(Topic ID: 265762)

Stern Dracula not booting sound board issue?

By robm

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by robm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200405_113057 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Have a Stern Dracula, and it has been playing fine for weeks.

turned it on this morning after i reseated plugs on the sound board (sound was always a bit scratchy) to investigate the sound problem and it would not boot. No LED flashes on the MPU at all.

So i started testing all the test points, and all are good on the rectifier board, solenoid driver board and MPU - althoug pinwiki says MPU TP3 should be 21VDC and mine is 43VDC?

I also replaced the plug and header pins at J5 on the MPU.

My logic says its always the last thing you touched that caused the problem, so i focused on the sound board connectors. I replaced header plug J2 on the sound board. What i discovered is that if i remove J2, the machine leaves the MPU LED solid, however when i replace J2 on the sound board, the LED does not light at all (not even a flicker). Does this indicate a sound board issue - if so, what can i check/test/replace?

I have also put the MPU in paragon, and it boots fine, so i know the issue is NOT the MPU or header pins.

Any help appreciated as this one has me stumped!

#2 4 years ago

Pic attached

20200405_113057 (resized).jpg20200405_113057 (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago

Reseat both ends of the sound board cables

#4 4 years ago

Well, got it sorted and this is one of the few times it had nothing to do with the last thing i touched. Found one of the 6821 chips had a hiarline fracture in the leg. Must have been just at the right contact point when i tested the MPU in the other machine!

Repalced it, and all good

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-dracula-not-booting-sound-board-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.