You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200527-210100_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200527-210049_Gallery (resized).jpg
20200527_205534 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello guys. I'm having some issues to have the speech working on my flight 2000, so I hope you can help me. I have read all related topics, and tried everything.

I got my flight 2000 without the speech card, so I bought it from a pinside member, that had tested it ok on his flight 2000, before ship it to me. The issue is that it speaks at the right times, but only garbitch.

I have already checked the jumper on the SB-300 and it's ok. Since the speech happens, also proves that is getting out of the VSU-100 and amplified on the SB-300.
I have changed all caps on the speech board.
I have checked the eprom. I have read it and compared with the one at IPDB, and it matches perfectly.
I have checked the cable that goes from the VSU-100 to the driver board, and all wires are ok. Besides, all lamps work just fine, so it should be ok.
Since the speech sounds happen on the right times, I believe that the main chip on the VSU-100 is ok.
Any input will be highly appreciated!

#2 3 years ago

Can you describe the garbage sounds in more detail?
High/low pitch? "speaking" for an excessive or short amount of time? Does it sound like the audio is clipping?

#3 3 years ago

Hello. Thanks for the feedback. It's like clipping. I'll make a short video and place the. Link here.

#4 3 years ago

Hi. Here is the youtube link with the speech sounds.

Thanks!

#5 3 years ago

I'm gonna guess power supply to the VSU-100. I believe it daisy-chains on the lamp-driver for power: Could be connector or pins somewhere in that chain.

#6 3 years ago

I agree with Dr_Dude this could be the issue. The GI power creates the -10V on the board (J3-1). TP-3 should be -10v according to the schematic, but IIRC some of the test points may be mislabeled!

#7 3 years ago

Hi. I just checked the 5v and the -10v. All good.

Screenshot_20200527-210049_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200527-210049_Gallery (resized).jpg20200527_205534 (resized).jpg20200527_205534 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200527-210100_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200527-210100_Gallery (resized).jpg
#8 3 years ago

Good that is correct, not good it does not solve your problem.
Unfortunately, you may need to trace the audio signal back through the LM1458 dual op-amp to see where if there is a point at which it becomes distorted. Perhaps the op amp, or one of the related passives in the audio output path needs replacing or solder reflow.
A scope would probably be the best way to do this. Maybe a pair of headphones with a dc blocking capacitor if you are careful.

#9 3 years ago

Great, thanks for the tip. I'll reflow solder as the first step. If the issue is still there, I'll try the headphone with dc blocking capacitor. I've never heard about this method, but I'll do some research on it, since I don't have a scope... Last case, I'll replace all the components on the audio output path.

2 months later
#10 3 years ago

Is it working? I’m having a similar issue. Thanks.

4 months later
#11 3 years ago

Did either of you end up finding a fix for this?

#12 3 years ago

What about your other sound board? Was it original to the game? Should probably test them as a set. Could be chasing a problem that exists on the other sound card. If you search for clipping and sound issues on that board it may help.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What about your other sound board? Was it original to the game? Should probably test them as a set. Could be chasing a problem that exists on the other sound card. If you search for clipping and sound issues on that board it may help.

That is a good point, voice output from the speech board goes through the amplifiers on the SB-300. I'd check TP3 and TP2 for 10v and 12v.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from pure_penalty:

Did either of you end up finding a fix for this?

Yep. Fixed. The wire connecting the speech board to MPU was on pin 9, when it should have been pin 11.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Yep. Fixed. The wire connecting the speech board to MPU was on pin 9, when it should have been pin 11.

Lamp interrupt line - good to know!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 125.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-flight-2000-speech-issue?hl=dr_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.