Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    945B94ED-23EC-49EE-93E9-80D5843E0F39 (resized).jpeg
    687D0F72-A099-415D-B55A-C63C73A71851 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zachtoops:

Any insight on diagnosis of Stern Dmd power board? Fuse blows immediately when turned on.

Does the fuse blow without the Plasma Display connected? If not, you may need to replace the display; I would replace it with a low power LCD or LED display at which point you will not even need the DMD power board.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

My guess is that capacitor C2 is shorted.

This is an interesting guess; I'm curious as to what brought you to this conclusion? And why not C1?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zachtoops:

Or does anyone repairs these for a decent price?

IMO this board is not cost effective to repair; this is based on the 50% rule which is that any item that costs over 50% of the new purchase price should be replaced; as a board repair guy I don't like this at all, but unfortunately this is the world we live in.

Since I would charge a minimum of $35 to test the board (not repair) you have already met this 50% threshold as you can purchase a new board from Marco for $70, plus you have to pay shipping both ways; this doesn't even address the possibility that the board may test 100% operational in which case you are out around $50 and are no better off.

Link to replacement board:
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5138-00

If it turns out you plasma display is bad and you decide to replace it with a low voltage display, I made a post in the LOTR forum about a year ago on how to completely bypass and remove this board from your machine; here is the link to that post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/61#post-4442968

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Just the location of the fuse protecting the 110VAC line and not the 88VAC side. If C2 has shorted that fuse will blow. Maybe a shorted C1 could blow the fuse but I don't see that as being obvious.

I think I see how you can come to that conclusion looking at only this board and not seeing the bigger picture on how this board ties into the rest of the machine.

This entire board is essentially nothing more than a rectifier/regulator in that it takes two AC inputs to provide 3 DC outputs. The fuse itself is actually bonded to tied directly to both the 88VAC and 110VAC equally as it provides a center tap to the transformers secondary windings which is bonded to ground on the board as shown below.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

The schematic was also missing some important output information which may have helped to show how the fuse actually prevents overcurrent condition of all three DC voltages (-120, -100, and +60) as the current path must return to the transformer via F1.

This is a very simplified current path as it ignores all of the regulation and filtering of the AC voltages that the board performs.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zachtoops:

Are the transistors the only thing that can be tested on the board?

No, you should be able to check the diodes as well, you are essentially looking for a dead short so it should be fairly clear which part is bad. If D1 or D2 becomes shorted, then you are going to loose D3 or D4 respectively as they will likely become shorted as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-dmd-power-board-popping-fuse-520-5138-00?tu=Pin_Guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.