DSC02260.JPG
image.jpg
image-317.jpg
image-811.jpg
image-625.jpg
image-16.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChadTower.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 10 years ago

Loving this thread. I have two Dragonfists in my basement waiting for full restorations. Plus a third backglass...

Why Dragonfist? No idea. It just seems like they keep coming into my life.

#28 10 years ago

How many of the light sockets did you have to replace? I have only dived into one of mine and I have probably swapped half of them. Still have issues with most of the rest. Especially that nine bulb common ground part.

#36 10 years ago

That plastic crack in the corner happened lifting the playfield, didn't it? I hate when plastics are up against the side wood like that.

#37 10 years ago

Whoa, wait a second. Where did that center drain post come from? That totally changes the difficulty of the game. The biggest threat in Dragonfist is a center drain coming down from the left orbit. That will never happen with a center post.

The gap between that post and the tip of the flipper is barely bigger than the ball!

#40 10 years ago

Heh. That is someone's mod to make the game WAY EASIER. If you leave it like that someone good at the old Sterns will roll the game multiple times. I suppose you could leave it and make the tilt super sensitive, though. Just sensitive enough that the slingshots don't tilt but anything more will.

#42 10 years ago

Watch the drain at 1:13 of that video. The gap between the center post and the flipper is so small all someone has to do is nudge the game every time a center drain is a threat and they'll reduce that drain from the majority to single digit percentage. That's like an eighth of an inch clearance on either side. You might be able to tap pass on that game without using the flipper.

#45 10 years ago

I have two of them, actually, and neither has a hole for the post.

My (14 year old) son and I are both B division level players and on a good night we'll average around 450k. I think my high is about 850k. Most of my drains come from helplessly watching the ball come down the left orbit and straight down the middle. Put a post in there and that would pretty much never happen because with a moderate tilt you can nudge that post to the right far enough to catch nearly all of those orbit drains.

Can anyone actually confirm that some came from the factory this way and they are not user mods?

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

So without a post I think mine would make me cry. But the game is still really difficult even with it. I find it hard to believe 4 games that I know of would have this "Mod". With your 2 and the one on IPDB that makes 3 so 50% that don't. I have Scott Charles Rom's in my game. I don't think the scoring is different just the bonus count time.
So it was probably so difficult they added a post later; but still did not sell many of them and finally shut the door on pinball. How do you like the game ? What sort of shape are your examples ? Do any of them have a good backglass.?

We like the game quite a bit. Given it's place in history as the last real Classic Stern, its low production numbers and the super low market value, we figured it's a really good one to target as our entry into deep game restoration. I actually have three backglasses. One is really nice and the other two I'd call C+. They can be touched up but have seen better days. I'm hoping as part of the process to get a really good scan of the nice one and send it up to John Greatwich for his direct ink work. Maybe the playfield too if I can find a way to get it scanned. And I'm probably going to make a couple of plastic sets once I get into it because the same couple of plastics is broken on every Dragonfist I've seen.

I'd love to play one with a post at some point. My biggest challenge in this game is that SDTM from the left orbit... take that away and it would almost feel like a totally different game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ChadTower.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-dragonfist-a-2014-tpf-challenge?tu=ChadTower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.