Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Can someone recommend a Stern distributor? I'm in the Central PA area if that matters. Right after I move next week, I'll be picking up a new machine. I haven't decided if I want to pay the premium for a used Tron, or go with a NIB Star Trek Pro or Metallica Pro. I've never bought NIB before and was looking for some recommendations on who to shop with for the best price.

#2 8 years ago

Coin Taker

#3 8 years ago

Cointaker is in PA.

#4 8 years ago

JJ at game exchange Colorado
Trent at Tilt
The fine folks at Cointaker
Pinball Refinery

#5 8 years ago

Damn, that was fast. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy locally as opposed to someone on the other side of the US just because of shipping?

Then again, if I buy in Pa, I have to pay that pesky 6% sales tax.

#6 8 years ago

Call all of them. It's a hassle, but buying NIB is almost like buying a used car. The closest distro is not always the cheapest. You can mention you're on pinside, but I've actually found that my price is the same when I mention pinside versus not mentioning it.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Call all of them. It's a hassle, but buying NIB is almost like buying a used car.

I don't mind spending some time calling. I guess I was just wondering if there was anyone that I shouldn't bother to call, if you get my drift.

#8 8 years ago

JJ at GEX and Trent at Tilt are the ONLY 2 worth calling IME.

You are wasting your time with the others. These guys have the best service, best prices, and are the most accomodating I have found!

I specifically avoid cointaker at all costs. After the crap that went down with them selling their IM original a week or so before the IMVE annoucement that was all the reason I need to never support them.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I don't mind spending some time calling. I guess I was just wondering if there was anyone that I shouldn't bother to call, if you get my drift.

Nope - most will give you fair numbers, but there's a few that are almost always $50-100 more than the rest. Also call Mike at Flipper Fidelity.

Quoted from Whysnow:

You are wasting your time with the others. These guys have the best service, best prices, and are the most accomodating I have found!

To play the game here, those two are the highest I've found in my searching. So it's all relative.

#10 8 years ago

Call coin taker, and tell Melissa that Travis recommended you to her.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Nope - most will give you fair numbers, but there's a few that are almost always $50-100 more than the rest. Also call Mike at Flipper Fidelity.

To play the game here, those two are the highest I've found in my searching. So it's all relative.

very interesting!

#12 8 years ago

^"Duff man angry" Don't be mad because I help take care of my dealer, just as she has helped me.

#13 8 years ago

Call Melissa at Cointaker !

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

very interesting!

Yeah, I don't quite understand the way pinball prices work. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but the process is really quite taxing at times. I know it's only $100-200 on a large purchase, but it sort of shows you that each distro has their own small agenda at play. It is what it is, though. I think all of the guys I've called and spoken to have been class acts, but the prices are all different.

The only real joke I've found (no offense) is the distros who say they offer a "Pinside discount" when I've NEVER been given two different numbers. And I've tested this theory, ha.

Just call the whole list and see what comes of it. Building a reputation will help, but I can say that it didn't necessarily help me get a better price on a second NIB I had quoted.

#15 8 years ago

I purchased my KISS LE from JJ at Colorado Game Exchange.

I didn't want to buy from Automated…just look at what they're charging for KISS LE.

#16 8 years ago

I just picked up a NIB Star Trek Pro from Trent at TILT. Was a great transaction and i would buy from him again in a heartbeat. Good guy and pretty impressive place he has.

#17 8 years ago

If I were to buy the Hobbit, I couldn't buy directly from Jack. I'd go through an out of state distributor to bypass the 7% sales tax in this state…and his plant is all but 20 minutes from me.

#18 8 years ago

JJ at Game Exchange - great guy to deal with.

#19 8 years ago

I bought my NIB Mustang Pro from Cointaker, they even threw in a few mods.

#20 8 years ago

Many good Distros out there.. Melissa at cointaker has been awesome to deal with! JJ at GEX is fantastic as well! If your new game has a problem JJ is great about helping with Stern warranty issues (that's important!)

#21 8 years ago

I recommend Trent at Tilt Amusements (http://tiltamusements.com) or JJ at Game Exchange (http://gameexchange.biz).

In the past, Trent has usually offered the best price. However, both offer great service, and both have gone to bat for me when Stern required me to go through my distributor to get replacement parts for game issues.

#22 8 years ago

Cointaker is awesome!!

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I specifically avoid cointaker at all costs. After the crap that went down with them selling their IM original a week or so before the IMVE annoucement that was all the reason I need to never support them.

So what you are saying is that CoinTaker should have violated their agreements with Stern and told the person to wait a couple weeks? I mean yes, it was a bummer. But I'm not sure any vendor would have said no to a sale right then.

#24 8 years ago

I have my games shipped. So a typical pro in the 46-4700 range shipped NIB to my zip code. Anything within a hundred bucks is no big deal to me. The service is where it matters. All of those mentioned are large volume dealers with stern and are able to help you out with problems after the sale. That's where the distros can really shine.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So what you are saying is that CoinTaker should have violated their agreements with Stern and told the person to wait a couple weeks? I mean yes, it was a bummer. But I'm not sure any vendor would have said no to a sale right then.

I am saying they lost future business by opting to sell an IM original for top dollar just a short time before the IMVE annoncement. As has been noted many times by Stern, they keep their distributor network in the loop before the general public. It is highly suspect that they chose to sell their own personal game (already open and being used on route if I remember correctly), not sell it to their close personal friend that had been looking for an IM, and instead sell it to someone else given the timing.

Given the many choices for good/great distributors to buy with, I know whom should be avoided.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

So a typical pro in the 46-4700 range shipped NIB to my zip code.

Do you have someone you typically use? My numbers are a few hundred higher than yours, but I haven't heard back from all the companies I contacted.

#27 8 years ago

Cointaker quoted me *removed - Call them for a price* with a red tremor shaker for a KISS pro a few weeks ago. Been waiting to pull the trigger due to the issues I've been reading about. Trent quoted me the exact same price minus shaker and I had to pick it up. I haven't called anyone else.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

JJ is great. I've bought from him twice. That said, I think the above is rather unfair to many of the great distributors.

Gio at Pinball Refinery is awesome. There are about others that are great too. I've bought from five (5) different distributors over the years, they all had their pros and cons to some extent.

#29 8 years ago

Trent at Tilt Amusements is awesome.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think the above is rather unfair to many of the great distributors

I said "IME" which means In My Experience.

I was not trying to be fair, I was trying to be honest that from my experience with the most recent 4 Stern games those are the only 2 people worth calling. It is interesting that others have not found that to be true.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Cointaker quoted me 4700 shipped with a red tremor shaker for a KISS pro a few weeks ago. Been waiting to pull the trigger due to the issues I've been reading about. Trent quoted me the exact same price minus shaker and I had to pick it up. I haven't called anyone else.

I've only heard back from Tilt and they were higher, but that included shipping, which makes sense. I haven't heard back from Cointaker, but they are only about an hour from me so i could pick it up. But then I'm back to that damn 6% sales tax.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Game Exchange.

#32 8 years ago

Call Melissa at Cointaker. She has been very helpful in helping me solve the issues with my KISS Pro I bought from her last month.

FYI -your NIB game will ship from Chicago, so you can't pick it up in PA.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

FYI -your NIB game will ship from Chicago, so you can't pick it up in PA.

Ah, I didn't know that....I was hoping I could pick it up and save a few bucks on shipping.

#34 8 years ago

Deal with your local distributor. If you have an issue, then you can deal with your local distributor. Chris and Melissa at CoinTaker are great folks.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If I were to buy the Hobbit, I couldn't buy directly from Jack. I'd go through an out of state distributor to bypass the 7% sales tax in this state…and his plant is all but 20 minutes from me.

I know this is a Stern discussion, but if you pick up your JJP in Lakewood, it is 3.5% sales tax as Lakewood is one of those NJ urban enterprise zone with reduced sales tax.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from louvnj:

I know this is a Stern discussion, but if you pick up your JJP in Lakewood, it is 3.5% sales tax as Lakewood is one of those NJ urban enterprise zone with reduced sales tax.

Thank you.

I didn't realize that.

know parts of Long Branch that are on the beach, with million dollar condos, fall under the UEZ…can't figure out how.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Thank you.
I didn't realize that.
know parts of Long Branch that are on the beach, with million dollar condos, fall under the UEZ…can't figure out how.

Because there are many parts of Long Branch that are just brutal and could really use some type of revitalization.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I said "IME" which means In My Experience.
I was not trying to be fair, I was trying to be honest that from my experience with the most recent 4 Stern games those are the only 2 people worth calling. It is interesting that others have not found that to be true.

Ah, I see. Your writing style is often one of absolutes and is misleading (at least in my eyes). Telling people they are "wasting their time" with anyone else is a pretty major absolute and infers you have experience with all the other distributors.

#39 8 years ago

Can someone recommend a Stern distributor? I'm in the Central PA area if that matters. Right after I move next week, I'll be picking up a new machine. I haven't decided if I want to pay the premium for a used Tron, or go with a NIB Star Trek Pro or Metallica Pro. I've never bought NIB before and was looking for some recommendations on who to shop with for the best price.

Talk to Mike Pupo, his prices are the best, he's in Reading PA; runs Flipper Fidelity; great dude; his # is 610-223-4082.

#40 8 years ago

You gotta give the Pinball Refinery a call Steve Or gio are great people to deal with if you had a trade they might take the trade I would never deal with coin taker had a bad experience with them will never buy another product from them also if you want the best LED's In pinball talk to art from Comet. I think it's all about customer service sometimes the cheapest price Is not the best deal..

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

one of absolutes

it is the internet Tiger... everything is just an opinion

That said, call Trent and JJ first! THEN go down the list and compare with others.

#42 8 years ago

So far Cointaker is in the lead. I haven't heard back from Game Exchange. I spoke with Melissa yesterday and she was very pleasant and extremely helpful.

#43 8 years ago

So far Cointaker is in the lead. I haven't heard back from Game Exchange. I spoke with Melissa yesterday and she was very pleasant and extremely helpful.

I'll have to call her and see if I can finally get a price. I have literally called her 4 times and got a "I'll call you right back with your prices" and then radio silence.

#44 8 years ago

I suspect you're not looking for a distributor in the south Texas area, but for those that may be, Charlie at www.joystixamusements.com has always done right by me.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I purchased my KISS LE from JJ at Colorado Game Exchange.
I didn't want to buy from Automated…just look at what they're charging for KISS LE.

I agree!!! JJ is very easy to deal with!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I suspect you're not looking for a distributor in the south Texas area, but for those that may be, Charlie at http://www.joystixamusements.com has always done right by me.

I've bought from Charlie before and I use to refer him a lot of business from Lake Charles.

Charlie is a fun guy and his parties are awesome (he is an amazing host) but his prices just don't compete with the guys who drop ship direct from Stern. He sells at or near MSRP...I would buy from him if he were even close to the other retailers but he sadly is not.

I guess I still have a bit of butt burn on Charlie for Metalica LE too, but such is life.

#47 8 years ago

There is 8.25% sales tax if you are in Texas as well.

#48 8 years ago

I stand corrected - I called and spoke to Melissa at Cointaker. Best price delivered thus far, also includes a shaker. Call her up.

It does help that I get things shipped to a terminal, but still.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Charlie is a fun guy and his parties are awesome (he is an amazing host) but his prices just don't compete with the guys who drop ship direct from Stern.

True, he does charge more than JJ / Trent, but some of that is offset with shipping in my case. It's also nice to have that relationship with someone local to me. He's quick to service what he sells. I can also call Charlie and set up a time to stop by over my lunch hour, and spend time playing the newest (or newest to me) titles. Plus, he's good taking trade-backs. I purchased High Speed, kept it for a year or so, traded it back towards a Monopoly which lasted only a month. Traded that for Avatar which lasted a year or so, then traded that towards AC/DC Premium. ....hard to do that with someone who is not local.

Quoted from fish1975tx:

There is 8.25% sales tax if you are in Texas as well.

Not if you pay with cash.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

It's also nice to have that relationship with someone local to me.

This was why I bought my old Tron LE from him even though I could have obtained one cheaper elsewhere. My then previous distributor for Stern was Jack so I thought I'd try a local guy.

Quoted from SunKing:

He's quick to service what he sells.

My good friend that lives in Houston agrees with this statement. For us in Lake Charles he sold to we've had different experiences (mostly due to the distance, not entirely his fault by any means).

Quoted from SunKing:

I can also call Charlie and set up a time to stop by over my lunch hour, and spend time playing the newest (or newest to me) titles.

Yep, Charlie is a great host and the parties at Joystix are awesome.

Quoted from SunKing:

Plus, he's good taking trade-backs. I purchased High Speed, kept it for a year or so, traded it back towards a Monopoly which lasted only a month. Traded that for Avatar which lasted a year or so, then traded that towards AC/DC Premium. ....hard to do that with someone who is not local.

Gosh, this was not my experience with Charlie at all. I've talked with him about trades and left the discussion feeling like I had a piece of rotten wood. I guess that's how a retailer needs to conduct business but I just didn't get the vibe of straightforwardness, which as a repeat customer (who referred him a lot of business) I felt I should have received.

I certainly don't want to bag on Charlie as he's a fun guy and has great traits and he stands behind his used machines better than many retailers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
Trade
$ 29.95
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-distributors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.