(Topic ID: 224500)

Stern Flipper Buttons Installed Incorrectly from Factory?

By Reaper802

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by LesManley
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

swbutton (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20180901_150033 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I swear I've seen another post somewhere showing this but I can't find it via search. In the attached photo that screw and washer is a hack from the factory correct?

If I flip the flipper button nut around it would then be installed as intended and that washer and screw can go away right?

20180901_150033 (resized).jpg20180901_150033 (resized).jpg
    #2 5 years ago

The washer is to keep the nut from vibrating loose? I'd think that way of installing the nut is better since it'll cut into the wood...

#3 5 years ago

The nut seems to be correct to me also. The extra washer and screw is interesting. I haven't seen that before but Stern isn't what I normally work on. I've never had a flipper button work itself loose before. Seems like overkill to me.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The nut seems to be correct to me also. The extra washer and screw is interesting. I haven't seen that before but Stern isn't what I normally work on. I've never had a flipper button work itself loose before. Seems like overkill to me.

At our local barcade I've seen it happen three times. Stern and Williams

#5 5 years ago

Yes. Washer is to keep it from vibrating loose. Now if those buttons would stop wearing out so quick and flying out of the game, that would be great.

#6 5 years ago

But if the stock nut were flipped around wouldn't this become a non issue?

#7 5 years ago

That’s standard on all Sterns’s keeps the flipper button nut from coming loose. Seen this on all modern Stern’s....now go play pinball.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Reaper802:

f I flip the flipper button nut around it would then be installed as intended

They are installed as intended as is it now - you want to maximize the surface friction, which is why the flat side is against the game. All flipping it will do is chew into the wood as you tighten it down, but that doesn't mean it won't work itself loose. The lock washer is a definitive way to stop it from backing out, though, why would you want to mess with this? If it's because your art blades aren't lying flat, trim them a couple millimeters and you're done.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

That’s standard on all Sterns’s keeps the flipper button nut from coming loose. Seen this on all modern Stern’s....now go play pinball.

Its called a cheap hack! Straight from the factory.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. Washer is to keep it from vibrating loose. Now if those buttons would stop wearing out so quick and flying out of the game, that would be great.

Yeah, that's become a real problem. What happened to a c-clip on the end of the flipper button post? They come out because the nub just wears down. If there was a c-clip there again, problem solved.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

Cheap as opposed to what? Cheap would be not having the washer at all

Quoted from Reaper802:

But if the stock nut were flipped around wouldn't this become a non issue?

Why would it?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hillarious, this has happened to me each time I take my GB to a show. I never find the missing piece

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Hillarious, this has happened to me each time I take my GB to a show. I never find the missing piece

I don’t think there is a missing piece. All that holds the button in is a small grove that is larger than the hole the button nipple goes into. When that groove wears down, button flies out. Best to replace the button or hack it somehow.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Cheap as opposed to what? Cheap would be not having the washer at all

Why would it?

Orders of magnitude more surface area pressed against the cabinet?

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Man, Haven’t has it happen to any of my games lol but ive sure played games at locations do this! Nothing will piss ya off more than having to grab the button off the floor during a good game or multiball lmao!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Man, Haven’t has it happen to any of my games lol but ive sure played games at locations do this! Nothing will piss ya off more than having to grab the button off the floor during a good game or multiball lmao!

Yeah. I gotten pretty good at it. Unless you’re putting thousands of plays on your games I doubt it will happen. I keep lots of extra buttons on hand. They are cheap.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Reaper802:

Orders of magnitude more surface area pressed against the cabinet?

soft round flat area vs hard edges? I think this way would turn less anyway

But either way they're gonna loosen over time

#18 5 years ago

They have never come loose on my TSPP. Two nuts are used and locked together.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have had this happen a few times as well. Broke right in two.

swbutton (resized).jpgswbutton (resized).jpg
    #20 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Have had this happen a few times as well. Broke right in two.[quoted image]

Damn!!

#21 5 years ago

You should change your thread title.

This is how all flippers have been installed from the Stern Factory for many years.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

This is how all flippers have been installed from the Stern Factory for many years.

Yep. I have a sopranos and GOT. Same.

#23 5 years ago

I think I am going to have these in inventory.

#24 5 years ago

I like the nut flipped around because then there's more button showing for when you light them up.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I disagree.
    The washer and screw are factory; agreed.
    But I'm pretty sure my nuts were installed with the flat part against the cabinet not flipped like the OP showed. Look how lame the side art isn't flush against the cabinet.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

I thought it was genius.
    hack or not

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Have had this happen a few times as well. Broke right in two.[quoted image]

^^^THIS. I'm not sure what they changed, but the new flipper buttons don't last at all on route. I've never seen so many broken buttons. Every new game here locally has managed to break multiple buttons in record time. It's not a big deal for home use, but when on route especially depending on how attentive an OP is, that can put the game out of commission for awhile.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-flipper-buttons-installed-incorrectly-from-factory-?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.