Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

segment (resized).PNG
#1 6 years ago

This is going to be a little difficult to explain so bare with me. I'm working on a Stern Wild Fyre. I've replaced all the headers and connectors. All displays work except one. I've moved it from player 2 to player 4 and the problem remains on the display.

The display works fine except two segments come on when they shouldn't. Looks like when segment G lights segments D and E also come on (but not as bright). This occurs on all digits. But the real strange thing is when it lights "4" segments D and E don't light.

1 and 2 light fine
3 lights but segments D and E glow.
4 light fine (and D and E don't glow???)
5 lights but segment E glows
6 lights fine
7 lights fine
8 lights fine
9 light but segment E glows

Could this be a short in the glass or somewhere on the board?

If something is shorted on segment G then why wouldn't the 4 not glow segments D and E?

Anyone ever seen this problem?

#2 6 years ago

segment (resized).PNGsegment (resized).PNG

#3 6 years ago

First step with bad segments is to replace the related transistors

#4 6 years ago

The segments work - just work too much

#5 6 years ago

Bad in any way, it's usually the transistors for me or occasionally the BCD decoder.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks

Segment G seems to work OK. The transistor wouldn't cause the other transistors to energize would it?

Perhaps I change Q16 and Q17 for segments D and E.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

Bob

#7 6 years ago

I found something interesting - Trying to decide which transistors to change I checked continuity from the transistors to the decoder. I found the base of Q16 and Q17 are shorted. Therefore decoder pins 12 and 13 are also showing short.

Could the problem be in the decoder rather than a transistor?

Thanks

Bob

#8 6 years ago

I just pulled up the base of Q17 and decoder pins 12 and 13 still show a short. I think the decoder is shorted.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I just pulled up the base of Q17 and decoder pins 12 and 13 still show a short. I think the decoder is shorted.

Definitely seems like the decoder has a problem then, but do the transistors test fine? Something had to damage those pins on the decoder. It could have been a one time spike or something and the transistors are fine, but I'd test them after replacing the decoder to be safe

#10 6 years ago

I just replaced the decoder with a new chip socket. But I think you're right - I'll replace the transistors as well. Better safe than sorry.

It's getting late so I'll finish tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

#11 6 years ago

Thanks zacaj, I followed your advise and replaced the transistors, plugged in a new decoder and it tests fine now.

All displays are working great.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 10.00
$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-display-segment-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.