Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by copperpot
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm new to Stern machines and was wondering if there was a way to test the flippers in test mode. Basically have the flipper buttons flip the flippers. I don't see a way to test holding up the flippers. It seems that the flipper buttons only move though the menus. Is the only way to do this in a game?

Basically, I'm thinking something like on my WPC game where the flippers work while you're in the service menus.

#2 10 years ago

What game please?
faz

#3 10 years ago

Star Trek Premium

#4 10 years ago

You cold probably run Coil Test in the diagonostic submenu to have the machine flip the flippers.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 10 years ago

I tried that, but isn't only a single flip. It isn't a real flipper test as it doesn't test the secondary winding.

#6 10 years ago

I do not believe there is a secondary winding on stern games. Unless I'm wrong they have a single winding that is hard pulsed for the initial flip then pattern pulsed for the hold.

#7 10 years ago

Ah I see. That makes sense. I was asking because I have a flipper that's vibrating loudly some times and wanted to test without starting a game. There is no EOS switch so what Lin says must be how it works. I guess the pulsing must be causing the vibration.

I guess the audible vibration is normal then?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Ah I see. That makes sense. I was asking because I have a flipper that's vibrating loudly some times and wanted to test without starting a game. There is no EOS switch so what Lin says must be how it works. I guess the pulsing must be causing the vibration.

Yup. You can try loosening and tightening coil stops but for the most part you're on the same page as the rest of us.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from steve1515:

Yeah, they all vibrate, but I've seen some excessively loud. I've been successful troubleshooting by energizing the flipper and physically inspecting the flipper mech from underneath. That assembly tends to vibrate a lot and you can usually pinpoint it to something misaligned or tightened too little, too much, etc.

-Wes

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-flipper-test and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.