sound more confusing than it is.

2 years later
    #16 4 years ago

Check the documentation that came with the LED tube. Some are fed from one side only and some are fed from each side. Others are plug and play which still require the ballast (but not the starter I think, which can just be removed, not cut out)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jtm3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-fluorescent-tubes-to-led-tube?tu=Jtm3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.