• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by harig
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20230314-102313_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harig.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

I have had a couple of display glass with resistive crud shorts between the pins just after the pins are glued but before the pins enter inside the glass. The crud is hard to get to but can be removed with a small shaped wire/needle to bring them back to working order. Your multi-meter can show the shorts, typically the resistance between good adjacent display pins is around 600k ohms. Pity I don't have a picture handy showing the crud shorts.

Sometimes the NOS glass are more expensive than a working good used complete display.

as it fits that topic and might help someone:

I had a display where the ´dot´segment and the lower horizontal (d) segment would always light together although they should not
The pins for those segments are #10 and #14 - checked for some shorts between those pins outside of the glass but there were none.
Resistance measured was around 70kOhms which was still enough to make them light together-so there was an internal ´short´inside the glass

As there was not much to loose I tried to burn away the internal short-applied 30VDC between the 2 pins. There was a small current in the range of some mA running for a couple of seconds and then stopped.
checked the resistance between the pins-went up to the MOhms range
Resoldered the pins-tested any everything is fine now - no more internal short and every segment working as intended

...sometimes one gets lucky and things work out as intended...

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Well done, I was originally thinking of doing similar but with hundreds of volts.

I had exact the same thought but the 50kV HV generator I had at hand seemed a bit too much
I already wired the 4x 30VDC lab supply in series to get 120Vdc but in the end 30VDC did the trick

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

1,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harig.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-faulty-6-segment-display?tu=harig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.