(Topic ID: 119001)

Stern dimming LED backbox panel from www.arcadeupkeep.com

By gms1975

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160515_082046_(resized).jpg
    20160515_082057_(resized).jpg
    20160515_082039_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3994.JPG
    IMG_3986.JPG
    IMG_3990.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

I just installed my Stern dimming back box panel from www.arcadeupkeep.com in my POTC. It was pretty easy to install and does what it is supposed to do. It evens out the lighting behind the translate and dims when the game starts and brightens back up when the game ends. It is adjustable to dim as low as you want. Takes away the reflective glare from from the translate onto the playfield glass. It doesn't flash or anything, just dims. (He will custom make them to flash if you want for extra $$) For $65.00 you can't go wrong in my opinion. You could make it cheaper yourself, but I didn't want to invest the time.

IMG_3986.JPGIMG_3986.JPG IMG_3990.JPGIMG_3990.JPG IMG_3994.JPGIMG_3994.JPG
    #2 9 years ago

Thanks. It looks nice.

#3 9 years ago

Very nice, thanks for the post.

#4 9 years ago

Works pretty nice in my ACDC Premium. I like the dimming during game play.

For ACDC Premium I had to trim a couple of big chunks off the edge on the bottom to get it to fit over the big heat sink for the LED power supply. That was after I moved the power supply down a couple of inches or it would not have fit at all.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from gms1975:

I just installed my Stern dimming back box panel from http://www.arcadeupkeep.com in my POTC. It was pretty easy to install and does what it is supposed to do. It evens out the lighting behind the translate and dims when the game starts and brightens back up when the game ends. It is adjustable to dim as low as you want. Takes away the reflective glare from from the translate onto the playfield glass. It doesn't flash or anything, just dims. (He will custom make them to flash if you want for extra $$) For $65.00 you can't go wrong in my opinion. You could make it cheaper yourself, but I didn't want to invest the time.

IMG_3990.JPG 72 KB

IMG_3986.JPG 110 KB

IMG_3994.JPG 178 KB

ya talked me into it, I just bought 2.

#6 9 years ago

their smart color under cab lighting kits work awesome to, intergraded to play along with your game, great mod at a great price.

#7 9 years ago

I've installed 3 of these including 1 in fgy yesterday. I'll be installing 1 in my Stle today..Im a dyi kind of guy but this is a no-brainer. Great product with great instructions.

1 year later
    #8 8 years ago

I just installed one of these in my TWD Premium. What a difference it makes! I'm very impressed by how clever the guy is who created this. A very worthwhile purchase if you are having issues due to the back box lights creating glare on your game. Highly recommended!

1 month later
    #10 7 years ago

I just finished installing one on my ST Pro.
    The translite finally looks evenly lit and the colors on it pop.
    Then, when you press start, the leds dim to your set level (I was happy with the factory settings, so I didn't change anything), when the game is done, it fades right back up. The kit includes everything you need including a power splitter in case your using the power connector on the front right of the machine.
    Brandon does a nice job on these, I can't give enough positive feedback about this product.

#11 7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone, glad you enjoyed your backbox panels!

#12 7 years ago

Just a quick update to include some pictures. The first is of the box translite fully lit.
    The second is it dimmed for game play.
    Honestly, its better in person that these pictures can replicate.

20160515_082039_(resized).jpg20160515_082039_(resized).jpg
    20160515_082057_(resized).jpg20160515_082057_(resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

Just a quick update to include some pictures. The first is of the box translite fully lit.
    The second is it dimmed for game play.
    Honestly, its better in person that these pictures can replicate.

I have my games dimmed a bit more then you. Really like this mod.

Hey gms, any way you can come up with one of these for the new Spike games?

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I have my games dimmed a bit more then you. Really like this mod.
    Hey gms, any way you can come up with one of these for the new Spike games?

It's actually pretty dim when looking at it in person. Damn cameras don't do it any justice. Look at how bright the playfield is compared to the backbox.
    As far a dimmer for Spike, it would have to be a different method because Stern light the backbox with LEDs on the mainboard so there is no florescent tube to remove. I image Stern could write that into the code though.

1 year later
    #15 6 years ago

We now have a kit that works with both the SPIKE and SPIKE 2 system, check it out!

www.arcadeupkeep.com

#16 6 years ago

Cool, I knew you guys would figure it out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-dimming-led-backbox-panel-from-wwwarcadeupkeepcom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.