(Topic ID: 57553)

Stern destroys faith in the American Dream!?

By snaroff

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pezpunk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1060126677.jpg
    DSCN1617.JPG
    blonde-ponytail.jpg
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

The video at the bottom of the page is full of win

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

22 pinball machines and 9 avocado trees.

AMEN brother!

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

The video at the bottom of the page is full of win

The lady said something like "if they build a Wal-Mart our kids will get criminal records because kids will steal and get caught by Wal-Mart security". LOL

I guess the local businesses just accept stealing and don't bother trying to catch the thieves.

#54 10 years ago

Oh The video I saw was how to make a american flag out of bacon lol.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-make-a-bacon-american-flag-2013-7

#55 10 years ago

I thought you meant this (go to the 1:02 mark of this video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0lMfoA5ZozE

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Wtf is the American dream in 2013 anyways?!

impeach the president and all of his evil hoardes

#57 10 years ago

Don't you hate pants!!... Impeach Churchill

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The lady said something like "if they build a Wal-Mart our kids will get criminal records because kids will steal and get caught by Wal-Mart security". LOL

That's both sad and funny ... All at the same time!

maybe the parents might wanna tell their kids not to steal stuff ... That's the ticket!

rd.

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

maybe the parents might wanna tell their kids not to steal stuff

Yep, that's basic parenting. Say no A LOT and explain why. Too bad not many people know how to these days.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Wtf is the American dream in 2013 anyways?!

Not being deported?

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I guess I am living the american dream according to a few of you...
    My wife looks like that pic, I have a house that isnt under water, and I own a prius. LOL

I was with you until the Prius. I like vagina too, but I won't drive around in one.

#62 10 years ago

Apologies for bringing politics into things, I had seen the crap line about Wal-Mart and DC and the minimum wage and wanted to set the record straight; usually I keep politics to places like reason.com and the like that are for that kind of thing. I don't even post anything on facebook because you never know what kind of vindictive asshole is going to go off on you because you don't kow-tow to their little special interest group, and I don't put bumper stickers on my car because some self-important jerk may key it because they can't tolerate someone having a different political opinion.

Speaking of the American Dream, anyone else here that's read Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, where looking for the American Dream (in 1971) is a major theme? If I was to build my own pinball machine, I'd definitely consider F&L as a theme.

#63 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I was with you until the Prius. I like vagina too, but I won't drive around in one.

All the cool kids are. Prius here too. My other car is a vagina

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Hey, hey, hey, its the wife's. Although, I do enjoy getting 60 MPG in the summer to and from the city from time to time.

#65 10 years ago

The problem with the logic of "anyone can make it" is we are not working with a level playfield. I watched a good documentry called "Park Avenue" which explained this pretty well in simple terms. The example they used is a game of monopoly. Assumeing we were playing a game of monopoly and i started you with half of the money your supposed to start with and i started myself with twice the amount the game is normally started with. Then i knock down the amount you collect when you pass go, and i bump mine up to twice the normal amount. Who do you think will win the game? This is very similar to how life works.

Take a ride through a rough neighborhood in Philly, Detroit, Camden NJ (roll your windows up, lock your doors and dont stop for stop lights); take a look around and tell me these people have just a good a shot at making it as anyone else does.

There are many factors which play into this, one of which is how you were brought up, as mentioned here by some.

#66 10 years ago

o-din said:
    22 pinball machines and 9 avocado trees.

AMEN brother!

23!

DSCN1617.JPGDSCN1617.JPG

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Hey, hey, hey, its the wife's. Although, I do enjoy getting 60 MPG in the summer to and from the city from time to time.

So, how hard do you drive your wife's vagina when she lets you in it?

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Like he stole it.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

If I was to build my own pinball machine, I'd definitely consider F&L as a theme.

As your attorney, I advise you to build a F&L pin.

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

That article is lame. There is no one that is going to go out and get yours for you. I don't feel bad when I go to McDonald's and get served by a 40 year old. No one held there hand and told you this is the best you can do.

Nice attitude. good luck with that in the next 30 years. The article shines light on very serious and growing trends...trends that already impact you and me in ways we may not even realize yet....and will continue to impact all of us in very negative ways if allowed to continue. I prefer to play pinball in a safe and civilized society. Drastically unequal societies are not often safe to do anything in, let alone play $7k toys.

#73 10 years ago

If you think the United States is 'drastically unequal', what do you call somewhere like North Korea, where the ruler builds missiles to try to make himself look important on the world stage, while most of his population is starving?

There are far worse things in the world than (financial) inequality.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

If you think the United States is 'drastically unequal', what do you call somewhere like North Korea, where the ruler builds missiles to try to make himself look important on the world stage, while most of his population is starving?
    There are far worse things in the world than (financial) inequality.

This will be my last post on this topic (you're welcome everyone!). Here it is:

Comparing the United States of America to North Korea is rather silly. But if these trends continue, it won't be silly at all. What do you think happens to countries with drastic economic inequality? What types of country do they become? I'm sure the moneyed elites and politically powerful in North Korea do just fine. What side would you align yourself on, if you had to honestly place yourself on one side of the divide or the other? If the US became like North Korea, would you be building missiles or starving? You may well find out here in your own country sooner than you think.

On the other hand, maybe the comparison isn't so silly right now after all. The US of A builds alot of missiles (and drones etc.)....while a greater and greater percentage of American people (including the families of many soldiers) live below the poverty line, own zero property, have zero savings, are in dept, are uneducated and are in poor health. Hmmmmmmmm.

#75 10 years ago

24!

1060126677.jpg1060126677.jpg

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

My other car is a Volkswagen. I sure like a German v ..... never mind.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #78 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

haha what an absurd comparison. how about we compare the usa to other first world nations, as the article in the op does? the evidence clearly shows that america's comparatively conservative economic policies have resulted in greater inequality and less economic mobility. philosophise and quibble over terminology and call liberals names all you like, but the numbers dont lie. reaganics failed everyone except the already-rich.

If you think the last 5 years have been 'conservative', then you are too deranged to hold a conversation with. Who's the current President?

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

You drive a Tesla S huh? Nice!

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

If you think the last 5 years have been 'conservative', then you are too deranged to hold a conversation with. Who's the current President?

compared to the other first world nations of the world, yes our approach to markets is still very conservative. also, our current situation is shaped by the LAST 40 YEARS of policy, not just the last 5.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-destroys-faith-in-the-american-dream/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.