(Topic ID: 2235)

Stern Flight 2000 Troubleshooting

By Muscle_cars_only

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Muscle_cars_only.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 13 years ago

First off, Glad to be back-Been a hectic work year for me... Feels good to finally be back and speaking english again..........

OK, long story : Had a lot of coffee this morning so bear with me here......

Reclaimed some garage space and moved 5 pins into the house.. Among them was a Flight 2000 that appeared from nowhere( Don't know who dropped it off here 6 years ago) . machines MINT, a museum piece, looks like a minimal home use and no route use. Everything's there, even the original coin box.

I know absolutely nothing about the old sterns, now I know why.........
Speech works but no game sound and I cant find anything on these 300 boards. Manual doesn't seem to go into depth on the sound.

Checked it out before plugging it in, all is good.
CPU seems to boot up correctly-7 flashes flash......flash......flash,flash,flash,flash,flash.
Everything works as it should with the exception of no game sound. Speech works.
In test mode 20 thru 30 i get static coming from the speakers on 22,24,26,28 the odds nothing..... Anyone have any insight on troubleshooting these? Can't find anything on the net nor can I find the logic processes.....

Dave

#3 13 years ago

You are correct. The main board is a MPU200.

It also has a SB300( sound board) and a vsu100Speach board)....

Are you telling me the game sounds on the mpu200? If so, would you happen to know what location? I know on the VSU100 it has an eprom in U9, figured it was for the speech. I've been prodding the sb300 in an attempt to figure out what was wrong with it. My best guess was U18 6840 on this board...

There's absolutely no info out there for these old Stern machines....Grrrrrrrr

Another interesting thing I noticed..... I get a shrill noise on bootup , once it bots up I get white noise.... Press the start button and the noise disappears, end of game-white noise reappears.....

#5 13 years ago

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....... Reseated and cleaned all chips on all boards and still the same..... It's cold out tonight, might need to grab a 12pack and make a pinball fire in the back yard.......

The Stern nightmare continues....

#7 13 years ago

Yet another assumption cost me all day......Stupid, Stupid, Stupid... FYI: Check the obvious things closely instead of a quick overview......... Upon closer examination of the ribbon cables that run from MPU200 to SB300 I located 3 wires broken between the two of them... It now has background sound.......

Sorry for the wasted internet space..............

Dave

#10 13 years ago

Super8 - Thanks,
Thought you had a new one for me to look @..Alas, it was marvin3.com..I use that quite frequently when something stumps me.. He goes into more details on the Bally vs Stern.. The issue I was having pointed me to the SB300,which there was little info on....

I had Deja vu working on f2000.... Was like the first time working on a williams sys9.. Not much out there and you have to piece together info from the sys 7 & 11's....Just like with the sys9, I started a cheaterbook which is almost a binder now, with my own comments and references to aid me on the Stern in the future.

Still can't get over the fact I wasted all day skipping the basics and digging way too deep into the issue.... On the bright side, all the chips have been pulled and reseated, so it wasn't a total loss...

#13 13 years ago

Thanks Super8..... I saved the pics. Should come in useful in the future...

Brokedad - I'm sure Santa will bring you something....

Now it's on to the next two projects.. Making a functioning coffee table from the PF of Laser Wars and installing another PF in Comet......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 125.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Muscle_cars_only.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-flight-2000-troubleshooting?tu=Muscle_cars_only and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.