Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Bricarus
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160102_165635_(resized).jpg
flip_(resized).jpg
20151230_200540_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I am sure many of you have experienced the disintegrating coil stops Stern used in their games like ACDC and MET. The symptom you have bad coil stops is a lot of gold colored dust accumulating in the cabinet and longer flipper travel. I just checked my ACDC and the stops are shot. The brass(?) spacer between the plug and the mounting plate is almost completely gone, leaving about a 1mm gap and a wobbly plug. The plug itself is almost brand new looking.

3 of my games probably need coil stops replaced because of this. I wonder if I should ask Stern if they will warranty these since they are obviously defective. I'll try that route first.. I bought 5 NIB in the last 2 years so I think they can cut me some slack here.

Rob

20151230_200540_(resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

The bi-metal was supposed to keep the Stop from magnetizing.

I'd just replace it with a $2 Williams one.

Not worth your time to sit around on the phone begging for new ones.

#3 4 years ago

Yep. Replaced both in my Metallica with Williams stops after the left one failed. Replace and move on.

#4 4 years ago

lol @ being so cheap to try to get stern to warranty these rather than paying $4 to replace them.

The williams coil stops aren't exact fits. The holes in the brackets are a bit different. Are the pinballlife stern coil stops made by stern or perhaps stronger?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

lol @ being so cheap to try to get stern to warranty these rather than paying $4 to replace them.

It's not $4 each to replace them, more like $10 each delivered to my door and I need to replace about 10. That's $100 in defective parts. We pay a dear premium for our shit here in Canada now, so don't accuse me about being 'cheap'. Shipping from pinball life costs more than the parts are worth!

Rob

#6 4 years ago

Yep, mine failed on an ST Premium too, so it is probably 'a thing'. It is definitely annoying but pinball is a maintenance-heavy hobby. I chalked this up as 'just one of those things.'

I'd probably save the calls to Stern for the serious failures and real head-scratchers, though. You have more-than-one 80 gram steel balls, bouncing around at about 12 MPH under a sheet of glass, on top of a painted soft wood surface, bumping into rubber, metal, plastic and sometimes the glass - powered by a electric motors and solenoids, driven by a tiny computer..

..That more crap doesn't break more often, is a miracle!

#7 4 years ago

Which Williams coil stops work best?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

Yep, mine failed on an ST Premium too, so it is probably 'a thing'. It is definitely annoying but pinball is a maintenance-heavy hobby. I chalked this up as 'just one of those things.'
I'd probably save the calls to Stern for the serious failures and real head-scratchers, though. You have more-than-one 80 gram steel balls, bouncing around at about 12 MPH under a sheet of glass, on top of a painted soft wood surface, bumping into rubber, metal, plastic and sometimes the glass - powered by a electric motors and solenoids, driven by a tiny computer..
..That more crap doesn't break more often, is a miracle!

Yeah, I'm not calling Stern about this. I'll see if my distributor has some and what the prices are since ordering from the US is a bit pricey right now. Hopefully Stern has something which is improved since GoT doesn't seem afflicted with the same problem...

Rob

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Yep. Replaced both in my Metallica with Williams stops after the left one failed. Replace and move on.

Williams coil brackets are different. Put them "back to back" and you'll see the mountings are about 1-2mm different.

rd

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I'll see if my distributor has some and what the prices are since ordering from the US is a bit pricey right now.

Hey Rob

Starburst does carry replacements, and they appear to be of higher quality than what ships in the pin (I think they come from Marco). They are decently priced.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Williams coil brackets are different. Put them "back to back" and you'll see the mountings are about 1-2mm different.
rd

I used the older sys11 style with the silverish stop (not black) and it fit just fine. They may not be perfect drop in replacements but they work better than Stern's.

#12 4 years ago

On the other hand, how is Stern to know they have a quality problem if nobody tells them...

I had one of my stops disintegrate like this in my AVLE so this has been a problem for a while....

#13 4 years ago

This happened on my STLE. I got replacements at Pinball Life, he said his are not made by Stern. That was a year ago and held up so far.

#14 4 years ago

Other than gold dust - what is the symptom of a bad coil stop?
The reason I ask; is my flipper buttons seem to be sticking... obviously not related to this; but it's still a thing.

#15 4 years ago

I get lots of gold dust in my AC/DC, Star Trek and Metallica, but nothing has stopped working well yet.

#16 4 years ago

Warranty coverage on a high wear part on a machine you have had for at least a year and have played the snot out of?

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The reason I ask; is my flipper buttons seem to be sticking... obviously not related to this; but it's still a thing.

This was the symptom of my AC/DC Luci. I removed the coil stop and narrowed down the problem to a failed coil stop. Once replaced the flipper no longer stuck up.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Warranty coverage on a high wear part on a machine you have had for at least a year and have played the snot out of?

lol if you read further I said I wasn't going to call them about it.

But yeah it's been too long to ask for warranty for sure. I was thinking if there was a way just to fill the gap, maybe put a c-ring in there I could get some extra life out of them. Other than the brass wearing out the stops are still like brand new.

Rob

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Mine started sticking in the up position too.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

On the other hand, how is Stern to know they have a quality problem if nobody tells them...
I had one of my stops disintegrate like this in my AVLE so this has been a problem for a while....

They know.

On a closed operator forum, one member reported a heavily played GoT Pro had both coil stops fail in about 6 weeks.

They fail in some of my machines in a matter of months.

WMS stops work in a pinch...seem to hold up a lot better, too.

Both rotordave and schudel5 are correct as to the fit/functionality.

-Mark

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

my flipper buttons seem to be sticking

Remove. Wash, replace.

LTG : )™

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Mine started sticking in the up position too.

I'm 100% sure it's the buttons themselves; seen it many times. The button is depressed; and the switch is closed. Doesn't look like a coil stop on mine.

Quoted from LTG:

Remove. Wash, replace.

I took one out of the machine; doesn't look like I can disassemble the button itself.
Ultrasonic cleaner maybe?

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm 100% sure it's the buttons themselves; seen it many times. The button is depressed; and the switch is closed. Doesn't look like a coil stop on mine.

Some of the new buttons are very tight and can stick. The clear ones from PBL are very "sticky". Some people dismantle them and sand the shaft down a little. I find a spray of silicone spray works well.

rd

#24 4 years ago

I have to say there is some sort of problem with the coil stops right around Metallica. My MET, ST, and Mustang all had issues. It starts with brass metal shavings that start to collect in the cabinet. Check the stops and they are all loose. The collar that the stop is riveted to is worn away like the pics that Rob G shows.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I took one out of the machine; doesn't look like I can disassemble the button itself.
Ultrasonic cleaner maybe?

I soak them in Windex or 409, rinse in clear hot water. Blow dry.

This is for dirt or grime or anything that has worked it's way into them. If the plastic is misformed, no cleaning that.

LTG : )™

#26 4 years ago

Someone had posted before for some new flipper buttons that there is a tiny letter or number in the mold that was not removed/needs to be filed down and that is causing the binding. Why they put a marking there is a mystery to me.

#27 4 years ago

From my exp, sometimes the coil stops fail because the compression washer is on the coil stop side and gets wedged underneath the stop and breaks it loose. Every stern game I get in, new or used I move the compression washer to the other side to help prevent this. A loose coil stop plunger will cause the flipper plunger to stick. Stern manuals show it on the non coil stop side (#7 in the pic) but every new Stern I get has them on the coil stop side.

The sticking flipper button can be caused by the plastic lip that stops the inner button from coming out of the housing. Sometimes those wear down. Try putting a E clip where the plastic lip is or replace the button

flip_(resized).jpg

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Bricarus:

This happened on my STLE. I got replacements at Pinball Life, he said his are not made by Stern. That was a year ago and held up so far.

Do you know specifically what part you ordered from Pinball Life?

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Someone had posted before for some new flipper buttons that there is a tiny letter or number in the mold that was not removed/needs to be filed down

I looked. Doesnt appear to be the case with these buttons

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from cistearns:

This is what I replaced my Avengers coil stop with. It seems to be holding up nicely.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=274

2 weeks later
#32 4 years ago
Quoted from cistearns:

It was this one. Sorry I didn't see your question sooner.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=274

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 11.95
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside