New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 280241)

Stern Factory Tour

By delt31

40 days ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 days ago by Hayfarmer
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 40 days ago

I’m a sucker for a good factory tour and really enjoyed this video. Maybe it’s all over pinside but I haven’t seen it. A few key takeaways:

1) Shout out to all the line workers at stern. You guys prob don’t read this board and I can only imagine what they pay you but the amount of hard work you put into it - thanks so much

2) I love Jack Danger - I just think this guy is such a great ambassador for pinball. Unlike others in this hobby, he just comes off as so genuine and balanced - hard to not like the guy.

3) Gary stern rides bikes? Never knew

4) Majority of the video focused on how much QA stern does and the final game they play at the end has a shooter problem. Hilarious

#2 40 days ago

We really care about quality *wink wink. How about those Stern coil stops? Am I right? *canned laughter. “Oops the ink ran low on the printer, oh well, send it out anyway” Ba-dum-ching.

Fook Stern. I’m grateful for what I have, but never again. I’m really cheering on all the competition out there.

Looking forward to the honest pinball enthusiasts that come forward in the future. The Buffalo Pinball type...The Cary Hardys of pinball. I really hope the next generation has less of a marketing agenda.

#3 40 days ago

I like sterns, just picked up another yesterday. Was excited for gnr, not anymore.

#4 40 days ago

And, video was a fun watch until they played a game . Interesting how it's still hands on. I figured it would be more computer ,robotic manufacturing

#5 40 days ago

The video was released as part of Expo. It is great. Definitely worth watching.

#6 40 days ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I like sterns, just picked up another yesterday. Was excited for gnr, not anymore.

what did you get?

#7 40 days ago

Bksor prem, have had topper for month waiting for game. Great fast brutal ,topper is wild!

#8 40 days ago

Great video!! So which games codename is "curves".

#9 40 days ago

Awesome video! Very informative, and high quality!

Also, it was a bit funny that Stern didn't want the clear coat area being shown lol.

#10 40 days ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Hope its zepp. Not queen

#11 40 days ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I think Elvira (EHOH) was “curves”.

#12 40 days ago

(Duplicate post)

#13 40 days ago
    Quoted from PinB:

I think EHOH was “curves”.

Ahh yes, that makes sense.

#14 40 days ago

Video is cool Stern has the best designers and the best games by far. They also have the manufacturing process down. Customer service was great with Chaz not sure how it will be moving forward. As far as quality I would say it’s average to poor. Out of all my stern games I’ve had two with playfield issues. I guess I got lucky. They’ve agreed to replace one playfield and I’m still waiting to hear back on another. They are strictly an all business company. Profit is very important. And I guess that’s true with most companies. I must say I recently played the new Avengers and the game is amazing!!! Can’t wait to play it was finished code!

#15 40 days ago

Does Jack Danger work for Stern now?

#16 40 days ago
    Quoted from Toads:

Does Jack Danger work for Stern now?

I don’t think as an employee- but probably more like a contractor. He has been “official” - not just hobbyist with them for a long time now

#17 40 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I don’t think as an employee- but probably more like a contractor. He has been “official” - not just hobbyist with them for a long time now

Yes that's what I thought too but
    I noticed anything he played with, he said "we"make these.
    So it made me think that's all.

#18 40 days ago
    Quoted from Toads:

Play the role

Every booth babe in a trade show says the same thing

#19 40 days ago

The video is fun! especially the pinball game/converstaion with Gary. I was given the tour in January (Thanks Roper!) and was the only one there so got a lot of questions answered...and a lot denied. Didn't see the playfield cutting room, likely due to dust management. What struck me the most was the harness making. massively manual. Next in the 'are you kidding' was the stockroom. It's no small operation! I was there for a 1.5 hour tour and then they let me loose in the arcade for as long as I cared to play. Jurassic Park was just added to the arcade that day.

$7+K later.....

#20 40 days ago

Enjoyed the video and it was good to see the process and how many people are required and employed to get the games out. I noticed there was an Iron Maiden Premium cabinet in amongst the many Avengers IQ cabinets in the tour. Down here in Oz the suppliers have "end of license" on their website regarding IMDN and was wondering if they are still available NIB in the US?

#21 40 days ago

Yes. Dealers in Washington still have some. Have seen ads online as well

#22 40 days ago

I could have sworn I saw a goonies codename too.

Pretty amazing how much hands on work occurs in that factory

#23 40 days ago

Thanks mate, explains the cabinet in the video.

Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Yes. Dealers in Washington still have some. Have seen ads online as well

#24 40 days ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I could have sworn I saw a goonies codename too.

Stranger Things is goonies

#25 40 days ago
    Quoted from Toads:

Think of the wiredoug/Homepin arrangement that played out for all those years with the difference being that Jack Danger has credibility and Stern has product people actually want to purchase.

#26 40 days ago

When I took Sterns Tour a couple years ago, I had waited about 50 years, to finally get to Illinois to do so!

One of those Bucket List things, as I begged my parents to take me there in the 60s and 70s.

I am so grateful, they open the doors to allow us in.
    Gary, George, and Dwight were our Tour Hosts, and I can only say it was amazing for me!

From Parts control, to Line efficiency to Box Loading.....Damn Cool!
    The Playfield Dimpler stands out.

First impressions, and likely only once, for me, make it a Special Thing.

#27 39 days ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

When I took Sterns Tour a couple years ago, I had waited about 50 years, to finally get to Illinois to do so!
    One of those Bucket List things, as I begged my parents to take me there in the 60s and 70s.
    I am so grateful, they open the doors to allow us in.
    Gary, George, and Dwight were our Tour Hosts, and I can only say it was amazing for me!
    From Parts control, to Line efficiency to Box Loading.....Damn Cool!
    The Playfield Dimpler stands out.
    First impressions, and likely only once, for me, make it a Special Thing.

I think that's great they are still using old gottleib dimpler. KISS principal. Why change if simple works?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 93.00
    $ 11.95
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 189.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Other
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 9,000.00
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Tools
    PinShield
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 899.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 17.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside