12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by mkgort
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Do Stern games from around the 2002 era actually use the EOS switches on the flipper assembly? I ask because I just obtained a game from route and the EOS switches were bent apart, seemingly on purpose. It does not seem to affect gameplay, and the coils haven't burnt. The manual seems to indicate that the EOS switches are "in Cabinet side". I wasn't sure if they were used at all due to the PWM that Stern uses.

Thanks!

#2 12 years ago

as far as i know the answer is yes, they do use them on the lower flippers (i don't recall seeing them on the uppers on TSPP or RTC.

they are set NC (normally closed) so that the blades are touching when the flipper is in rest and the blades are pushed apart when the flipper is energized.

i can look tomorrow on some of the sterns that i have in the shop if you like.

christopher

#3 12 years ago

Yes, but it doesn't use it in the same manner as WMS games. Instead of cutting power to the high power side of the coil as with System 11 and non-Fliptronics WMS games, it re-pulses high power to the coil if the bat is hit by a ball and drops (which would close the EOS). Stern games (and SS flipper DE and Sega) automatically cut high power to the flipper after a period of time whether or not the EOS is opened.

So it isn't needed to keep anything from burning up. It is used to re-apply high power due to a hit on the flipper. That is why the game worked fine with the switches bent apart the entire time.

#4 12 years ago

+1 for knowledge!

Thank you very much for the info.

MK

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-eos-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.