Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Rock914
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Fact 1. Labour is a huge part of the cost of pinball machines.

Fact 2. An increasing amount of pins are sold to home collectors.

Fact 3. Many home hobbyists love to spend endless hours modding/tinkering at home on their pins.

Fact 4. Online communities like pinside offer free help with almost any issue.

So... Imagine if Stern released DIY pinball kits for current games. It could come in a smaller shipping box as one would have to glue body together so shipping would be less. Wiring harness done at factory but every single part included in kit.

Think Lego set for pinball - or IKEA for pinball. Different sections in numbered bags with detailed instructions included.

Stern would sell with warranty only on parts saving them even more money. Instructions would cost more but entire production line disappears at factory. Many more hobbyists could get in as kits would be half the price. Secondary market would pop up with experts building and then selling games. Code development would be as today. Perhaps eventually every new pin could be sold as assembled or as kit.

What are your thoughts on Stern releasing DIY pinbal kits? Has it been done before? Would you buy?

#2 7 years ago

I'll buy

#3 7 years ago

Ben heck is exploring the idea of making a small pinballl kit and taking it to market if it's feasible. There's a thread on here about it. Just search for teensy pin.

#4 7 years ago

I would love to build a pinball machine from a kit! Especially if it meant saving some money.

#5 7 years ago

I'll take mine in a big rectangular brown box on my doorstep. Not for me, Sorry.

#6 7 years ago

It is a neat idea, but the customer support aspect of this would be a complete and never ending nightmare for Stern. I would imagine many many buyers would over estimate their skill and motivation when purchasing a kit. If they bought the parts they may expect the supplier to talk them through problems and replace parts broken in assembly. Also, your average pinball collector probably makes 3X the hourly rate of a assembly worker at Stern. Stern people probably assemble it a 5x the speed you or I would too. It doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense to do it yourself when your time costs 3x as much. I have a cleaning lady because her time costs me 1/3~ of what I earn.

#7 7 years ago

It could be a liability issue for stern. If someone assembles something wrong and causes a fire or electrocution etc Sterns name will be brought into any litigation. Also UL listing wouldn't cover a device like this because specs on all kits would be different bases on how their assembled by purchaser.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

It is a neat idea, but the customer support aspect of this would be a complete and never ending nightmare for Stern.

Buyers would purchase knowing there are no warranties from Stern perhaps just limited warranty on parts and that they are all there and that's it. Big advantage for Stern.

Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Stern people probably assemble it a 5x the speed you or I would too. It doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense to do it yourself

Completely agree. Like much of pinball, this makes no financial sense and is for hobbyists only. Not for everyone for sure, and there would be partially assembled kits for sale on pinside for those that failed, but there are many that would love to spend time on this. Also, keep in mind that many larger assemblies would be pre-assembled.

#9 7 years ago

I would love this option. If they can make kits for airplanes then I am sure someone could figure this out.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Completely agree. Like much of pinball, this makes no financial sense and is for hobbyists only. Not for everyone for sure, and there would be partially assembled kits for sale on pinside for those that failed, but there are many that would love to spend time on this. Also, keep in mind that many larger assemblies would be pre-assembled.

You make a very valid point, I do a ton of stuff in this hobby that makes no economic sense! I do it because I have fun doing it. I stand by my points but also see the truth in yours

#11 7 years ago

This would really make you understand what a pinball machine actually does! And,easy to repair,if you built it yourself!A maybe for me!!

#12 7 years ago

This kit would not be a product for stern. It would be a great product for mission pinball or fast pinball; their already a maker community.

E.g.
    Provide a kit that gives all common mechs, switches, and lights ect for a game "in the spirit of" a stern title. Then the customer could find a Playfield to install it all on, or make their own Playfield. .....imagine a kit with all the bits to make a tron machine, just without any of the IP infringing items. Those would be bought from Marco or stern.

#13 7 years ago

I wired my whitewater from scratch. lots of assembly required sounds like fun to me.

#14 7 years ago

If this is ever done they will be made in china.

#15 7 years ago

I would go crazy building it for weeks and not getting to play right out of the box

#16 7 years ago

LOL! Everyone wants to save a dime and then complain about what they get for saving said dime. Complete nightmare, if someone made this happen they would soon regret it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-diy-pinball-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.