Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230813_162804 (resized).jpg
#1 8 months ago

first on mustang, now on upper playfield of game of thrones.. game of thrones less than 200 plays, mustang about a thousand.. others had same issues in the past.. just in case i just bought 50 new ones from marco.. lol.. mark

#2 8 months ago

Seems like extremely short lifespan for those springs. Easy/quick to replace and inexpensive spring (hopefully)? We're considering buying a NIB Stern machine and I'm scouring the web looking for any/all service-related customer experiences.

#3 8 months ago

I operate dozens of stern machines never had spring issues. Many thousands of games played on each.

Lots of coil stops, but no springs. I don’t even replace them when rebuilding. Are you sure you used the right spring?

Todd, other than the Rush node board issue and coils stops on every game, Sterns are rock solid. The only thing I really do is rebuild flippers and clean. Don’t over analyze.

#4 8 months ago

these both games were produced 2014/2015.. all my other games are fine.. might have been a batch issue ???? not sure, but weird.. ordered parts from marco.. couple days i will update on progress or not

#5 8 months ago

8 year old GOT with only 200 games? Sounds like it committed suicide out of boredom.

#6 8 months ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Todd, other than the Rush node board issue and coils stops on every game, Sterns are rock solid. The only thing I really do is rebuild flippers and clean. Don’t over analyze.

Lol, not your $10k, but thanks I have seen vids complaining about overpriced node board repair issues from people who repair these things, but those I know personally that own have had very minor issues at best.

#7 8 months ago

Next time a 50 cent part on one of
My 7-12 year old pinball machines breaks, I’m definitely starting a thread about it!

#8 8 months ago

Did the end where it hooks on break off ?

If so the hole where it hooks on, ream it out a bit or smooth it. It's scoring the spring causing premature failure.

LTG : )

#9 8 months ago
Quoted from todd_russell:

Lol, not your $10k, but thanks I have seen vids complaining about overpriced node board repair issues from people who repair these things, but those I know personally that own have had very minor issues at best.

You’re not experienced, but thanks. Why ask for advice then poopoo it?

The only spike 2 machine with node board problems is Rush. No one has gotten stuck with any node board issues that weren’t covered by warranty. If you are worried about 50 cent springs, don’t buy a pinball machine.

#10 8 months ago

Spring out lasted the extension arm.

20230813_162804 (resized).jpg20230813_162804 (resized).jpg
#11 8 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Spring out lasted the extension arm.
[quoted image]

Seen way more of this!

#12 8 months ago

springs were not broken.. just both flippers on the upper playfield starting acting up at the same time, not returning back..

#13 8 months ago

8 year old GOT with only 200 games? Sounds like it committed suicide out of boredom.

it was an LE that a high end collecter owned.. he actually has a munsters LE W/ TOPPER sill in the box

#14 8 months ago
Quoted from snowy926123:

springs were not broken.. just both flippers on the upper playfield starting acting up at the same time, not returning back..

Now, this is something I was going to ask the community about.

I've had a small number of flippers lately want to stay in the upright position. They have springs, the springs are correct.

The coils have released power.

The bat just stays up.

The bat stays up when power is removed from the machine, so it's not transistor leakage.

The lightest touch of my hand (or shaking the machine) and the bat drops.

So I'm looking for the obvious, the link binding, weird problems with the bushings, slightly bent flipper bat shafts (I seem to find more of these than other techs do?), wrong return spring (the springs are correct).

The grossly obvious things are not a problem here. Plunger, link, sleeve, stop and crank arm are in excellent condition, and on at least two of my problem flippers I replaced them and STILL had problems (which makes me think that perhaps my replacement parts are also somehow compromised?)

Finally, I'm thinking about ?magnetisim? But it doesn't seem to have ANY perceptible magnetic cling.

It's always flippers that have a slight amount of wear, the stop has been pounded upon, but isn't flared anywhere close enough to develop a wire-rim that grabs the sleeve, nor does the plunger have anything close to that level of wear.

I've had other problems where the brass part of the stop can be compromised and allow magnetism... but these flippers lately don't seem to be that.

So, it seems maybe some kind of binding, maybe some kind of one-shot magnetism.

Installing a slightly stronger flipper return spring causes the customer to stop calling me, but when I call the customer he says it still happens, just not as often.

This one is very subtle, and the slightest touch makes the problem disappear. I have a good 'feel' for exactly what is happening with flippers. I can't feel anything here... but the flipper bat sticks up.

I realize this is impossible. If the parts are good, and you can't find a bind, you can't find magnetism, you can't have a problem

But there have been a couple within the past year or so. Machines about Game Of Thrones age or older, with mild-to-moderate use.

So, has anybody seen this? Did you get it fixed with a particular part?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#15 8 months ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

So, has anybody seen this?

I had a Monster Bash that drove me nuts years ago. Occasionally bind or get weak and then okay.

I finally discovered the coil stop was leaning out a bit. Put a new one in. End of issue.

I'd check coil stop, front bracket holding the coil. Be sure they are straight up and down, not leaning in or out. And the whole works is kind of in a straight line.

Don't rule out your plunger link assembly. Coil pulling it in is different than by hand. Even if new, it could be binding.

#16 8 months ago

looks like were digging in heavy thursday or friday.. will keep all posted.. buudy thats helping me is a great tech which is a plus..

#17 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Next time a 50 cent part on one of
My 7-12 year old pinball machines breaks, I’m definitely starting a thread about it!

glad your such a pro with talk.. i remember you from the google groups from many years ago

#18 8 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

I had a Monster Bash that drove me nuts years ago. Occasionally bind or get weak and then okay.
I finally discovered the coil stop was leaning out a bit. Put a new one in. End of issue.
I'd check coil stop, front bracket holding the coil. Be sure they are straight up and down, not leaning in or out. And the whole works is kind of in a straight line.
Don't rule out your plunger link assembly. Coil pulling it in is different than by hand. Even if new, it could be binding.

Thank you for this.

#19 8 months ago

Ran across this video by Clay. Check the vertical play and see if the sticky flippers are too tight.

#20 8 months ago

Interesting, humidity could cause that much movement to cause binding.

#21 7 months ago

You’re not experienced, but thanks. Why ask for advice then poopoo it?
The only spike 2 machine with node board problems is Rush. No one has gotten stuck with any node board issues that weren’t covered by warranty. If you are worried about 50 cent springs, don’t buy a pinball machine.

Where did I ever say I was "worried about 50 cent springs", step off already. And how do you know I'm "not experienced"? I've been playing pinball for almost 50 years now. We owned an Eight Ball machine for 10 years and sold at a profit. Did a bunch of work on it while we had it, too, but have not owned any of the newer machines. My interest is in customer experiences of all kinds, small to large 50 cent springs don't bother me at all, and really not understanding the grief. I didn't start this thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-flipper-return-springs-failing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.