Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Gumby510
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190527_121033 (resized).jpg
20190527_134839 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190520_173124 (resized).jpg
E7827524-BBE1-4BDC-935C-5693576E2767 (resized).png
871DBB39-6F4E-4B4F-BABD-5985E339ECFA (resized).jpeg
IMG_1324 (resized).jpeg
GBbroke1 (resized).jpg
GBbroke3 (resized).jpg
GBbroke2 (resized).jpg
4DB6F458-2DB8-4D77-887D-3B96B4AE2B7F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 3 months ago
Quoted from DNO:

Wow, a broken scoop, never seen that before.
Oh, wait! Maybe on just about every game w a scoop.
Actually the metal they use is thicker gauge than the old B/W stuff.
Operating commercially, I would suggest your friend find a welder.
Fwiw, my deadpool scoop is fine, thousands of plays, and when it breaks, I'll get it welded.

Always have to laugh at the Stern die hard fanboys that try to deny Stern has reduced parts and build quality. There is no question that modern Stern games are not built to the same standard as older BW games or even older Stern games and current JJP games.

The real question is whether this is a real issue. Every product produced today is “cheaper and less solid” than products produced 30 years ago. But technology and engineering has often meant these products do the same job or better for a cheaper price using less materials. And if a part fails it’s cheaper and more efficient to replace it rather than repair it.

It’s nice to have a more solid product that feels like “quality” but is it really important or just inefficient and wasteful?

#26 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I always have to laugh at people who make these sweeping generalizations and have no understanding or knowledge of Pinball history, and have not for one second considered what it would have been like if pinside had previously existed and every single defect or break had been photographed and shared instantly with tens of thousands of anal hobbyists.
I’m not gonna rehash it but you should learn yourself. I’m sure 90s pinside would have been thrilled about GI connectors, and flipper optos, and the TZ clock. I’m sure 80s pinside would have had lots of nice to things to say about every gottlieb premier digital system from 1978-1990.
There is zero evidence - zilch - that pinball machines being built today are of worse quality or less reliable out of the box than the sainted glory games built in the 90s. It’s all confirmation bias by people who want to complain and are nostalgic for something they didn’t experience and didn’t exist: the impeccable glory days of unimpeachable pinball quality.
They are pinball machines. Shit breaks. Always been that way.
Stop our whining. It’s unseemly.

Wow, for the biggest troll on Pjnside, you’re easy to troll.

And it’s great that we’re lauging at each other. Pinball is fun after all.

Do I have to remind you this thread was started about a Deadpool Pro that is probably less than 6 months old. Do you honestly think these modern Stern games will be playing as well as 90’s BW games in 30 years?

And besides, my argument was “does it even matter”? Most games are sold to home users and will last 50 years under those conditions anyway.

#29 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Disregarding the unprovable, hypothetical inanities of the question you pose about 30 years from now...are you really congratulating yourself for provoking a response on a forum where the entire point is to respond to other people’s posts?
Well played. You are truly a strategic genius and I fell right into your trap. You have
Trolled me.
And furthermore, you did it easily!!!
Damn you.

Funnily enough, when i wrote my original post I suspected someone like you would react the way you did (hence the Stern fan boy reference), so it was fitting that you did. But I wasn’t deliberately trolling you - more just a fortunate side effect.

#30 3 months ago

But seriously, would be great to hear from professional restorers who work on older games.

I’ve completely stripped and “restored” 4 90’s BW games, including tumbling every single part, dismantling and cleaning all motors and mechs, cleaning up cabinets etc. The games came back like new. And every non original replacement part I had to buy was noticeably inferior to the original part I was replacing.

The only reference I have to compare what a Stern game would be like after 20 years was a DE Starship Troopers, which was essentially the same as a Stern Whitestar game. I was planning to restore it but it was a mess. I felt that even that had more “solid build quality” than current Stern games.

Having said all that, modern Stern games are so much more fun than most of the older BW games, and most of the current games being produced, so does it really matter what they’ll be like in 30 years? They’re are just better all round games IMO.

And don’t make me bring out a carguement Levi.....but my current car is so lightweight and “plasticy”, it dents almost just by looking at it. But the tech, drive comfort, efficiency, safety and even aesthetics mean it’s impsossible to compare to a car 30 years older. The 30 year old car feels heavier and more solid, but when I had a choice I went with the new car. It wasn’t even a contest.

#42 3 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

That's the debate. Leds do draw low voltage but there is more to it than that from what I read. Game was not designed with powered mods in mind so could be pushing something over the line or maybe the leds spike power at times like on startup. If it was me, I would power any mods with external power source just to be safe. Knowing Stern, doubt they are overbuilding these pins. I'm hardly the expert but do recall blowing out a gi string on my Getaway long ago when I added one small power strip. I still had incandescent bulbs in the string and it was already at the limit from the factory.

But his Munsters Pro and Kiss don’t have Pinstadiums and both of those had issues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Concord, CA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
York, PA
$ 50.00
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside