Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A3E2C9F1-7E91-4A21-8C29-7483CE7AD658 (resized).jpeg
quality (resized).jpg
20220912_135908 (resized).jpg
20220912_135855 (resized).jpg
ezgif-4-75653359245b.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

EOS switches do not serve any purpose in modern Sterns other than as a confirmation to the CPU. It's definitely not that.

But if they don’t make good contact, some flips will be weak.

But in your case it’s consistently getting worse with play. That won’t be the EOS. I agree.

Double check the mechs are moving smoothly and you have some up and down play between the pawl and bushing.

Also double check all the parts. I’ve had coil stops break in less than 500 plays.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

EOS doesn't effect the initial flip strength

I can’t explain how the modern EOS works, all I can say is that if it’s not making good contact, the flips will be weak as hell. This is from the first flip to the last flip of the session. Has no bearing on how long you’ve been playing. I’m also assuming the eos switches work the same in spike and spike 2.

Doesn’t sound like this is his issue though, as his gets weak the longer he plays.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I see no noticeable change in flipper strength when adjusting the eos to open as soon as the flipper starts to move. Every thing I've ever heard about eos in solid state flippers says that they're only for rebound and are ignored for the initial power stroke

This is 100% not the case for spike games. The flipper will be a wet noodle if the EOS is open at flipper rest.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I don't have any Spike 2 games, do they have the 3 flipper parameters in config like Whitestar does? I'm guessing not, it's convenient to debug EOS issues.

I when fixing my GOT, the switch diagnostics would show the eos open, then when it closed. I found out it was flaky when it would not always register as closed. Actually took a couple new eos switches before I finally found one that always registered as closed.

No issues since.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Yup, from what it seems the algorithms handling the flippers have gotten somewhat complicated over time and use a combination of timing parameters and EOS inputs to control operation. This was neatly (but dangerously) exposed in Whitestar config. Even then (and still now) people claimed EOS does nothing, which I found to be false.
What symptoms were you seeing before your fix?

Like every 4-5 flips, when you’d flip, it would be super weak. So if you’re lining up the center ramp on GOT, it would shoot the left orbit and barely touch the spinner. Haha

1 month later
#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

I've been having the described weak flippers on Iron Maiden that I got nib.
Usually seems to be after playing 10 games or so, but it is pretty noticeable when a cradling from right flipper and the ball often can't make it up the ramp and hit the bullseye.
Some potential solutions mentioned in this thread and good to hear I'm not the only one.
Has anyone had these suggestions fix the issue?
Perhaps could someone show a step by step guide on how to adjust or diagnose if there is an issue with the eos switches? Would be much appreciated if as I'm very new to this and this was my first mail machine.

If your game is really steep too, it will be hard to make the center ramp from a trap on the right. You have to hit that sweet spot and it will go right up there. It’s not the flipper being weak.

If you had the issues noted above, you would hit the center ramp with one flip, then flip at the exact same time on another try and it would go into the pops instead. Haha

4 months later
#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Same issue too, any help?

Sure. Did you try all the stuff mentioned in this thread? Still no luck? When does it happen? Randomly or worse over time?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-flipper-weakness?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.