Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Gumby510
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190527_121033 (resized).jpg
20190527_134839 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190520_173124 (resized).jpg
E7827524-BBE1-4BDC-935C-5693576E2767 (resized).png
871DBB39-6F4E-4B4F-BABD-5985E339ECFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_1324 (resized).jpeg
GBbroke1 (resized).jpg
GBbroke3 (resized).jpg
GBbroke2 (resized).jpg
4DB6F458-2DB8-4D77-887D-3B96B4AE2B7F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guymontag451.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#81 5 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Sad that it takes bitching to get them to ship 2 day in circumstances like this. My Munsters CPU died after 30 plays. Took 2 weeks before I had a replacement (and that's with some bitching).
I've been buying NIB since 2004, and things have gotten much worse with the SPIKE platform. Considering how lightly used they are in the home, can't imagine what arcades are having to deal with.

Sorry to hear that, but having an arcade I can say that the game quality that I have had with Stern has been exceptional. I think that basically crazylevi is spot on. ALL GAMES, BY ALL MANUFACTURERS, IN ALL ERAS have problems. Stern is no worse, and honestly from an operator's perspective, much more reliable than their current competitors. Learn to work on your games, it's part of pinball. It's a good with the bad kinda thing. Most fixes are exceedingly simple to get or keep a game up and running. Just takes a little time and patience and a will to learn. Stern gets WAY too much crap on their build quality in my opinion. We successfully operate dozens of Sterns from all their eras, and have no real complaints about them being "low quality" or "crap".

#83 5 months ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

I will agree after working on some 90 dmd games I lifted that playfield and was blown away about how simplified it was. I’m just mad it died after 2 hours and I want to play it now haha.

Naturally, that totally sucks. But it hasn't been the norm in my experience. The distributor should make you whole, but some distributors are much better than others. They should jump to help you, and if they don't buy from somebody else. They are supposed to be equipped for these sorts of things and the pinball manufacturers rely on and expect their distributors to provide on the ground customer support.

I would also reach out to Stern and tell them about your experience with the distributor. They listen to that sort of thing and they will even pull somebody's distributorship if they aren't servicing their customers properly.

I hope that your game is up and running soon!

#85 5 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Dude, I'm very handy and "work on my games". Very rarely to I need help. Unfortunately, when node/cpu boards crap out, I'm not equipped to diagnose/fix this level of problem. Doubt you would be capable of fixing a SPIKE CPU problem as well.
This notion that "all games have problems" is proof that SPIKE board quality is acceptable is false.

They will send you another one for free if you contact them. I really don't get why people hate this so much. Just contact them, and explain your issue on your brand new game. They stand behind their products, and will replace any defects. All manufacturers have made me whole when I have had quality issues in the past. Stern does too.

Quoted from snaroff:

Sad that it takes bitching to get them to ship 2 day in circumstances like this. My Munsters CPU died after 30 plays. Took 2 weeks before I had a replacement (and that's with some bitching).
I've been buying NIB since 2004, and things have gotten much worse with the SPIKE platform. Considering how lightly used they are in the home, can't imagine what arcades are having to deal with.

I was responding to this. My business partner and I own a pinball arcade, and he still maintains a large route around town, we buy plenty of modern Sterns and operate them all over town easily and reliably. You can hate them if you want to, but your assertion that arcades must struggle with bad Stern build quality is patently false. We have always had no major problems other than normal maintenance on them. In fact, if anything the Lord of the Rings is the hardest game to keep running (although I would say that this is most likely just due to volume of plays for the last 15 years) rather than the new node board games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Novato, CA
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 119.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
5,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 129.25
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Davenport, IA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guymontag451.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside